What do I even say to them?

Read through the replies and Oh, my! The amount of witchy replies! Who cares if someone else dislikes Disney? I have zero desire to vacation in Jamaica, but I don't bash my friends who think it is the best vacation in the world. Ease up folks.

My first trip with my kids was 24 years ago and I swore that I would never go again. There was just MK and Future World in Epcot at the time and while everyone had a good time I was over it and felt that once was enough. My favorite place that trip was Sea World. Every time my DD or my SIS IL went I felt the need to repeat my opinion, once was enough.

FF 18 years and one DGD and I am a believer but I do understand why some folks just are not into Disney especially if they are not prepared for the entire experience.

If I have friends who had a bad time and were complaining I would only respond if they wanted feedback. If not they are entitled to hate the place. In fairness to some of those folks who are not prepared, many go to "Disney" travel agents. Many times those folks believe they are getting good advise only to find they have been bamboozled. One gal I spoke to was advised to buy the DXDDP and also told not to worry about getting reservations. The DDP was all she needed. She went with her DD on one of the most crowded times of the year after having spent a fortune only to find out there was no place to take her little girl to eat. No character meals, nothing yet had paid for a premium plan. The travel agent led her to believe she was all set and that all she needed to do was show up. I am not saying that she should have spent all that money blindly but she trusted the company.

I agree that not everyone needs to plan but I cannot understand not even knowing whe you are going. I mean, I wouldn't drive to some city I have never been to before and then complain because it didn't have certain amenities I assumed it would.

My brother took his family a few years ago with a similar response as the OP friends. And like them, they went at the busiest time of year and knew nothing beyond they were going to Disney. He had no idea there were four parks. He expected tons of thrill rides, like Kings Island in OH. And he complained about everything being expensive, like there is even a cheap amusement park any more? I mean he complained at the cost of the ride photos, whoch he bought all of them. So it wasn't that he needed a detailed plan, although I had lent him books, wrote suggestions and offered to help them plan, it was he had no idea where he was even going. Again, it would be like driving to Hollywood, with the vaguest idea of what it would be like, and then being disappointed when it wasn't what you had imagined. If I am spending a significant amount of money, I can't imagine not taking at least an hour or so to know something about where I am headed. To each his own though

Some people are planners and researchers and some arent:confused3. I just happen to be in the first category! And not just for Disney---it doesn't matter where I'm going or what I'm doing, I'll research the subject.

I don't equate preparedness for lack of spontaneity at all, though others may prefer to let things just "happen" whereas I like having some idea of what to expect. Just different philosophies.

I'd never suggest a Disney vacation for someone who flies by the seat of their pants without warning them that they may want to do a little research. I don't think someone who hasn't experienced WDW has any idea of the scope of the World and all the possibilities contained therein.:confused3

We call Disney haters "people who aren't ahead of us in line."

Hahah :rotfl2: I love that! The truth is Disney isn't for everyone, I would never take my DFIL cause he hates crowds..... and people. So don't focus on those who didn't enjoy it and try and make it better but celebrate with those who do go and love it. I just had that experience!

I've dealt with many people who have gone to Disney and came back hating it. The things that I was called....lol...
Dumb for spending the money, crazy for dealing with crowds, nuts for going at all...whatever.
They are honestly dumbfounded as to why we love to go.

my first question was WHEN did they go....Easter break...lol.

Just a tiny bit of research would tell you HECK NO! I don't understand why someone would spend that kind of money on a trip and do absolutely NO research?? And expect things to go their way. I guess they like the element of surprise...lol.

never mind the fact that I am sitting right here, and they know I have been numerous times...they could have asked me ANYTHING!

My brother in law can't stand the research I put into a trip. He says it ruins the whole trip if it's all planned out. I am a little bit OCD with planning, but when we get home, everyone is happy! Everything goes so smoothly, they don't even realize they have been on MY schedule the whole time...lol.

To each his own....but like someone stated...I don't like Jamaica, but I don't care to sit here and rip on everyone else for going.

I really don't understand how people can spend thousands of dollars and valuable vacation time on trips (not just Disney) and do NO research. For me half the fun of a trip is the planning. But I am a born planner - some people are not. If you are not willing to do a little research then don't complain when things go wrong.

I have a friend who is going to WDW in a few weeks. It will be her first trip with husband and 6 yr old son who has food allergies. I sent her some info including this site to check out. I guess it was just too overwhelming for her and she said that she might just wing it. I have heard about other horrible trips she has taken and I am positive that if she did a little planning the disappointment would have been avoided.

I often get miffed when people have a bad time at Disney, because even on the most busy/crowded of days, it is there that I would rather be.

I also get tired of my in-laws always respond "you're going to Disney AGAIN??" they don't get it and that is fine but I don't like lying on the beach like you do but I don't down YOUR vacations...

I had planned a fall trip with my family and my brother's family: made reservations, MNSSHP plans, purchased tickets etc. then they cancelled. We are going again May 2013 and they have commented about going with us again. I'm not planning anything this time. I have given them tips & thats about all I'm gonna do. I have a feeling that they will be cancelling again. They are not Disney fans. Their kids hate anything 3D, roller coasters or characters dressed up. So I'm not sure what they are thinking of doing.... But by golly we are going and we are going to have fun. I am a planner, not to the point that I flip out if at 1:16 we are not boarding the tea cups...but I do make ADR's and arrive early with an afternoon swim. I also like to know if there are attractions closed, etc.

Some people just cant be bothered to plan for their trips, I think that they made their hotel reservations...isn't that the end of planning???

My first trip with my kids was 24 years ago and I swore that I would never go again. There was just MK and Future World in Epcot at the time and while everyone had a good time I was over it and felt that once was enough. My favorite place that trip was Sea World. Every time my DD or my SIS IL went I felt the need to repeat my opinion, once was enough.

FF 18 years and one DGD and I am a believer but I do understand why some folks just are not into Disney especially if they are not prepared for the entire experience.

I go to WDW several times every year. I have taken my eldest son's daughter a few times. His exwife has always wanted to go, but never got to so always encouraged me to take their daughter, even after her and my son divorced. My eldest son remarried about five years ago, to a young woman who is not a Disney fan. She had only been one time when she was about 6 y/o. She said she hated it. The only things she really remembered about the trip was that her mom was pregnant with her younger brother and crying most of the trip, that her parents spent the entire trip fighting, that it was hot, and she had to stand in really long lines. She grew up hating WDW and said she'd never go back. I went on a trip just before they got married and she started giving me a hard time about going back so much. I finally told her it was my money, my time, I loved it, and if we were going to get along, she'd better leave my WDW trips alone. She said fine and told me if I ever wanted to take any of their kids, I could any time I wanted, but I'd better not expect her to ever go with us, because she'd never go back. Joking around I told her I'd just take my ex D-I-L then.lol I usually just don't mention any of my WDW trips around her, but sometimes my son does and the next time she sees me, will try to start something. Either my son or I will have to tell her to back off and drop it, that the subject is off limits and that my trips are none of her business. This past Nov, I asked her about taking my 3 1/2 y/o grandson and she said fine, he'd love to go, just let her know when I wanted him. I already had a trip planned for Nov/Dec and was meeting some friends down there, so couldn't take him that trip, so we planned an early Feb trip just for him.

My husband and I took him this past Feb 4th-11th. Weather was fantastic, crowds were low, we did alot of early morning character meals, so got alot of pictures in front of the park icons with no one in them, and used the resort pool alot. He had a blast. We bought him a picture album while we were down there and filled it with pictures for him. In most of the pictures there were very few people around and he was always grinning from ear to ear. We called his parents every morning and every night so he could talk to them, but he didn't really seem to miss them that much and after excitedly telling them about his day would rush off the phone, saying he'd talk to them later. My son called to check on my mom for me while I was gone and apparently told her one night that they were about ready to get on a plane a fly down to WDW, because they missed Levi like crazy, but he didn't even seem to be missing them at all.:rotfl: The night they picked us up at the airport to come home, my GS chattered like a little magpie all the way home about what all he did and how much fun he had. My son asked if he wanted to go back and my GS immediately said he wanted to go back the next weekend.:rotfl: It apparently hurt my D-I-L's feelings and she asked him if he'd even missed them. He said yeah, but he'd seen them, so now was ready to go back.:rotfl: My D-I-L informed me that the next time I wanted to take either him or his baby brother, that her and my son was going with us. I reminded her that she hated WDW and has given me a hard time for the last 5 years about my trips.lol She said that apparently Levi had a totally different experience than she'd had. Once I gave them his photo album and she saw the low crowds and the pure joy on my GS's face in all those pictures, she said she was really sorry she hadn't given WDW a second chance and that she was sorry she hadn't been there to experience the joy of my GS's first trip.:sad1:

About three weeks after we got back I went to my other GS's first birthday party. Her mom came up to me and asked if I'd help her plan a trip for her and her youngest daughter. She said the only time she'd been was when she was pregnant with her son, when my D-I-L was 6 y/o and they had hated it, but our grandson had shown her all of his pictures and told her all about his trip, and she wanted to give it another try. There is 20 years difference between my D-I-L and her adopted little sister, so it took fourteen years for her mother to be willing to give WDW a second chance.:sad2: My GS overheard us talking and when I told her I was going back in May, he spoke up and informed me he was coming with me.:rotfl: My D-I-L was busy helping his younger brother open his birthday gifts, but my son heard him and informed him he wasn't going back without his parents. My GS reminded my son that my D-I-L didn't even like WDW, but he loved it and was going back if he had to sneak into my luggage.:rotfl: I had to remind him that I had to take his little brother before I could take him again. He didn't like that answer.:rotfl:

I have two friends who just returned from family trips to WDW. Both hated it! One only spent one day in the parks and decided not to return. Opting for other area attractions instead. :confused3 The other spent several days, but swears it was the worst experience of their life. The second is a total drama queen, though. So, it's probably more for show than anything.

I'm tempted to say something snotty, like maybe a little planning would have helped. One quick Internet search would have warned them that Easter break probably isn't the best time to arrive with 5 little ones in tow.

It's just so frustrating listening to them go on and on about what an awful place it is...

I see people like this all the time. They already have a negative attitude towards going, they don't really want to go but go "for the kids". So they will look at any little reason to "confirm" how bad WDW is. Too crowded, too hot, too expensive, lines were long, etc etc. Cannot be reasoned w/ so don't even bother. They could have even had a pretty good time but wouldn't admit it either. Oh well, can't please em all. :confused3

As much as I love WDW, I think I can understand how your friends feel, OP. We just returned from a two day whirlwind trip with a jr. high show choir and if it had been our first trip, I am not sure I would be wanting to return.

We didn't make the plan, the director did and it was all 4 parks in two days. Many of the kids with us had never been before and she wanted them to experience every park. DD's friends wanted to stay with us because we knew the parks so we toured with about 6 kids and 4 parents.

My mistake came with doing exactly what we do every trip and saying when we get to the park "what do you want to do first?", but with a plan in mind of what FP to grab and what attraction to go to. Not having our usual huge breakfasts, everyone was hungry at noon so it was hard to stop and eat and it either taking too much time or the places being too crowded. And we had 6 kids wanting to stick with the bigger attraction and parents wanting to slow down and see the smaller stuff. The kids had a ball and it was fun but it was oh, so stressful and we got back Sunday and are still trying to recuperate!

Anyone that we heard saying they really hated it, we just told them, "well, now you know how NOT to do Disney. If you ever want to try it again, let us know and we can give you a few pointers on how to have a much better trip"

Folks, you're missing the point.

Not everyone ENJOYS planning every nitty, gritty detail of a vacation months in advance. Some might even find it... annoying! There are plenty of other vacations where you can show up, wander around, and still have plenty to do and good food to eat. The amount of work required in order to be able to get on a ride at Disney is NOT the fault of the guest.

People fully expect to see a character and get on a ride when they pay thousands for a Disney vacation. Disney parks can not support the number of guests in the parks during peak times. So, many guests are left with very little magical experience. IF EVERYONE PLANNED, you would still have a big chunk of people WHO WOULD NOT have a magical experience due to the crowd levels.

HELPFUL COMMENT TO SOMEONE WHO DID NOT ENJOY DISNEY:
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you had a bad time! I wish I had known you were going. I would have been happy to give you tips on how to plan your trip. The crowds can be quite a challenge!

I've spent more time figuring out a strategy for Disney, than I have driving cross country. My husband thinks I'm crazy!

Folks, you're missing the point.

Not everyone ENJOYS planning every nitty, gritty detail of a vacation months in advance. Some might even find it... annoying! There are plenty of other vacations where you can show up, wander around, and still have plenty to do and good food to eat. The amount of work required in order to be able to get on a ride at Disney is NOT the fault of the guest.

People fully expect to see a character and get on a ride when they pay thousands for a Disney vacation. Disney parks can not support the number of guests in the parks during peak times. So, many guests are left with very little magical experience. IF EVERYONE PLANNED, you would still have a big chunk of people WHO WOULD NOT have a magical experience due to the crowd levels.

HELPFUL COMMENT TO SOMEONE WHO DID NOT ENJOY DISNEY:
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you had a bad time! I wish I had known you were going. I would have been happy to give you tips on how to plan your trip. The crowds can be quite a challenge!

I've spent more time figuring out a strategy for Disney, than I have driving cross country. My husband thinks I'm crazy!

Thank you for this very thoughtful and appropriate response.

It's also possible to have a not-so-great trip, even if you did plan everything. I think it has to do more with the personality of the people going. Some people just don't know how to be flexible and roll with the punches, and those people are the ones who are going to have a bad time.

There are also some people who just don't like the Walt Disney Company and they let that taint their trip. I know of someone who has this mindset, but he continues to plan trips for tour groups anyway. Just like how some people hate McDonald's or Nike, some people just hate Disney.

I have two friends who just returned from family trips to WDW. Both hated it! One only spent one day in the parks and decided not to return. Opting for other area attractions instead. :confused3 The other spent several days, but swears it was the worst experience of their life. The second is a total drama queen, though. So, it's probably more for show than anything.

I'm tempted to say something snotty, like maybe a little planning would have helped. One quick Internet search would have warned them that Easter break probably isn't the best time to arrive with 5 little ones in tow.

It's just so frustrating listening to them go on and on about what an awful place it is...

To each their own, not everything is for everyone.

But if you're really eager to discuss it with them. Get them to recount their story. See what they are missing...

Here's my experience, while my friend didn't *hate* Disney, he complained BITTERLY about the food. Saying "Well it was fun, but man the food sucked, we were SO sick of fast food and burgers"....

Suffice it to say, after I educated him thoroughly on the matter, he did take his family again and came back saying the food was one of the best things at Disney World :) .... He had a valid concern, but wasn't aware of his options...

People who don't like the heat, the lines, the crowds, might need to plan for certain times of year AND use Fastpass...

There are also some people who just don't like the Walt Disney Company and they let that taint their trip. I know of someone who has this mindset, but he continues to plan trips for tour groups anyway. Just like how some people hate McDonald's or Nike, some people just hate Disney.
My friend has a DD like that. Her DD has never seen a Disney movie, read a Disney book or worn a Disney costume. Ever. Her Mom was positive Disney was the root of all girl evil.

The rest of the family routinely vacations there and the DD wanted to go as well. All she and her DH did was make snide comments throughout the entire week. My friend finally told her to stop talking. Not too long after their return DD was talking about the vacation and my friend told her that was the first and last time they would ever take them. DD was appalled! They had a wonderful time! My friend told her that was not apparent by her remarks and they would still not be taking them as they managed to cast a dark cloud over the rest of the family. Some folks just cannot help themselves. :sad2:

Well the reality is the first planning most people do other than booking a room or making an adr or two is when they open their map right underneath the railroad bridge at 11am the first time they walk in. They inevitably end up in long lines, and they get tired and frustrated.

Last year, I only decided to go to WDW on a whim, I'd originally planned to just hang around the hotel. No dinner reservations, no pre-planning. Just took my son (who has autism). We had a wonderful time. And one of the days we were at the parks as Memorial day...during Star Wars Weekends....which is just a touch crowded. You don't have to be a super planner to have a great time at DisneyWorld.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter