WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if it's been addressed, but I have some concerns. I understand you can come BACK to the ride at certain amount of time. However, my concern is for those who are unable to understand that they can't ride at that moment. I think this is going to cause a lot of issues for those with autism, including me. For me, things have to be done now. They can't wait until later or I will have a massive meltdown. I'm also bad with time and so are my parents. I just feel like this would become more of a disaster. I really liked the GAC because you didn't have to worry about coming back to the line when it was shorter. That's my concern/opinion on this.
They can have someone else take their DAS card yo the attraction and get a Return Time for them.
That way they don't have to go up to the attraction and not ride.
They can just go once, when it is time to board.

Schmeck said:
I didn't see it in the first 4 posts (the ones SueM is editing with updated info) but I thought that if the standby wait time is 15 minutes or less, the guest would be sent in the stand by queue.

But *I* would have a problem with being sent to the standy by queue... I'd rather have a return time.
The reason I will have a DAS is because it is not "suitable" or "safe" (in my best interest) for me to be in the standby queue and those are "rough approximations." Sometimes they are more accurate than other times. And I have known MANY times where those times have been off....WAY OFF...and not in the guests' favor. ;)

Just an update...I went to gr at the gateway entrance in Epcot without my son this morning asking about a das for myself explaining that I have an autoimmune disease (lupus) and due to the died effects of my meds it effects my stomach requiring me to access a bathroom at short notice. Also the the dun exposure causes a bad reaction. I was told to use fastpasses. After my son arrive in Epcot later with my husband we went to gr close to the main entrance ..agin explaining my son has ADHD and has diifficulty standing in long longs without becoming overwhelmed ...I was again told yo utilize fastpass. We took our time and managed today but the crowd levels were low. My concern is mk tomorrow. I may attempt another request for the das because I think this park will be more trying for both of us.

Just an update...I went to gr at the gateway entrance in Epcot without my son this morning asking about a das for myself explaining that I have an autoimmune disease (lupus) and due to the died effects of my meds it effects my stomach requiring me to access a bathroom at short notice. Also the the dun exposure causes a bad reaction. I was told to use fastpasses. After my son arrive in Epcot later with my husband we went to gr close to the main entrance ..agin explaining my son has ADHD and has diifficulty standing in long longs without becoming overwhelmed ...I was again told yo utilize fastpass. We took our time and managed today but the crowd levels were low. My concern is mk tomorrow. I may attempt another request for the das because I think this park will be more trying for both of us.

I would have said, what about Test Track, when FP is gone by 10am? This would make me so angry! I hope we don't run into this during our trip next week!

They can have someone else take their DAS card yo the attraction and get a Return Time for them.

There are only 2 in our party, DD and myself. I hope there is another solution. I'll find out in January.

But *I* would have a problem with being sent to the standy by queue... I'd rather have a return time.
The reason I will have a DAS is because it is not "suitable" or "safe" (in my best interest) for me to be in the standby queue and those are "rough approximations." Sometimes they are more accurate than other times. And I have known MANY times where those times have been off....WAY OFF...and not in the guests' favor. ;)

But that can happen in the FP queue as well, and most times the FP queue goes parallel to the standby queue.

Went to mk today and after explaining that we were not able yo get fast pass for test track I was told that was my best option in mk. So sad ...this trip is exhausting me and I'm tired of the staring when my son is unable to remain calm online. It be just me having issues I'm sure.

Schmeck said:
But that can happen in the FP queue as well, and most times the FP queue goes parallel to the standby queue.

I am not interested in arguing this point...but IMO the standby queue and FP queue are not 'always' equal in length. And in "my" experience (and I spent a TON of time at WDW this year!) I never saw the FP queue have anywhere close to the same volume of people as the standby queue. Not saying it "couldn't" happen but much more likely to encounter the larger volumes of people in standby. This is a case of you see to your needs your way, and I'll see to my needs mine (and if I don't feel my needs are being met appropriately, I'll speak with a supervisor and they can assist with the situation and decide how to proceed.) I will not put myself at risk. :)

The official rule is that if the wait time is 10 minutes or less, the guest will be sent directly to the appropriate queue, which is most likely not the stand by queue, as there may be reasons that the standby queue doesn't work for the individual, regardless of the length of wait. This is what is written on the Disney site that is SueMN has previously linked to.

It has been reported on here that some CMs are allowing people straight in when the line is a 15 minute wait or so, not seeing the point of making someone wait 5 minutes. But that is up to the CM.

My experience is in DL, not WDW, but I have been told to use the stand-by queue for a 10 minute wait, and when I told the CM that it was not safe for me (and explained why, which meant explaining my medical needs all over again at the attraction despite having a DAS in hand), I was told that I would have to go get a time for "NOW" to be allowed to use the FP queue (which was also a hill, but one without people, so I would do the wheeling all at once, then wait at the top).

This seems to be a point of confusion on both coasts, and seems to vary depending on the CM working the attraction. Even Guest Relations did not seem to understand that it would be a problem for some people to wait in the stand-by queue even 10 minutes - that is may be the physical queue that is the problem and not the wait time. It does not matter to me whether the queue for that attraction is 5 or 55 minutes - I cannot physically do it.

I think this is a learning point, as so much of the focus has been "wait time." Sometimes there seems to be a CMs understanding that "waiting place" may be just as big or an even bigger issue. This is something that, on both coasts, polite but detailed feedback to Guest Relations (make sure they are actually going to submit a report on it, that it is feedback for all future visits and not a complaint that a re-admit pass will fix) will help.

The person I spoke with at Guest Relations had never considered why waiting for the Aladdin show would be a problem. It has 4 fixed show times a day, and therefore no "wait time" to write on a DAS. And when I asked "what do I do for the show" - no one had an answer. I did insist that she make sure her supervisor send it up the chain, so that an answer can be decided for the future, not just for me but for others who want to see the Aladdin show with a DAS who cannot use the regular queue.

Basically, Disney cannot fix it until they know of an issue. In this case, they need to have an answer they can give to Attractions CMs when a guest arrives with a 10 minute wait time and cannot use the stand-by queue.

Since this is a major issue, apparently on both coasts (with GS telling people one thing, and Attractions doing another), I very much hope they have an answer quickly - both for the guests and the CMs' sakes!

I am sorry you are having such a rough time of it.

My biggest suggestion is this: simplify and restrict your phrasing to what will happen in the lines. While it is true that too much sun exposure can cause a lupus flare, thereby accelerating the damage the disease does to your body, this is not something a CM may see as directly relating to the waiting in a queue.

Anything stamina or mobility related and you will be directed to rent a wheelchair or scooter, which may or may not be helpful in your case.

I would not try to explain both your needs and your son's at the same time - the DAS is person specific and has a photo of the person it belongs to. While you may both ride the same rides, the CM needs to know the needs of the person is belongs to only.

So think about what can happen in a line that is unsafe or impossible to deal with. Think about your safety, your son's, and the safety of other guests in the queue. I would ask again about a DAS for one or both of you - and if you do not get a satisfying reason why you are being denied, ask for a supervisor.

CMs are trained in how to give these out, and their entire focus is about the queues (for good or bad, this is the case) - not what happens on the ride or elsewhere in the park or your life. They need to know exactly why you/your son cannot wait in the mainstream queue. And focus your answers to the queue - this is the best advice I can give when asking for a DAS.

'Show wait' is less of an issue at WDW than at DL, I think.
Many of the WDW shows do have a separated area of the queue for guests with mobility devices and have used them in the past with guests with other special needs.
Part of this is because they have limited numbers of wheelchair spots for each show, so they need to have a count of those who are needing those spots.
Also WDW is setting up the shows for Fastpass Plus, so there is opportunity/mechanism to have a DAS Return Time.

And, at WDW, since most attractions have Fastpass or Fastpass Plus, that is the access point that people are being sent into in most cases with a DAS Return Time.
We are at WDW now and have experienced some 'go right in' for 15 minute posted wait times. I don't think it is totally random. It appears CMs issuing times can make a decision based on what is going on at the ride. We have gotten 10 minute Return Times for attractions with 20 minute waits.

We have noticed more of the red 'timing cards' being given out then usual and we have gotten one for an attraction where guests using mobility devices usually have an extra wait. I have also been asked several times how things seem to be going when I have either gotten a return time for DD or we had come back to use our Return Time.

I think considering the new program has been in effect less than a month, it is going fairly well and they are really trying to figure out what is an issue and what they might do to help with that issue.

It might actually be better not to say his is specifically for ADHD. Not that its right, but it's a condition people roll their eyes at as a disability- likely from the past 20 years when it became the big stereotype of what people say to justify anything their kid does.
I have a child with an adhd diagnosis. I know its real and I am not saying I think its silly, but if you are saying he has adhd the CM might be less inclined to really listen to the rest of what you say.

I am not interested in arguing this point...but IMO the standby queue and FP queue are not 'always' equal in length. And in "my" experience (and I spent a TON of time at WDW this year!) I never saw the FP queue have anywhere close to the same volume of people as the standby queue. Not saying it "couldn't" happen but much more likely to encounter the larger volumes of people in standby. This is a case of you see to your needs your way, and I'll see to my needs mine (and if I don't feel my needs are being met appropriately, I'll speak with a supervisor and they can assist with the situation and decide how to proceed.) I will not put myself at risk. :)

Not sure when you are going but we were there two weeks ago and the FP line was a wait in any attraction we went in of at least 10 min. Now, I'm not complaining on that as it was better then the stand by but it was still a wait. I had never seen it like that before and it was surprising. We had a FP to Pooh and the wait was 15 min. We had a DAS pass to Haunted Mansion and it was over 15 min. Soaring was 20 min wait in the FP line. At the Toy Story ride in DHS it was at the CM outside. FP lines were out of control and I wonder if it has to do with FP+. Either way, not arguing either, but there might very well be a 10 min wait or more in FP depending on when you are going.

Not sure when you are going but we were there two weeks ago and the FP line was a wait in any attraction we went in of at least 10 min. Now, I'm not complaining on that as it was better then the stand by but it was still a wait. I had never seen it like that before and it was surprising. We had a FP to Pooh and the wait was 15 min. We had a DAS pass to Haunted Mansion and it was over 15 min. Soaring was 20 min wait in the FP line. At the Toy Story ride in DHS it was at the CM outside. FP lines were out of control and I wonder if it has to do with FP+. Either way, not arguing either, but there might very well be a 10 min wait or more in FP depending on when you are going.
That is really very similar to our waits in the Fastpass Line over the years.

What we have seen on this trip (we are here now) is some technical issues and some issues with guest boarding that slowed things down more than usual (like guests debating at boarding which of their group will ride together in the same row).
We were in the unload area waiting for a wheelchair car at Buzz Lightyear for 2 complete ride cycles, so got a chance to watch quite a bit.
There were 2 cars broken on Buzz Lightyear with covers over the controls - that means 2 less cars of people for each cycle. There was also a ride technician working on Buzz and those 2 broken cars seemed to need a push to turn them at the final approach to the unload area. During the ride, we had at least 4 stops of 30 seconds each (probably for those 'uncooperative ride cars').

The original information about Fastpass was that the waits in the Fastpass line would usually not be longer than 15 minutes. Because the Fastpass return is a window of time, it's possible to get some ' bumps' where guests are still in their window, but not coming consistently to keep the line flooding steadily.
I personally would consider anything 15 minutes or less in the Fastpass Line to be the expected wait. We expect that some attractions that load in batches (like Soarin') to possibly be as long as 20 minutes in the Fastpass Line.

Almost every attraction return should fit into those expectations.

We were there beginning of October and a lot of times we have 5-10 min waits in the FP line. Didn't think that was bad compared to the stand by. My cousins family had been as seaworld and universal using the GKTW button and she kept asking if we were sure we were in the FP lines because she had no waits at those parks.

What do you do in other situations to help him cope?

Those same things will help in WDW. Even if you do get a DAS for either you or him, it is not an immediate 'we go up to attraction and we get in immediately'
type of thing.

DAS holders (or someone in their party) at WDW take the DAS card to an attraction they want to go on and get a Return Time that is equal to 10 minutes less than the current standby swift time.
So, you will need to wait somewhere for that amount of time.

After the a Return Time has passed, you bring the DAS card back to the attraction and will be sent in to an appropriate entrance. This will usually be the Fastpass line, so will not be immediate access either. The wait there could be 5-20 minutes.
So you still need to be prepared for waits.

I am going to move this thread into the WDW DAS thread since we are trying to keep most of the DAS discussion there.

We were there beginning of October and a lot of times we have 5-10 min waits in the FP line. Didn't think that was bad compared to the stand by. My cousins family had been as seaworld and universal using the GKTW button and she kept asking if we were sure we were in the FP lines because she had no waits at those parks.
Guest with GKTW buttons are often moved ahead of all guests (even others with disabilities), so I would expect them to have shorter waits.

Definitions of cognitive disability vary but are generally broad and include difficulties with mental tasks and/or processing.
What I'm trying to say is, those with Cognitive issues aren't going to understand that. Even if you were to wait at a distance while mom or dad or whoever went up to the ride to get a return time, they aren't going to get that. They are still going to think that they are going on the ride now. You can't explain to them otherwise. I also found this in a mom blog that someone had written:
Think DAS is a good plan for families with special needs children? Think again. Children with special needs don’t always have the cognitive and/or verbal abilities to understand wait or return times, and can be sensitive to sensory stimuli, heat/humidity, loud and unpredictable noises, parades, fireworks, bands and horse-pulled trolleys in the middle of streets, which can culminate in epic meltdowns. (Of course, there will always be the guests who stare at “our” children as they melt down with whispers, disapproving glares, and disgust — the exact type of judgmental behavior parents took a vacation to escape from in the first place.) My family once rode the “It’s a Small World” ride three times in a row, because Ethan started to become overwhelmed, and the ride calmed him. We can’t do that now with the new system.
People with these kind of issues, who were once able to enjoy this place... aren't going to have as good as a time as they used to. You have to remember that Disney parks are overstimulating enough for someone with a disability. Why add on to the stress of making them wait, especially when they don't understand the concept of having to come back later?

Hi this will be our 5th trip to disney since our son was diagnosed with ADHD. Two years ago we had the gac and it did help us tremendously. He has difficult inn standing on any type of lines without getting stressed...even when we food shop. It becomes so hard to keep him from becoming handsy with me . Not hitting but pulling and touching. Unfortunately I have lupus and I have joint issues. Here's my question...since the new das has been implemented I was wondering if I should request the pass. Although my lupus is controlled either steroids the gac helped us both. There is no need for the both of us getting a card since we go on the same rides. We are leaving next Wednesday and staying until the following Tuesday so the parks aren't yo busy. We pulled him out of school to help with the crowd levels. Any information is appreciated.

I have a suggestion that sometimes helps our son while waiting to not be quite so handsy. We've tried portable devices but he usually still can have one hand free with those. We often give him two small toys, one for each hand, which are too large to transfer to just one hand. This helps with grabbing and pulling. If he's not interested in the toys and there's more of an issue going on we have him keep his hands in his pockets. These probably wouldn't work if there's impulsivity, tics or aggressiveness, which you didn't mention as being issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter