• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. - Corey Click Here

"We seem to be made to suffer. It’s our lot in life" - Feb/April 2017 - 5/9 Half/Grand Floridian Ca

I love that you are always smiling in to race pics despite the pain you are experiencing at the time!

Ooh there's that burnt end hash again! I could go for that right now!!!

How nice of the Grand to celebrate their runners. I haven't heard of any other resorts doing that. What a nice touch!

Ouch on the ankle/leg situation! Glad you were still able to complete your race AND manage to get some yummy snacks and drinks at F&G! :thumbsup2

Also, that is really nice about them bringing around a treat for the runners. Gotta love Disney :)

Ugh! I'm feeling the pain of your ankle! I give you big props for running :bounce: And then to have the boot chop up your leg :faint: I hope it's completely healed up now!

(I wasn’t going to be fooled by the Foodle again!)
this made me lol :rotfl2:

I got myself two of the Onion Tarts and I devoured them both! My husband thought I was strange because I love those so much. He got the macaron.
Mmm, I cannot wait to visit this booth again in a couple weeks, my favorite!!!
Love the little gift you got from GF management for running the race. Like you said it wasn't anything big but still a nice touch.

Beef Brisket Burnt Ends Hash w/ White Cheddar Fondue & Pickled Jalapenos...Oh, that looks so yummy! Enjoying your reviews...hope the leg is better!

It is really yummy! When the burnt ends aren't overly burnt, its wonderful. Pepperandchips got one that was like charcoal!

The leg is getting healed from the boot slow. It will take a while I'm sure!

I love that you are always smiling in to race pics despite the pain you are experiencing at the time!

Fake it until you make it! 10 more days until its permanently fixed! (Hopefully - I have Wine & Dine 10K and St. Jude's Half Marathon to worry about this fall!)

Ooh there's that burnt end hash again! I could go for that right now!!!
Me too!

How nice of the Grand to celebrate their runners. I haven't heard of any other resorts doing that. What a nice touch!
I haven't heard of it either. The Grand didn't do that last year during Dark Side either so maybe its a new thing and they are seeing how much positive feedback they get?

Ouch on the ankle/leg situation! Glad you were still able to complete your race AND manage to get some yummy snacks and drinks at F&G! :thumbsup2

Also, that is really nice about them bringing around a treat for the runners. Gotta love Disney :)

I'm happy I completed the race. It was 100% a personal worst but I didn't get swept!

I do love the little things sometimes as its what keeps me going back again and again!

Ugh! I'm feeling the pain of your ankle! I give you big props for running :bounce: And then to have the boot chop up your leg :faint: I hope it's completely healed up now!

My ankle is not gong to be healed. Not going into too many details as this is a dining report and not my Wish Journal where I was super somber, but essentially, I'm getting surgery on May 12th. Here's to hoping the surgery will fix my ankle issues for once and for all! The leg marks from that boot are healing. I'm hoping it doesn't scar as that isn't pretty!
this made me lol :rotfl2:
I can laugh about it now. A month ago, it wasn't as funny ;)

Mmm, I cannot wait to visit this booth again in a couple weeks, my favorite!!!
Love the little gift you got from GF management for running the race. Like you said it wasn't anything big but still a nice touch.

Hope it is as wonderful for you as it was for me on my repeat visit!

I'm sad we won't be able to stay at GF next year for Dark Side (we have no 2018 points left) but maybe the other deluxe villas will be doing it too? A girl can hope!

Looks like a great meal at Boathouse. I was laughing at how your hubby ordering fried fish was odd and the one time mine ordered vegetarian at Jiko was odd to me :-)

Good for your finishing the race despite the injury. I know that had to be hard. Jason did a local half here last weekend and did it with a messed up shin and regretted it He's trying to get a faster time so he can join your hubby in corral A but no luck thus far :-) Hope the ankle is feeling better.

I can't believe you had it in you to walk around F&G given the bum ankle and 10K that morning. You're a real trooper. Glad the food didn't disappoint this time

I don't know how you do it. That's too bad about falling and injuring your ankle. That's dedication to finish even if you walked it all.

The kiosk offerings look quite tasty. I would have liked to try the spicy lettuce wrap if I had more time.

Sorry to hear about your fall before the race, good for you to walk it and not give up on it! The food looks really good from the Flower and Garden. This was a first year in several where we missed Flower and Garden. May the 4th be with you today, Happy Star Wars Day!

Looks like a great meal at Boathouse. I was laughing at how your hubby ordering fried fish was odd and the one time mine ordered vegetarian at Jiko was odd to me :-)

Good for your finishing the race despite the injury. I know that had to be hard. Jason did a local half here last weekend and did it with a messed up shin and regretted it He's trying to get a faster time so he can join your hubby in corral A but no luck thus far :-) Hope the ankle is feeling better.

I can't believe you had it in you to walk around F&G given the bum ankle and 10K that morning. You're a real trooper. Glad the food didn't disappoint this time

The Boathouse is totally one of my favorites! I used to say it was my favorite new restaurant but I guess its like 2 years old now and that isn't new anymore! Tiffins has that titled now!

Our husbands like to keep us on our toes sometimes, don't they? Usually I can tell you what he's going to order off of any menu!

I was ok doing the race with the injury as I knew I had my ankle surgery already scheduled (8 more days!) I mean, there wasn't much more damage I could do it! Surgery will fix the issue. I actually signed up for St. Jude's Half Marathon in December as my first half post surgery so that I can raise money for a good cause. Its around the anniversary of my step-father's death so my mother really is supportive of it because of the cancer research (I actually just realized it's the actual anniversary as I'm trying this - I have a feeling she's going to end up joining me in Memphis as she won't want to be alone).

My husband actually doesn't want to be in Corral A for the half - he likes Corral B or C. He feels A makes him start off too fast and thus burn out quicker. He's started going back in Corral A in the 10Ks to avoid the super fast people in that corral. Maybe they'll be in B or C together for Wine & dine!

We only lasted about 2.5 hours at EPCOT. It was such a park empty trip! At least November will have more park time!

I don't know how you do it. That's too bad about falling and injuring your ankle. That's dedication to finish even if you walked it all.

The kiosk offerings look quite tasty. I would have liked to try the spicy lettuce wrap if I had more time.

I don't know how I do it either. It wasn't the smartest choice I've ever made. My stubbornness got me though!

I missed a few other options I wanted to try as I didn't have the stomach room left! At least there is next year!

Sorry to hear about your fall before the race, good for you to walk it and not give up on it! The food looks really good from the Flower and Garden. This was a first year in several where we missed Flower and Garden. May the 4th be with you today, Happy Star Wars Day!

I'm glad I finished it. A Dead Last Finish is better than a Do Not Start!

Hopefully you won't miss Flower & Garden next year! I felt like that the year we missed Food & Wine!

May the 4th Be With You! I celebrated with a $330 purchase of Star Wars Legos!

California Grill

After relaxation and probably a nap, we woke up and headed towards California Grill around 4:40PM since you never know how the monorail is going to behave. We arrived quickly and checked in before opening at 5PM. We were happy to see the ‘welcome back’ on our table. I’m happy that the restaurants are recognizing repeat visitors!

09wWBhp.jpg
oyp6yJT.jpg

Welcome Back!

As were reviewed the menus, we each ordered a cocktail and a liter of sparkling water. I went with one of my favorites - a traditional old-fashioned. This one didn’t disappoint!

hd5Uwg6.jpg

Old-Fashioned

My husband had a strawberry lime cider. He stated this was the best cider he ever had. He didn’t like that I reminded him that he said the exact same thing at Brown Derby last fall. He forgot he had it before!

MoZW5Yb.jpg

Strawberry Lime Cider

We went for different appetizers. I was originally planning on getting my favorite salad in the world (no, not a Caesar) but the Wasabi Rock Shrimp Salad. Well, it had been recently removed from the menu. This made me decide on something different and luckily there were many other options that would work! In the end, I went with the California Combination Roll. I would say that was a bad description for it as it was actually two different rolls on one plate. One being the traditional california roll but with real lump crab and a second roll of shrimp tempura. I liked both of these and they were quickly gone!

AzpBvY4.jpg

California Combination Roll - Jumbo Lump Crab, Avocado, Cucumber, Shrimp Tempura

Not gone as quickly as my husband’s dish! Last year, when he was vegetarian, he actually had this dish as his entree (it came with two raviolis then) and he remembered how much he loved goat cheese. He had no problem finishing off one!

bSMKzcc.jpg

Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli - Tomato-Fennel Broth, Crispy Mushrooms, Tiny Basil, Benziger Estate Olive Oil

For entrees, I wanted meat! I decided on the filet more so because of the side dish rather than the protein. At this time, it was being paired with a truffle risotto with NO MUSHROOMs to ruin it! That was an easy sell for me! My steak was cooked to a perfect medium-rare but the truffle risotto was really the star. Everything but the asparagus was gone off my plate!

bBtlyEk.jpg

Filet of Beef, Truffle Risotto, Asparagus

My husband went for the chicken. He didn’t say much about it so I’m guessing it was alright, nothing amazing.

xUYfKCA.jpg

Chicken

As we waited for our bill (because my husband was anti-dessert for some reason), I noticed one of my Mickey’s was off sized. I’m sure I’m one of a few people that would even notice it though!

NMsCByE.jpg

Bad Quality Control

I still wanted dessert and said we were going to Contempo Cafe for something sweet. I picked up a chocolate chip cookie sandwich! It was nice and soft! I still would have rather had dessert from California Grill though...

aX9a5OH.jpg

Chocolate Chip Cookie From Contempo

We were back to the room by 6:30PM and laid out our wares for the half marathon the next day. I’m pretty sure we were asleep by 8PM.

Hz3cOQm.jpg

Dis_Yoda for Half Marathon

Hope the ankle surgery goes well.

Thanks for the race low down. I'll be sure to tell Jason he doesn't want to be in corral one anyway :-) But his time is nowhere close. His one two weeks ago was 2.10 which was his best thus far. He'll likely do 2 more before Wine and Dine rolls around. Side note, Casey ran her first 5K today. Jason said she ran about 90% of the time so we're super proud. I'm still waiting on them them to the .5K before I join in :P

Looks like another great CG meal. For us its always consistently one of our favorites. And thrilled to hear there are NO MUSHROOMS in the risotto :-) Us mushroom haters have got to stick together.

Our one trip to CG I had the filet with the risotto and while the filet was delicious the risotto was my favorite part! I've heard good things about the desserts at Contempo Cafe but I've never been in there, we aren't at the Contemporary too often but I'd like to get there someday.

Loving your shirt for the half marathon!

I'm all caught up. Super jealous that you live so close that you could make frequent visit to the happy place. Love reading about your meals at Boathouse as well as Sanaa and Cali Grill. Those are all the restaurants we love. As much as we've been to Disney, we haven't yet to visit 1900 Park Fare. One reason is it's buffet and the other is character meal. We don't do much of those two. I just feel that Disney buffet is over priced plus now that DS is a teen, he's grown out of characters. But I have to give you two thumbs for going there by yourself.

Looks fabulous! I hope to get back there for my birthday marathon weekend! I'm in the the NO mushroom club too!

Both your appetizers looked great! That would have been perfect for me as my meal, along with a dessert from CG!

Your husband cracks me up!

Hope the ankle surgery goes well.

Thanks for the race low down. I'll be sure to tell Jason he doesn't want to be in corral one anyway :-) But his time is nowhere close. His one two weeks ago was 2.10 which was his best thus far. He'll likely do 2 more before Wine and Dine rolls around. Side note, Casey ran her first 5K today. Jason said she ran about 90% of the time so we're super proud. I'm still waiting on them them to the .5K before I join in :P

Looks like another great CG meal. For us its always consistently one of our favorites. And thrilled to hear there are NO MUSHROOMS in the risotto :-) Us mushroom haters have got to stick together.

2.10 is a really good half marathon time! That should so get him into C or D. Shaun's 10K time states he should be at like a 1:55 half marathon but he has yet to actually run that time. One day he'll get sub-2!

Yay on Casey getting her first 5k! The .5K is the Kid's Dash ;) I think you outgrown that one though!

Truffle risottos so often have mushrooms! You can understand my thrill of them not being in there!

Our one trip to CG I had the filet with the risotto and while the filet was delicious the risotto was my favorite part! I've heard good things about the desserts at Contempo Cafe but I've never been in there, we aren't at the Contemporary too often but I'd like to get there someday.

Loving your shirt for the half marathon!

That risotto was amazing! Perfect amount of truffle flavor! You are right that the risotto was the star versus the filet.

The foolish mortal shirt is my perfect half marathon shirt when I know I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing!

I'm all caught up. Super jealous that you live so close that you could make frequent visit to the happy place. Love reading about your meals at Boathouse as well as Sanaa and Cali Grill. Those are all the restaurants we love. As much as we've been to Disney, we haven't yet to visit 1900 Park Fare. One reason is it's buffet and the other is character meal. We don't do much of those two. I just feel that Disney buffet is over priced plus now that DS is a teen, he's grown out of characters. But I have to give you two thumbs for going there by yourself.

I'm glad I live so close too! Boathouse has consistently been awesome for us and we've loved Sanaa for a while as well. California Grill we enjoy but it isn't our favorite signature - we love Flying Fish and Yachtsman so much more!

1900 Park Fare is a place I've skipped a lot - we don't do buffets often or character meals much either. I do find it funny how we feel Disney buffets are overpriced but have zero problem spending $150+ on a meal for two at a signature. Quality > Quantity! I would probably not go again anytime soon. Since we wouldn't be leaving the hotel until after 11AM - I just felt I had to do something Disney!

Looks fabulous! I hope to get back there for my birthday marathon weekend! I'm in the the NO mushroom club too!

What else are you going to plan for your birthday marathon weekend?

I haven't figured that one out yet - its going to be interesting as my mother is joining us so balancing her + race weekend stuff!

Both your appetizers looked great! That would have been perfect for me as my meal, along with a dessert from CG!

Your husband cracks me up!

My husband cracks me up too - although sometimes its a little ridiculous. I was actually kinda happy that Contempo Café was slow for check out as it would have ended up being quicker to just have dessert at California Grill.

Grand Floridian Café

We woke up at 2:45AM for the Half and got ready. We left the room a little after 3:00AM and headed to the buses. We had a goal to get a photo with Jabba the Hut this morning before the corrals opened! The line was still really reasonable so it didn’t take too long to get through.

B7y4yUJ.jpg

We headed to towards the corrals where we waited for them to open. The seemed to be late on the opening of the corrals this morning in comparison to the 10K which ended up being rough on both of us. When it did open, we said our goodbyes and I went to go sit on the ground for the next hour until corral F would be moving. My husband was in Corral B. I was going into this race knowing I wouldn’t be able to finish with as slow as I was going to be but I wanted to at least get through Animal Kingdom. I got myself as close to the front of F as possible and towards the right. It was super packed in the area. It got even more packed about 30 minutes before the race when one of the pace groups pushed their way into the crowded area at the very front of the corral. I found this to be really rude as they didn’t say a thing and just pushed their way in with about 30 or so individuals. I’m shocked no one got stepped on!

HNY3aed.jpg

Rude Pace Leader

Eventually Corrals A, B and C were off and we were starting to move to the front. Thanks to the massive size that was Corral F and the curves involved in moving ot the start line - I ended up losing my right hand start and was planted firmly in the middle to middle left of the start. That was no good as I knew I was not going to be running!

Hd4ZAOX.jpg

Start Line

My corral was off a little before 6:00AM and I tried to slowly jog myself to the right side as safely as possible. Let me just say, my ankle was NOT happy at that!

One of the things I thought was awesome was as we started during Bear Island Road, they had set up the Ewok Battle of Endor! There were lights and sounds coming from everywhere! It was good way of providing on course entertainment that wasn’t just a character stop or a movie screen!

BiLn6HO.jpg

Mile 2

kr4GvP2.jpg

Mile 3

I received my 5K Update and man, I was slow! I crossed the 5K at a 20:10 pace! Definitely worst 5K time ever, but I knew I was walking slower than normal. I was shocked to find some other people walking slower than me even but they had their own issues going on too with broken body parts so we all commented on our pain. Some people tried to encourage the ‘brokens’ but well, it is what it is.

PXCd46g.jpg

Mile 4

After Mile 4, we entered Animal Kingdom which is a great park to run through!

p98msTi.jpg

Everest

25DOCYa.jpg

Mile 5

As we left Animal Kingdom, the 501st was set up outside.

xfY6zbl.jpg

Power of the Dark Side

7WGcate.jpg

Yq9rzK1.jpg

h4jEbYm.jpg

After that 501st visit, I was done. Mentally and physically. My ankle was yelling at me to say you’re dumb. Luckily, the medical tent was right there after the 501st so that timing couldn’t be better. I asked the nurse if she could pop my ankle (it felt it was way out of alignment) but she said she isn’t allowed to do that but she did give wrap my ankle for me with ice and gave me water and I headed to the ‘parade’ bus to wait. I would have to pop my own ankle later on. Apparently there was going to be a sweep point coming up in about 15 minutes. At least my slow walking was helpful that I didn’t have to wait too long!

Uo5tJPf.jpg

All Iced Up!

The drive back to EPCOT was slow because of the route the Half Marathon took but I wasn’t too worried. We went through the sweeper tent and were given our half marathon medals, Dr Cool, Powerades and Food box. I got yelled at that I didn’t take water but I honestly didn’t feel like I needed it. Powerade was good enough for me, especially as I had water at every water stop! (Also, being a Floridian, I know how to survive heat/humidity)

Back at the room, I took a bath and we packed up all our stuff. We still had some time before we had to be out of the room at 11AM so we just relaxed until we had to leave. That 30 minute nap was so worth it! We took the luggage to the car and then headed over to Grand Floridian Cafe for lunch! We were about 30 minutes early for our ADR and they were busy! In the end, we had to wait around 15 minutes to be seated.

Our server was also ridiculously slow. Apparently he spilt my drink getting it from the service bar and proceeded to tell me that the bartender had to remake so many drinks because of it. Honestly, I know I’m going to sound mean here, but I don’t care about other people’s drinks. He kept dwelling on it and mentioned it at like 4 times over the course of the meal. Enough! I’m perfectly ok with waiting for my drink but the other stuff doesn’t affect me. I could tell they were busy as well it was the day of a half marathon and lots of people want to eat real food at that point! When I did finally get my drink, it was very refreshing.

p9weBAM.jpg

Grand Colada - A tropical blend of Myer’s Original Dark Rum, Coconut, Pineapple topped with Blue Curacao

I got us a Caesar to split. It was basic but I’m glad I ordered us the salad as it took a while for our mains to arrive. We were hungry!

B6rIcf8.jpg

Caesar Salad

My husband went with a burger. He was really happy with this as it was cooked exactly as he wanted (medium) and the patty was moist and the bread was the right amount of soft.

eEybKev.jpg

Kobe Burger - 7 oz Kobe Beef Burger, Swiss Cheese on a Brioche Bun w/ Seasoned Fried

I went with what I know I loved and I ordered it correctly this time sans ham as why ruin the sandwich with ham? I know I’ve posted this earlier in the thread but really - you can’t go wrong with turkey, focaccia bread, bacon, cheese sauce and fried onion straws. It is the perfect indulgent balance. I had zero problems cleaning my plate!

MmehgvR.jpg

The Grand Cafe Sandwich - Open-faced Hot Sandwich w/ Roasted Turkey Breast, Bacon, Boursin Cheese Sauce and Fried Onion Straws

Getting our check took some time. It allowed us to people watch and realize that we were sat by a lot of unhappy couples this trip. At California Grill, the couple seated next to us were fighting to the point that the husband just pulled his phone out to watch Hockey as they weren’t going to discuss things anymore. When we sat down initially at Grand Floridian Cafe, the couple that was leaving were being really ugly to each other and the couple that sat at the table after them were also in the midst of a fight. It makes me feel better that at least when my husband and I aren’t happy with one another, we go about it the silent treatment way so that others can’t judge it! We can hold back the fight until we are in a more private setting!

So while the service was slow and excuse filled (he had trouble getting me water timely or even refilling my husband’s soda and kept blaming it on something unrelated to his job), our food was tasty and that really is what matters for this type of establishment. It’s a 1 TS lunch spot for us so I know we have different tolerances dependant on the restaurant. The service won’t keep me from going back! (Service like that at like Flying Fish, California Grill, etc would not tolerated by me)

We hobbled back to our vehicle, stopped by the gas station where I picked up an awesome snack for myself! My husband drove home and I took a 90 minute nap! That nap was amazing! Upon waking up, I had some of my snack mix and was really happy with it. I need to find it and buy myself some more!

bN32xGv.jpg

S’mores Snack Mix

Thus ends our Spring trips! I won’t be back to Disney until Labor Day Weekend. Hopefully then I’ll won’t be broken anymore!​

What else are you going to plan for your birthday marathon weekend?
Not sure? We check in Friday (my birthday!) BFF is flying in from Toronto. Likely dinner and drinks as Saturday will be our chill day. Maybe a DISmeet? I'd like to fly in Thursday night possibly and meet up with you on the boardwalk Friday to pass out beer at the 10K! Trying to decide what our celebratory dinner Sunday night should be!

Not sure? We check in Friday (my birthday!) BFF is flying in from Toronto. Likely dinner and drinks as Saturday will be our chill day. Maybe a DISmeet? I'd like to fly in Thursday night possibly and meet up with you on the boardwalk Friday to pass out beer at the 10K! Trying to decide what our celebratory dinner Sunday night should be!

You should totally fly in Thursday Night! I think the 10K Beer Handout would be such a great DisMeet :) I need to start work on a sign design!

Our Sunday Dinner will be something at home! I know we'll eat lunch post marathon either at Beaches & Cream, Chefs de France, or ESPN Zone as there is no way we'll be able to drive home without food in my husband's stomach.

I do find it funny how we feel Disney buffets are overpriced but have zero problem spending $150+ on a meal for two at a signature. Quality > Quantity! I would probably not go again anytime soon. Since we wouldn't be leaving the hotel until after 11AM - I just felt I had to do something Disney!

Yes we don't have problem spending $$$$ at signatures but we don't like buffet. We feel like we get mediocre food for what we pay and with that we could get better food else where.

Hopefully your ankle is healing at this point? You are a trooper for getting that much done! Not much of a runner other than I do put in at least 3~5 miles every other day on tread mills. I've never ran that much outside though. Now that I've read some of the details about those runs at Disney, I wonder if I could run that much outside.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter