• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We ate HOW much?? 10 days of total gluttony at WDW, with pics! UPDATE 9/2/12!

Thanks so much for your thoughts on BWV :) I had really been concerned when I saw a the sofa bed :sad2: but knowing it's not a traditional sofa bed is good. I am planning to rent through DVC Rental Store, no way I'd rent directly either, way to paranoid about losing money and having no room:eek: and having to deal with my husband if that happened would not be fun:rolleyes1

Biergarten is one of our favorites restaurants in WDW, looking forward to your review:goodvibes

What a wonderful array of restaurants you selected! :worship: Love the back-to-back combo of Kona dinner and breakfast, we've done that before as well! :laughing: That coffee panna cotta looks SO good, I've definitely got to try that sometime! Thanks for the great reviews and great photos! :thumbsup2

Thank you! We like to mix things up with restaurants so that we're not always eating the same thing, and we try as much as possible on vacation to go to restaurants that have more unique items that we can't get so easily at home. Of course, sometimes we are in the mood for something more typical like a burger, but we also love trying new and different foods.

Your trip is just around the corner...enjoy! I always say that if I lived close to WDW, I would be there all the time...but I'm not so sure. I live very close to the main attractions in NYC and I don't go to those much at all...don't even go into Manhattan all that much!

Thanks so much for your thoughts on BWV :) I had really been concerned when I saw a the sofa bed :sad2: but knowing it's not a traditional sofa bed is good. I am planning to rent through DVC Rental Store, no way I'd rent directly either, way to paranoid about losing money and having no room:eek: and having to deal with my husband if that happened would not be fun:rolleyes1

Biergarten is one of our favorites restaurants in WDW, looking forward to your review:goodvibes

You're very welcome! I forgot about the DVC Rental Store...that sounds like a good way to go for renting points. Much safer than directly through someone you don't know.

:confused3Now to continue with dinner…

We had a 6pm ADR for dinner at Biergarten. We had taken an afternoon break, and when we arrived at Epcot’s International Gateway, the clouds had rolled in and I heard a little thunder. We knew we had to try to make it to Germany quickly, yet safely. Germany is quite a few countries into the WS, so this was going to take some time. :rolleyes1

I took Philip by the hand, and Eric took Jonathan by the hand. Eric could carry Jonathan if need be, and Philip is able to walk pretty fast. Shortly after we started walking, Philip and I couldn’t see Eric and Jonathan right behind us anymore. We heard more thunder. We started walking a little faster, going around people in the hopes of getting to Biergarten before it really started coming down…it looked like it was going to begin pouring any second! So we just kept going. We felt a drop…and then another. I then realized that all 4 ponchos were in Eric’s bag, and we couldn’t see him and Jonathan. Philip and I were fortunate enough to make it to Biergarten just in time…Eric and Jonathan came about 2-3 minutes later. And then it started to completely pour!! The rest of the family was inside already. Boy, did we all feel lucky that we dodged that one! pixiedust: We figured, worse comes to worse, we could hang around in the Biergarten a little longer and have some more beer!

We arrived early for our ADR, and I checked us in. We waited just a few minutes and then we were seated. Usually at Biergarten, you share the table with other guests, but we had a table for 10 all to ourselves. This was also the case in 2010 when we all went. The first thing we did was order a beer flight for each of the adults! This comes with 4 generous samples of different German beers, and we always get this at Biergarten. It was excellent as always! Here’s a pic of mine and Eric’s:

5e39b102.jpg

Biergarten is set up as a buffet. This is the most amazing buffet I have ever seen…we love German food very much, and the food here is very authentic. My grandfather was German (his mother came here from Germany), and there was only one German restaurant he would go to, when I was little. It was in Glendale (Queens), NY and it was called Gebhardt’s. Unfortunately, even though it lasted decades and decades, it is not there anymore. Up until it closed, our family was still frequenting it and the food was just as good as always. I’m glad Eric got to go there several times with us before it closed. But I really miss it. :sad2:

At the buffet, they have different types of salads, cold German sausages, pretzel bread, and all kinds of German hot foods…sauerbraten, beef roulades, spaetzle, German sausages, German meatloaf (tastes like German sausage), schnitzel, potato dumplings, etc. They also have some kid-friendly items like mac and cheese, and hot dogs. The kids all found plenty to eat that they loved. I didn’t get pics of all the foods I had, but I did take this pic, with some of the cold items and the pretzel bread:

25b02ed2.jpg

I did go back up a couple of more times and I had the sauerbraten, sausages, German meatloaf, dumplings, spaetzle, and schnitzel. For desserts, they had apple streudel, Bavarian cheesecake, vanilla pudding with chocolate chips, black forest cake, and fresh fruit. I tried everything except the fruit! The apple streudel was very authentic and delicious. It had just the right amount of butter to complement it, but not too much. The Bavarian cheesecake is out of this world…I always enjoy this! It has thin layers of cake, surrounding a creamy layer of cheese (light, not too thick or anything, and very smooth texture), and topped with powdered sugar. The black forest cake was good, but I didn’t eat the whole piece because it’s not a total favorite of mine, I just wanted to try it. The pudding was also good, but I took a couple of bites and I was just too full. Overkill full…like, on the verge of feeling sick full. :sick: I felt very bloated, and I knew I had completely overdone it between the food and the beer. I ate so much pretzel bread, so many potato dumplings, so much meat, sausage (which usually gives me heartburn but it tasted soooooo good!), and the desserts, plus I had that beer flight. The kids wanted to dance to the band that was playing, and my dad and I went with them. I had to sit back down, I was just way too full to even stand. I started freaking out, but my mom and Eric calmed me down. Then I was OK. We had already paid the bill, so I told everyone I would meet them outside, and I would be around the shops. I needed to walk this off. After about 5 minutes, I was fine. It was also gorgeous outside, no rain, clouds had passed! :)

Here’s a pic of the band at Biergarten:

ad6787d9.jpg

And a pic of me and Eric, enjoying some of our beer flights:

327ac86e.jpg

This meal cost $135.64 for the 4 of us, including tax, gratuity and after applying the TiW discount. As a whole, the TiW card saved our party of 10 a total of $62.58 on food, and $12 on the 6 beer flights. This meal was well worth every penny! We had fantastic service too, with a waitress that was very attentive, cleared plates right away, and she was very friendly and nice to all of us.
Yes, Biergarten remains our absolute favorite restaurant on WDW property! Usually my favorite restaurant is not a buffet, but this one is just so good, and the food is so amazing. It does not taste at all like it came off a buffet. The quality is exceptional, and my mom and I both agree that my grandfather would have not only approved of this place, but he would have loved it too! The atmosphere also can’t be beat. You really feel like you are sitting outside, but you are in nice comfy air-conditioning! :thumbsup2

Up next: lunch at Sci-Fi. Do we still love their burgers? Did we even get burgers? Stay tuned to find out! :happytv:

YAY for Biergarten :thumbsup2
Last time I was there I had to get up ang get more of the meatballs they had with spaetzle YUM, and the fish mmmm, well I could go on and on.
This place is wonderful :). Glad you guys enjoyed it.
I've never had the beer flight and may try it next time.

Yeah for a good Biergarten review!! It is our first ADR in October! Currently scheduled for 3:05pm (or close to that off the top of my head.) I am thinking I may try for earlier though! That night we have the F&W 3D Dessert Party that starts at 6:45, if we eat at 3ish I am thinking we may not have room for the yummy desserts! How long would yo usay you would need after Biergarten till you ate again?!!?

YAY for Biergarten :thumbsup2
Last time I was there I had to get up ang get more of the meatballs they had with spaetzle YUM, and the fish mmmm, well I could go on and on.
This place is wonderful :). Glad you guys enjoyed it.
I've never had the beer flight and may try it next time.

I recommend the beer flight. That way, you don't have to decide which one to get, you get to try 4 of them! We all love it and always get it! Can't beat it for $10 either! :thumbsup2

Yeah for a good Biergarten review!! It is our first ADR in October! Currently scheduled for 3:05pm (or close to that off the top of my head.) I am thinking I may try for earlier though! That night we have the F&W 3D Dessert Party that starts at 6:45, if we eat at 3ish I am thinking we may not have room for the yummy desserts! How long would yo usay you would need after Biergarten till you ate again?!!?

I would definitely go for a little earlier at Biergarten if you can get it. I would say that I would need about 3 hours after I finish eating before I could eat again. But, even longer is better. See if you can get as close to 1pm as possible, even noon is good because if you do get hungry around 3 or 4pm, you could always grab a quick small snack. You won't want to hold back at Biergarten, the food is so amazing! I suppose you could skip the desserts at Biergarten though, since you will be enjoying those at your party later on...but the Bavarian cheesecake is awesome and I wouldn't go there without having at least some of that.

I would definitely go for a little earlier at Biergarten if you can get it. I would say that I would need about 3 hours after I finish eating before I could eat again. But, even longer is better. See if you can get as close to 1pm as possible, even noon is good because if you do get hungry around 3 or 4pm, you could always grab a quick small snack. You won't want to hold back at Biergarten, the food is so amazing! I suppose you could skip the desserts at Biergarten though, since you will be enjoying those at your party later on...but the Bavarian cheesecake is awesome and I wouldn't go there without having at least some of that.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter! The reason I booked that time was in hopes of getting some of the dinner items but I think having room for the desserts at the party would be a better idea!!

I actually received a call this morning from Disney saying the 3D party will be an hour later so that will give us an extra hour to digest our food!!

The Biergarten is our (my wife and I) favorite. We are going there twice when we visit in 10 days. We are doing the Sci-Fi diner for lunch after we land. The pictures you have posted are amazing and has us both anticipating our trip that much more. Thank you for sharing your trip.

I actually received a call this morning from Disney saying the 3D party will be an hour later so that will give us an extra hour to digest our food!!

That's great! More time to digest all the yummy German food! :thumbsup2

The Biergarten is our (my wife and I) favorite. We are going there twice when we visit in 10 days. We are doing the Sci-Fi diner for lunch after we land. The pictures you have posted are amazing and has us both anticipating our trip that much more. Thank you for sharing your trip.

I'm so glad you are enjoying my reviews. The Biergarten is also our favorite. We really love German food and it is just so good there, and the fact that it's a buffet makes it even better, because I don't have to choose between the different dishes...I love it all! I will be reviewing Sci-Fi lunch next...should be tomorrow, so stick around!

Two visits to Biergarten in one trip...now I really envy you! Hmm...this is something to consider for next time! ;)

Just found your review and reading through. Boy are you making me hungry! :)

I haven't gotten past your Plaza review yet but I wanted to let you know about Chef Ken.

While I certainly don't know him personally, I noticed in one of your pictures that his name tag is blue with white writing, instead of the standard white with blue writing. This is a very special honor for Cast Members. It means that they have been nominated, not only by guests, but by their coworkers for providing the greatest standards of service and care in Disney. My fiance is a Cast Member and this is his personal goal :)

It's a pretty big deal and an even bigger deal that you got to experience this level of service first hand -- it's a very rare award! Good to know his level of job dedication has paid off! :)

Just found your review and reading through. Boy are you making me hungry! :)

I haven't gotten past your Plaza review yet but I wanted to let you know about Chef Ken.

While I certainly don't know him personally, I noticed in one of your pictures that his name tag is blue with white writing, instead of the standard white with blue writing. This is a very special honor for Cast Members. It means that they have been nominated, not only by guests, but by their coworkers for providing the greatest standards of service and care in Disney. My fiance is a Cast Member and this is his personal goal :)

It's a pretty big deal and an even bigger deal that you got to experience this level of service first hand -- it's a very rare award! Good to know his level of job dedication has paid off! :)

Thank you so much for sharing this information with me. I have never looked to see the color of the writing and background on a CM's nametag. Now Eric and I REALLY feel lucky to have had Chef Ken take care of us! :goodvibes I hope your fiance gets there too! :)

plaza looks wonderful and just our type of food, so I had to make a reservation..:)

Oh, if you are into sandwiches and such, then Plaza is definitely for you. We love all kinds of food, but that includes the basics like sandwiches, salads and burgers! But we do like good quality food, and Plaza is the place for that, for sure. You will love it! :thumbsup2

Loving the trip report, I'm still in the via Napoli review. I'm from Italy, I live near the Slovenian border, also way up north. Love to know we are from "near" places, I think Vienna is a 4 hours drive from here!
Saluti!

Just read through all 12 pages of your review and I have loved every second of it! Really helping me figure out where I want to eat for our first trip to the world in Oct. 2013, Thank you!

Hi Bonnie! I'm getting caught up with your DR.... there are so many things that caught my eye like the veggie sandwich at the Plaza Restaurant. If I had known it was that awesome looking I would definitely have ordered that last week. Also, I really, really need to book Biergarten since I owe my DH a lunch there. What's not to love.... German food, beer, and live entertainment! (Do they have the band for lunch?? Not sure. :confused3)

I agree with you about the Cali Grill pork tenderloin dish - the polenta and zinfandel reduction is wayyyy to salty.

Loving your reviews! We will be eating dinner @ Biergarten on our upcoming trip and I am glad we are! I am looking forward to your Chef Mickey's breakfast review!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter