We had a Disney December, Bahamian Xmas, NYC NYE and then some!! COMPLETED!

We got ourselves ready to take our first walk around Washington DC, but first we stopped in to the reception to sort out the bed arrangements. I spoke to the same gentleman who checked us in. I had mentioned that I had been communicating with the Reservations manager, Mr Williams, and had arranged for 2 queen beds. He checked a couple of things on his systems and asked me to wait a moment and he left. In a minute or so another gentleman came over to see us, it was Mr Williams who I had been communicating with when I was arranging the booking back in September. He explained to us that our booking was for a Jr Suite and we were set to be moved into the larger Executive suite with 2 queen beds, when expectantly the guest who was occupying the Executive suite we were going to have extended their stay. This meant that we were then “bumped up” the upgrade list a couple of levels and given the Abraham Lincoln Suite that we had settled in. He knew that DS12 was traveling with us, so he arranged for an adjoining room to be added to our booking at no extra cost. This was the two rooms that I had seen on the IHG app reservation and also why I was asked upon check in that we had booked two rooms. I wasn’t sure how DS would go with and adjoining room and I looked at him and asked him if he was ok with that, to which he was nodding vigorously and smiling like a Cheshire cat. What a start to DC and we hadn’t left the hotel yet! We all thanked the reservations manager very much and he was most gracious and offered his personal assistance for anything we needed during our stay. We got some additional keys for the adjoining room and a bellman came back up with us to unlock the door which separated the rooms.

The second room was a regular, but very nice, hotel room, but served as a second bedroom to our already palatial suite. Here are some photos of this “second bedroom”

DSC_2437_zpstwhdqzdw.jpg

DSC_2434_zpsaxghmyaw.jpg

DSC_2436_zpslhppsvsd.jpg

DSC_2435_zpsgxjk01r6.jpg

A nice view out DS window

DSC_2438_zpsihtj2kdx.jpg

We were all pinching ourselves a little. I was a little dumbstruck at our luck and very appreciative of what we had been given. While I knew we would still be out an about a lot, it was a luxurious setting to come back to and relax.

Here is the actual floor plan of the Abraham Lincoln suite that I found on the net.

lincoln_suite_zps4m37ez33.gif

Also here are two short video walk throughs of the suite. The first is before we knew about the adjoining room, the second after we had been down to reception and then back to have the adjoining rooms connected to the main suite.

So to say I was thanking my lucky stars that I moved us from the Hilton to here would be a massive understatement! Anyway after all that it was now time to tick a big item off my travel bucket list..seeing the White House for real!

Thanks for all the info and your thoughts and contributions from the fam - I am sure info on the Edge will be useful as you don't often get an update from a peer's point of view. I thought your thoughts on castaway cay interesting as it seems to be similar to but more crowded than eg a Qld island holiday or Fiji or similar. My most special moments of a tropical holiday is a trip to Lindeman Island before it changed hands (probably now multiple times) way back in 1988. Brilliant food (buffet or a la carte adults only restaurant), sailing, paddle skiing, exploring the little island offshore - we had plans to build a house like Robinson Crusoe there, lazing in the sun. Still you have gone half way to persuading me a short Disney cruise might not be out of the question! I love the look of the Aquaduck and would love to try out the Detective Game - I'm just a big kid! Glad you all really enjoyed your first cruise. Now back to catch up on the rest of your story.

Thanks for all the info and your thoughts and contributions from the fam - I am sure info on the Edge will be useful as you don't often get an update from a peer's point of view. I thought your thoughts on castaway cay interesting as it seems to be similar to but more crowded than eg a Qld island holiday or Fiji or similar. My most special moments of a tropical holiday is a trip to Lindeman Island before it changed hands (probably now multiple times) way back in 1988. Brilliant food (buffet or a la carte adults only restaurant), sailing, paddle skiing, exploring the little island offshore - we had plans to build a house like Robinson Crusoe there, lazing in the sun. Still you have gone half way to persuading me a short Disney cruise might not be out of the question! I love the look of the Aquaduck and would love to try out the Detective Game - I'm just a big kid! Glad you all really enjoyed your first cruise. Now back to catch up on the rest of your story.

We have said we would like to go to one of the QLD islands, and we are not that far away from them , we have just not got ourselves organised enough to do so.

thanks for the comments on DS review of Edge. he will like that.

One thing I forgot to mention was the quality and variety of the food on the cruise. I was really impressed with it all. The quality of the food and the service was really top notch. I was kind of expecting a pretty average buffets, but Cabanas had such great variety and always great tasting food. The sit down table service dinners were also top quality.

We certainly did enjoy our first cruise, I don't know when we would go again, but I suspect it will happen!

Wow! That's the most amazing upgrade. Good for you!:thumbsup2 I hope you had a wonderful time visiting D.C. I went there once but my visit was way too short. I'd love to go again. I'm absolutely loving your trip report.

Thanks so much for your posts! I really enjoy how detailed and descriptive they are, and you are certainly helping to build my excitement for our upcoming December trip and January Disney cruise.

I am so glad you are enjoying it. It's really hard for me to stop planning our next trip when I am reliving all the wonderful memories that we experienced. When I am recounting experiences there are often gaps in my recollection so I talk to DW & DS about them and it normally spins a really good reminiscing conversation about the experiences which is just wonderful.

You must be getting very excited for your trip. it will be here before you know it! Do you have a Pre-trip, planing thread, I'd love to have read of it?

Last edited:
Wow! That's the most amazing upgrade. Good for you!:thumbsup2 I hope you had a wonderful time visiting D.C. I went there once but my visit was way too short. I'd love to go again. I'm absolutely loving your trip report.

Thanks @Grumpy's Wife I am so pleased you are enjoying the report. The upgrade was truly amazing, we certainly got spoilt!

We, especially me, enjoyed DC so much. I won't give to much away before I get into the report itself, other than saying we will definitely be going back. There was so much we did not see. We had three days there and I could personally easily spend a week there, especially If we got that suite again lol ! I've been going through our DC photos and there are ALOT of them! so trying to choose the best ones to share.

Last edited:
First look at Washington DC

After all that, it was now time to make our way out into DC and start seeing some of the sights. To explain the excitement that I was feeling, If you can imagine your anticipation of reading all about WDW, reading other people’s trip reports, seeing the photos they have shared before you had experienced it yourself. And when that time came for you to walk into WDW and down Main Street for the first time, this is how I was feeling upon being some close to seeing these DC monuments for the first time ever.

This map will give you some perspective of where the hotel (where the “red X” is mid right on map) was compared to the White House and the National Christmas Tree, which was actually our first stop.

102e56c8-b7ec-4c3b-8b21-4860bc16c6ea_zpsg6dahbgr.png

It was actually a very overcast day, by now it was about 3:15pm. Orlando & Washington DC were on the same time zones. As I had mentioned when we came out it was really quite cold around 5 degrees C.

It was a Saturday and also Boxing Day, so the streets seemed to not be overly crowded with cars or pople. We made our way towards the White House.

DSC_2440_zpsncconmk6.jpg

First sight of the Washington Monument, which according the President Josiah Bartlett from the West Wing ( US TV Show) you can lay down flat in the National Cathedral. I’m not sure if that’s actually true, but seemed like a good anecdote to tell as I loved the West Wing and still do!

DSC_2442_zpsvf7z6hah.jpg

Our first stop was actually at the General William Tecumseh Sherman Monument. General Sherman was was an American soldier, businessman, educator and author who served as a General in the Union Army during the American Civil War.

DSC_2444_zps1qs45kko.jpg

DSC_2445_zpstgzshqss.jpg

When was started to approach the next area, which was the National Christmas Tree, there was an obvious increase in both people and security.

DSC_2446_zpsdhpjtoxm.jpg

I was a little surpised with how low and how close the planes were flying to be honest.

DSC_2449_zpsuuzyc2mv.jpg

Approaching the National Christmas Tree. Thank goodness it’s not called the National “Happy Holidays” Tree.

DSC_2450_zpsmwvaoobb.jpg

“A Brief Story of the National Christmas Tree”

DSC_2448_zpsi25o24bd.jpg

There were smaller trees around the outside representing each of the States. We would be in this state in a few days from now.

DSC_2451_zpswz4dufbr.jpg

A short video of around the Tree.

Another view of the Washington Monument

DSC_2458_zpszqcxb92u.jpg

DSC_2462_zpsybthzef5.jpg

DSC_2460_zpstbsoxbwr.jpg

DS is becoming quite the photographer
DSC_2465_zpseqjjlycf.jpg

And then the White House.

DSC_2453_zps2sqtf14o.jpg

My first thoughts of it were, you can't get anywhere near close to it! Streets are blocked, areas fenced off and people everywhere!

DSC_2457_zpsznqncsfk.jpg

DSC_2455_zpsm5w9c8cj.jpg

DSC_2470_zps6ktydyus.jpg

DSC_2476_zps4wfeezny.jpg

Snipers on watch
DSC_2480_zpsbm4op7pq.jpg

DSC_2481_zpsnlzx60fu.jpg

DSC_2473_zps8vdkna91.jpg

DSC_2484_zpsv1q8vepj.jpg

DSC_2487_zpsq8uf7bsa.jpg

DSC_2494_zps2w5cn4ny.jpg

DSC_2493_zpsu4emzppb.jpg

View of the White house from outside the South Lawn

Last edited:
First look Washington DC cont..

We then made our way around the very big block. On the way we stopped to buy a hot dog from a street vendor. He had a photo of himself serving President Barack Obama a hot dog! He said he serves him quite regularly. I must say it was a pretty good hot dog!

DSC_2497_zpshpltbrku.jpg

DSC_2498_zpsx3zy568w.jpg

DSC_2499_zpsduxvap50.jpg

I know it might look like I photoshopped these photos to make it B&W with just some colour, but I haven’t, this is how they came out.

DSC_2501_zpsf6tdos1c.jpg

DSC_2502_zpsz66ztpxp.jpg

DSC_2503_zpsix0ikqgc.jpg

DSC_2504_zps2dkdefzm.jpg

DSC_2505_zpsyzfhnew2.jpg

We got around to the North side of the White House. The President and the First family were not in DC, they were in Hawaii for the “Holidays”

DSC_2506_zpslivdj4w7.jpg

North Portico White House

A passer-by told us this was Paul Revere.

360 North Portico White House, Lafyette Park

General Comte de Rochambeau
DSC_2508_zpsvpjphoaf.jpg

DSC_2507_zpsre72w4kx.jpg

Some of the local wildlife in a tree in Lafyette Park
DSC_2511_zpsbrvohomn.jpg

DSC_2512_zpspe2zuapg.jpg

DSC_2509_zpsb3lwyxxq.jpg

DSC_2518_zpsioh1t1z3.jpg

DSC_2519_zpsisbwafsr.jpg

DSC_2517_zpsxx7vy15r.jpg

DS taking a photo for a couple in Lafayette Park
DSC_2523_zpsixmuwo8s.jpg

DSC_2520_zpsvu6a49fu.jpg

DSC_2528_zpsgieb2apx.jpg

DSC_2521_zpsm25os8yt.jpg

DSC_2533-Edit_zpsf6qw8gjw.jpg

DSC_2535_zpshhe8esuj.jpg

DSC_2542_zpsxz9gwtfs.jpg

We were certainly missing our puppy by now
DSC_2552_zpsupbh4epc.jpg

DSC_2540-Edit_zpsgemjccf5.jpg

DSC_2553_zpsspg9cnao.jpg

DSC_2548_zpsxc3zswnp.jpg

DSC_2555_zpslyklwf7i.jpg

DSC_2559_zpsk5vis6qm.jpg

First look Washington DC cont again...

US Treasury Building

DSC_2563_zpse40sxeje.jpg

DSC_2565_zpstiwcgebw.jpg

Taking a photo from the middle of the street
DSC_2570_zpsrfnyxz9t.jpg

DSC_2567_zpszepwvl8q.jpg

Washington Monument again
DSC_2561_zpsngxhgzn5.jpg

1600 Pennsylvania Ave is the Street Address of the White House.
DSC_2560_zpsqgvhofqw.jpg

1600 Pennsylvania Ave

It was starting to get a bit late and dark quite early, it was also quite cold. So we decided we would make our way back to the hotel. We tossed up a few ideas for dinner. We did try to get a reservation for The Hamilton and Old Ebbit Grill, but both were booked out. So in the end we decided we would just stay in and have room service.

We decided what we would each have and I called down and placed the order. About half an hour later there was a knock on one of the 4 entrances to the suite. It was room service of course, I let the gentleman in who was wheeling in a cart with an assortment of meals. I looked at some of the meals on the top and I said that I did not think this was what we had ordered. There was a plate of cheeses with crackers, a fruit platter and also a Penfolds bottle of red wine, none of which we ordered. The waiter said, oh yes Sir these are your meals, Mr Williams has sent you up some complimentary dishes and a bottle of Australian wine also. Again we were surprised and amazed at his generosity and our luck. The waiter then proceeded to set the table with a tablecoth and place settings for us to have our room service dinner. What a top off to an already incredible day!

Dinner setting
DSC_2572_zpshxzruv77.jpg

Last edited:
What a great first day!

Did you have a walking plan for that day or did you just wing it?

No plan. The White House was our prime goal for that afternoon. We effectively just walked around the block, it was just a very big block!

We were probably out for maybe 2 hours maybe a touch more. Like I mentioned it did get dark quite early and being such an overcast day did not help that.

We had 2 more full days to cram in as much as we could

I got up a little earlier than the others and went and took some photos of the lobby and outside the hotel, before breakfast and staring our day. The hotel is very much a historic hotel. The lobby was decorated for Christmas. They had ornaments from the White House Historical Association. https://www.whitehousehistory.org/collections/white-house-2015-ornament which have an ornament for each year going back to I think 1981.

DSC_2573_zps9kuilwth.jpg

DSC_2574_zpscyv0p2sa.jpg

DSC_2583_zpsdoxeynbd.jpg

DSC_2576_zpsyukf6mro.jpg

DSC_2575_zpsvajsh9nv.jpg

DSC_2578_zpsr01smir2.jpg

DSC_2580_zpskykoeh95.jpg

DSC_2582_zpsotret7ol.jpg

DSC_2579_zpszj5fbuho.jpg

DSC_2581_zps3rsemghe.jpg

DSC_2577_zps4kxuobuk.jpg

DSC_2588_zpsqcetbtjz.jpg

Some of the History of the hotel and Presidential Guests

DSC_2585_zps2pbzbm0b.jpg

A Gingerbread Lincoln Memorial

DSC_2584_zpstqibymgi.jpg

DSC_2589_zps3lisspos.jpg

DS had built Edge up in his mind a lot and teh reality didnt quite match for him, but as he said in his review there were good parts to it which he enjoyed. If/when we go on the next one he will be ready for Vibe so that will be a different story!

My tween enjoyed Edge, but the teen LOVED Vibe. It was the highlight of the trip for him. We pretty much only saw him sleeping in in the morning, at dinner & coming in at night. He enjoyed Vibe & exploring with his friends. Even clued us in to the Deck 14 sitting area.

loving this report still! Thanks lffam!!!
We are still not convinced on a cruise, even a Disney one, but love your photos of DC we so want to go back and I am looking forward to NYC and did you visit Boston?
We were considering another Winter trip next year, but the freezing temperatures put me off...we have only been to the coasts and deserts in the Winter previously.

Wow to get such an upgrade. Very snazzy. Did you feel like royalty? Looked very cold there. In contrast we melted when we were in Washington which dampened our enthusiasm somewhat though we adored the museums.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter