WDW Commando Club

The last few weeks have certainly been a nightmare roller coaster of planning, with all the permanent closures around WDW, 1st there was the shows at Epcot, World Showcase Players, Off Killter, MoRockin' & Fife & Drum, to The Maelstrom in Norway closing the 5th of Oct, Most of the Frozen stuff at HS and now the 28th will be the last day for Studio Backlot Tour:crazy2:

It seems like everyday I've been tweaking our plans to see these classics for the last time:sad:

I do predict that in the beginning of the New Year that a lot more will be closing at HS, Like from the Cars M&G all the way around to The Backlot tours area, this would include, Streets of NY, Light Motors Action, Honey I Shrunk The Kids Playground:scratching, although sad it does leave room for a rebirth of HS (as of now this is my least favorite park), with a rumored Carsland and Star Wars expansion:yay:

As far as Epcot, I have mixed feelings, I like The Maelstrom, and the shows the are canceling, I hope these shows that they are replacing them with are just as good but I have my doubts:confused3

For the Frozen ride IMO the old Odyssey Restaurant would have been a better pick they could make glaciers around it and have a lot more possibilities or even the Captain EO building that's a nice big area:confused3

But nobody asked us so what do the guests know:confused3

I came up with 4 character restaurants with names that would all probably be on the top 5 list, that are not catered to just girls or the really young but to the whole family no mater what age or gender:thumbsup2

Trip is now down to the wire:cool1: Now it's time for me to really pay attention to Dis news & rumors for something that could be missed:confused3

Little Black book is ready to go, this contains day to day plans, list of all rides, shows with times, M&G's, MNSSHP info including M&G spots, Candy locations, & all show times

Also has the locations of all the Magic Band Kiosks in the parks, along with Transportation notes for getting from to park to park:thumbsup2

This time we have a list of what Kiosks at the Food & Wine feast that we want to visit along with what we want to try

This is a 4 day trip with the following park breakdown

- MK - Total of 18.5hrs with 3 visits during trip

- Epcot - 15 hrs Total 4 visits during trip (3 of them are mid afternoon in-between parks got to get the F&W done but don't want to fill up all at once::yes::)

- AK - 7.5 hrs total 2 visits during trip

- HS - 10.5 hrs total 2 visits during trip

- 51.5 Total park hrs

A lot of guests would consider Park Hopping like this totally insane, maybe it is, but after doing this many times I have found timing is everything and a few hour clip at the right time you can get more done then what some guests get done all day

Trying to finalise my park plans at the moment. Only thing I'm not sure of is if the M&G with mike and Sulley will still happen now the backlot tour has finished, does anyone know if they are still meeting?

Trying to finalise my park plans at the moment. Only thing I'm not sure of is if the M&G with mike and Sulley will still happen now the backlot tour has finished, does anyone know if they are still meeting?

That is a Great Question:confused3, They are still listed for this week, but who knows after that:confused3, The only other thing in that area that is to be moved soon is the Frozen gift store that is now in the Hot Set building it will be moving closer to Frozen sing along that is moving to where American Idol was.

In the world of Rumors, TSM will be getting a expansion, & Minnie may be moving out of Animation building and back to Hollywood Blvd:confused3

With that it is possible that Mike and Sully could be moving to the Animation building since there would be a open spot, I guess we will find out in the next couple of weeks:confused3, Way too much moving and closing going on right now I'm not sure they know what's going on with everything yetpopcorn::

Having been to CA with their Carsland, I wonder how they are going to be creating it in HS. Will it be a clone of the one in CA or will it be completely different? I do know the Radiator Springs Racers ride is amazing, and is now one of my fav rides in both parks. If they were to dupilicate it in HS it would be a good way to attract people to HS as it's a really good ride. I know the Carsland in CA is like walking down the movies Main street, everything larger than life. So I'm curious to see what it's going to look like if it's completed by our Jan/17 trip to WDW. I personally think the Frozen overlay on Malestrom stinks royally. As much as I love the movie, I'm for the most part over the hype of the movie. I've also decided to up the ante on my solo trip in Nov/17 by staying at the Paradise Pier hotel, the only Disney hotel I will be able to save enough money to stay at. After many budget trips to DL, we'll be staying at a moderate hotel in WDW, so I can justify staying in the Disney bubble on my solo trip later that year in DL. It sounds like you are more than ready for your trip to WDW Ron. I hope you have an amazing trip!

Trish

Wow I am so glad this thread re-surfaced!!! I've been on other threads and have been too intimated to post (well, I did post a couple of suggestions, but got some snarky replies).

Anyway, I think I'm in-between a heavy and lightweight commando, although my DH says otherwise. We haven't been to Disney in decades!!! In 18 days we will be checking in at POFQ for a nice stay. Yes, I do have days where we are booked from early morning to late evening, however I have planned for days where we can just take our time and explore. My goal is to spend time on the Boardwalk, shop at DTD and take full advantage of EPCOT's Food and Wine expo!! 20 years ago our DSs were young and toured Disney for them. Now we are doing Disney as adults.

I haven't read all of these 250+ pages yet, but I'm planning to put in a good dent before we go!!!

Wow I am so glad this thread re-surfaced!!! I've been on other threads and have been too intimated to post (well, I did post a couple of suggestions, but got some snarky replies).

Anyway, I think I'm in-between a heavy and lightweight commando, although my DH says otherwise. We haven't been to Disney in decades!!! In 18 days we will be checking in at POFQ for a nice stay. Yes, I do have days where we are booked from early morning to late evening, however I have planned for days where we can just take our time and explore. My goal is to spend time on the Boardwalk, shop at DTD and take full advantage of EPCOT's Food and Wine expo!! 20 years ago our DSs were young and toured Disney for them. Now we are doing Disney as adults.

I haven't read all of these 250+ pages yet, but I'm planning to put in a good dent before we go!!!

:welcome: You are member #271:cool1: Since you will be staying at POFQ I strongly suggest using the water taxis to get to DTD, the whole DTD bus stop is way overpacked now that there is only the 1 stop:(

There is a FREE guided tour for the Boardwalk area that gives you some of the history of how they put it together it is called - Boardwalk Ballyhoo Guided Tour , it runs Wed-Sat at 9am, sign ups are 15 prior to tour at the Belle Vue Lounge:thumbsup2 (I have never done this tour but would like to)

:welcome: You are member #271:cool1: Since you will be staying at POFQ I strongly suggest using the water taxis to get to DTD, the whole DTD bus stop is way overpacked now that there is only the 1 stop:(

There is a FREE guided tour for the Boardwalk area that gives you some of the history of how they put it together it is called - Boardwalk Ballyhoo Guided Tour , it runs Wed-Sat at 9am, sign ups are 15 prior to tour at the Belle Vue Lounge:thumbsup2 (I have never done this tour but would like to)

I was definitely taking the water taxi down to DTD. Looking forward to that too. Thanks for the tip about the Boardwalk tour. Will put that on my to do. http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/cloud9.gif

I've got a question for my fellow Commando's. What Disney resorts do you stay at while visiting WDW?? I've convinced DH not to stay at CSR, because I feel there are better value and moderate hotels for cheaper. I'm currently looking at POFQ, POR, or Pop Century. I figure if I can get a cheaper hotel/air package we can go for 8 days instead of 7 days with the savings. I've preordered the latest UOG WDW Colour Companion for 2015 so I should have that by the third week of Oct. While our trip won't be till Jan/17, I'm still overplanning it, and looking for fresh ideas on how to make our only trip to WDW special within a tight budget. Have a great day!

Trish

I've got a question for my fellow Commando's. What Disney resorts do you stay at while visiting WDW?? I've convinced DH not to stay at CSR, because I feel there are better value and moderate hotels for cheaper. I'm currently looking at POFQ, POR, or Pop Century. I figure if I can get a cheaper hotel/air package we can go for 8 days instead of 7 days with the savings. I've preordered the latest UOG WDW Colour Companion for 2015 so I should have that by the third week of Oct. While our trip won't be till Jan/17, I'm still overplanning it, and looking for fresh ideas on how to make our only trip to WDW special within a tight budget. Have a great day!

Trish

We usually stay at POP or All Star Movies, never had any kind of problem at either, considering the amount of time we are actually at the resort it would be a waste of money to stay at a more upscale resort:confused3

2 resorts I would stay away from right now due to construction are All Star Music & Polynesian, in fact I would not recommend O'hanas at this time they have a lot of the waiting area and lobbies all closed off:crazy2:

This trip we were in The Mighty Duck section of All Star Movies, this worked at great we were actually closer to the bus stop at All Star Music, this gave us access to either resorts bus, this was especially time saving on return trips late at night coming back to the resort:woohoo:

Our 1st day we went to AK for the AM EMH, by 8:08 we were getting on line for EE, we got right back on after the ride for a second round, then we went to Dinosaur, when we got off it was 8:50 decided to go over to Safari got on just before park opened:cool1:

When we got off Safari, it was time to start using our FP's our 1st was for EE so we headed back over, when we got off our 2nd one was not ready yet so we did Primevil Whril then did our 2nd FP at Dinosaur, got of went to meet Russell & Dug then headed over to Safari for our 3rd FP, we were heading out of AK around 11:30:worship:

Our 1st day we went to AK for the AM EMH, by 8:08 we were getting on line for EE, we got right back on after the ride for a second round, then we went to Dinosaur, when we got off it was 8:50 decided to go over to Safari got on just before park opened:cool1:

When we got off Safari, it was time to start using our FP's our 1st was for EE so we headed back over, when we got off our 2nd one was not ready yet so we did Primevil Whril then did our 2nd FP at Dinosaur, got of went to meet Russell & Dug then headed over to Safari for our 3rd FP, we were heading out of AK around 11:30:worship:

:worship: well done! That's why you're our commander!

Thanks for the info Ron, I appreciate it. DH and the kids are pool nuts, as for me the Chlorine really really bothers me, even with an antihistamine in me, so I try to avoid swimming alot, even though I love being in the water. I've pretty well decided in either Pop Century or Port Orleans Riverside, with the preference to POR for the bigger rooms and beds. It really depends on what the cost will be when it comes time to book with Westjet. Because both hotels are cheaper than CSR, we'll probably be able to go for 8 days instead of 7. I perfer 8 days, as it gives us an extra day to see more in the parks without feeling too rushed. I'm already saving up money for the trip and my CC is in lockdown until I book it in May/June 2016. The kids having homework to do once we are back is fine, as family comes first, and I have an overall distain for the school system in general after all the problems I've had the past couple of years. So I've got no problem in pulling them out of school for 6 days.

Here are 3 things to know one is for anytime and the other 2 are for the Food & Wine Festival:thumbsup2

1 - If you forgot your medication or need diabetic testing supplies the only pharmacy that delivers to Disney resorts is Turner's Pharmacy, if it is prescription the DR would have to send it there but if it it is non prescription they will deliver also you can pay up front online or they will deliver and have it shared to the room. (wife forgot her diabetic testing meter so we ordered one at 7am was there around 12:30:thumbsup2)

2- If you will be there during Food & Wine Festival and have a Disney Visa make sure to visit the Chase lounge at the American Pavilion 3rd floor for refreshments they have the coke machines that have like hundreds of flavors:cool1:

3- If you go during Food & Wine Festival be sure to stop at the welcome center between Mission Space & Universe of Energy and visit the Ghirardilli Chocolate booth free samples as you are walking in and if you stick around a few minutes they will come out and sample some new chocolates (this was one of the kids favorites since they were handing out the new chocolates and afterwards they let them pick out 5 more samples of whatever they wanted:thumbsup2

These might not sound so spectacular to most but as Commandos these are things we like to know about even if we don't use them, after all knowing is half the battle and keeps us on top level:thumbsup2

Thanks for the info Ron, I appreciate it. DH and the kids are pool nuts, as for me the Chlorine really really bothers me, even with an antihistamine in me, so I try to avoid swimming alot, even though I love being in the water. I've pretty well decided in either Pop Century or Port Orleans Riverside, with the preference to POR for the bigger rooms and beds. It really depends on what the cost will be when it comes time to book with Westjet. Because both hotels are cheaper than CSR, we'll probably be able to go for 8 days instead of 7. I perfer 8 days, as it gives us an extra day to see more in the parks without feeling too rushed. I'm already saving up money for the trip and my CC is in lockdown until I book it in May/June 2016. The kids having homework to do once we are back is fine, as family comes first, and I have an overall distain for the school system in general after all the problems I've had the past couple of years. So I've got no problem in pulling them out of school for 6 days.

Pop and All Star Movies both have 2 pools, I would recommend the Hippy Dippy Pool at Pop., And the Fantasmic Mickey pool at All Star Movies:thumbsup2

Thanks for the tip Ron, I'll add it to the thick binder of info I already have on WDW. I've discussed with DH about resorts, and we basically agree there's no point in paying more for a moderate hotel in that other than swimming and sleeping we won't be there all that much. So I've pretty well decided on Pop Century for our trip, but if I can get a really cheap price on POR, I'm not exactly ruling it out. It really comes down how our CDN dollar is doing against the US dollar, as to how much it's going to cost us. And right now our dollar isn't looking too good against yours. Hopefully it will start getting stronger again soon, as I'm cringing when I go to get USD this month how much it's going to cost me.

These are my observations on the Food & Wine Festival & also MNSSHP

F&W

- The top 6 Kiosks that our group liked the best (out of around 15) Brazil,Pataginia, Puerto Rico, Italy, Hawaii, Greece (I'll be honest I did not have anything guess I'm way too picky:lmao:)

- as for drinks it was the Margaritas in Mexico & The Moroccorita in Morocco:thumbsup2

- Heres something that blew my mind at 12:30 there were already 2 people lined up for Hanson 1st show was at like 5:confused3, 2 hrs before Christopher Cross show there was about 40 people in line:confused3, all I can say is true fans came in just for the show to be waiting that long in line:confused3

- Ghirardilli Chocolate at the welcome center, off the beaten path but a gem:thumbsup2, got a few pieces of chocolate each walking in and then they had a chocolate presentation introducing a new flavor, It was a dark chocolate with raspberry, I'm not a big Dark Chocolate fan but it was really good, the Ghirardilli rep (I think his name was Ryan) was very entertaining and a great salesman:thumbsup2, my son and his friend got to hand out the chocolate to be sampled and got a nice stash of chocolate to snack on later:cool1:

- Chase lounge at the American Pavilion open to Disney Chase Visa Members I took my friend with me and 1st off both of did not know there was a 3rd floor:confused3 It had a free refreshment center that had a few coke machines the ones that dispense a couple hundred of flavors of soda:thumbsup2

- The biggest con is the drunks, way too many guests that can not handle booze:rotfl2: I said more then a few times I remember my 1st drink:rotfl:, but those who know me would never make a bet of loser pays for drinks for the day:drinking1 :lmao:

- I'm happy to say that we got to ride Maelstrom, saw MoRockin' & Off Kilter for the last time and they certainly will be missed

Well it's getting late so I'll try do MNSSHP tomorrow night:thumbsup2

MNSSHP

- If you are after a good score of candy the best spot is over by Splash Mountain with 6 stations on the trail:cool1:

- Best dance party was at The Diamond Horse Shoe, with the villains, the one in Tomorrowland got moved to Cosmic Rays due to possibility of rain it was crazy in there we just walked out, even though there were a couple of monster's from Monster Inc that we never saw before:confused3

- we hit the 2nd parade over in Frontierland, it was less crowded and a lot darker then if you saw it on Main Street or the Hub therefore when it went by you could see it much better effect then if it was all lit up:thumbsup2

- Buzz and Lotso almost no wait got done with both in about 15mins:cool1:

- Make sure you get your pirate Sorcerer card at the fire house when you come in just show them you event band and they will mark it:thumbsup2

- Tarzan, Jafar, and Jack Sparrow all had about a 20min wait but they are all close to each other for a easy M&G's

- we scored 3 full bags of candy, when we were ready to check out we still had 2 full bags left, so I gave it to our housekeeper, He was really excited:thumbsup2

Downers

- had to leave about 1/2 hour early due to heavy downpour:(

- Jack Skellington was located next Town Hall, this was a really bad spot, since most hit it when coming into the park and anytime near a parade time you could not really get to it:worried:

- 7 Dwarf's line was huge, they were across from the entrance to 7 Dwarf's mine train had a huge line:sad:

- a lot of the places to get popcorn closed early only a few places were open, most of the ones open had 20 - 30 min wait and they were near the hub

It's official 12/11 - 12/14 staying at Pop, making the AP work for me 5th trip on it so far:thumbsup2 Ready to do Christmas season + MVMCP:cool1::banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter