What age did your kids stop using a stroller

judypriv

Mouseketeer
So, we go to WDW about twice a year. My kids will be just 3 and almost four when we go in a few days. I plan on using the strollers this trip and next but was thinking about next September. The current kids will be 4 and about 5 and it looks like I am pregnant so we'll most likely have a 5 month old as well. I was thinking three strollers is going to be a lot and the then 5 year old boy could be big enough to forgo the stroller but hubby says no, he'll get to tired and there's a lot of walking etc. My dad will probably go with us so we will have three pushers but he had a triple by pass this year and I don't want to over do him. I guess it's a year away so we could play it by ear but i just wondering what age you stopped using strollers with your kids?
Thanks!:cool2:

Mine walked from 4 on. Even at 3 they were out of it more than in. Disney is a lot of walking but it isn't a marathon. It is walk some stand some, sit or ride, walk a bit more stand again, sit again and repeat all day. Er do the parks all day till very late and don't go back for a break. If they are tired I probably am to so we sit down and get a snack or ride the monorail etc.
Kids have more energy anyday than adults. Do they get tired of course but guess what so do I!

And no they were never carried I'm small and have a bad back and my DH has very bad knees. And we don't tolerate whining.

I would never take 3 strollers, ever.

I would suggest that once your baby is born you and your kids start taking walks around your neighborhood. That will give you a few months of practice. We are leaving in a few weeks and have been actively walking to get in shape since April. Walk around your block as many times as you can. Your kids endurance will build and you'll be close enough that you can go home when you need to.

We took our grandson for his first trip a few weeks shy of his 4th B day..and NO stroller. We decided that he if got too tired to walk..it was time to go back to the room. We did get a stroller 1 day that we were going to be at epcot late..MISTAKE..by the time we got back he was still full of energy and we were exhasted. I say NO...he would take little catnaps on the monorail or train and would be good as new. We are taking our 4 yr old granddaughter in Oct..and again NO stroller..She is big enough to walk on her own.

Yeah It depends on the kid, however i still think 5 is too young to not get a stroller...I have an 8 year old DD that still likes to sit in the back of a "sit & stand" when we are in the world. Instead of 3 stroller, maybe a "Sit & Stand and a single is the way to go for you. Enjoy your trips...

My DD stopped using a stroller regularly at around age 5, but used one for nights and Epcot for at least another year after that.

I wore a pedometer on my last trip and averaged 5-6 miles per day with two 10 mile days (Epcot and AK). I don't think many small kids who can do that and I know that I would be unwilling to cut my day short because my kid got tired. A stroller helps you extend the energy of the kids and your day as a parent. I can't tell you how many times I pushed a stroller around with a sleeping child in it. If I didn't have the stroller I would have had to go back to the room.

Each of our kids were 4 on their first trips and we NEVER used a stroller. I really think it depends on the child. We didn't sprint through the parks but we also didn't take big breaks. My kids are on the go type kids and did just fine.

I would wait and see. Good luck.

Both my kids were 4 when they stopped using a stroller.

We tour from open to close and our usual time to visit is September, so they are usually in the parks for 10-11 hours in 90 degree heat.

No complaints from them. We take a couple hours a day for meals, so they get some down time then.

If there is any whining, we'll just stop and get a Mickey ice cream bar or something. Both my kids completely dislike strollers and would have been appalled if I tried to ride them around in one, so not using one wasn't even a fight for me.

We've got three kids and for us a Sit N Stand has been the way to go. :thumbsup2

Ours is by Joovy, it folds easy and isn't heavy.

That way the back seat can be used by which ever of the older kids is feeling tired and the front seat by the little one.

Definitely depends on the child. My kiddos never, ever sat in the stroller -- as soon as they could motor under their own power, they wouldn't think of doing otherwise. I say play it by ear -- long walks around the neighborhood should give you a good indication of their tolerance, although there's so much to see at Disney, they could go even longer without getting tired.

Have fun!

This year we brought one just because we commando sometimes and I knew my 5 year old would get tired. Or just slow us down. So into the stroller he went.

We never used one at Disney.We first took her at age 4 and she walked the whole time.It was Sept and 90 degrees plus 100% humidity almost the whole time...not a single peep of a complaint from her.Disney has a lot of walking, but there is also alot of sitting on rides and shows etc.

It depends on your child and you. My son is 5 and we just bought a new stroller for him for Disney. He can walk but by the end of a long day he is tired and too big to carry. He needs a safe secure place in crowds. I do not think we will take the stroller everywhere. We may leave it behind in the mornings and then bring it out for evenings. We will just play it by ear. Plus DH wants his drink holder :rotfl:

In general, around age 4. However, I have used it for my DS's when they were 6 and 4 due to being very tired, the park being crowded, and my youngest having a bad cough. We just rented one that day. The other days we all walked and stopped and rested as needed.

I would say around 4, but all of my kids were different.

First son wanted the stroller even at age 5, but I think this had more to do with being upset that younger brother got to ride when he didn't.

Middle son didn't use the stroller much by around 4, late 3.

Youngest son didn't want anything to do with the stroller once he turned 3, but again, I think this had more to do with wanting to be like big brothers than anything.

Dawn

My yougest has is not mobile so we will bring a stroller in place of her wheelchair. My oldest however is almost 8 the last time I had a stroller for her she didnt use it except for a couple of nights when we were there past midnight. She was 6 the last time she used it for a good bit while in the parks and like Robinb said it wasn't even in all of the parks we actually used it more in Epcot but also MK. Have you considered a double stroller that way you have the seat for the baby and extra seat for carrying things and if someone else needs a seat, and if all three need a seat you could rent one for the day that you need it.

My 6 year old would still be in the stroller if he were allowed to. However, my almost 5 year old hasn't really used it since he was around 3 1/2 (probably because his older brother was in it so often!:rotfl2:). We are headed back to DW next month and are hoping the 6 year old will be walking. I think it really depends on the kid - but I'd say 4 or 5 seems to be when the stroller becomes less comfortable for most kids.

Last year my son was 3 1/2, and while he never used a stroller anymore at home, we took it and used it the whole time we were at Disney. We'll be doing the same thing again this year and he'll be 3 months shy of his 5th birthday. I just think it's too much walking for him, and I like to be able to pick up the pace some and just let him rest and ride! :)

So, we go to WDW about twice a year. My kids will be just 3 and almost four when we go in a few days. I plan on using the strollers this trip and next but was thinking about next September. The current kids will be 4 and about 5 and it looks like I am pregnant so we'll most likely have a 5 month old as well. I was thinking three strollers is going to be a lot and the then 5 year old boy could be big enough to forgo the stroller but hubby says no, he'll get to tired and there's a lot of walking etc. My dad will probably go with us so we will have three pushers but he had a triple by pass this year and I don't want to over do him. I guess it's a year away so we could play it by ear but i just wondering what age you stopped using strollers with your kids?
Thanks!:cool2:

Mine are 13, 8 and 6. I still bring the stroller for my 6 year old. If he doesn't use it, it is fine, it carries our stuff. If he does, great. There are times that my 8 year old will also sit in it to rest. I imagine the 13 year old would if he could still fit!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter