• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What is a Mom to wear in the summer?

We go in September, when it is hotter than the surface of the sun. I wear sundresses almost every day. It is so much cooler! My husband wears the backpack, so anything we need is in there. With the magic band, I didn't even have to carry a wallet around (DH had his just in case, though!)

So I am trying to plan for our summer trip and am wondering what type of apparel is appropriate for the summer season? I know it is going to be hotter than heck and I will not get by in my usual jean capris :) I'm assuming I'll take a few sundresses... but shorts wise, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!!!

I love wearing Columbia Bahama shirts and their sandy river shorts. You can get the shorts in regular or cargo (which just mean they have a button and extra pocket). The shirts are a button up but with air vents in the arms and back. Very cooling! And if you get soaked all your clothes will dry in about 15 minutes. I ALWAYS wear this to Disney - at least the shirt.

A few years ago I switched to moisture wicking fabrics for the parks. AWESOME! There are some great options in the golf sections of the sports apparel stores. They even have some of those skorts someone else mentioned.
The hiking stores have some great fabric options too. I gave up on cotton and linen after our first trip in 2007. My clothing was damp all day.

This year, I'm trying the Columbia line that is made out of their omni-freeze fabric. It is supposed to be sweat activated cooling fabric.

I'm a mom in her 40s, three kids 5 and under. I wear sun dresses/skirts/skorts/shorts.
I cannot fathom wearing denim anything in the summer/hot, humid months.
If you're not a fan of dresses/skirts, I'd look in to some outdoor/hiking shorts or work out-type shorts that will dry quickly.

Why can't mom's wear shorts? Perhaps its because I live in Florida and am not into any trendy fashions any more, but I don't understand the concept of being a mom and not being able to be comfortable in the hot Florida sun. I only own 1 pair of long pants and wear capris or Bermuda shorts to work every day.

Wear what you like. Be comfortable. Denim is not the best choice but if you like it wear it. Mom's are truly the most important people on Disney trips so wear what you like.

Sundresses will get in the way, the wind will catch them, the strollers and wheel chairs rushing the other direction will catch them, and they are usually thin and that will burn your bottom.

Stick with natural fibers for the best and most comfortable day.

A few years ago I switched to moisture wicking fabrics for the parks. AWESOME! There are some great options in the golf sections of the sports apparel stores. They even have some of those skorts someone else mentioned.
The hiking stores have some great fabric options too. I gave up on cotton and linen after our first trip in 2007. My clothing was damp all day.

This year, I'm trying the Columbia line that is made out of their omni-freeze fabric. It is supposed to be sweat activated cooling fabric.

Good advice. I have some of these...dry quickly.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1358339/Reebok-Workout-Ready-Running-Performance-Shorts-Women-s.jsp?isRequestFromHorRichRelavance=true

sun dresses can be fine, if not too tight in the bodice...then they can be hot. Fabric is key. As long as the fabric is light and wicks well, you'll be great. I can't wear capris, they look weird on me. I tend to wear more athletic type shorts. They are the most comfy for me.

I wear exactly what I would wear at home during the summer. :confused3

Shorts, capris, skorts, skirts, dresses... and even jeans :scared:, lol. I wouldn't wear jeans on a water ride, but otherwise, I probably pull them out once or twice in a trip...

I'm pretty fit but I am still a Mom so I need to start shopping to find some fashionable shorts! I usually live in sundresses in the summer!

Why can't mom's wear shorts? Perhaps its because I live in Florida and am not into any trendy fashions any more, but I don't understand the concept of being a mom and not being able to be comfortable in the hot Florida sun.

I don't understand the "I'm a mom" thing, either. Only thing that being a female parent ever helped me with was the need to remember not to bend straight over while caring for DS, no matter how selfless I was being, because that's really not a good look for anyone.

I have a growing collection of the medium length shorts from Old Navy as well.

Where did you buy them? I saw them on Amazon but I have no idea if I'd be small or medium or if it even looked good on me. I'd have to try them on. They look cute and I like that they are light weight, but I have but sometimes cute on the hanger doesn't equal cute on me. :rotfl:

FWIW Athleta has free returns for every order, so if you order directly that would be helpful.

I have these in every color; is the sole thing I wear (for 'bottoms') at Disney (year round): LL Bean "comfort trail short misses." They sell the same thing in a 'skort,' and I think capris, but I've only tried the shorts so far.

9" length - no need for anyone to see my Mom thighs. 3 zippers (that lie flat)! If it weren't for my camera I wouldn't need to bring a bag at all - I keep everything in the (secure!) pockets. Microfiber-ish, lightweight fabric that dries quickly after Splash Mt., but isn't 'velvet' feeling/annoying. (I'll never wear cotton shorts to Florida again - we go in August and cotton never dries.) The medium colored one matches any dirt you could pick up when sitting on the curb waiting for a parade. Adjustable hidden waist! I was fine after 12 days of free dining last August! :)

You really need to meet my mom. She always wear shorter bottoms than mine LOL She has very beautiful legs, even in her 50's, but not so thick, unlike mine. Because of my leg's thickness, I always have rash between my legs with short bottoms.

I wear light capri pants, or the longer style shorts. I'm not going for fashion at Disney. I do wear cute tshirts and tops, so that makes up for it.

I wear the same shorts I wear at home and thin cotton tshirts. I don't think I own any shorts longer than a 5-inch inseam, but I am short. If i know we are probably going to get wet, I wear athletic type shorts that dry fast. I always take a pair of khaki capris if we have dinner reservations somewhere nice.

Kiava clothing has adorable petal skorts. A little on the pricey side but they are very comfortable and super cute for moms and not-moms. \http://www.kiavaclothing.com/shop.html

Tess

Adorable. Thanks for sharing this!

I wear the same shorts I wear at home and thin cotton tshirts. I don't think I own any shorts longer than a 5-inch inseam, but I am short. If i know we are probably going to get wet, I wear athletic type shorts that dry fast. I always take a pair of khaki capris if we have dinner reservations somewhere nice.

I forgot to mention this as well. I will roll up a skort or khakis and put them in my bag. I'm 53. I'm not a toothpick, but just average and about 5'7. I wear what is comfy without looking outrageous. I don't like long shorts, but like others have mentioned, wear what is comfy. In summer, in FL, denim isn't your friend, tho'.
;)

I'm tall - so "regular" shorts are way too short for me - unless we're at the beach or pool. In warm weather, for the parks I stick to capri-length and just above-the knee length bottoms. Sundresses are good too, but I wear stretchy bike-shorts underneath since I know I will be crouched down digging around in a stroller basket, picking up things the kids dropped, and tying kids' shoes all the live-long day. And if I choose to wear a sundress, you can bet that day will be very breezy (never fails!!).

I do wear denim to the parks - but it's usually a lighter-weight kind with stretch in them. Very comfy and they dry faster and better than plain old denim if we do end up on a water ride.

Places I shop: Rue 21, Old Navy, Charlotte Russe, Papaya, Aeropostale, Macys

Yes, I realize lots of teens shop at these places (including my 19 year old DD) - but I find a lot of the "womens" stores have clothing that's just too frumpy or boxy for me, and they are a bit pricey too. I just make sure to choose things that work well with my body type and I skip anything with too much glitter, anything with words on the front or butt, or skulls LOL.

I've worn sundresses before but found that I was always trying to make sure they didn't blow up (not "blow up", but blow....up!) I've found something else that I love wearing in the parks.... "Whatever Skorts" by Athleta. The fabric is comfy and dries quickly. I also just ordered the "Wherever Skort" which is fabulous. It's the light feeling of a skirt, but the comfort of the built in shorts is much better than a sundress in my opinion. Leaving in less than 2 weeks for a quick trip and will be taking my skorts by Athleta.

I second the Athleta skirts. I just bought this one and it is awesome. I definitely will be buying the same one in another color. Pricey but I can never find comfortable shorts so to me it is worth it.

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=86354&vid=1&pid=219056032

I wear tank style/halter maxi dresses or tanks with maxi skirts and my flip flops. In all the years I've been going, these keep me coolest. Shorts/pants/capris make me too hot.

Kiava clothing has adorable petal skorts. A little on the pricey side but they are very comfortable and super cute for moms and not-moms.
http://www.kiavaclothing.com/shop.html

Tess

Adorable, I must get one :) I'm loving all of the suggestions, thanks so much! I know I don't need a new wardrobe for Disney but I'm just starting to shop for some new summer clothes so of course I have our trip in mind as well :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter