• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Warning: New Menus for Kids at Some TS Restaurants

OK, here's my take on this:

1. Le Cellier, Chef Mickey's, Kona, Teppanyaki, Jiko, Flying Fish, Artist's Point all these still have the old menu.

2. Sci-fi and Mama Melrose have the new menu - and they are expensive compared to previous menus. $7.49 for a kids meal???? Gimme a break!

3. The plates are not CS kids plastic plates. They are china and they are big. The mickey head part is about the size of a CS plate, and the ears are about saucer sized. So they are hefty plates.

4. It was a pain in the you-know-what to ask for substitutions, but we were able to get some substitutions. It was also a pain to select just an entree from the kid's pick (a la carte) items without the appetizer/sides/dessert.

5. The chicken strips are grilled - you get 3 strips that aren't very big.

6. I think this menu will stay for a while unless they hear many complaints. So, if you don't like it, better speak up.

7. Up until yesterday (when we went home) all DDP credits are still lumped together. There are no adults/child credit. A credit is a credit is a credit.

8. The standardized kids meal makes for a very boring kids vacation. It was a good thing we were able to break it up with buffets, and off-site things. We ended up buying adult chicken strips for one of my sons a lot of times.

BlindTyldak said:
For people not on the DDP, they would have the new child's menu choices or they could pay for a full adult meal for the child/share a meal.

As one who visits Disney not on the DDP, I'd say we're being forced to pay more ($7.49 now vs. $4.99 before) for a meal including an appetizer and a dessert, where before we could only pay for the entree (which is what we almost always did). We often prefer to have dessert later in between meals in the form of a Mickey bar rather than right after the meal.

We will be pursuing the option of having my 2 DS's share an adult meal when there is something that they agree on (i.e. cheeseburger or pizza), but then we'll have the additional cost of 2 drinks, which can really add up (as opposed to drink being included with kids meal). I really don't want to fight battles over getting them to agree on the same meal either, so I'm not sure how often this will work out. :confused3

I still don't understand why Disney restaurants can't offer a few of the adult choices at each restaurant sized down along with a couple standadr fare choices. Around here, I have seen restaurants with great selection on the children's menu using smaller portions of adult entrees and the menu clearly states only for children under 10 or whatever age. If it is available on the adult menu, then the adult can order it from there. If Disney can enforce not allowing substitutions on the new childrens menu, they should be able to enforce adults ordering an adult portion if it the same item is offered on the childrens menu. With the DDP, Disney basically has a captive audience when it comes to dining and I think they are falling short with this new offering. Also, for those not on the DDP - the prices for children's meals are very steep. I also think offering smaller portions of adult meals from the restaurant menu would make it a whole lot easier for the kitchen as well - less inventory and such. This whole thing is very frustrating...

akalittleeva said:
I still don't understand why Disney restaurants can't offer a few of the adult choices at each restaurant sized down along with a couple standadr fare choices.

There are several reasons, but I'll only address the main one..... Because Adults would order it.

akalittleeva said:
Around here, I have seen restaurants with great selection on the children's menu using smaller portions of adult entrees and the menu clearly states only for children under 10 or whatever age.

Local restaurants don't have to deal with masses of people on the internet trading ways to get every last nickles worth out of a vacation. Disney reads the posts here & knows the measures that people will take to save a buck. They also know that a good number of visitors can afford to spend more than they do & definately would if they couldn't "get away" with the penny-pinching practices.

akalittleeva said:
If it is available on the adult menu, then the adult can order it from there. If Disney can enforce not allowing substitutions on the new childrens menu, they should be able to enforce adults ordering an adult portion if it the same item is offered on the childrens menu.

Disney does not like to say no to their guests & I don't think I've read one instance where people were told that they couldn't substitute a side item. Most occurances that I've read about, the server replied "We'll try" or something like it(which is the perfect CM answer). By putting new menu choices in place, I'm sure the servers won't encounter adults ordering from the kid's menus even remotely as much.

akalittleeva said:
With the DDP, Disney basically has a captive audience when it comes to dining and I think they are falling short with this new offering. Also, for those not on the DDP - the prices for children's meals are very steep. I also think offering smaller portions of adult meals from the restaurant menu would make it a whole lot easier for the kitchen as well - less inventory and such. This whole thing is very frustrating...

I totally understand the change and especially the price increase. Too many people were taking advantage of Disney's accomadating nature & revenue was lost. They took appropriate steps to put an end to it....It's silly for anyone to blame Disney because they don't like it.....They're a for-profit business.

It sounds like the Kid Pick's will give more flexibility to a pretty generic menu, but like everyone says, it doesn't matter what Disney does, someone won't be happy.

mareed said:
As one who visits Disney not on the DDP, I'd say we're being forced to pay more ($7.49 now vs. $4.99 before) for a meal including an appetizer and a dessert, where before we could only pay for the entree (which is what we almost always did). We often prefer to have dessert later in between meals in the form of a Mickey bar rather than right after the meal.

Excellent point, I hadn't thought of that. danged if you do, danged if you don't it looks like . . . :confused3

OK, does anyone know if this change will flow into the resort restaurants? I'm considering changing our lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern to one of the MK resort restaurants. The price change does stink. We are also a family that doesn't (rarely) eat dessert immediately after our meal. Now because it's included in the price....well you know. My head hurts :confused3 :headache:
Kimba

Tink10 said:
There are several reasons, but I'll only address the main one..... Because Adults would order it.

Local restaurants don't have to deal with masses of people on the internet trading ways to get every last nickles worth out of a vacation. Disney reads the posts here & knows the measures that people will take to save a buck. They also know that a good number of visitors can afford to spend more than they do & definately would if they couldn't "get away" with the penny-pinching practices.

Disney does not like to say no to their guests & I don't think I've read one instance where people were told that they couldn't substitute a side item. Most occurances that I've read about, the server replied "We'll try" or something like it(which is the perfect CM answer). By putting new menu choices in place, I'm sure the servers won't encounter adults ordering from the kid's menus even remotely as much.

I totally understand the change and especially the price increase. Too many people were taking advantage of Disney's accomadating nature & revenue was lost. They took appropriate steps to put an end to it....It's silly for anyone to blame Disney because they don't like it.....They're a for-profit business.

It sounds like the Kid Pick's will give more flexibility to a pretty generic menu, but like everyone says, it doesn't matter what Disney does, someone won't be happy.

You can't blame people for wanting to get every last nickel when they are charging over $7 for a lackluster children's meal. I don't believe in cheating the system, but their is nothing wrong with watching your pennies, either through choice or necessity. Disney is not a cheap vacation and anyone who goes there is leaving plenty of money behind - just because people can afford to spend more money, doesn't mean they want to or need to. From what I am reading here, Disney is saying no to allowing substitutions with their TS children's combos. If they can say no to that, they can say no to allowing adults from ordering from the children's menu - disappointed kids=disappointed parents, either way. I find it hard to believe that the people responsible for these decisions really think this the best way to approach the issues with the childrens menus - maybe they should be offered these choices for their meals for a week - they might change their minds.

akalittleeva said:
You can't blame people for wanting to get every last nickel when they are charging over $7 for a lackluster children's meal. I don't believe in cheating the system, but their is nothing wrong with watching your pennies, either through choice or necessity. Disney is not a cheap vacation and anyone who goes there is leaving plenty of money behind - just because people can afford to spend more money, doesn't mean they want to or need to. From what I am reading here, Disney is saying no to allowing substitutions with their TS children's combos. If they can say no to that, they can say no to allowing adults from ordering from the children's menu - disappointed kids=disappointed parents, either way. I find it hard to believe that the people responsible for these decisions really think this the best way to approach the issues with the childrens menus - maybe they should be offered these choices for their meals for a week - they might change their minds.

I certainly don't blame people for wanting to save a bit, but, if their THAT unhappy about the choices and the price, then they can take that same $7.00 and get......

Buzz's Meal Deal (Toy Story Pizza Planet) - Individual Cheese Pizza, with Garden Salad $7.59

Chicken Strips served with fries (Electric Umbrella) $6.69

Beef Hot Dog (Cosmic Ray's)- served with your choice of French fries or carrots $5.79; add bacon $0.79

There are many many choices out there & nobody is saying that people HAVE to eat at TS locations. If spending a few extra bucks to make your kid happy on vacation is that much of a problem, than maybe WDW, or any other theme park (where food is overpriced) is a bad choice for a family vacation. If the choices (which, even I agree are not so great) are going to cause that much of a problem with a family's DDP plans, then they probably shouldn't get the DDP.

I have a picky eater, who, even at 15, would still prefer chicken strips & pizza to the kid's meals or the adult choices. Am I blaming Disney because she doesn't like the food at many table service restaurants? No, I'm blaming myself for not encouraging her to try more foods when she was younger. Should Disney magically create a menu to cater to her every whim?.....Certainly not.

As a CM, I saw, on a daily basis, just how far people will go to take advantage of how Disney is willing to satisfy peoples' requests. It started out as comical, then it just became pathetic. And one thing that I've learned is that when it comes to Disney, people get upset if they feel that they didn't get something that someone else may have gotten. It goes right back to that "It's all about me" attitude.

Don't blame Disney for this change.....Blame the people who abused the system in the first place......It's that simple.

Tink10 - the POINT is that families want to eat together and maybe they don't want to eat at the EU, CR or TSPP. They want quality food for the entire family.

I understand the point you were trying to make, but you totally ignore the reasons families want to eat at table service locations.

TravelinGal said:
Tink10 - the POINT is that families want to eat together and maybe they don't want to eat at the EU, CR or TSPP. They want quality food for the entire family.

I understand the point you were trying to make, but you totally ignore the reasons families want to eat at table service locations.

I enjoy eating with my family just about every night, so I really do understand. But those complaining are totally turning a blind eye to the fact that WDW is a business and will do what it has to do to generate income....This happens every time ther's any sort of a change with WDW, whether it be room discounts, park hours or meals......

oogieboogie said:
2. Sci-fi and Mama Melrose have the new menu - and they are expensive compared to previous menus. $7.49 for a kids meal???? Gimme a break!

What kind of break? When ALL items were a la carte, a kid's meal was equally if not more expensive. Examples:

4/06 Prime Time
. . . appetizers (two choices) $1.99
. . . entrees (four choices) $4.99 and $5.99
. . . desserts (two choices) $2.29 and $2.99
So a kid's meal cost(s) between $8.27 and $10.97

6/06 Mama Melrose's

6/06 Sci-Fi

Liberty Tree Tavern
. . . appetizers - none
. . . entrees (five choices) $3.99, $4.99 and $5.99
. . . desserts (one 'choice') $3.99
So a kid's meal cost(s) between $7.98 and $9.98

I checked - $7.49 isn't more expensive than even the lowest combination from the existing or former menus :)

Really, Disney can't please everyone. No appetizers on the kids menu, people complain. Fried or other fatty items on the kids menu, people complain. Healthy full meals, people complain. Limited selection, people complain. Can't make everybody happy.

Tink10 said:
Local restaurants don't have to deal with masses of people on the internet trading ways to get every last nickles worth out of a vacation. Disney reads the posts here & knows
That's not just a guess on Tink10's part. I've been told recently by Cast Members that Disney does read these boards.

kaytieeldr said:
What kind of break? When ALL items were a la carte, a kid's meal was equally if not more expensive. Examples:

4/06 Prime Time

6/06 Mama Melrose's

6/06 Sci-Fi

Liberty Tree Tavern
. . . appetizers - none
. . . entrees (five choices) $3.99, $4.99 and $5.99
. . . desserts (one 'choice') $3.99
So a kid's meal cost(s) between $7.98 and $9.98

I checked - $7.49 isn't more expensive than even the lowest combination from the existing or former menus :)

Well for MY family and I'm not on a dining plan, my kids never ordered an appetizer or a dessert with their meal. We did dessert later after dinner. So for me to have to pay more for food my kids won't eat bothers me.
I think that the point of this thread is 2 fold: People are trying to find answers as to what is what and being able to express their disappointment at the changes. I understand Disney is a business but that fact doesn't change the fact that this change is a bummer for a lot of us.
Kimba

kaytieeldr said:

However, there is a big difference in value. The former menus actually had a dessert and an appetizer. When I look at these set combos, I definitely do not see a dessert on any of them. I serve my kids apples and applesauce as part of their meal. Now, items that I'd consider part of the entree are being called the appetizer and dessert. :confused3

kaytieeldr said:
That's not just a guess on Tink10's part. I've been told recently by Cast Members that Disney does read these boards.

No doubt. I wouldn't be surprised to find that CMs post as well (maybe even try to convince us that this menu change is a good thing ;) ).

Our only experience with the new menu was positive. We were able to mix and match at Mama Melrose as much as we wanted and they had a couple of the old items priced seperately that we could have also. Our child also got ice cream for his desert IN ADDITION to his two sides that came with his grilled chicken strips. They ended up getting his two sides wrong but that wasn't the fault of the menu.

1. Le Cellier, Chef Mickey's, Kona, Teppanyaki, Jiko, Flying Fish, Artist's Point all these still have the old menu.

Le Cellier, Boma, Chef Mickey's, Maya Grill, Crystal Palace, Biergarten, Spoodles, 1900, 'Ohana all had the old one for us too.

Of the places that had the new menu, we only went to Mama's which still had some of the old menu items available a-la-carte.

3. The plates are not CS kids plastic plates. They are china and they are big. The mickey head part is about the size of a CS plate, and the ears are about saucer sized. So they are hefty plates.

Yup.

4. It was a pain in the you-know-what to ask for substitutions, but we were able to get some substitutions. It was also a pain to select just an entree from the kid's pick (a la carte) items without the appetizer/sides/dessert.
We were able to mix and match nearly at will at Mama's. They got it wrong though.
5. The chicken strips are grilled - you get 3 strips that aren't very big.
I like the fact they were grilled. I didn't like the fact they weren't very big. But they still seemed to be enough for my son.

6. I think this menu will stay for a while unless they hear many complaints. So, if you don't like it, better speak up.

I only encountered it at the one place. Maybe they're trying it out to see what comments they get on it? I would love to see it at a couple places. But I hope they don't put it in at every single place.

7. Up until yesterday (when we went home) all DDP credits are still lumped together. There are no adults/child credit. A credit is a credit is a credit.

We experienced the same. Credits were credits. We had no problems paying exactly how we wanted to anywhere we went. I would like to add that at several counters where the kids menu was lackluster, they let him get something off the adult menu he wanted with no hassle and no problem. This was especially true at the pizza places. We ate at 3 of them. And in all cases, they gave him a pizza even though it wasn't on the kid's menu. At two of them, he only got the pizza (the adult meal came with a salad.) At Toy Story Pizza Planet he got a combo like every one else.

8. The standardized kids meal makes for a very boring kids vacation. It was a good thing we were able to break it up with buffets, and off-site things. We ended up buying adult chicken strips for one of my sons a lot of times.
We found the kids menu lacking at several places. At some of them, the standardized menu might be an improvement. At others, however, it would definitely be a bad thing.

Overalll, your experience was similar to ours.

Didn't read the entire thread, sorry, but I know that we are not the only ones who booked DDP for future months a while back and there was no mention of the upcoming menu changes. Others have said it as well, that I booked off of what I thought the menus would be. I researched ahead and made my decision off of that. I will speak up, but does anyone know to whom and where????? Thanks for the info. it would be appreciated! :)

kimbac3 said:
Well for MY family and I'm not on a dining plan, my kids never ordered an appetizer or a dessert with their meal. We did dessert later after dinner. So for me to have to pay more for food my kids won't eat bothers me.

The same goes for us. Definitely a forced price increase for those not on DDP if we're forced to get & pay for appetizer & dessert. Now, if they continue to have entree only options at corresponding lower prices available, I'd be much happier.

I'm so glad we didn't get this menu last week. My kids are picky and would have only ate the pizza, minus the chicken. MY DS may or may not eat a burger. I don't like the idea of cold chicken strips. Grilled chicken is fine but why cold- if that is how they are. None of my kids eat raw veggies so I could imagine dinner would have been a fiasco every night. IT may be a better idea to just buy them CS meals before the adults eat TS dinner.We I hope the CS aren't changing too.

:sad2:
I have a daughter who is lactose intolerant. Yes, we can give her medicine, but we try to limit her cheese intake. With the new menu, that cuts out half the food. She would basically be stuck with chicken strips every night. I never would have picked the dining plan if I had seen those kids menus! Now that the trip is paid for, it really is the pits for the menus to change so dramatically. We would never put up with 5 meal choices for ourselves at every sit down meal for every meal at Disney. What is Disney thinking? If it's all about the money, go up on the dining plan, but give our children some good choices. Sorry, I just had to vent.
I don't mind healty. I didn't want chicken nuggets and fries every night. I had picked places where they could get chicken breasts and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches too. Anyone know of any restaurants this won't be affecting?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter