• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"We seem to be made to suffer. It’s our lot in life" - Feb/April 2017 - 5/9 Half/Grand Floridian Ca

Dis_Yoda

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Table of Contents

Trip #1 - Mother & Daughter Trip

February 16th, 2017
Homecomin'
Hole In The Wall Bar

February 17th, 2017
Sunshine Tree Terrace
Tony's
Thirsty River Bar
Tiffins

February 18th, 2017
Artist's Palette
Festival of the Arts Booths
Boathouse

Trip #1.5 - Last Minute Trip

March 31st, 2017
Planet Hollywood Observatory
Goofy's Candy Company

April 1st, 2017
Flower & Garden Festival Booths - Part 1
Flower & Garden Festival Booths - Part 2
Trader Sam's Grog Grotto Outside Patio
Mizner's Lounge

April 2nd, 2017
Grand Floridian Cafe

Trip #2 - Husband & Wife Trip - Star Wars Dark Side Challenge

April 20th, 2017
Sanaa

April 21st, 2017
1900 Park Fare
The Polite Pig
Splitsville/AMC
Boathouse

April 22nd, 2017
Star Wars 10K/Flower & Garden Festival Booths
California Grill

April 23rd, 2017
Grand Floridian Cafe

Last edited:
Homecomin’

The trip with my mother evolved over the two months we were planning it. It originally was supposed to be at the Ritz and she was going to spread some of her husband’s ashes at their golf course. It then changed to us staying at Saratoga Springs and we would head to the Ritz for dinner. Then it changed again and my mother did it on her own that Wednesday before I would arrive on Thursday. I went into the February Trip with an open mind knowing that plans would probably end up changing more even in the midst of the trip because of my mother’s current state. She has not taken her husband's death well and it really showed over the course of this weekend. That was ok as I knew I would be back in a couple months.

On Thursday, I had hoped to leave work a little bit early but I wasn’t able to as the day was crazy. I ended up hitting horrible traffic between Sarasota and Tampa! I didn’t end up arriving at Disney until almost 8:00PM despite having planned on arriving before 7PM. Luckily, she had texted me the room number and building so I was able to head right to the room and get settled some. My mother was happy to see me but when I told her I needed food, she didn’t like that I wanted real food and not fast court food. After discussion of this fact, she said she was tired and was going to bed. I headed to Disney Springs on my own and lucked out with the bus that was just now leaving!

My original plan at Disney Springs was to head to Blaze Pizza and enjoy my new fast food favorite but when I got there the line went all the way to Homecomin', so Homecomin' sounded good to me! I actually was able to get a seat at the bar with no wait and have my dinner there as the wait for a table was over 90 minutes!

As Disney would be driving me around, I had no problem going for some shots of Moonshine to enjoy with my meal. The watermelon moonshine was the best of the three followed by the strawberry! The lemon was too acidic but I think that was more so because of the medication I was on for my sinus infection so it messed with some flavors!

yH9Mgsz.jpg

Moonshine Flight - Lemon Moonshine, Watermelon Moonshine, Strawberry

I went with my standby Art Smith favorite! Art Smith has a restaurant in Naples and I always order the fried chicken there and I always love it. After the crappy drive and knowing what I would be dealing with, I wanted something that would make me happy and this did that. The fried chicken is so flavorful and tender and crispy in the right places. The cheddar biscuit is also moist and perfectly crumbly! I wish there were more of them! I’m sure the mashed potatoes were tasty but I skipped those to eat more meat!

5VxjhPX.jpg

Art’s Fabulous Fried Chicken

Homecomin’ was a home run for me! Not sure I’ll waste a normal Disney meal though to eat there since 1500 South is so close to me and it is one of our regular places we go to. This was a perfect meal though for this situation where I had no reservations and could walk right in!​

Wouldn't miss a Dis_Yoda dining report! Nothing like fried chicken and moonshine for comfort! I'm glad it was just the right fuel for a rough day! I'm sorry to hear your mom is struggling. Next month will be four years since my father passed and my mom still struggles. Your mom is lucky to have you!

I'm in! Sounds like a bit of a rough start, but understandably so. Sorry your mom is struggling. Good for you, though, for going off on your own and finding some comforting and enjoyable grub! Is there anything that fried food can't fix?! ;)

Looking forward to the rest!

The trip with my mother evolved over the two months we were planning it. It originally was supposed to be at the Ritz and she was going to spread some of her husband’s ashes at their golf course. It then changed to us staying at Saratoga Springs and we would head to the Ritz for dinner. Then it changed again and my mother did it on her own that Wednesday before I would arrive on Thursday. I went into the February Trip with an open mind knowing that plans would probably end up changing more even in the midst of the trip because of my mother’s current state. She has not taken her husband's death well and it really showed over the course of this weekend. That was ok as I knew I would be back in a couple months.

So sorry to hear that your mom's husband passed. I remember you saying he was not doing well. I hope you two enjoyed your trip and that it could brighten both of your spirits! I was wondering if you'd be doing Princess half but it looks like you were there the week before. :)

Ugh, swoon. I am dying to eat here, this trip, hopefully. All of that sounds amazing. I love being so close to DS at SSR. We're staying at BLT in a few weeks and I'm almost wishing it was SSR again so I can walk to Disney Springs. Looks like a delicious meal, and I'm sure the moonshine didn't hurt after a crazy day.

Joining in! Very sorry to hear about your mom and the difficulties she's having.

My original plan at Disney Springs was to head to Blaze Pizza and enjoy my new fast food favorite but when I got there the line went all the way to Homecomin', so Homecomin' sounded good to me!
Wow I can't believe the line was that long :scared1: But sounds like you made out good in that situation. I can't wait to try Homecomin' and I like the looks of the Moonshine Flight!

I really enjoyed the Fried Chicken when I was there last Fall. They subbed their mac & cheese for the potatoes and that stuff was heavenly! :thumbsup2 Looking forward to your reviews.

So sorry to hear about your mom and her husband. I can't imagine how difficult that must be.

I'm glad to hear you had a nice meal at Homecoming. I enjoy eating at the bar there too. Fried chicken and a moonshine flight sounds awesome! I love Blaze, but that's better than pizza anytime. :thumbsup2

I'm excited to follow along. I'm sorry there were some hard parts, but glad you were able to spend time there with your mom!

Wouldn't miss a Dis_Yoda dining report! Nothing like fried chicken and moonshine for comfort! I'm glad it was just the right fuel for a rough day! I'm sorry to hear your mom is struggling. Next month will be four years since my father passed and my mom still struggles. Your mom is lucky to have you!

Yay! You're first! Fried Chicken and Moonshine totally made the day better!

I think part of the struggles is that she's never not had someone at home. I was there until college - then she had the cat and then she had Steve. Hopefully she'll get a pet soon enough so she has something to exert energy towards. A cat would do her some good!

Following. Sorry to hear it was such a difficult trip :grouphug:

My report title probably makes the trip sound more difficult than it was. I figured it was the right Star Wars quote (I am Dis_Yoda after all) for this plus the Dark Side Challenge where I'm going into that trip undertrained with major ankle problems that are getting surgery 3 weeks post run - that suffering is totally my fault!

I'm in! Sounds like a bit of a rough start, but understandably so. Sorry your mom is struggling. Good for you, though, for going off on your own and finding some comforting and enjoyable grub! Is there anything that fried food can't fix?! ;)

Looking forward to the rest!

Fried Food does make most things better as does Moonshine. I am a Whiskey girl so Moonshine isn't too far off! Driving after a bad day of work just makes the drive seem worse!

Following...I have reservations at Homecomin' in June, and I cannot wait to try it!!!

I hope you have a great meal there! Good southern food is amazing and that is something Art Smith is known well for! I'm just sad I found about a wine dinner 1500 South is having on Thursday - thus I didn't budget for it and can't go!

So sorry to hear that your mom's husband passed. I remember you saying he was not doing well. I hope you two enjoyed your trip and that it could brighten both of your spirits! I was wondering if you'd be doing Princess half but it looks like you were there the week before. :)

Ugh, swoon. I am dying to eat here, this trip, hopefully. All of that sounds amazing. I love being so close to DS at SSR. We're staying at BLT in a few weeks and I'm almost wishing it was SSR again so I can walk to Disney Springs. Looks like a delicious meal, and I'm sure the moonshine didn't hurt after a crazy day.

Thank you :). He passed away at the very beginning of December while my husband and I were in the process of driving up there for the end. BLT is amazing though and so easy to go to Trader Sam's so that makes it worth it for me! Walking to Disney Springs does make SSR awesome! We don't understand the un-love it gets as we've never had a bad stay there! (Although my mother did make a comment to me about how it wasn't the Ritz, I mean really?)

We're doing the Princess races next year! Are you planning on returning for more Disney races after your Princess 10K? You know you want to do the challenge next year ;).

Joining in! Very sorry to hear about your mom and the difficulties she's having.

Wow I can't believe the line was that long :scared1: But sounds like you made out good in that situation. I can't wait to try Homecomin' and I like the looks of the Moonshine Flight!

Thank you!

I could not believe that line! I mean, I love pizza but I'm not waiting over 30 minutes for fast casual pizza. Homecomin' was such a treat! I love how the Moonshine Flight came with spiced pecans. It just felt southern! There was also pickle juice but um, I'm not a pickle fan, unless its the marinade for my chick-fil-a chicken!

I really enjoyed the Fried Chicken when I was there last Fall. They subbed their mac & cheese for the potatoes and that stuff was heavenly! :thumbsup2 Looking forward to your reviews.

Oh, good to know! I totally forgot about asking about subbing out the sides as my brain just wasn't working anymore! I need to remember that for next time! The lady next to me ordered it and it looked awesome!

So sorry to hear about your mom and her husband. I can't imagine how difficult that must be.

I'm glad to hear you had a nice meal at Homecoming. I enjoy eating at the bar there too. Fried chicken and a moonshine flight sounds awesome! I love Blaze, but that's better than pizza anytime. :thumbsup2

Well - I think most people end up going through something similar at some point. Hopefully for you its much later! I'm glad my husband was a good sounding board through everything!

Moonshine is better than pizza anytime.

I'm excited to follow along. I'm sorry there were some hard parts, but glad you were able to spend time there with your mom!

Thank you for joining in! I'm glad to spend some fun time together since the last few visits together haven't been in good circumstances!

Hole In The Wall Bar

I walked around some of Disney Springs and decided I wanted more alcohol and something sweet. I combined those two desires into one tasty beverage!

rV2wHov.jpg

Bailey’s Iced Shake

It was yummy although it wasn’t really strong as it was pre-blended so those tend to be light on the booze! I headed back to the hotel by bus and was back in the room by 10pm! My mother was shocked and said she probably would have come if she knew we would be back by then but she was ok with her cheetos for dinner. (Hey, I offered!) I took a shower and headed to bed!​

SO sorry for the circumstances but how great of you to take your Mom away for a few days. Sounds like she was in need of it.

How lucky are u to have an art smith restaurant near by your house. Like you we fell in love with homecoming and I can't wait to go back. And now I know we will be having a moonshine tasting, because that looks awesome!!!!

Love u kept the drinking party going with hole in the walll. After your travels up there sounds like you needed it

Thank you :). He passed away at the very beginning of December while my husband and I were in the process of driving up there for the end. BLT is amazing though and so easy to go to Trader Sam's so that makes it worth it for me! Walking to Disney Springs does make SSR awesome! We don't understand the un-love it gets as we've never had a bad stay there! (Although my mother did make a comment to me about how it wasn't the Ritz, I mean really?)

We're doing the Princess races next year! Are you planning on returning for more Disney races after your Princess 10K? You know you want to do the challenge next year ;).

Hahaha, not the Ritz! It just feels so laid back and relaxed to me. And once I walked over to DS I was hooked. I loved being so close.

I really, really want to do more runDisney races now. I was sad when I realized that Marathon weekend is already booked for next year. I would love to do the challenge! My friends and I discussed it. Although my husband turns 30 right afterwards and wants to go somewhere else around his birthday, so I don't know if I'll be able to. I may try for the WDW Half in January since it's still open, but I'm not sure yet!

So sorry about your mom's husband's passing. I hope her weekend with you was able to alleviate some of her pain. That being said, oh my goodness, that Bailey's Iced Shake looks amazing!

Following! So sorry that your mom is going through such a hard time.

Everything looks amazing so far and you're only a couple hours into your trip!

SO sorry for the circumstances but how great of you to take your Mom away for a few days. Sounds like she was in need of it.

How lucky are u to have an art smith restaurant near by your house. Like you we fell in love with homecoming and I can't wait to go back. And now I know we will be having a moonshine tasting, because that looks awesome!!!!

Love u kept the drinking party going with hole in the walll. After your travels up there sounds like you needed it

She did! I'm not sure if we'll do something in the fall or if she's just going to join us in January. This trip was actually more of her taking me away for the weekend since she paid for the hotel and the majority of the meals when we were together (She did get my TiW discount) It was nice being kept for once!

Yay! I'm glad to have taught you about moonshine flights! He doesn't have that at the one in Naples so its unique to Disney Springs! I love my alcohol! Sweet alcohol totally hit the dessert spot well!

Hahaha, not the Ritz! It just feels so laid back and relaxed to me. And once I walked over to DS I was hooked. I loved being so close.

I really, really want to do more runDisney races now. I was sad when I realized that Marathon weekend is already booked for next year. I would love to do the challenge! My friends and I discussed it. Although my husband turns 30 right afterwards and wants to go somewhere else around his birthday, so I don't know if I'll be able to. I may try for the WDW Half in January since it's still open, but I'm not sure yet!

My mother loves the Ritz - its where she usually stays in her various travels. In fact when she visits me in Naples, she doesn't stay with me and instead stays at one the two we have in town. She's also ok with the Grand Floridian but that was a little overpriced and my DVC points for VGF are all used up! We love being close to Disney Springs so my husband and I have no problems with SSR! Its also great you can usually get it last minute for DVC.

Some things at Marathon Weekend are still open. Glad you caught the RunDisney bug finally! Where does your husband want to go for his 30th? You already did Hawaii so you can't steal my 30th birthday trip ;) I guess we could probably count Italy as our 10th anniversary splurge although it is like 4 months before our 10th anniversary so I guess I should save the actual celebration for either Disneyland for Star Wars 2018 or WDW for Princess 2018.

Welcome!

So sorry about your mom's husband's passing. I hope her weekend with you was able to alleviate some of her pain. That being said, oh my goodness, that Bailey's Iced Shake looks amazing!

I think I help some as I was able to get her to snap out of spirals quickly by being well me. I'm such an engineer that I don't deal with emotions well.

That Bailey's was great. Frozen drinks are just needed sometimes!

Following! So sorry that your mom is going through such a hard time.

Everything looks amazing so far and you're only a couple hours into your trip!

It was a good night at Disney Springs! I ate so much this weekend!

Sunshine Tree Terrace

I woke up naturally around 6:30AM. My mother was already up and moving at that time and getting ready. She takes much longer to get ready than me as she has to have her face on! I ran to the food court and got myself a croissant and a Monster in order to take my pills since I had to take one of them with food. No photos but it was a boring breakfast.

We were out of the room by 7:20am to get on the bus to Magic Kingdom. We enjoyed various Fantasyland and Tomorrowland attractions until it was time to head over to Adventureland as my mother really wanted to do Tiki Room.

Xe89vpR.jpg

Kicking Butt at Buzz Lightyear

I wanted something to eat as we headed that way. We both got a Citrus Swirl. My mother apparently had issues with hers as she didn’t eat it right and it started melting on her. I had to laugh! I was able to eat my citrus swirl without an issue! I love the Citrus Swirl more than the Dole Whip! Orange is so much better than Pineapple, especially as a native Floridian.

qyWMkrI.jpg

Citrus Swirl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter