We had a Disney December, Bahamian Xmas, NYC NYE and then some!! COMPLETED!

You're upgrade was amazing! So worth the extra you had to pay - the verandah looks so spacious. I love the smile on your son's face from the moment of stepping onboard to seeing the upgraded room.

You're upgrade was amazing! So worth the extra you had to pay - the verandah looks so spacious. I love the smile on your son's face from the moment of stepping onboard to seeing the upgraded room.

The suite was so good and well worth the extra $$ for us. If we didn't get the upgrade, well we would have not known any different and I am sure we would have had a great time also.

You know those moment when DS or DW have that reaction its really rewarding. While the upgrade was a luck of the draw, when they get that kind of enjoyment from the holiday it makes all the planning and preparation worth it.

Last edited:
Our First Exploration of Disney Fantasy

After we settled into our suite, we decided to take a wander around the ship. We were really very excited. Our suite was on deck 11. We walked back to where we had entered our room corridor and were going to walk through to the pool deck. When we walked back the Spa staff were there and offered us a tour of the Spa. We decided to go through and have a look. They were having some “boarding specials” They showed us a variety of treatment rooms and talked about a number of different treatments, I was quite surprised at how much space they had on the ship to be honest. In the end we thanked them for the tour but didn’t book any treatments.

We walked through to look around on deck 11 which is the main pool deck. We also went up to deck 12 & deck 13.

DSC_1876_zps6qltmvqx.jpg

DSC_1875_zpsg9fkkxul.jpg

DSC_1877_zpswocuiqxs.jpg

DSC_1878_zpsknngjemy.jpg

The Aqua Duck waterslide which goes around and even over the edge of the ship. We rode it a little later in the trip, great fun!
DSC_1879_zpstndommt9.jpg

DSC_1881_zpszp4dkgll.jpg

DS was keen to go and have a look at the kids club, which was called “Edge”. This is Disney’s tween club for 11- 14. DS was 12 at the time of the trip. We went up and he had a look around met the cast members and got a copy of the days activities. He was planning to spend a lot of time there. We weren’t too sure how we felt about that, we had never been on a holiday where he has gone off on his own yet, but would see how it went. DS is going to write a review of Edge, which I will post later.

One of the first times working out if we had to go forward, mid or aft

DSC_1883_zps4uziaqbw.jpg

Some Disney art adorning the ship walls
DSC_1882_zpsqjdfpo4b.jpg

IMG_1698_zpskqx2ltwa.jpg

DSC_1885_zpscrusbnwx.jpg

DSC_1887_zpslgi25teo.jpg

View outside to the pool deck from Edge
DSC_1889_zpsfaapsfml.jpg

DSC_1888_zpsrkdckici.jpg

DSC_1891_zps54bt5v6b.jpg

DSC_1892_zpsghlybrwt.jpg

We also went and checked out the concierge private sun deck area which is on deck 13. This is a nice big area and which every time we went there, apart from when they had a concierge event on, there was never anyone else there.

DSC_1896_zpsocoo3hmq.jpg

DSC_1898_zpsokrsdfvt.jpg

Nice touch, supplied sunscreen
DSC_1901_zpsesmppean.jpg

In the photo below. the white covered area which looks like it has curtain pulled either side, is actually the cover for the stairs which go back down to the concierge lounge on deck 12. The dome in the left foreground is the "skylight" you may have noticed in the concierge lounge pictures I posted earlier.
DSC_1900_zpsbnfqppc5.jpg

After that we went down to Cabanas for something to eat. I had read that Enchanted Garden was also suggested place to go to eat on the first day but we found a seat easily so we went with the buffet. Upon walking into Cabanas there was a cast member handing out hand wipes , which as it turned out napped pretty much the entire meal times for the cruise. A good sign that they take that part seriously as it can affect the entire ship.

This was our first look at the food on the cruise and I must say we were very impressed. There was so much selection and the quality seems so great. There were cast member walking around selling packs of water. The concierge told us not to buy any as they were all included in our rooms whatever drinks we wanted.

After this we went back to our suite and had to get ready for the Emergency Muster drill. We were in Walt Disney theatre for this. It was well run and didn’t take too long but clearly an important safety activity. We then went back to our suite again and got ready to go down for the Sail Away party.

Last edited:

so cool! I just shared with the Children and they are asking to go on a cruise now...LOL
I take no responsibility!! I do find reading trip reports infectious and I normally catch "another-trip-itis" as was the case for this one !

I take no responsibility!! I do find reading trip reports infectious and I normally catch "another-trip-itis" as was the case for this one !

LOL! Yes I agree. I do need to stop reading them as we are trying to narrow down our trips for next year and still have four different countries in play...

Sailing Away......

Before leaving port

DSC_1872_zpsvlumgj1n.jpg

DSC_1873_zpsjf2mhewb.jpg

Carnival Cruise Lines Ship
DSC_1895_zps1ei7t1nf.jpg

I was really interested to see how crowded the sail away party was going to be. I had these visions of the entire ship trying to watch from decks 11 & 12. Thankfully it wasn’t like that. I was pleasantly surprised. While there were lots of people it didn’t seem over crowded. We were able to get a spot on deck 12 which had a pretty good view of the stage and the festivities. It was all singing and dancing with cast members and the characters.

It took me a while to realise we were actually sailing, but once I did it was extra exciting.

Sailing away
IMG_1700_zpss7ks4is2.jpg

And the party
DSC_1908_zpsqxobags8.jpg

DSC_1910_zpsabb4jipr.jpg

DSC_1912_zpsonkhrcnj.jpg

DSC_1915_zpspxy0zerz.jpg

DSC_1917_zpsfrsmjvgj.jpg

DSC_1921_zps13fyhjyj.jpg

DSC_1928_zpsjyj6t7ka.jpg

DSC_1934_zpsymdwblly.jpg

DSC_1924_zpssj9rcirs.jpg

DSC_1930_zpseov7hvbu.jpg

DSC_1936_zpspnpywxot.jpg

DSC_1940_zpsyoble8h0.jpg

DSC_1938_zpskmzqqd9s.jpg

Disney Cruise Navigator

Before I go any further I thought I would post a copy of the days Navigator. For those that don’t know, the Navigator is a daily guide of all the activities that are going on for the day on board Your stateroom host leaves a copy in your room when they make it up at night. You can also get an electronic copy via the Disney cruise app when you are on the cruise.

Navigator 19th December 2015

I’ll try and post it at the beginning of each day’s post.

Last edited:
Lighting of Christmas Tree

Here are a few photos that we took after the Sail Away show.

Model of the Ship in the Conceirge Lounge

DSC_1943_zpsay9jlvsd.jpg

DSC_1942_zpsji623bkn.jpg

Next we went a show in Walt Disney Theatre called “A Fantasy Come True” . It was show about a family going on there first cruise and used a bit of a narrative to tell some of the activities that are on board. Nothing spectacular, but a bit of light entertainment which folded in previews of some of the other acts that were on board. Then they had the Cruise Director, Peter, came on and gave a welcome and more details about the activities on board.

After this show, we went to the Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony which was being held in the Lobby Atrium at 7:30pm. We heard a familiar accent, which was from the Assistant Cruise Director, Trent who was an Aussie lad. The first of a few Aussies crew members that we came across during the cruise.

DSC_1945_zps0yalsway.jpg

DSC_1946_zpsozhordfg.jpg

Aussie Trent, Assistant Cruise Director
DSC_1948_zpsuhvyktz3.jpg

DSC_1957_zpsjlur5zcc.jpg

DSC_1960_zps0hxwmgez.jpg

DSC_1951_zpsqgvucphq.jpg

DSC_1953_zpst1bjgzma.jpg

DSC_1949_zpsnvgqy1de.jpg

DSC_1964_zpsnamrdvfl.jpg

DSC_1970_zpsuyhoxlym.jpg

DSC_1985_zpsavtxwxgg.jpg

DSC_1984_zpszkv0pwms.jpg

DSC_1961_zpsjuhh45tj.jpg

DSC_1963_zpsmuakr8a1.jpg

The tree lighting

Our first meal at The Enchanted Garden

We were on the second dining rotation, 8:15pm. We were in The Enchanted Garden for the first night. We didn’t know if we would be at a table with others or on our own. We waited until it was time to be seated. DS was a little quiet.

DSC_1987_zpsb52obx7p.jpg

We were directed to our table where we were introduced to our server and waiter, Mio (Serbia)& Dan (Romania). We were seated with another family husband & wife & their three boys. We sat down and had a look at the menu. I had mentioned DS was quiet earlier. We soon knew something wasn’t right. By now DW had noticed he was looking a little a pale. We contemplated what to do, in the end I took him out to see if a getting out of the restaurant improved things.

To cut a long story short, it didn’t. I’ll spare the details, but DS was feeling the effects of motion sickness. The boat was definitely rocky, though we didn’t have anything to compare that to so we weren’t sure if this was normal or not. Walking down the corridors we were swayed from side to side, much like someone who had had too much to drink after another QLD State of Origin series win(sorry NSW, I couldn’t resist!) It hit him pretty hard. After a while we called the medical centre just to be sure. We described his symptoms and the medical personnel said it sounded like it was motion sickness and that they had received many reports shipwide and that it was unusually rough. He suggested we get some motion sickness tablets from the shops on deck 3, but if we wanted him to be seen by the doctor we could bring him down there, would be a cost, but he was confident the best course would be to take the tablet and then if that did not help then we could always see the doctor after that. That all seemed reasonable. By this time DW was starting to feel a little sick also. I went out to go and get some tablets. On my way out I ran into one of our Stateroom Hosts, Hubert. He asked how my evening was and I gave him a quick run down and told him I was off to get some tablets. He said no wait there I will get you some. He then took me to Concierge and he told Tawanda that I needed some. Quick as a flash I was given a handful, most importantly the ones for kids. I went back down and gave DS one. DS recalls that they made him really drowsy, but at this stage that was ok. They alleviated the symptoms and he went off to sleep and we didn’t hear a peep from him till the next morning, though we did check on him throughout the night.

DW was starting to feel some effects also so she took a tablet also. By now the head waiter from our rotational dining had called the room and to find out how DS was. After explaining he said he wanted to send us up some food. He was sending a waiter up with the menu and I was to call Concierge with our choices and they would have the food delivered to the room. I really wasn’t expecting this and thought this was incredibly nice of them to do. Both DW & I didn’t have too much of an appetite but we knew we would have to eat something so this just helped us with that. We order some light food and after a little while it arrived. By not DS was fast asleep. I went back up to concierge lounge as Tawanda had asked for me to let them know how DS was and if we needed anything else.

So it wasn’t really an ideal first night on our cruise. We hoped that it wouldn’t be so rough tomorrow and that DS & DW would be feeling better. We were both really concerned for DS and hoped that this was just a hiccup and wasn't going to affect his enjoyment of what he had been looking forward to so much.

Recovery day, Mixology & Formal Night

Firstly, here is todays Navigator

Navigator 20th December 2015

The next morning DS was sleeping soundly so we let him. I went up to the concierge and got a coffee and breakfast. DW was still asleep. After DW woke she went to get some croissants from Cabanas and brought them back to the room to eat. DS was really out of it, he woke once but went back to bed. We thought we would just let him sleep.

It was still quite rocky. The concierge told us there was a storm around which was causing the rough seas. They had hoped that this would be the last day like this.

I’m not sure what these seas seem to others, and they don’t look too rough in the photos but they were certainly swaying the ship around a fair bit. The pools & Aqua Duck (waterslide) were closed today because of the seas. It was also really windy

DSC_1990_zpsuftvu5qz.jpg

DSC_1989_zpsmumelh1c.jpg

DS had woken up around 12. He had some light lunch. He was feeling better but still not 100%. We just stayed around the room and let him recuperate. We didn’t miss out on anything. We we were all happy to relax in the suite and We really just wanted him to get better so he could enjoy the rest of the cruise.

We visited the concierge lounge a couple of times to get some coffee and drinks and snacks. All of the staff we asking about DS and how he was going. They were really quite concerned.

I did have one activity booked and I wasn’t sure I wanted to go given that DS was still unwell but DW said I should. It was Mixology, a cocktail making class. It was held in Meridian bar which is between Palo & Remy on Deck 12 aft. It was taken by Andre and Jamaican Bar Tender on board. It was a really fun, though I have to say, if the ship wasn’t already rocky, that class makes walking down the corridor pretty hard! We mixed 5 drinks. We each got turns to make one. There was a lot of alcohol going around. I didn’t finish all of my drinks. I would highly recommend Mixology, it is a lot of fun.

IMG_1704_zpspf78plqo.jpg

This was the one I made, Espresso Martini
IMG_1707_zpsl4etpen0.jpg

The others..
IMG_1705_zpsloxksrkh.jpg

That evening was Formal night and were dining in The Royal Court. We were not really up to a big formal dinner so we decided we would just go down to Cabanas which was open for A-la-carte table service. It was much quieter here and the service was really good. We met another Aussie Crew Member, Aussie Steve. He was in charge of all the Quick Service restaurants onboard. He suggested the DS have some ginger-ale and some apple. He arranged to have some ginger-ale brought to our table for him. The dinner here was good, I was glad we chose this option for tonight. DS was starting to feel better. We were able to walk around the decks to take discover a bit more of the ship.

We made it back to our suite all made up by our stateroom hosts, Ronald & Hubert. I forgot to show you the towel animal they made the first night.

DSC_1988_zpsembqtiu5.jpg

and then the next night
DSC_1992_zpst497ngbi.jpg

DSC_1991_zpslxh8rati.jpg

These towel animals got more and more elaborate as the cruise went on!

Well that was the end of the second day on the cruise . DS was feeling better and we hoped another restful night, and not so rough seas tomorrow would mean he was able to get back to his normal self and enjoy the cruise a little more…our fingers were crossed !

Shame about the motion sickness.
I bought some tablets here that friends who have cruised recommended, we took one the night before the cruise and then every night before going to bed.
Glad we did, as we had some rough weather too, but the tablets worked fine.
Looking forward to reading the rest of your report, you took some great photos.

I bought some tablets here that friends who have cruised recommended, we took one the night before the cruise and then every night before going to bed.

Yes it was a real disappointment for us all but thankfully it didn't affect the trip to much. We will definitely be more diligent about using the tablets if , oh who am I kidding when, we go next time.

Thanks for the comments on the photos. I really enjoyed capturing the trip and looking at the over and over since we've been back.

Last edited:
Just catching up again, way behind the eight ball, I really like the Hall of the Presidents too. LOVE love your Osborne lights pics and your videos of them. Still gutted that they are closing they were so good but guess I should be grateful I got to see them once and sharing that experience that particular night is a cherished memory of our family I will have forever.

Since we all suffer badly from motion sickness it has made us all wary of trying cruising though DD suffers the most so if DH and I went on a trip just us (now DD is all grown up) we might be fine with pills. I would start out taking them like you did rather than risk 'wait and see' as I know if I got sick the first day or so I wouldn't be wanting to eat and would be tense the rest of the trip, partly as I have a vomiting phobia.

Just catching up again, way behind the eight ball, I really like the Hall of the Presidents too. LOVE love your Osborne lights pics and your videos of them. Still gutted that they are closing they were so good but guess I should be grateful I got to see them once and sharing that experience that particular night is a cherished memory of our family I will have forever.

Hall of Presidents was so good. I am a crazy US Presidential history fan and i can't believe I have missed this on my previous trips. Both all the presidential items on display and the animatronic Presidents are done so well.

It was sad knowing that we would not see the Osborne Lights again. Probably the reason we went to see them twice this trip.

I really like the one of you all in a Xmas bauble taken at WDW

I first thought you meant the one at Universal of me taking a photo of my reflection, but then I realised you meant the group one that we made with Memory Maker.

Since we all suffer badly from motion sickness it has made us all wary of trying cruising though DD suffers the most so if DH and I went on a trip just us (now DD is all grown up) we might be fine with pills. I would start out taking them like you did rather than risk 'wait and see' as I know if I got sick the first day or so I wouldn't be wanting to eat and would be tense the rest of the trip, partly as I have a vomiting phobia.

I didn have visions of it being a horrific 7 days but thankfully that didn't happen at all!

I should say still loving all your photos and story! Love experiencing it vicariously.

Well that's only fitting, as it was your trip report which had me doing exactly the same for Universal & Diagon Alley which made me realise that I really wanted to get us all back there to see it.

Palo Brunch

Here is the Navigator for today 21 December 2015

Today we had our Palo Brunch reservation. We had booked this well before we left. There were not many days open still when we booked it. We also tried to book Palo for Dinner and also Remy but could not get a reservation. I had read some really good reviews of the brunch so we thought that we would enjoy this.

DS was feeling better today and was happy to go to Edge while we were at our brunch. We both had a “wave” phone, which are supplied in each stateroom which was basically a mobile phone which could be used on board to call each other.

For those that don’t know Palo & Remy are two restaurants that are for adults only, the kiddies can’t dine here. While all other restaurants and food outlets on board are included in the price of the cruise, Palo & Remy are additional. The brunch for Palo was $30 per person and I tell you it is well worth the money. There is a dress code for both, I am not certain if Remy is to the same or higher standard, but our reservation came with the advice

“Brunch Attire: Dress code: Dress Shirt required for men; dress or pantsuit for women (jeans are not allowed) “

The atmosphere and décor is really appealing, the food was absolutely incredible, the service was top notch, in fact the service was almost a little too good. You had your own waiter who basically stood to the side but was ready to assist you for anything you wanted. At times it felt a little bit odd!

IMG_1708_zpstuxoa22v.jpg

From our table
IMG_1709_zpsyx1htqlt.jpg

The brunch was a buffet which you can go up as much as you liked. When you did go up there were always waiters there who would get a plate for you and walk along with you selecting anything you wanted. There was a great array of food, Italian based and they would also cook pizza and eggs to order. This is what we chose to have. I didn’t take my camera with me, so only have the iPhone photos I took.

Eggplant Parmigiana and a “cantaloupe” welcome
IMG_1713_zps60owgm8h.jpg

My Italian Sausage with chilli flakes Pizza
IMG_1711_zpsxywh6wlh.jpg

Perfectly cooked poached eggs with wilted spinach on sourdough
IMG_1712_zps5math54q.jpg

Included was a glass of champagne each. This was the view from our table
IMG_1710_zps0na2l3m4.jpg

Saved a little room for dessert. Chocolate covered strawberries
IMG_1715_zpsevn90d8j.jpg

Tiramisu
IMG_1714_zpsnctm2muq.jpg

I could not recommend this brunch enough. The only thing we would have loved to do to make the dining that little bit more special is dine here as a family. Next time I would certainly try and do Remy and Palo again.

We are going on this cruise in December! I can't wait to read the rest of your report. Now I'm thinking we should get to the port early to ask about an upgrade...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter