What do you think...Sanaa for lunch?

anotherhb

Easy on the Ears
I've never gotten the opportunity to try Sanaa, but I've wanted to for a while. I was thinking of taking a long leisurely lunch before MNSSHP to enjoy the scenery and food.

For those of you who have tried it, do you recommend it?

What is your favorite dish?

I haven't been there since they first opened so I won't recommend any specific food but I do remember it being very good. The desserts were a little strange but they have since changed. We have a lunch adr for November. Lunch is great here as it is obviously still daylight and the animal viewing while dining is so unique. Great atmosphere and you could also spend some time walking around Jambo as there is a lot to see there.

Our Ratings of Sanaa: (*rev 03/13/2014*)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: A
. . . character interaction: B (views of animals on savannah)

Our Recommendations:
. . . appys:... Indian Style Bread Service, Lamb Kefta
. . . entree:.. Tandoori Lamb, Beef Short Ribs
. . . dessert:. Banana Kulfi Sundae (if not on menu, ask for it from Kid's Menu)

NOTE1: Has good regional African food. Americanized, but definitely more adventurous
than other eateries. The menu is shorter than other table service eateries, the wine list
average, but the quality of the food and presentation are high. An added benefit is the
viewing animals on the Savannah during the meal (for daylight hours). There are eight
window tables and six more with good views. For lunch, try the Lamb Kefta open face
sandwich; for dinner, try the beef and lamb. Don't miss out on the Banana Kulfi Sundae.
We really like the bread appy/sampler, as well as the salad sampler with three salads;
either will feed two people. Be aware that items labeled as "Durban" are highly spiced,
best washed down with cold milk! It is out of the way, but is worth the long drive. This
is only one of the five sit down eateries we patronize at WDW. In our opinion, Sanaa is
better than Jiko or Boma. As a side note, Sanaa changed their "trio dessert" in October
2013. We were not impressed as the previous version. In fact, color us underwhelmed.
As a postscript, they accomodate kids really well.

NOTE2: We prefer the lunch over the dinner.
. . . the fare is a little lighter
. . . the price is better
. . . the appys and salads are the same
. . . the lower number of people eating
. . . the ability to see animals on the savannah

I think it is delicious.

We has the Naan bread with all the dips.

I has some dish where you get two choices with rice. One was this melt in your mouth meat. Don't recall the other. Looking at Allears, it was definitely the braises short ribs and I am positive the butter chicken. Both were good. The short ribs were heavenly.
My daughter had a lamb burger (grilled lamb kefta)--she enjoyed it. I tasted it and liked my food better. ;-)

I also ordered the most scrumptious grown up drink. No idea what it was called--but it has chocolate (but no kahlua)--very, very yummy.

We went for lunch. I think we skipped dessert.

Rusty, do you have a link to all of your reviews? You and Dean have been so helpful. Thank you.

Definitely try and make it over there. Sanaa is one of our favorite meals in property as you can't beat the food and animal views. The bread service is not to be missed, nor is the butter chicken or Durban shrimp. Both were awesome. Love that you could get 2 entree choices in one meal.

I find it to be one of the best dining experiences on property! The Spicey Durban shrimp with naan bread app is my fav!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We had a late lunch ADR at Sanaa. That gave us time to pretty-much finish AK. The restaurant was mostly empty and we were given a table by the window. Giraffes were nearby during the whole meal, and we had a view of other animals. We had the Naan bread, can't remember our entrees, but they were both good. Sanaa was a gem, and late lunch was the perfect dining time there.

How big are the lunch portions? Are they big enough to share? I'm thinking the rice with beef short ribs entree.

Not being fans of Indian food, would one recommend Sanna? The menu (mainly the bread service and other appetizers) is oddly appealing.

Not being fans of Indian food, would one recommend Sanna? The menu (mainly the bread service and other appetizers) is oddly appealing.
I don't normally eat/like Indian food but y husband and I really enjoyed Sanaa. The naan and dips were so good and the tandoori chicken was delicious. The choose 2 was a little too adventurous for me. :)

Thanks! I will stick with our plan and grab lunch there after AK. Naan and tandoori chicken sound delicious!

We ate lunch at Sanaa twice on our last trip in March and thought lunch was better than the dinner we had eaten on a prior trip. I had a burger at one of the lunches that was one of the best I'd ever eaten. I vote - do it!

We love Sanaa! This has become a must do for us each trip :)

We have only gone for lunch (my favorite item is only on the lunch menu). Our favorite appetizer is the Potato and Pea Samosas With Mango Chutney.
I love the Tandoori Chicken Sandwich (It is an open face style sandwich with chicken, greens, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, 2 sauces on Naan bread...reminds me of a Chicken Gyro of sorts). DH loves the Spicy Durban Shrimp and Short Ribs With Basmati Rice. We have had a desert there before but when we were there recently they changed it a bit and we decided against desert that day. It was called Banana Kulfi...it was like a fancy banana split type desert. The desert is now listed as a Seasonal Kulfi instead of banana.

I would suggest Sanaa to anyone. I prefer lunch over dinner myself. I'm not a huge Indian Food fan, but I really have enjoyed some good meal here.

Love Sanaa and only go for lunch as we think part of the atmosphere is the close proximity to the animals. Go as soon as it opens and request a window seat. :goodvibes Food is good, the service has always been some of our best on property. Portions are a good size and I think you could share if you also got an appetizer. And we have gone here for our lunch before MNSSHP, relaxed morning, lunch, dip in pool and then it's costume time.

DisneyTHREE060.jpg
DisneyTHREE059.jpg
DisneyTHREE058.jpg
DisneySept2011SundayLastDay058.jpg
DisneySept2011SundayLastDay055.jpg
DisneySept2011SundayLastDay053.jpg
DisneySept2011SundayLastDay034.jpg
DisneyTHREE053.jpg

100% yes... GO! We LOVE Sanaa! One of my favorite restaurants at WDW :thumbsup2

Just wanted to report back that we went for a late lunch to Sanaa before MNSSHP on 9/9. We loved it!!!! The bread service is probably my favorite dish I've ever gotten on property. Wow! We scored a seat near the window and watched the giraffes walk by several times. It will definitely be a must do on any future trips to the World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter