What happens if a child turns 3 DURING your trip?

fifthdimensiondweller

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

This is sort of a random question, and I'm sure it's been asked, but how do tickets work if a child is turning 3 on, say, the 3rd day of your trip? Do you only have to pay for a ticket for the child on the days they are actually 3? Do you have to purchase a ticket for a 3 year old for the whole length of your stay? More a question out of curiosity than anything.

We had this happen to us, he was considered 2 the entire trip. This is what a phone CM told me as well. Also, even when we celebrated his 3rd birthday on his actual birthday-it was very obvious, we were not charged for his meal (Crystal Palace).

I don't have first hand experience with it but I heard on a podcast not too long ago that the age at check in is how it works. So if you check in a day before they turn 3 they are free the entire time.

They are free based on their age upon check in if you stay at Disney hotels or age of 1st day of trip. It works pretty much on the honor system so no worries.

My son turned three during our trip last year, we went to Chef Mickey's on his birthday and weren't charged for him (ordered a cake for him that was very cute, highly recommend checking out the cake thread on the restaurant forum).

I looked into this as well, DD turns 3 right after our trip. They are considered 2 if they are still 2 on the first day you check in :) Last "cheap" trip for us- next time we go the little one will be 3+, and middle still considered a child (but not for long), and the oldest will be an "adult" since he'll be over 10... Yikes!

We also went for my youngest daughter's 3rd birthday (she turned 3 on the 2nd day of the trip). I was really worried because we had "free" dining for 10 days and I think 8 of those days we ate at a character meal. I didn't want to have to pay out-of-pocket for all of those meals, and offered to buy a ticket for her (age her up, essentially) but Disney assured me she would be fine, and she was.

With the exception of 1 cast member at the DHS turnstile (who was honestly pretty rude about it), nobody ever asked her age.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter