What am I missing about Aulani?

GaryDis

DIS Veteran
We’re just looking at planning a trip to Hawaii in April. Naturally I started looking at Aulani. I was really surprised at the prices. I compared to what appears to be the most expensive Hilton at Waikiki, and Aulani was a couple hundred dollars more.

I can certainly understand the difference at WDW, and we don’t mind spending a premium (or points rental) at the top WDW resorts. But what are you getting at Aulani to justify it?

It‘s would just be the two of us, seniors, so no kids. We almost never care about views, and while we enjoy the Disney decor at WDW, I don’t think that would have much value for us in HI. We do like Disney’s service, but it’s not like other hotels can‘t provide that. I wasn’t able to find standard view rooms at Aulani, which could be a factor. Is there more to Aulani than the atmosphere? Or is the Hilton the wrong comparison?

We are adult only travelers and enjoy staying at Aulani. We are DVC members, so we don’t really feel the high cost. It’s in a resort area with great walking paths where I feel very safe waking around day or night. Restaurants right across the street. It has a lazy river and multiple pools. I’m not a fan of Waikiki because it’s way too crowded , lots of traffic and has very urban feel. The down side of Aulani is that it does have A LOT OF KIDS runnning around.

Check out Turtle Bay on North Shore. They just renovated the entire resort and it looks beautiful. We usually do a slit stay between Aulani and Turtle Bay.

I understand why you'd ask that, Gary. In Aulani's first several years of existence, my answer to you would have been that Aulani truly is a "better" resort than anything on Waikiki--better hard product (furnishings, lobby atmosphere, restaurant setup, pools and lazy river, etc.) and FAR better soft product (customer service, amenities, complimentary offerings, etc.). The spa was world-class, the excursions you could book were great, the food and service in the restaurants was truly incredible...

I haven't been back post-COVID, but reports have been less positive. Amenities are not available, upkeep hasn't been to previous standards, and (most notably) customer service is no longer world-class. You need to decide, given all that, whether Aulani is still worth the multi-hundred dollar per night premium. I'm not trying to steer you either way, because it still could be (particularly if you're looking for a more relaxing chill-out type vacation over a big-city-on-the-ocean vibe in Waikiki).

Have you looked at other islands besides Oahu?

We’re just looking at planning a trip to Hawaii in April. Naturally I started looking at Aulani. I was really surprised at the prices. I compared to what appears to be the most expensive Hilton at Waikiki, and Aulani was a couple hundred dollars more.

I can certainly understand the difference at WDW, and we don’t mind spending a premium (or points rental) at the top WDW resorts. But what are you getting at Aulani to justify it?

It‘s would just be the two of us, seniors, so no kids. We almost never care about views, and while we enjoy the Disney decor at WDW, I don’t think that would have much value for us in HI. We do like Disney’s service, but it’s not like other hotels can‘t provide that. I wasn’t able to find standard view rooms at Aulani, which could be a factor. Is there more to Aulani than the atmosphere? Or is the Hilton the wrong comparison?

For pros and cons, see this thread where folks are getting pretty passionate:

Crazy Question... Anyone else think Aulani is overrated? | The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

I own DVC at Aulani, so to me, an Aulani stay is cheap. But I would never pay cash prices at Aulani, just not worth it with so many
other options of places to stay in Oahu. I also own HGVC and stay at Hilton Lagoon HGVC often. As far as area, I like Ko Olina where Aulani is located much better. More peaceful and relaxing. But I love the food options out near Waikiki and the convenience factor.

Only you know yourself better, and from your questions, I think you will be very happy skipping out on Aulani, which while nice, is not enough to me to justify the cost/value differences.

Great3

Have you looked at other islands besides Oahu?
Probably, but I’m still trying to get a handle on which ones, what it takes to travel between islands, and how long to stay for each island. We mostly want to do tourist stuff for seniors (so easy hiking, no snorkeling, museums, etc,).

I would seek out more deals if I were you try to rent out peoples DVC points instead of paying rack rate for a room.

We are huge a huge Disney family in this house we love the mouse and everything that entails with it from world class service to five star entertainment offerings. Simply put Aulanis definitely not Walt Disney World it is a more slow relaxing vacation at a five-star resort with a touch of Disney.

I tried to put into words in my other thread that I reviewed it may not have come out as articulate as I have wanted it to …however to me Aulani is paradise.

When I was a kid and I used to watch the family sitcoms that went to Hawaii are used to dream about going there are used to dream about beautiful skies mai tai drinks and luaus! We stayed at Waikiki a night before and I was severely disappointed in Hawaii. Simply put Disney’s Alani is the ideal version of Hawaii its surroundings and what you think a Hawaiian vacation should be!

The time effort and cultural sensitivity that was placed into this resort really shines through. If you want an ideal version of Hawaii what you dreamed it meant to live in paradise I would choose AULANI…it’s honestly a once in a lifetime trip.

If I was offered an all expense paid free vacation on Waikiki, I wouldn't go. It's Miami, but with way more homelessness and property crime.

That said for two seniors, I wouldn't go to Aulani, either. I would go to Turtle Bay on the North Shore or skip Oahu entirely and go to another island instead.

The Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club is another option in the Aulani area.
We have stayed at both resorts multiple times and each has it's own pros and cons.
I just love the lazy river at Aulani but if the pools are not your first priority then the Marriott might be the way to go. It also has amazing pools, just no lazy river. It is also a little more spread out so it feels less crowded to me.

I think if you love everything Disney that you can’t really think of staying anywhere else, it might feel like it worth the cost. But if you’re even asking this, for two seniors, I’m going to say it’s probably not your best choice. There are a lot of “lower impact” kinds of things to see and do on Oahu. I’d recommend staying somewhere else (other than Waikiki, personally) and maybe do your last night or two at Aulani, just to see the resort and enjoy the lazy river!

My second choice for two seniors would be the Big Island, as long as you don’t mind a bit of driving. Also lots of beautiful things to see and lots of tours you could do—coffee farms, etc. Plus you know, there’s actual LAVA to see!! Some really cool opportunities to see it by boat or air, too. Lots of folks on here with some good recommendations of where to stay. But you won’t go WRONG with any island, for sure.

That said for two seniors, I wouldn't go to Aulani, either. I would go to Turtle Bay on the North Shore or skip Oahu entirely and go to another island instead.
I think Pearl Harbor (AZ memorial) and the Bishop Museum and/or Polynesian Cultural Center are must do items, so we won’t skip Oahu. But because being on the beach is not a priority, we’re certainly open to other hotels around Honolulu that have good service while still being close to these items. I’m not sure that Turtle Bay is that close.

Are there direct flights from the west coast to any of the other islands?

I think Pearl Harbor (AZ memorial) and the Bishop Museum and/or Polynesian Cultural Center are must do items, so we won’t skip Oahu. But because being on the beach is not a priority, we’re certainly open to other hotels around Honolulu that have good service while still being close to these items. I’m not sure that Turtle Bay is that close.

Almost certainly to Maui, and for sure to Kona (Big Island).

Have you explored the gohawaii.com website? There is a wealth of information about planning a first trip to Hawaii including details about each island. Have you thought about enlisting a travel agent to help you plan? Many of our local agents closed shop over the past 2 years, but they may still be around in virtual space?

Personally, if I were in your situation I would look at other hotels and resorts on Oahu. Good luck 🌺

Can't answer your direct question, but can offer that the level of service in many resorts/hotels on Oahu is excellent.

We love every island, including Oahu. Waikiki has its own charm--we love the busyness of it and the food options are awesome.

A note on the kids at Aulani. Our daughter is older now, but we think it’s hilarious watching little kids at the pools, and their parents. It’s like free entertainment.

Lihue in Kauai has flights from Phoenix, LA, SF, Seattle and so on. No problem.

Lihue Airport | Flights (hawaii.gov)

My flight in 2019 went through Phoenix. I have been to both Oahu and Kauai and was much more blown away by Kauai.

View attachment 647200
View attachment 647201
View attachment 647202
I loved Kauai too, but to me it seems like a more “active” trip. Although obviously (as your pics show) there are some amazing opportunities to do some sightseeing by air or boat.

OP, I also feel like I should at least mention the NCL Pride of America cruise. You can see 4 islands and you can find plenty of less active excursion options. We found it easy to rent our own Jeep on each island but you can do excursions for 2 a lot cheaper than for 4 (for half, actually! LOL)

Turtle Bay, the Kahala Hotel, Halekulani, and the Four Seasons are all competitive hotels price wise. It really depends on what experience you’re looking for, but a big part of the Aulani premium is the Disney experience. If Aulani wasn’t a Disney property, I would guess it would have a much more difficult time competing.

The Halekulani and the Kahala have a location advantage (if you want to be in the middle of things). The Four Seasons and Turtle Bay are true resorts, but further away from things. All four have higher end dining options than Aulani.

If family amenities and the Disney Magic factor into your wants/needs, then Aulani is definitely worth considering. But if not, I personally would look at those other options.

I loved Kauai too, but to me it seems like a more “active” trip. Although obviously (as your pics show) there are some amazing opportunities to do some sightseeing by air or boat.

Yeah, there are great opportunities for hiking or snorkeling there.

But those pictures are from a boat tour and a driving tour around the Waimea Canyon - no long hikes required to see a lot. And it's one of the few places where a helicopter tour is definitely worth it.

But yeah, it depends on what you are looking for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter