• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We Be Trippin': The Great DIS-nee Road Trip

DISgeeksfromDC

'Just call me "Scoopy" from the Mickey Moms Club.
It’s time for the DIS-nee Resort Family’s first-ever Virtual Road Trip! :car:

If you’re a “regular” on our thread, a long-time lurker, or a first-time visitor: :welcome:

Our happy little bunch has been together for quite a while -- since January 23, 2008, to be exact (when DISer luvsTink introduced the thread entitled “Diser's for CMO!").

One CMO Contest and nearly three full threads later, we’re still going strong! We’ve had a lot of laughs and forged some strong bonds along the way. In fact, we’ve decided to take a “virtual” road trip across the U.S. with Disneyland as our final destination! And, while were at it, we’ll visit each others’ hometowns along the way…

So, pack your bags, grab some “munchies," and get ready to hit the open road!

******​

BTW: I’ve attached the links to our earlier threads (below) as a point of reference. (…For anyone who might want a good laugh or a historical "retrospective." Good times! :teeth: )

*"Diser's for CMO!" (Thread #1)

*"CMO TOP 10 Announced" (Thread #2)

*"The Top Three Meet Dis-nee (CMO Contest, Part Three)" (Thread #3)

To Rehash ...

I know you’ve all been waiting eagerly for the unveiling of the DIS-nee Family Map. Ladies and gentlemen, here it is … Dis-nee Family Map

Might I suggest that everyone gets familiar with using this map. You never now, you might need to use it for something in the near future. :scratchin :confused3

And for the record . . . the above statement makes me very curious! What do you have up your sleeve? Hmmm....

Great map MadBrad!!

Justin, YOU are curious! Im the Director of Transportation and I know nothing about it!
MadBrad, Dont hit me at the last minute with a cross-country trip stopping to pick up everyone!
There is some planning involved on a journey like that....
The GPS unit does have to be set up with routes and addys you know...
I'll need maybe....24hrs. :car:

Oooooh, 3guys! It's like you're a .... mind-reader! Details really soon! ;)

Introduction to the DIS-nee Resort Family's first-ever Virtual Road Trip...

Man am I jealous of everyone...back and forth to Disney....pics of Disney....
I wanna go to Disney!!!!!

(3guys throws tantrum on floor)

Something else I have wanted to do is RV it across the country, zig zagging to see all the sites, while taking our time and enjoying the ride. I have been wanting to do that since my senior year of high school.

I'm with you there Tripp... a cross country road trip would be amazing…

Any one read any Bill Bryson? He's a travel writer - and a very funny one (well, actually he writes more than travel these days, but that's what made him famous) and every one of his books makes me want to jump in my car and go!

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Well, now… It seems like a lot of folks (including myself) would love to drop everything and hit the open road on a cross-country trip!

Why wait?

So, pack your bags! It’s time for our DISnee Resort Family’s first-ever Virtual Road Trip! We’ll zigzag across the U.S. in our virtual Party Bus, stopping along the way to pick up anyone who’s interested in joining the fun.

Our final destination: Disneyland, where – hopefully! – Fairy Gmother and CalDisneyFamily will be waiting to greet us at the end of our “tripp.”**

**(How was that, BTM? :teeth: )

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Here’s How it will Work:

:car: If you’d like to participate, then let me know (either within this thread or by PM). And, if you haven’t already, send Madbrad your location, and he’ll add it to our spiffy new Disnee Family map.

(Deadline: Friday, April 18)

(If you’re already on the map, but don’t care to participate, no worries! :hippie: We’ll just wave as we pass through your city! ;) )

:car: In a few days, we’ll post an updated map with our route charted and an “itinerary” of people’s pick-ups. (Really, it’s just the order of our stops along the way…)

:car: When the Party Bus reaches your “pick-up” spot, post a “must-see” tourist spot, a quirky destination or a hidden gem near your hometown. That way, our DISnee family can do a little sightseeing en route!

:car: And, of course, we’ll also share our silly observations along the way – like this funny road sign or a pit-stop at South of the Border to fuel up on gas and gawk at that hideously huge sombrero.

thumb_DSCF9933.jpg

:car: This will be a leisurely journey with a tag-team approach. (Once the person who precedes you in the itinerary posts his/her tourist pit-stop, then it’s time for your pick-up. Feel free to post when you’re ready, and – if you’re going to be out of pocket – forward the details in a PM to me, Cat or MadBrad, and someone would be happy to post for you!

We’ll just take our time, and enjoy the ride! :cool2:

:car: The Party Bus is currently scheduled to depart on Tuesday, April 22 (sometime after the CMO contest has wrapped and our winner has been announced).

Our first order of business: Finding the perfect vehicle! 3guys: How big is your luxury RV? As the DISnee Resort’s Director of Transportation, I’m thinking you should scout out the perfect set of wheels for our long-distance trip.

Otherwise, if it was my decision, we might get stuck with this: :scared1: The Doodlebops’ “Get on the Bus”

Clarifications (Your Questions Answered):

Just a quick question...are we supposed to just pick one place or should we pick several covering a variety of interests?

Whatever moves you! (It's your trip, after all! :teeth: ) I'm thinking, the more sites and the more stops en route, the more interesting the trip!!! :thumbsup2 I love to travel (or at least to think about traveling :rolleyes:), and I'd love any insider tips from folks who actually live near our destinations!! If there's a spot that you love that's en route -- but not in your hometown -- feel free to pop in at the appropriate time and post it, too!

(There is one little caveat: Everybody requested enough "vacation leave" from work, right? ;) )

Explain to me again though how we'll know when it's our turn? Or who is next? Didn't quite follow that?

Sure thing! ('Sorry for any confusion.)

:car: Once everyone has a chance to "RSVP" (by Friday, April 18), we'll map our route. (And, it won't necessarily be the most direct and fuel-efficient one! :rolleyes1).

:car: Based on the map, I'll also create an "itinerary." This will be a list of everyone who is participating in the order they will get picked up by the Party Bus and present their hometown destinations.

:car: On April 22, I'll kick off the trip in the Metro D.C. area. I'll post my tourist destination, then "pass the torch" to the next person en route. (My guess is that it will be Marshay -- unless we flush out some lurkers ... ;) )

:car: Once she has finished posting, we'll move on to the next person on the list.

:car: The "event" could last a few days, since it's not scheduled for a specific time-slot. However, out of respect for others playing, it would be nice to check periodically to see where the DISnee Resort family is en route, so you don't bring the bus to a screeching halt (for too long)! ;)

I hope this helps! 'Lemme know if it's still unclear! :hippie:

Note: Itinerary revised to include BigThunderMtn (BTM), DSNY4ever, disneyhockeymad and Disneymommom and to remove Justin M. Also, calliaz and Disneyfalcon have switched order in the itinerary.

VIRTUAL ROAD-TRIP ITINERARY:

1 (a.) – DISgeeksfromDC (Gaithersburg, MD)
1 (b.) – Mr. DISgeeksfromDC (Gaithersburg, MD)
2 – HaunteMansionFan (Taunton, MA)
3 – 3guysandagal (Richmond Hill, Ontario, CA)
4 – Marshay (Ashburn, Virginia)
5 (a.) – Mrs. fleagle (Yorktown, VA)
5 (b.) – fleagle (Yorktown, VA)
6 – AnnDisneyFan (Charlotte, NC)
7 - BigThunderMtn (Atlanta, GA)
8 – JenniferAtl (Atlanta, GA)
9 – KigerKat (Atlanta, GA)
10 – madbrad76 (Florence, AL)
11 - Disneymommom (Dry Prong, LA)
12 – Suz D (Bloomington, IN)
13 – tothesea (Oklahoma City, OK)
14 – spreadingpixiedust (Tyler, TX)
15 – catotigger (Bryan, TX)
16 – swwaake (Austin, TX)
17 – calliaz (Tempe, AZ)
18 – Disneyfalcon (Colorado Springs, CO)
19 – FirstTimeCaller (Freeland, WA)
20 – circusgirl (Seattle, WA)
21 (a.) - mrs autopia driver (Bremerton, WA)
21 (b.) - wotruba-disney/Mr. Autotopia (Bremerton, WA)
22 - DSNY4ever (Folsom, CA)
23 – CalDisneyFamily (California)
24 - Disneyland (Anaheim, CA)
25 - Miss Stitch (Leeds, England)
26 - disneyhockeymad (Kent, England)
27 - Disneyland Resort Paris

A few notes:

:car: Post at your leisure. The "event" could last a few days (or weeks! :scared1:), since it's not scheduled for a specific time-slot. However, out of respect for others playing, it would be nice to check periodically to see where the DIS-nee Resort family is en route, so you don't bring the bus to a screeching halt (for too long)! ;)

:car: Make posts (about your tourist "pit-stops") as simple or elaborate as you'd like.

:car: I had forgotten that Justin expressed an interest in joining us on our Road Trip. I've added him to the final itinerary, but -- if we don't hear back from him in the next day or so -- then maybe he can meet us somewhere en route!

Map and Mini "Tutorial":
(compliments of madbrad)

MAP:

Ladies and gentlemen, here it is … Dis-nee Family Map

Hey Miss Stitch!! You're now on the map way up in the upper right corner.

map-1.jpg

MINI TUTORIAL: "How to Use the DIS-nee Family Map"

Without logging in, the use of the map is pretty simple. It is just Google maps. You can use the tool in the upper left corner of the map to zoom in or out or to pan around the map. By using the tools in the upper right corner, you can see a Regular, Satellite, or Hybrid map. You can also choose the Legend tab and select Show All Marker Tiles to display everyone’s name on the map at the same time. If you do this, the map does get a little clustered. It does give you a better perspective of where everyone’s at though.

If you hover over one of the red markers on the map, it will display who that person is. The same applies with the list of people in the column on the left. If you actually select the red marker or from the column, it will open a window with a picture of that person as well as the city that person is in. Within this window, you can actually get directions from point to point.

Okay, I think that's enough "housekeeping" for now...

(Hopefully those last few posts got everyone up to speed!)

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The Party Bus is pulling into the DISgeeks Family’s driveway!

We have our bags packed,​

Luggage1.jpg
luggage-sculpture-santiago-aeropuerto-de-santiago-airport-chile.jpg

...and we’re bringing gobs of snacks to share!​

snackmachine.gif
456808382_0fcfa6dbe6.jpg
crackerjacks.jpg
twinkies-0407-460x360.jpg
peanutbutter.jpg
Apple%20Slices%20on%20Plate_Reduced.jpg
cheese_cubes2.jpg
k882.jpg
Crumbs%20Bakeshop%20assorted%20cupcakes.jpg

It will just take a few minutes to cram all of our “stuff’ into the DIS-nee Family motor-home’s substantial storage compartment…

“Hit it, Mr. DISgeeks!” :thumbsup2 (... He’s the one who typically does all of the heavy lifting during our trips. My specialty: Overpacking! :rolleyes: )

And we’re off….

[The Party Bus exits the DISgeeks’ neighborhood and cruises down the interstate past a few exits, until…]

“Wait! Stop the Party Bus! We forgot to bring Junior DISgeeks’ beloved blankie!”

[*Screeeeeeeeeeeeetch!* The Party Bus screeches to a halt, then heads back towards the DISgeeks homestead.]

‘Sorry about that, folks! :blush: It’s just a minor delay, really…. :flower3:

Lather. Rinse. [Better not] Repeat.

As a stay-at-home-mom, I suppose it’s appropriate that I've picked extremely kid-friendly destinations for our first few stops.

Two parks in Montgomery County, Maryland, have a few added bells and whistles (literally!) that could capture any child’s heart! We’re heading to Cabin John Regional Park in Rockville, Maryland, then to Wheaton Regional Park in – well! – Wheaton.

Our first stop: Cabin John Regional Park (Rockville, Maryland)

Cabin John Regional Park has ball fields, tennis courts, an ice-skating rink, sheltered picnic areas and a sizable playground shaded by trees. By far, though, the Park’s best feature is its miniature train, a replica of the 1863 C.P. Huntington. (See the train head into the station.) …Oh, and there's "Porky the Litter Eater," a weathered icon that’s probably the most unique talking trashcan I’ve ever seen! He may even beat PUSH! (Folks, you really have to see – and hear! – it to believe it!)

Click here to understand what I’m sayin’! (Watch "Porky the Litter Eater" in action.)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yep! Somehow Porky has become a favorite in the DISgeeks household. (Our children have come to identify the place as, “that Park with the pig trashcan.” :rolleyes:) The spectacle is alternatively intriguing and appalling. On more than one occasion, I’ve witnessed children’s eager, smiling faces fade to sheer fright once Porky starts his "spiel." (He's definitely good for a guaranteed chuckle – albeit a sort of warped one! :rolleyes1)

168222Photo_1_-_Cabin_John_Sign_-med.JPG
168222Photo_2_-_Cabin_John_Train_House-Station_-med.JPG

Cabin John Regional Park – Home of a Miniature Choo-Choo Train, Hippo-Themed Water Fountain and "Porky the Litter Eater"

168222Photo_2_-_Cabin_John_Choo-Choo-med.JPG
168222Photo_3_-_Cabin_John_Railroad_Crossing_-med.JPG

Cabin John Regional Park – Miniature Train and Railroad Crossing

168222Photo_4_-_Cabin_John_Porky_the_Litter_Eater_-med.JPG
168222Photo_5_-_Cabin_John_Hippo_Fountain_-med.JPG

Cabin John Regional Park - "Porky the Litter Eater" and an Unusual Water Fountain (“Hippo!?!” :eek:)

168222Photo_6_-_Cabin_John_Playground_Totem_Pole_-med.JPG
168222Photo_8_-_Cabin_John_Playground2_-med.JPG
168222Photo_7_-_Cabin_John_-_Playground1_-med.JPG

Cabin John Regional Park - Plenty of Playground Equipment in the Shade

Related Web Sites:

*Cabin John Regional Park

*Cabin John Miniature Train

Our next stop: Wheaton Regional Park and Brookside Gardens

Like Cabin John, Wheaton Regional Park has its own miniature train, picnic areas and playground (with considerably less shade). The Park also has a carousel!

Today, though, we’re going to visit Brookside Gardens, a 50-acre public display garden that’s located within the Park. Brookside Gardens hosts a Winter Garden Walk (“Garden of Lights”) during the holidays and a Live Butterfly Exhibit (“Wings of Fancy”) during the summer months.

The live butterfly exhibit doesn’t open until early May, so I’ll be posting video footage and photos from last season. Sneak a peak at the live butterfly exhibit (through the DISgeeks Family’s eyes).

[Side Note: DD kept whining that the butterflies wouldn't land on her. By the end of our visit, though, she got her wish… ;)]

168222Brookside_Gardens_-_Butterfly_Throne21-med.JPG
168222Brookside_Gardens_-_Butterfly_Throne1-med.JPG

Brookside Gardens - Butterfly “Throne”

168222Brookside_Gardens_-_Sea_of_Purple-med.JPG
Brookside Gardens - Surrounded by a Sea of Purple Flowers

Related Web Sites:

*Wheaton Regional Park

*Wheaton Park Carousel

*Wheaton Park Miniature Train

*Brookside Gardens

*Brookside Gardens: Winter Garden Walk

*Brookside Gardens: Live Butterfly Exhibit

MORE TO COME...

This is GREAT!

I'm having a wonderful time so far. I feel like I'm really there!

DISgeeks - you ROCK!!!!!!!!:cool1:

Waiting anxiously for the next installment!

Cat (DISgeeks' #1 Fan)

WOW!!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!!

What an incredible job, DisGeeks!

I need to go back and really check out those 2 places so we can go visit them!

I think I might need to collaborate with my fellow Atlantans and make sure we don't make multiple stops!!

Loving the trip so far, VERY well done!!

(I just noticed the posting times - do you ever sleep????)

Well now I'm getting nervous...... the bus is headed my way when DISgeeks is done and she has started with an amazing job.... I have to follow that soon?!?!?!! :rotfl:

3guys in the thread!!!

Well now I'm getting nervous...... the bus is headed my way when DISgeeks is done and she has started with an amazing job.... I have to follow that soon?!?!?!! :rotfl:

And we are after you, gotta put together an itinerary of where to go today before the bus arrives at the border.
Everyone got their passports?

I'm so excited the trip has begun!! Disgeeks you've set a high standard!!

That she has.
So much to do, so little time!!!

Okay I am late to joining the road trip- but this is such a neat idea. If you guys want to pass through Northern California I am in Folsom, California, just between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe! But it looks like I missed the deadline, so I can just read all the fun and share some snacks along the way popcorn::

Great job Disgeeks- you guys are making me want to plan a trip!

Okay I am late to joining the road trip- but this is such a neat idea. If you guys want to pass through Northern California I am in Folsom, California, just between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe! But it looks like I missed the deadline, so I can just read all the fun and share some snacks along the way popcorn::

We are still a long way from California and I'm sure we could fit you in.
Just Pm DisGeeks with any info.
Welcome Aboard!

Dsny4ever I'm headed to Tahoe in three weeks!! I could use some tips now from you!!:)

Thanks! :goodvibes

Hey, DSNY4ever: If you're serious about joining us, there's still room on our Party Bus!

(The deadline was more for the sake of making sure we don't miss any earlier pick-ups on the East Coast. Oh, and there also was that business about creating a special map to chart our course. It sort of has yet to materialize :scared:, but I hear that 3guys (our Transportation Director and fearless navigator) has an uncanny ability to improvise... especially in "virtual" situations! :rolleyes1 (Details! :rolleyes: )

'Just say the word, and I'll revise the itinerary (in Post #5) to include you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter