What do I even say to them?

jensen

DIS Veteran
I have two friends who just returned from family trips to WDW. Both hated it! One only spent one day in the parks and decided not to return. Opting for other area attractions instead. :confused3 The other spent several days, but swears it was the worst experience of their life. The second is a total drama queen, though. So, it's probably more for show than anything.

I'm tempted to say something snotty, like maybe a little planning would have helped. One quick Internet search would have warned them that Easter break probably isn't the best time to arrive with 5 little ones in tow.

It's just so frustrating listening to them go on and on about what an awful place it is...

I have two friends who just returned from family trips to WDW. Both hated it! One only spent one day in the parks and decided not to return. Opting for other area attractions instead. :confused3 The other spent several days, but swears it was the worst experience of their life. The second is a total drama queen, though. So, it's probably more for show than anything.

I'm tempted to say something snotty, like maybe a little planning would have helped. One quick Internet search would have warned them that Easter break probably isn't the best time to arrive with 5 little ones in tow.

It's just so frustrating listening to them go on and on about what an awful place it is...

It's not even worth it! You won't be able to convince them otherwise. We too had friends who returned and didn't enjoy themselves that much. I just listened and said I was sorry they had that experience. It's like you said, a little more planning may have helped. :confused3

I would address their complaints...if they said it was too crowded, I would say that Easter is not the best time to go.

FPs were gone or long lines...I would ask if they got there early.

No place to eat...did they make ADRs

It may not matter but at least you could explain where they went wrong, but then I agree with the above poster and just say I am sorry you feel that way!

It's not even worth it! You won't be able to convince them otherwise. We too had friends who returned and didn't enjoy themselves that much. I just listened and said I was sorry they had that experience. It's like you said, a little more planning may have helped. :confused3

totally agree. I'm sure it's a bummer to hear something you love disparaged but to each their own. Think of it this -- a few fewer people ahead of you in the Soarin' line next time!

We call Disney haters "people who aren't ahead of us in line."

:rotfl:

Edited to add: LeonaFishback beat me to it!

Look at it this way---fewer people in the crowds for the rest of us!!

Seriously though, I know what you mean. We have friends just like yours, they refuse to go and swear it's the devil's work, LOL! I've tried to tell them that a vacation of that magnitude deserves some research; a little planning. It fell on deaf ears. That's fine, I figured oh well---- just a few less people in the crowds!!!

It is a bummer when people just can't get on board with something you consider to be fantastic, however WDW just isn't for everybody, and frankly the fewer miserable people there the better! I think we're a rare breed here on the DIS, and that's a good thing!

I don't think it's worth saying anything to them. People like that often want to be unhappy and focus on the negative because they simply like to complain, it will likely only frustrate you to try and change their outlook.

One less person to fight for an ADR :rolleyes1

As PPs have said, no matter what you say, it probably won't make a difference anyway. My brother is going in June - hasn't made a single ADR, hasn't looked into EMH's, or even bothered to check park hours. I have a strange feeling I'm going to be hearing many of the same comments about what a horrible trip he and his family had. :scared:

We call Disney haters "people who aren't ahead of us in line."

:rotfl:

:thumbsup2

My response is always I'm sorry you had a bad time our trips are never like that, all that planning and research I do really pays off. and then change the subject.

Well the reality is the first planning most people do other than booking a room or making an adr or two is when they open their map right underneath the railroad bridge at 11am the first time they walk in. They inevitably end up in long lines, and they get tired and frustrated. Often, they don't want to go back and will think anyone that likes long and frustrating lines with gobs of people crazy. It just isn't in their input vector that these long lines can be avoided. And contrary to the ads, characters just don't walk up to the kids and give em hugs. There's a line for that too. And it's sometimes longer than for the rides. As far as the other area attractions, the good ones are going to have lines too. The memories of Elvis waxwork, uh not so much.

No matter how much planning is done, or what time of year you go, or how early you get up, if you've got 5 little ones in tow, you're in trouble at Disney. Taking grandparants to help would be the only way.

It is a bummer when people just can't get on board with something you consider to be fantastic, however WDW just isn't for everybody, and frankly the fewer miserable people there the better! I think we're a rare breed here on the DIS, and that's a good thing!

I don't think it's worth saying anything to them. People like that often want to be unhappy and focus on the negative because they simply like to complain, it will likely only frustrate you to try and change their outlook.
I think we all know people like that and I really feel sorry for them that they think this way, especially about WDW. I just cannot fathom thinking like that though :confused3

Be sure to share some photos from an empty Main Street if you do an early breakfast on your own trip!

:thumbsup2

My response is always I'm sorry you had a bad time our trips are never like that, all that planning and research I do really pays off. and then change the subject.

THIS!!!! I'm going to use this!!!

Thank you! :cool1:

If this is someone you care about or have to live or work with, I wouldn't include the bolded part. I think its just kind of rubbing it in.

Now they continue let'm have it. ;)

I'm a little different I guess. Depending on how much hating they are doing is how I respond. If it's some know-it-all who didn't take any time to be ready then I'll drill them down on everything they think was horrible and then I'll be happy to tell them where they made their mistakes:)

Really, the only reason I would do this is if there are other people around who may have never experienced WDW. It really bugs me when a hater goes off without any preparation and scares off an unsuspecting family or friend.

Now if they just disliked it because it was too crowded or didn't quite turn out the way they thought it would and are nice about it then I'll just let that go.

Say nothing. We had a similar experience with people we know that went in Feb. worst vacation ever yadda yadda... 9 year old too OLD for Disney yadda yadda, not enough food, not enough this too long of lines. They did not plan anything, threw money down the drain and will never go back.. I say AWESOME>. 3 less people in line in front of me!

I always tell people that a trip to WDW is like an Everest expidition. It requires planning, money, and stamina. Usually substamtial amounts of all 3. It's not a "vacation" it's an adventure.

Do you know how bad it would be at Disney if everyone planned. There would be no best parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter