What do I need to know and to do regarding scooter/ECV rental?

Ziggie

The TF Fairy is Inspiried by Ziggie
We've been going to WDW since forever but this coming August will be the first trip where I hope to rent a scooter because I just can't "go the distance" anymore (as they say). However, I have absolutely no experience whatsoever in renting a scooter (things I need to know, things I need to do) and was hoping the knowledgeable members here at the DIS can help guide me.

Basics:

We'll be staying at The Boardwalk Villas
I want a scooter there when we arrive + want to be able to leave it there when we depart
I will need it for entire days (but maybe not for the entire trip)
I'm guessing I'll need one of the larger ones due to the fact that I'll probably need to carry things (bag w/sunscreen, purse, etc.)

Questions:

What type of scooter/ECV do you recommend for me?
Where do I rent it from?
Do I need a handicapped room? (we currently do not have a handicapped room)
If we go to EPCOT, do I need to rent a scooter from there or can the one I rent be used?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I'm hoping I've provided enough information here to get started.

I'm ready and willing to learn ~ and appreciate all you can teach me :)

now that I have my laptop here are a few other things:

Just an FYI I have never rented an ECV ( I can not due to my disability) but I think you will want one that fits you so if you are a small 5 foot 100 pound person you do not want one that is made for a 6 foot 450 pound person. ( you can put a bag on the back of the set and I am sure others can tell you other ways to carry things) I have heard that ones with 3 wheels are easer to drive. they normally last all day but you need to turn them off when parked like for eating waiting for the parade. you do not have to use it all the time you can park it and walk most lines you can take your ECV in a few like space you have to have a wheel chair ( they have them at the rides) The CM will let you know what you need to do when you get there.

now that I have my laptop here are a few other things:

Just an FYI I have never rented an ECV ( I can not due to my disability) but I think you will want one that fits you so if you are a small 5 foot 100 pound person you do not want one that is made for a 6 foot 450 pound person. ( you can put a bag on the back of the set and I am sure others can tell you other ways to carry things) I have heard that ones with 3 wheels are easer to drive. they normally last all day but you need to turn them off when parked like for eating waiting for the parade. you do not have to use it all the time you can park it and walk most lines you can take your ECV in a few like space you have to have a wheel chair ( they have them at the rides) The CM will let you know what you need to do when you get there.

I'm short but my hubby is tall. I'm able to walk (as is he) but I just can't do all the walking that is required when visiting a park. I get exhausted in the Florida heat and my knees and feet aren't what they once were. The reason I'm interested in the bigger model is so that hubby can ride/drive it when I'm walking around. He's 6'5" tall.

I think you will be much more comftable with an ECV that fits you as I said before you do not have to ride it all the time if you are at EPCOT in world show case park it and walk around each country as or at the MK park it and maybe do a few short line/FP lines. your ECV will be fine just take the key with you some times CM move things to make room but if you park it where it is allowed ( and you can ask a CM ) then it should be close to where you parked it. I would not leave bags with it or food with it

I want to share the ECV with my hubby though so it's important to get one that fits us both. I like your idea of parking it and walking around.. that's probably what we'll wind up doing :)

You might want to get your husband his own if there is a big size difference

I talked to him a little bit ago and we're good on renting just one of the bigger scooters. I think it's what will work best for our family.

I'll bet you're anxiously looking forward to your next WDW trip! :)

what trip I have 4 booked before december and a few day trips I see you go a lot too

just remember a bigger ECV will be like sitting in a chair that is too big for you.

Ah, ok. I'm sure you're going to have fun!

My daughter and her family have 5 trips booked between now and when we'll all be up there this August. Hubby and I have really pulled back on going. We live close enough we could go for the day and be home in our own beds that night. But honestly, after 500+ trips... we're content to stay home :)

I rented one for my last trip in March due to a severely sprained ankle. I can't remember who I got it from, either Buena Vista or Apple and I was also staying at Boardwalk Villas.

It was waiting for me at bell services when I arrived and I left it with them when we checked out. I left it in the hall over night in one of the recessed areas and was able to charge it there as well. It was super easy to ride it over to Epcot and Studios; I just rode over while DH and DS took the boat. I was not very good at getting it on or off the boats and busses, but the drivers or my husband would do that part for me if needed.

The scooter company will ask you how large the rider will be in order to give you the right size; and I believe they all have some sort of basket or bag attached. As the week went on, my ankle felt a bit better, so I would usually park it before going in stores or on rides instead of taking it through the lines or battling crowds.

Just beware of people, especially kids, stopping fast or darting out in front of you. I was pretty stressed by the end of each day from having to be on guard all day. Otherwise, it was very easy to navigate around.

Last edited:
I rented one for my last trip in March due to a severely sprained ankle. I can't remember who I got it from, either Buena Vista or Apple and I was also staying at Boardwalk Villas.

It was waiting for me at bell services when I arrived and I left it with them when we checked out. I left it in the hall over night in one of the recessed areas and was able to charge it there as well. It was super easy to ride it over to Epcot and Studios; I just rode over while DH and DS took the boat. I was not very good at getting it on or off the boats and busses, but the drivers or my husband would do that part for me if needed. They will ask you how large the rider will be in order to give you the right size; and I believe they all have some sort of basket or bag attached. As the week went on, my ankle felt a bit better, so I would usually park it before going in stores or on rides instead of taking it through the lines or battling crowds.

Just beware of people, especially kids, stopping fast or darting out in front of you. I was pretty stressed by the end of each day from having to be on guard all day. Otherwise, it was very easy to navigate around.

Thanks so much Bethany! I really appreciate your insight :) I love the idea that the scooter will be there when I arrive and that I can just drop it off when I leave. Seems like a lot less hassle. Did you ride the boat to EPCOT or just motor over via the walkway? I would think the boat would use less battery? Or is that not really a concern?

Thanks so much Bethany! I really appreciate your insight :) I love the idea that the scooter will be there when I arrive and that I can just drop it off when I leave. Seems like a lot less hassle. Did you ride the boat to EPCOT or just motor over via the walkway? I would think the boat would use less battery? Or is that not really a concern?
I just rode over. It was much easier, and quicker, than the boat. I charged the batter over night and it lasted all day, every day. Even on the day we were at Epcot from open until close.

I will tell you, going up over the bridge can require a bit more power if you are a larger person. But it's only for a few seconds that you will need to crank the power on the chair. Then turn it back down to a nice walking pace to keep up with your party.

I just rode over. It was much easier, and quicker, than the boat. I charged the batter over night and it lasted all day, every day. Even on the day we were at Epcot from open until close.

I will tell you, going up over the bridge can require a bit more power if you are a larger person. But it's only for a few seconds that you will need to crank the power on the chair. Then turn it back down to a nice walking pace to keep up with your party.

This is wonderful advice Bethany, thanks so much! :) Right now, I'm leaning towards renting from Buena Vista.

I am north of Disney but I know a few that live south that I should visit but my car will only let me go to Disney when I go south.

:drive: Sounds about right!

I too now need to rent an ECV. This October will be my 3rd time renting.
The first year I rented from Buena Vista Scooters, a preferred provider, so it was waiting for me on arrival and I left it with Bell Services when I was done. I was very pleased with the scooter and the service. I too charged it overnight, every night and it lasted all day and evening in Epcot. But I always carried the charger with me during the day, just in case. It had a small basket and I rented an accessory basket for the back - which I really didn't need. The extra basket also make the scooter a bit longer and I thought a bit harder to back in on the bus.
Last year, I obsessed about rain and the scooter getting wet. Buena Vista cautions about using it in the rain on their site.
Because of this I ended up renting from Walker Mobility, who advertises "water resistant" scooters. I called and asked why theirs were and other companies weren't and they said they rent a different manufacturers scooters.
I arranged delivery and pickup times with them. They were waiting for me as I got off the ME bus at the BCV on arrival and I only waited about 20 minutes to hand it off as we leaving. I was actually early for our scheduled pickup. They called and told me they were on the way when they were 20 minutes away. It was very easy and I will rent from Walker again this year.
One thing I learned the first year is that you need to be alert and aware ALL THE TIME. Folks dart in front of you, stop dead in front of you, walk into you like you didn't even exists. They were always getting between me and my husband, who I was trying to follow. It was exhausting - much more tiring than walking a day in the park.
But it also enabled me to continue to go to Disney and I wouldn't be able to without it now.
I am glad for all the years I had "soaking in the atmosphere" of the parks, because I now longer have the freedom to look around as I go.
Good Luck

I too now need to rent an ECV. This October will be my 3rd time renting.
The first year I rented from Buena Vista Scooters, a preferred provider, so it was waiting for me on arrival and I left it with Bell Services when I was done. I was very pleased with the scooter and the service. I too charged it overnight, every night and it lasted all day and evening in Epcot. But I always carried the charger with me during the day, just in case. It had a small basket and I rented an accessory basket for the back - which I really didn't need. The extra basket also make the scooter a bit longer and I thought a bit harder to back in on the bus.
Last year, I obsessed about rain and the scooter getting wet. Buena Vista cautions about using it in the rain on their site.
Because of this I ended up renting from Walker Mobility, who advertises "water resistant" scooters. I called and asked why theirs were and other companies weren't and they said they rent a different manufacturers scooters.
I arranged delivery and pickup times with them. They were waiting for me as I got off the ME bus at the BCV on arrival and I only waited about 20 minutes to hand it off as we leaving. I was actually early for our scheduled pickup. They called and told me they were on the way when they were 20 minutes away. It was very easy and I will rent from Walker again this year.
One thing I learned the first year is that you need to be alert and aware ALL THE TIME. Folks dart in front of you, stop dead in front of you, walk into you like you didn't even exists. They were always getting between me and my husband, who I was trying to follow. It was exhausting - much more tiring than walking a day in the park.
But it also enabled me to continue to go to Disney and I wouldn't be able to without it now.
I am glad for all the years I had "soaking in the atmosphere" of the parks, because I now longer have the freedom to look around as I go.
Good Luck

Your post is filled with great information, thank you! I was wondering about the extra basket so I'm glad you shared your experience. I would think that someone could lift anything out of it as it's behind you and you can't really see what's going on.

I also appreciate the info about people darting in front of you. I can be quite vocal at times *ahem* so I just might shout at them (in a nice Disney sort of way lol) :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter