WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does this line differ for others?

It doesn't. It was merely an example I was using to infer that I'm not looking for better access. I'll wait 90+ minutes whatever it is for the headliners. I just can't do it in the same manner that everyone else can given my disability. I can't stand or sit crowded in one spot (and before you come back and say its not one spot you move, its not enough movement).

The "fill in all available space" wasn't in reference to TSM either, just a general statement. Standing still in long lines for a long period of time plus the sky way bridge make this ride inacessible to me without additional accomodations.

It doesn't. It was merely an example I was using to infer that I'm not looking for better access. I'll wait 90+ minutes whatever it is for the headliners. I just can't do it in the same manner that everyone else can given my disability. I can't stand or sit crowded in one spot (and before you come back and say its not one spot you move, its not enough movement).

The "fill in all available space" wasn't in reference to TSM either, just a general statement. Standing still in long lines for a long period of time plus the sky way bridge make this ride inacessible to me without additional accomodations.

IMHO after reading your responses that is what you need to explain to the GR CM after they give their suggestions. Give the examples of rides where you know you have problems. Just calmly and politely explain why those suggestions won't work and why the DAS will help you. Remember that being polite often makes people want to help you more. I know for myself the second someone begins an attitude or begins to yell I will not go out of my way to help them.

Now the DAS won't help with getting those alternative entrances like at Haunted Manision. You would still need to ask at the attraction and explain the "herding" and dark space issues.

So what will help you? I am not understanding. Even with a DAS you may still be in line in one place. In theory if you have a FP with a return time, you would be waiting somewhere and then return to the FP line right? Will that work?

So what will help you? I am not understanding. Even with a DAS you may still be in line in one place. In theory if you have a FP with a return time, you would be waiting somewhere and then return to the FP line right? Will that work?

That is the exact accommodation I need. As long as we qualify for a DAS, I'll be fine. It wasn't the immediate access of the GAC that was the most helpful, it was being able to move through the fast pass queue which is often a more continuous pace line or short durations of standing in place and the specificity that we could use alternative entrances even though we didn't have wheelchairs in our party.

I know it will take some time to get used to the new system and I think honestly if we could schedule all of our day with FP plus, this would be a non issue. FP+ is becoming even less of a solution as they roll out the tier levels and we have to choose which headliner we won't get to do. Overall, the type of accommodation that FP allows (even if we have to wait the return time before being allowed to enter) is what we need, quick moving queue to load the right without being sedentary or stationary for too long. I just wanted to make sure that I can communicate that directly in an effective manner with the CM. It sounds like the most common question is what accommodations do you need so my hope is that in explaining that we can't sit nor stand for long periods without being able to move will allow us to get the accommodations we need. It's extremely frustrating with so many changes already going on with FP+ and MDE and the Magic Bands that having to worry about this too is a little much. I know it happens, it's life and it's Disney for you. However, knowing what it is about my disability that I need to communicate will be a huge weight lifted.

I know it will take some time to get used to the new system and I think honestly if we could schedule all of our day with FP plus, this would be a non issue. FP+ is becoming even less of a solution as they roll out the tier levels and we have to choose which headliner we won't get to do.

That gives you equal access - lots of people are going to have to choose which headliner they will not do with the tiered FP+. Actually, it's equal lack of access, as so many people are going to be missing out on attractions when full tiering occurs.

That gives you equal access - lots of people are going to have to choose which headliner they will not do with the tiered FP+. Actually, it's equal lack of access, as so many people are going to be missing out on attractions when full tiering occurs.
For most people, if they choose not to go standby on a headliner, that is their choice, because they were capable of doing it. The whole existence of DAS is because there are people who are not capable of this.

For most people, if they choose not to go standby on a headliner, that is their choice, because they were capable of doing it. The whole existence of DAS is because there are people who are not capable of this.

The whole existence of the DAS is so that people that can't wait in the standby line can still do the rides, just by waiting elsewhere.

A DAS doesn't, or at least shouldn't, shorten the wait.

It was not busy when we were at both those attractions.
We had FP + for Spaceship Earth, but we could see the FP + went next to the regular entrance! which is nor accessible. So, we just went to the exit, which has always been the only accessible entrance. We did. It show DD's DAS card. As before, they had a clipboard for writing down the groups as they came.

We rode Small World twice with a wheelchair on this trip and had minimal waits each time (15-20 minutes posted Standby waits). We entered the wheelchair area and saw ONLY groups using mobility devices in that line.
I don't know if that was coincidence or not; previously, even with short posted waits, the wait in that line was often way longer than the wait in the regular line and half or more of the groups didn't have a mobility device.

Thanks Sue. It sounds as though having a DAS or FP+ time for those attractions doesn't actually make a difference in how long you wait but that the wait times shouldn't be nearly as long as they used to be because those without mobility needs are no longer using those lines (now using the FP+ lines). It does stink though that if the wait for the accessible entrance is really long and you show up with FP+ that you don't get put in a separate, shorter queue (ex. maybe at the top of the clipboard at SE) since that's pretty much how the regular/FP+ queues work for those without mobility issues.

Okay... so where do we get the stamp for the attraction? Do we go to the attraction, or some fast pass + kiosk??

If someone could explain, would be appreciated. Am little overwhelmed as it is trying to figure out the whole FP+ and MBs and on and on...

Basically all the rides we would be using DAS for my son would be things that do have FP+.. so does that mean we have to go to the kiosk for that? Buzz, Toy Story, Pooh, Tomorrowland Speedway, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Little Mermaid and Peter Pan - yeah, I think that pretty much is the only rides he goes on.
Anyway... where to go for stamp?

thanks so much in advance for any response, much appreciated. :)

Okay... so where do we get the stamp for the attraction? Do we go to the attraction, or some fast pass + kiosk??

If someone could explain, would be appreciated. Am little overwhelmed as it is trying to figure out the whole FP+ and MBs and on and on...

Basically all the rides we would be using DAS for my son would be things that do have FP+.. so does that mean we have to go to the kiosk for that? Buzz, Toy Story, Pooh, Tomorrowland Speedway, Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Little Mermaid and Peter Pan - yeah, I think that pretty much is the only rides he goes on.

There is not a stamp. You go to the attraction to get assigned a return time. A CM will write on the DAS the return time (similar to FP). At WDW there are not kiosks, you go to the actual ride.

thanks... didn't mean to say stamp.. .'return time', you're right. So just straight to whichever attraction then? thank you.

At WDW, there are no kiosks. You get the return time at the attraction.

It's going to usually be a CM with a clipboard standing somewhere around the entrance to the queue. If it's busy, it will usually be a separate person. If it's not busy, it may be the CM at the Fastpass or Standby entrance.
If you don't see anyone, just ask the first CM you see and they will direct you where to go.

The person the DAS was issued to does NOT need to be at the attraction to get the Return Time, so someone else can take the DAS to the attraction to get a Return Time. The person the DAS was issued yo must be there to go on the attraction though.

If you haven't read the first post on this thread, I would recommend reading it. The first post is a DAS FAQs thread and should answer most of your questions.

I needed a bit of practical advice with both FP+ and the new system. My apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place. My question is this. We got selected to do the FP+, I know most onsite people are. My son is in a WC and at its strictest, we probably don't qualify for a DAS. I'm starting to put together our FP+'s. We love Spaceship Earth and would always go through the side entrance, wait in the WC area, sometimes it's busy, sometimes it's not. We carry my son onto the ride and then off when done. It's one of the few rides, we'll do this on (carry my son on as opposed to a WAV vehicle ride) just because it is a "Happy Place" ride for my family. Would our loading be the same under the new DAS policy or would we get a return time card? I'm trying to figure out if we should use a FP+ for this or if we would be okay with what used to be the regular WC boarding.

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

I needed a bit of practical advice with both FP+ and the new system. My apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place. My question is this. We got selected to do the FP+, I know most onsite people are. My son is in a WC and at its strictest, we probably don't qualify for a DAS. I'm starting to put together our FP+'s. We love Spaceship Earth and would always go through the side entrance, wait in the WC area, sometimes it's busy, sometimes it's not. We carry my son onto the ride and then off when done. It's one of the few rides, we'll do this on (carry my son on as opposed to a WAV vehicle ride) just because it is a "Happy Place" ride for my family. Would our loading be the same under the new DAS policy or would we get a return time card? I'm trying to figure out if we should use a FP+ for this or if we would be okay with what used to be the regular WC boarding.

It's been almost a month since we rode Spaceship Earth, but then it was still the same. First come first serve through the accessible entrance. There is signage as to where to enter, same place as before. They were not giving priority to those with FP+ or return times at this entrance when we rode last.

The same thing with jungle cruise at MK. We had a return time and were placed in the accessible queue in order of arrival not based on return times. (Last time we rode was Veterans Day.)

Don't waste a FP+ on Spaceship Earth it's still as Sue said for both of those rides. I got a FP+ for Spaceship Earth just because it's one if my son's favorites as well and I wanted to make sure he got to do it. The CM basically told me to change it as soon as they talked to me to get us set up in line. Now they were willing to give us a return time but the line was really short.

Our experience with DAS for mid-November trip to WDW is that it was not as accomodating as before but when combined with FP+, it was not bad:

1. Had magic bands and FP+ for Nov 8-18. DD is Down Syndrome (now an adult), ambulatory but significantly mentally challenged with some heart issues. Picked up DAS at Studios. Huge line at Guest Services (that proved true almost everywhere at all the parks and one of the main reasons was a large number of guests having problems with their Magic Bands). Fortunately, there was a roaming CM who came up to us and asked if we were seeking DAS and took us out of line, took picture and produced the DAS, so not much time to get it. There were no disability or ambulatory questions asked possibly because ours was obvious but also saw another who had no obvious appearance of a disability, parent informed CM that child was ADD and no further questions were asked and DAS provided. DAS was issued for 14 days to all regardless of how long they were staying (whether less or more than 14 days). You can get another after one expires or if you lose yours. There are a very large number of lines on the back for entries and thus you would really need to do an enormous number of rides to ever fill it completely. The DAS folds like a little book (you can fold it more if desired) and fits easily in a pocket.

2. People in wheel chairs did not need or get DAS. The system as it was before DAS was simply the same for them with either a special accessible line or they go through Fastpass line.

3. To get return time, we went to ride's fastpass line entry (or even stand-by line) and one of the CMs filled in the ride's identity and a return time on the back of the DAS. The return time was the time shown for the stand-by line minus 15 minutes. Thus, if stand-by line was in fact 15 minutes or less, they let you in via fastpass line immediately. We could return any time after the return time given as long as it was the same day. When we returned, we went through FP line and CM at entry crossed out the ride and return time on the DAS. Once crossed out, you can get another return time for a ride.

4. We did not need to get return time for stage type shows such as Mermaid, Philarmagic, Lion King, Nemo, Beast, Disney Junior. Those are done like before where you can enter as part of the disability or fastpass line without getting a return time. If you are also doing FP+ remember that so that you do not waste your FP+ selections on those attractions.

5. We had FP+ set up on My Disney Experience on-line for the Magic Bands for three key rides a day; those actually worked. That allowed us to get a DAS return time at others and then head for one with FP+ and then come back to one on DAS.

Is there a list of attractions where people with mobility issues (ecv, wheelchair, can't do stairs, etc) can't go in the FP+ queue? I'd like to be able to plan for which attractions I won't be able to use FP+ or a DAS?

Here's what I've got right now. Some of these I'm not sure about with the addition of the FP+ queues since I don't know if those queues are accessible or not. I'm not sure if I'm missing others from the list.

Magic Kingdom
Dumbo (the FAQ still shows this as having an alternate entrance; is it now accessible?)
Jungle Cruise
Peter Pan (will the new FP queue be accessible?)
It's a Small World

Epcot
Living With the Land
Spaceship Earth
The Seas with Nemo and Friends (the new FP+ queue is accessible, correct?)
Turtle Talk with Crush (there used to be a separate entrance for wheelchairs, is it still there? even with this area, is FP+ honored if you show up later just like for people without mobility devices?)

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not seeing anything in DHS or AK that has a FP/FP+ queue where people with mobility needs are directed elsewhere.

How does it work for shows that have limited accessible seating? What about for people who can transfer and park their chair outside?

Is there a list of attractions where people with mobility issues (ecv, wheelchair, can't do stairs, etc) can't go in the FP+ queue? I'd like to be able to plan for which attractions I won't be able to use FP+ or a DAS?

Here's what I've got right now. Some of these I'm not sure about with the addition of the FP+ queues since I don't know if those queues are accessible or not. I'm not sure if I'm missing others from the list.

Magic Kingdom
Dumbo (the FAQ still shows this as having an alternate entrance; is it now accessible?)
Jungle Cruise
Peter Pan (will the new FP queue be accessible?)
It's a Small World

Epcot
Living With the Land
Spaceship Earth
The Seas with Nemo and Friends (the new FP+ queue is accessible, correct?)
Turtle Talk with Crush (there used to be a separate entrance for wheelchairs, is it still there? even with this area, is FP+ honored if you show up later just like for people without mobility devices?)

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not seeing anything in DHS or AK that has a FP/FP+ queue where people with mobility needs are directed elsewhere.

How does it work for shows that have limited accessible seating? What about for people who can transfer and park their chair outside?

Dumbo is fully accessible.

Jungle Cruise is not, sent to a queue near the exit. It splits to two queues. One on right is for rope boat that can transfer from w/c. One on left is for ropeboat that can't transfer.

Peter Pan is under refurbishment presently. Will have to wait to see if there are changes.

POTC is fully accessible both standby and FP. Only difference is at the exit. At least for those who can transfer.

It's a small world w/c entry is separate. Enter near Pinocchio Haus. I was told to let ourselves in the first gate and wait at the roped off area. And we waited and waited with nobody ahead of us until a cm came.

Living with the Land, FP+ queue is the old w/c queue.

Spaceship Earth, w/c entry same as before

Nemo, FP queue and standby are fully accessible. You go into an additional queue near boarding.

Sorry, I don't know about Turtle Talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter