Weekly Money Saving Accomplishments

Dropped off clothes at the consignment shop, went to early show at the movie theater, and stopped at Kohls to order sandals on clearance for my DS and get free shipping to my house. The sandals are Nikes 12.99 marked down from 25. Ate lunch at home after the movies instead of out.

I'm not going too crazy with them. She is my first and I heard that some brands work and others don't, so I have been pretty much buying one pack of each brand/type in size nb and size 1. I figure it's worth the trial and error to get them on a discounted price. I spoke with a manager at Walmart and they said as long as the packs are unopened, you can return them for an exchange of size or brand at any time. So if one doesn't work, I can return the others!
Also, unless you have a pretty small baby, chances are you won't need too many newborn diapers. My boys were 7-5 and 8-5 and we used one pack before moving on to size 1. And I forgot to say congrats before, when are you due?

This week I did really good saving money. I brought my breakfast and lunch to work everyday. This is a huge money saver. I am going to try to only eat out 2 times a month for lunch. Garden is doing really well so we ended up using the last of the lettuce until the fall harvest and have 8 more cucumbers to use up. Tomatoes and bell peppers should be ready in the next week or 2 and have 4 watermelon that are growing nicely. This helps with the grocery budget. I also used up the last of the cherries from our cherry tree to make cherry crisp last night for desert. Kids start school in a month so I am going to start to picking up things that they need when I see them on sale.

This week I did really good saving money. I brought my breakfast and lunch to work everyday. This is a huge money saver. I am going to try to only eat out 2 times a month for lunch. Garden is doing really well so we ended up using the last of the lettuce until the fall harvest and have 8 more cucumbers to use up. Tomatoes and bell peppers should be ready in the next week or 2 and have 4 watermelon that are growing nicely. This helps with the grocery budget. I also used up the last of the cherries from our cherry tree to make cherry crisp last night for desert. Kids start school in a month so I am going to start to picking up things that they need when I see them on sale.

I wish our garden was doing as well this year. We had an amazing garden last year but I think we got so much rain this year that it just killed everything. The only thing I'm still getting right now is okra. :guilty:

Mine for the week is saving on DS's soccer stuff. He decided he wanted to play rec. soccer which I secretly wasn't thrilled about but I signed him up because he really wants to try soccer again. He needed cleats (he's 10 and in a men's 8.5), shin guards, and a ball. And it all needed to be Nike. Ugh. So he picked out cleats (on sale), a soccer ball, and shin guards from Dick's and yesterday they had 20% off online. Then I bought a $50 gift card from Cardpool for $35. So everything ended up costing me $42 vs. $72 if it hadn't been on sale and I hadn't purchased a discounted gift card.

Also, unless you have a pretty small baby, chances are you won't need too many newborn diapers. My boys were 7-5 and 8-5 and we used one pack before moving on to size 1. And I forgot to say congrats before, when are you due?

I'm due November 19th! Luckily, my Walmart will exchange all unopened packages of diapers for different sizes. So if I end up with too many nb size, I'll be able to exchange them for size 1 with no issues!

As for my weekly savings, I've packed my work lunch (which is actually dinner) every day for a week now and we have eaten lunch or dinner at home all but two days since Thursday! That's a big improvement from before.

We also put baby's crib, stroller/car seat combo and play pen on layaway at babies r us. All three were actually on sale, plus I was able to score 15% off the total by applying (and getting declined ) for their credit card. Still, it saved us over $190 total between discounts.
I also nabbed a bunch of clothes for her for $2 on sale at various stores at the mall!

Mine for the week is saving on DS's soccer stuff. He decided he wanted to play rec. soccer which I secretly wasn't thrilled about but I signed him up because he really wants to try soccer again. He needed cleats (he's 10 and in a men's 8.5), shin guards, and a ball. And it all needed to be Nike. Ugh. So he picked out cleats (on sale), a soccer ball, and shin guards from ****'s and yesterday they had 20% off online. Then I bought a $50 gift card from Cardpool for $35. So everything ended up costing me $42 vs. $72 if it hadn't been on sale and I hadn't purchased a discounted gift card.

I feel your pain. I have 2 boys that play soccer and one is a goalie. They had try-outs this week for their High School team and our freshman made JV and our sophomore made Varsity. We are very proud of them but that means I have to pay 2 soccer high school fees, money for socks and warm up gear, and new goalie gloves. Our freshman also plays on a travel team in the spring so I still owe $500 for his fees. I am glad my boys like sports but it sure gets expensive. My grocery bill is horrible because they eat like 5 meals a day. My money saving accomplishment this week is we went to our local Irish festival on Sunday and if you donate a canned good you got in free. So we cleaned out a few cans of things no one wanted to eat like tomato soup to donate. I also packed water bottles and snacks so we wouldn't buy anything. I got a discounted Old Navy gift card to help with back to school shopping. Our state is having tax free weekend for the first time this weekend so I hope to get most of school shopping done but I have a feeling the stores are going to be a mad house.

I learned two new skills that will save me money.

I borrowed a friend's dehydrator and experimented with two red peppers. The little chips are now in a jar. If they really do stay fresh for the next month, I plan to load up when they are cheap and dehydrate pepper for use in chili and casseroles over the winter.

I've been adding the last few strawberries nobody is eating to a container in the freezer. Combining these with a soon-to-be-mush banana I made by first home-made smoothie in a garage sale purchased machine.

We did fairly well this week on being thrifty, but did get Chinese take out for dinner Friday night. We were out until 2:30 in the morning for a family emergency Thursday night though, and when you have to get up for work at 5:45 AM for work the next day, the last thing you really want to do is cook dinner.

I went shopping yesterday and saved a lot though. I went by Target where they were having a deal on my shampoo- $4.99 for the large bottles and when you bought three you got a $5 Target gift card. Plus, I had a $3 off 3 coupon! I then used my RedCard for another 5% off. So I spent $12.13 on three bottles of shampoo. I then got a tub of Tide Pods for $14.99 and used a $3 off 1 coupon. For that size, they had a free Bounce dryer sheets pack to go with it, so that was $2.19 I got for free. I used my RedCard again, plus the $5 coupon from the first transaction and paid $7.42 total. So under $20 at Target for 3 bottles of shampoo, 50 loads of laundry detergent, and 20 loads worth of dryer sheets!

I then went to Kroger and managed to do very well with coupons and sales. My total before coupons and my Kroger card was $160.10. After coupons and card, it was $98.95! This included a family size pack of porkchops, produce, breakfast sausage, and lunch meat. I was pretty happy with this total, which was a 38% savings. I brought home 6 bags full of groceries!

Taking lunch to work today -
Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli leftovers form Sunday Dinner -

Saved about $10 over eating lunch out!

Purchased a 12pk of canned soda for $3.00 - saved $3.00 over purhcasing a can from the vending machine!

I earned $8 back on Checkout 51 this past week, all on things I would have purchased anyway (and all of the items were on sale at Walmart to boot). I will have enough cash back from Checkout 51 to pay for both nights of parking at our two MNSSHPs this October :).

H and I paid off my car today! YAY! We have 2 paid off cars. I am so happy. We paid it off early too. Just throwing money at it to be done. Thinking about all the money freed up now!:yay::yay::yay::yay:

Awesome! So jealous! We have two and a half years left on DH's car. I wish we could just pay it down a lot more, but with us about to (hopefully) take on a mortgage, I don't see it happening soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter