• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What do I need to know and to do regarding scooter/ECV rental?

Your post is filled with great information, thank you! I was wondering about the extra basket so I'm glad you shared your experience. I would think that someone could lift anything out of it as it's behind you and you can't really see what's going on.

I also appreciate the info about people darting in front of you. I can be quite vocal at times *ahem* so I just might shout at them (in a nice Disney sort of way lol) :rolleyes1

On one trip I actually had a big, burly man walking towards me from the side without looking where he was going. I was driving to the side to avoid him and HIS wife yelled at him to watch where he was going. He looked down at me on the scooter and just said "I'll just knock her over". Nice. Made me angry and actually hurt as well. I learned a lot about human nature that first year.
There are so many parents who don't watch their children running around, and then blame you if there is an issue. There are so many people who just "squeeze" in front of you, unaware that you don't have a brake. At any rate, it was an adventure.

On one trip I actually had a big, burly man walking towards me from the side without looking where he was going. I was driving to the side to avoid him and HIS wife yelled at him to watch where he was going. He looked down at me on the scooter and just said "I'll just knock her over". Nice. Made me angry and actually hurt as well. I learned a lot about human nature that first year.
There are so many parents who don't watch their children running around, and then blame you if there is an issue. There are so many people who just "squeeze" in front of you, unaware that you don't have a brake. At any rate, it was an adventure.

Good grief! Some people are just too senseless to be out on their own lol! I have an edge to me (when I need it) so I'd probably have a few words for him ;)

Maybe I'll pack a water pistol/bottle and spray them if they cut me off lol! (kidding, kidding)

I too now need to rent an ECV. This October will be my 3rd time renting.
The first year I rented from Buena Vista Scooters, a preferred provider, so it was waiting for me on arrival and I left it with Bell Services when I was done. I was very pleased with the scooter and the service. I too charged it overnight, every night and it lasted all day and evening in Epcot. But I always carried the charger with me during the day, just in case. It had a small basket and I rented an accessory basket for the back - which I really didn't need. The extra basket also make the scooter a bit longer and I thought a bit harder to back in on the bus.
Last year, I obsessed about rain and the scooter getting wet. Buena Vista cautions about using it in the rain on their site.
Because of this I ended up renting from Walker Mobility, who advertises "water resistant" scooters. I called and asked why theirs were and other companies weren't and they said they rent a different manufacturers scooters.
I arranged delivery and pickup times with them. They were waiting for me as I got off the ME bus at the BCV on arrival and I only waited about 20 minutes to hand it off as we leaving. I was actually early for our scheduled pickup. They called and told me they were on the way when they were 20 minutes away. It was very easy and I will rent from Walker again this year.
One thing I learned the first year is that you need to be alert and aware ALL THE TIME. Folks dart in front of you, stop dead in front of you, walk into you like you didn't even exists. They were always getting between me and my husband, who I was trying to follow. It was exhausting - much more tiring than walking a day in the park.
But it also enabled me to continue to go to Disney and I wouldn't be able to without it now.
I am glad for all the years I had "soaking in the atmosphere" of the parks, because I now longer have the freedom to look around as I go.
Good Luck
I strongly advise against getting the basket that attaches to the back if you plan on using the buses. They are not permitted on the buses and will have to be removed. An easier solution to extra storage is getting a good backpack and hanging it on the back of the seat....one with nice wide shoulder straps, adjust it to fit the seat snugly and you will be go to go!! I have done this for years and have never had mine fall off. And I travel with it and visit frequently.

ECVs most certainly do have a brake. They just don't have a brake pedal like a car. The brake engages as soon as you release the throttle. It just doesn't stop immediately. The same way your car brake doesn't stop as soon as you press it. :)

I strongly advise against getting the basket that attaches to the back if you plan on using the buses. They are not permitted on the buses and will have to be removed. An easier solution to extra storage is getting a good backpack and hanging it on the back of the seat....one with nice wide shoulder straps, adjust it to fit the seat snugly and you will be go to go!! I have done this for years and have never had mine fall off. And I travel with it and visit frequently.

This is a great idea for the backpack. When I had the back basket (2 years ago now) I definitely was allowed on all buses, It was just more difficult to parallel park. No one ever asked me to remove it. But I too, do not recommend it

ECVs most certainly do have a brake. They just don't have a brake pedal like a car. The brake engages as soon as you release the throttle. It just doesn't stop immediately. The same way your car brake doesn't stop as soon as you press it. :)

I understand that the scooters "stop" when you release the lever. But I do not consider that a traditional brake. I can not stop any shorter to avoid hitting the person who darts in my path. JMHO

I understand that the scooters "stop" when you release the lever. But I do not consider that a traditional brake. I can not stop any shorter to avoid hitting the person who darts in my path. JMHO
But it is a brake. Just because you are not "pressing it" (like a pedal) doesn't mean it's not a traditional brake in design. It actually engages faster than if you had to press what you refer to as a "traditional brake" because it engages the second the throttle is released. Unlike a car, there is no neutral/coasting while driving.
And if you have actually ever measured... I own mine, so we did this once just for giggles. They roll less than 12 inches from the time you release the throttle until it stops. It honestly just seems much further than what it truly is.

So much valuable information ~ I truly appreciate all the posts! :)

One thing I learned the first year is that you need to be alert and aware ALL THE TIME. Folks dart in front of you, stop dead in front of you, walk into you like you didn't even exists. They were always getting between me and my husband, who I was trying to follow. It was exhausting - much more tiring than walking a day in the park.
But it also enabled me to continue to go to Disney and I wouldn't be able to without it now.
I am glad for all the years I had "soaking in the atmosphere" of the parks, because I now longer have the freedom to look around as I go.
This really was the worst part. As we approached more congested areas, I just told my husband and son I'd meet them at x location and then I would work through the crowd without the extra stress of trying to stay with them.

I really did miss the 'soaking it in' aspect. I left feeling like something was missing from the trip :(

This really was the worst part. As we approached more congested areas, I just told my husband and son I'd meet them at x location and then I would work through the crowd without the extra stress of trying to stay with them.

I really did miss the 'soaking it in' aspect. I left feeling like something was missing from the trip :(

I'm sorry about your experience in that regard... that can't be fun :-/ For me, the 'soaking it in' aspect isn't an issue but I can certainly understand how it would be if you had to travel far to visit WDW.

on my last trip I walked right in front of someone in a ECV I did not see him until I was right on top of him and went to say I was sorry and he yelled at me that I was looking right at him I looked at him and said it may have appeared I was but I have a vision problem he goes on to yell at me some more and said if I did have a vision problem then I would have some sign like a cain or something I stood there speechless while he went away another guest came up to me that saw it all she looked at me and said I can see what your vision problem is as her son has the same thing ( anyone that know this vision problem can really see it some times)

I am saying this because you never know what someone see or dose not see in a crowded area my vision problem get really bad and if you at on night time with those flashing light it is all I can do just to get out of it. So the next time someone darts in front of you it just maybe someone with a vision problem ( I know very unlikely but it could be) also I think we all need to remember that the rides will not leave that the wait time will be very close to the same if we get there 30 second latter

ok end of my little rant and no this was not at anyone I just wanted people to see the other side I know it is not easy at all to be in a ECV at disney

on my last trip I walked right in front of someone in a ECV I did not see him until I was right on top of him and went to say I was sorry and he yelled at me that I was looking right at him I looked at him and said it may have appeared I was but I have a vision problem he goes on to yell at me some more and said if I did have a vision problem then I would have some sign like a cain or something I stood there speechless while he went away another guest came up to me that saw it all she looked at me and said I can see what your vision problem is as her son has the same thing ( anyone that know this vision problem can really see it some times)

I am saying this because you never know what someone see or dose not see in a crowded area my vision problem get really bad and if you at on night time with those flashing light it is all I can do just to get out of it. So the next time someone darts in front of you it just maybe someone with a vision problem ( I know very unlikely but it could be) also I think we all need to remember that the rides will not leave that the wait time will be very close to the same if we get there 30 second latter

ok end of my little rant and no this was not at anyone I just wanted people to see the other side I know it is not easy at all to be in a ECV at disney

Him yelling at you just says a lot about him as a person... whether or not he was on a scooter. Don't let that get to you. Crabs come in lots of forms ;) I understand all about vision problems. Right now, I'm in-between major eye surgeries to restore the vision in my left eye as much as they can.

I talked to my hubby and we've decided to go with the larger scooter due to the simple fact that he will need to drive it when I'm off doing something else. I don't want to have to walk back and pick up a scooter once I park it and go in a different direction. He physically can't fit in the smaller one due to being 6'5" tall. Heck, you should see us when we try to buy a car!

t. I left it in the hall over night in one of the recessed areas and was able to charge it there as well.

This isn't necessarily the best idea. We're responsible for the medical equipment we rent, and purposely leaving it unattended out of our sight for a number of consecutive hours can be risky. While the ECV does take up space in the room, it fits even in a Value room with some rearrangement.

This isn't necessarily the best idea. We're responsible for the medical equipment we rent, and purposely leaving it unattended out of our sight for a number of consecutive hours can be risky. While the ECV does take up space in the room, it fits even in a Value room with some rearrangement.

Other than physically carrying it, how would one move an ECV? Doesn't it turn off/lock when you remove the key?

Other than physically carrying it, how would one move an ECV? Doesn't it turn off/lock when you remove the key?
All ECVs have a lever (usually in the back on the bottom near the rear wheels) that allows it to be put in a "free wheel" mode. This allows the unit to be manually pushed without a key. This is how the CMs can move any unit they need to anywhere they need to without the key.

Valet switch. There's lever somewhere on very ECV that allows it to be rolled without a key.

eta: but not just that; anyone can damage it (graffiti, cut) or take it apart without too much difficulty.

All ECVs have a lever (usually in the back on the bottom near the rear wheels) that allows it to be put in a "free wheel" mode. This allows the unit to be manually pushed without a key. This is how the CMs can move any unit they need to anywhere they need to without the key.

Oh, ok. I see.

I rented one for my last trip in March due to a severely sprained ankle. I can't remember who I got it from, either Buena Vista or Apple and I was also staying at Boardwalk Villas.

It was waiting for me at bell services when I arrived and I left it with them when we checked out. I left it in the hall over night in one of the recessed areas and was able to charge it there as well. It was super easy to ride it over to Epcot and Studios; I just rode over while DH and DS took the boat. I was not very good at getting it on or off the boats and busses, but the drivers or my husband would do that part for me if needed.

The scooter company will ask you how large the rider will be in order to give you the right size; and I believe they all have some sort of basket or bag attached. As the week went on, my ankle felt a bit better, so I would usually park it before going in stores or on rides instead of taking it through the lines or battling crowds.

Just beware of people, especially kids, stopping fast or darting out in front of you. I was pretty stressed by the end of each day from having to be on guard all day. Otherwise, it was very easy to navigate around.
I just noticed this post from earlier...
Another problem with leaving your ECV in an unattended area to charge... unfortunately there are people who don't like them and kids who think it is funny to mess with them and there is a chance that it may be unplugged by one of those inconsiderate parties. And when you get up the next morning, you will expect to have a charged battery and it won't be.
It really is in your best interest to keep your equipment under your care/control as much as possible. And not leave it totally unattended where no one is watching. That is potentially asking for an issue.

I have a pride mobility go go sport and keep a large tote between my legs on the scooter to stow things and when I get up I take it with me

A couple of quick thoughts for @Ziggie

First of all, don't worry about having an HA room if you don't need one. Typically, you'll know if you need one. If you can (safely) get in and out of the shower, and don't need grab bars in the shower or next to the toilet, you should be fine.

Regarding the size of the ECV - talk with your rental company, and let them know about your plan - they can advise you best on which scooter to rent in your specific situation. I'm an expert on my personal ECV that I own, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about any scooter other than mine outside of generalities.

Next, do keep your ECV in your room overnight, when charging. For lots of reasons... not the least of which is that you don't want someone messing around with the equipment that is your "legs".

You got some really good advice re: the backpack in lieu of a rear basket. Resist the urge to make your ECV into a pack-mule; it's so easy to drag along extra "stuff" when you think "Oh well, I'll just throw that on the scooter too..." Not to mention the fact that I hate spending my Park time at bag check with security! They are super nice people, but I'm at WDW to play! :)

As far as transportation goes, you probably have seen in the past how the buses will work - you will load the ECV first, but get off last. Your family will board with you. It's easy, just drive straight up the center of the ramp, and don't turn until you are at the very top - and take your cues from the driver.

Monorails have portable ramps to bridge the space between the platform and the car. You will see those same portable ramps in use on many of the other boats at WDW - especially the boats around HS, Epcot and Disney Springs. The only places you will have an issue with boats are some of the smaller launches where you have to step down into the boat. Those can't take your ECV. All of the other boats at WDW are fine.

Yes, you will have to watch out for people darting out in front of you - little kids, morons who can't keep their face out of their phones, and the self-absorbed selfie-takers. But here's a little secret for you: You have to watch out for those same people if you walk, or if you use a mobility device. Don't let that freak you out. Take a few minutes to practice - really practice! with your rental unit before you take off for the parks, and get a good feel for how it turns, how it stops, how it handles in general. Remember that you need to cross the tracks embedded in Main Street in the Magic Kingdom at an angle. And if you can, have someone "flank" you on either side, (or front and back, if you prefer) to help create a buffer if needed.

Don't worry - I have been using an ECV at WDW for a lot longer than I would like, and generally speaking, it's SO much easier now than it was even 5 years ago.

I hope your trip is everything you want it to be! :)

Because of this I ended up renting from Walker Mobility, who advertises "water resistant" scooters. I called and asked why theirs were and other companies weren't and they said they rent a different manufacturers scooters.

Walker's larger scooter model isn't one of those fancy electronics models which other companies rent. I mean no offence if someone actually owns one of them, I am just going by what they have told me when they had to replace my small, electronics heavy portale GoGo with their larger model (not a Pride). I was told it's water resistant because it only has minimal electronics in the dashboard. You have a manual meter with a needle that goes up and down VS bright flashy LEDs in different colors. That's pretty much also the reason why they are staying with that model because it's les likely to act up in the heat and humidty which is a big problem with their smaller model.

At Universal I had their bigger model because it was all they had left when the portable smaller one broke down. The seat was way too wide for me (I'm tiny) and therefore I also couldn't put the backpack on the back of the seat. Of course my backpack also didn't fit in the front basket so I was left with placing it between my legs the first day which was very awkward. Since the seat was too wide for me, I also couldn't really make use of the armrests because they were too far out. I didn't use it on any buses or boats since we always walked from and to our hotel. At WDW, I had the smaller model. Now getting on and off buses, monorails, boats with that one was a breeze. It was a 3-wheeler so you could turn the front wheel a full 90° which meant you were able to make really small turns on the bus (the backwheels basically stood still if you did this, so you basically just rotated the front). The seat was perfect for my size, I could make good use of the armrests and my backpack fit the back of the seat. Oh, and another difference between the scooters - for operating the GoGo, you have to pull the lever towards the handle with your hand, so basically you are holding onto the lever and the handle at the same time. For the larger model, you have to push the lever towards the handle with your thumb. I found that to be very uncomfortable after a while to the point where I was steering the ECV with my left hand and pushing the lever with the palm of my right hand. Very awkward.

One recommendation I can make though is that when you park your ECV, flip down the back of the seat if possible. I didn't do that the first few times I parked it and always returned to a hot seat when I couldn't find a shady point. I had vowed to bring a towel the next day to put on until one of the CMs at Universal pointed out to me I should just flip down the back. No more hot seats after that, even if the ECV was parked in the bright sun. I didn't notice a lot of people doing that but I did notice a lot of people with towels on their seats.

A couple of quick thoughts for @Ziggie

First of all, don't worry about having an HA room if you don't need one. Typically, you'll know if you need one. If you can (safely) get in and out of the shower, and don't need grab bars in the shower or next to the toilet, you should be fine.

Regarding the size of the ECV - talk with your rental company, and let them know about your plan - they can advise you best on which scooter to rent in your specific situation. I'm an expert on my personal ECV that I own, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about any scooter other than mine outside of generalities.

Next, do keep your ECV in your room overnight, when charging. For lots of reasons... not the least of which is that you don't want someone messing around with the equipment that is your "legs".

You got some really good advice re: the backpack in lieu of a rear basket. Resist the urge to make your ECV into a pack-mule; it's so easy to drag along extra "stuff" when you think "Oh well, I'll just throw that on the scooter too..." Not to mention the fact that I hate spending my Park time at bag check with security! They are super nice people, but I'm at WDW to play! :)

As far as transportation goes, you probably have seen in the past how the buses will work - you will load the ECV first, but get off last. Your family will board with you. It's easy, just drive straight up the center of the ramp, and don't turn until you are at the very top - and take your cues from the driver.

Monorails have portable ramps to bridge the space between the platform and the car. You will see those same portable ramps in use on many of the other boats at WDW - especially the boats around HS, Epcot and Disney Springs. The only places you will have an issue with boats are some of the smaller launches where you have to step down into the boat. Those can't take your ECV. All of the other boats at WDW are fine.

Yes, you will have to watch out for people darting out in front of you - little kids, morons who can't keep their face out of their phones, and the self-absorbed selfie-takers. But here's a little secret for you: You have to watch out for those same people if you walk, or if you use a mobility device. Don't let that freak you out. Take a few minutes to practice - really practice! with your rental unit before you take off for the parks, and get a good feel for how it turns, how it stops, how it handles in general. Remember that you need to cross the tracks embedded in Main Street in the Magic Kingdom at an angle. And if you can, have someone "flank" you on either side, (or front and back, if you prefer) to help create a buffer if needed.

Don't worry - I have been using an ECV at WDW for a lot longer than I would like, and generally speaking, it's SO much easier now than it was even 5 years ago.

I hope your trip is everything you want it to be! :)

Thanks so much MB for your great post! So much terrific and helpful information
up_zps7e4507a7.gif

I've never, ever rode/rented/owned a scooter before. I walk just fine in my everyday life.... however! I don't spend a lot of time at malls or things like that, because that gets to be too much. The only reason I want to rent a scooter for this particular Disney trip is I know there's a lot of walking at EPCOT. I was planning on riding the boat over (or motoring over like Bethany did) and using it there for the day.

I did just notice that the rental requirement is "2-Day Minimum". Hmm.. not sure what to think about that as I won't need it for 2 days
hmm_zpsbsbnsubx.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter