WDW during March Break - help!

ilovetotravel1977

DIS Veteran
So a friend of mine is just starting her family's (6 people) trip to WDW March Break week (March 13-17).

Does anyone know if there are any package deals out of YHZ for that week? Flights are around $700-$900!

I'm trying to help her research, but I'm afraid she might be paying through the nose due to time they are choosing to go.

I was playing around with Jetblue the other day and they had some really cheap flights out of Boston for that week. If they're up to driving they might be able to save some $.

I don't think there is much avoiding it that time of year. I stalked flights for months before buying ours in November. $3600 for the four of us flying out of Toronto at March Break, which makes me want to puke. Of course, I only wanted direct flights to save time and agony. We paid peanuts the last time we went during the off season.

Agree with the others. Unless they are willing to drive to a cheaper U.S. airport, or fly on off days they are going to be out of luck. If they are willing to leave on the Tuesday and come back a few days after break is over they may find cheaper flights. I noticed the outrageous ones are on the weekends, but they drop on those off days.

The best I could find for her is through sunwing, they have flights that leave Fridays and are buy one, get one 50% off. It's better than nothing.

Unfortunately their break aligns with the English Public board in Ontario this year. That's probably 80% of the school aged kids in the largest province. If it was offset from Ontario, I would suggest flying domestic short hop to another Canadian or US city and then catching a cheap flight. But when Ontario is out, nothing is cheap.

I get jealous of Quebec because they generally go a week or two before Ontario, and before things start really picking up in Orlando.

Can I suggest your friend talk with a travel agent. Not to say you aren't thorough, but sometimes they know of deals that we lay people don't easily find. It can't hurt.

I don't think there is much avoiding it that time of year. I stalked flights for months before buying ours in November. $3600 for the four of us flying out of Toronto at March Break, which makes me want to puke. Of course, I only wanted direct flights to save time and agony. We paid peanuts the last time we went during the off season.

Ouch. Just be careful about paying a premium for direct flights. My direct March Break flight (YOW -> MCO) was cancelled last week, so now we're flying through Toronto. Yuck. I guess the original itinerary was just too good (for us) to be true.

The airlines will rebook you on pretty much whatever itinerary you want when this happens, but if there's no direct flight, there's no direct flight. Probably somewhat less likely when flying out of Toronto, and if the prices are that high it's not very likely that the flight will be cancelled due to underbooking. But it *can* happen, so just something to keep in mind when looking at prices.

She went to the Maritime Travel vacation show this weekend and she talked to one guy who she said was not helpful. Gave her a quote of $1700 pp but I am not sure what that included.

Anyways, you are right. She needs to talk to an agent. I can only help her so much.

Ouch. Just be careful about paying a premium for direct flights. My direct March Break flight (YOW -> MCO) was cancelled last week, so now we're flying through Toronto. Yuck. I guess the original itinerary was just too good (for us) to be true.

The airlines will rebook you on pretty much whatever itinerary you want when this happens, but if there's no direct flight, there's no direct flight. Probably somewhat less likely when flying out of Toronto, and if the prices are that high it's not very likely that the flight will be cancelled due to underbooking. But it *can* happen, so just something to keep in mind when looking at prices.

Which airline was your cancelled flight with? I'm flying again in May and am now concerned that I will need to be keeping a closer eye on things. I would have imagined that a direct flight from Ottawa was a sure thing at March Break especially.

Which airline was your cancelled flight with? I'm flying again in May and am now concerned that I will need to be keeping a closer eye on things. I would have imagined that a direct flight from Ottawa was a sure thing at March Break especially.

WestJet. For what it's worth, while the flight was during March Break, we're not exactly travelling at peak time. My kids get two weeks off (independent school, they get the regular March Break week plus the week after), so we are flying out on Wendesday.

Toronto was the only (reasonable) option, though we did have a choice of morning or evening. No direct flights on WestJet out of Ottawa OR Montreal on Tuesday or Wednesday that week.

Thanks for the updated info. Last fall Air Canada moved our flights by 24hrs about 4 months before our flight. That wouldn't have been an issue but I had booked on AM and they didn't notify us of the change. It all worked out in the end but now I'm a little paranoid about flight changes.

I'm currently in the process of booking March Break for us. I've gone the last two years in a row and didn't think that it would be possible this year due to work commitments. The last two years I arranged everything in August/September and it was affordable. Since I only decided last week that I was going to try and make this happen everything affordable is already booked. There is almost nothing left room wise at the WDW resorts unless you want to pay upwards of $250 USD/night. We are traveling off the actual dates of the break which does help with airfare for sure but the room is the problem. Then the exchange rate :faint:

BTW, it's the local Florida state break week as well which is partially why it's so busy. There are also a ton of band and cheer competitions during the month of March which fills the value resorts to capacity.

I get jealous of Quebec because they generally go a week or two before Ontario, and before things start really picking up in Orlando.

This year our Spring break is the week of March 6. Flying to Orlando costs a fortune from YUL that week but we drive so it's awesome since it's usually not crowded at WDW that week.

OP, 700-800$ during local Spring break sounds normal. Will be difficult to get a better deal imo unless they are willing to drive to the USA. She might have difficulty finding an hotel deal too for that week since the promotion for March has been out for a while...

Yes, and I looked at the resorts all they are all booked up for that week. At least at the value and some of the cheaper moderate resorts. I figure she will be better off staying in a house as there is 6 people going. But then they have to rent two vehicles.

I almost died when she said she thought she could plan the trip in three months for the week of March Break. I told her I've been planning ours since the summer for January 2018 LOL

This year our Spring break is the week of March 6. Flying to Orlando costs a fortune from YUL that week but we drive so it's awesome since it's usually not crowded at WDW that week.

OP, 700-800$ during local Spring break sounds normal. Will be difficult to get a better deal imo unless they are willing to drive to the USA. She might have difficulty finding an hotel deal too for that week since the promotion for March has been out for a while...

This is kind of what I was suggesting they could look at. On March break local flights to sun destinations are generally pretty pricing. Domestic or short haul US flights don't go up as much. So it could be worth considering connecting from say YHZ to YUL (or JFK or LGA) where it is not March break and getting a cheaper flight from there.

We have been driving a few years as well now; $300 fuel vs $3000 air transportation costs for the family is significant saving. Back when we were flying, we drove to Montreal a couple of times from Ottawa because the flights were significantly cheaper than YOW or YYZ, because les Motrealois were all back in school having finished their break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter