• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Warning: New Menus for Kids at Some TS Restaurants

Wow...this sounds awful. The same food every night? Yuck! My DS will be 3.5 when we return to WDW in January...no way is he eating salad or soup as an appetizer. Luckily with the dining plan we can share since we NEVER order two appetizers when we eat out here. When we went to WDW last December, DS was 2.5 and lived off of french fries for at least one meal a day. :rolleyes:

One of our favorite things to do at WDW is to eat. We love trying new restaurants. We normally do at least one TC meal per day...this was before the dining plan even existed. IF they start changing the menus and making everything more and more "standard" at each place, this would make us not want to visit WDW as often. :( :( :(

I'm on Day 9 of our trip and I have no problem with healthy, but it's what they chose as healthy that's a problem.

My kids love raw carrots, grapes, strawberries and watermelon for example.

At 50's Prime Time, there was the Pita Pizza but it had Diced Chicken on it and it came with a salad with cucumbers and apples covered in brown sugar. Take out the chicken (under the melted cheese), give them plain carrots instead of salad and skip the brown sugar on the apples and they would have been thrilled, but you can't! The grilled chicken strips would have been great with raw carrots and strawberries, but the carrots are cooked with green beans and seasoned, and the strawberries are in a flavored yogurt sauce and you have to have it that way. The last choice - Just Dip It, had the raw carrots and the plain apples and strawberries but that's not enough when you don't it mayo-containting chicken salad or yogurt. Why can't they mix and match and let you get the raw carrots and fruit from the Dip It with your grilled chicken and give you a choice of plain pizza.

They offered the aforementioned M&C or Nuggets but who wants to eat that for lunch and dinner for 10 days?!

I agree with whoever said the theme should match too. Why not have chicken and mashed potatoes like the adult theme on the menu? Or pot roast hold the gravy if they want it plain? LMAO - people in the 50s didn't eat a chicken pita pizza!

How ridiculous is it that kids can't have Pizza at Pizzafari while the parents are?? BTW, there they did not care if you ordered all adult meals. I don't know if it's because the DP was free that they didn't care these last 9 days, but not a single person cared. We had 60 CS credits at the start for 4 Adults and 2 Kids and maybe we ordered 8 kids meals this whole time.

I would never pay for the DP, as it would have made me crazy to pay for my 3 year old son and watch him only be able to eat raw carrots and a scoop of vanilla ice cream at Coral Reef because he's a light eater or watch my 7 year old Autistic son starve because he couldn't get anything the way he needed it and not enough of what he liked. Getting it for free takes the stress away because you never worry that you're getting ripped off or that you didn't get your money's worth or had a bad server. :)

Teppanyaki still had a great kids menu - chicken cooked with everyone else's, veggies and white rice. For dessert they choose a wrapped chocolate chip cookie or ice cream.

Mexico was good with a kids burrito, rice and beans and ice cream dessert. They had 2 other choices like a quesadilla and Taco?

The EPCOT restaurants have it right still - kids, themed meals. If they make Japan serve a pita pizza, I'll be ticked.

I think this is another example of the DDP ruining dining at WDW. The menus are dumbed down. The portions are smaller. The prices are the same. IF your not on the DDP the value of WDW dining has gone down considerably. The kids meals were ok before but they did get old after an period of time. Disney can do better. Here is a SeaWorld menu.

Young Adults Menu

(Recommended for ages 10-15)

Oak Grilled Petit Filet Mignon $10.95
Grilled to perfection and served with fried onion wisps, poblano seasoned mashed potatoes and grilled corn cobbette

Oak Grilled Salmon Filet $9.95
Oak grilled and served with poblano seasoned mashed potatoes and grilled corn cobbette

Grilled Chicken Breast with Orange Glaze $7.75
Served with french fries and grilled corn cobbette

Popcorn Shrimp $8.75
Tender shrimp in a crisp batter, fried golden brown and served with french fries and fresh fruit

Children's Menu

(Suggested for children under the age of 10 years)

Pasta Marinara $5.95
A plate of fresh linguine, topped with our special marinara sauce accompanied by garlic toast

Jumbo Oak Grilled Hot Dog $5.75
All beef hot dog, oak grilled and served with french fries and fresh fruit

Chicken Tenders $6.55
Tender white meat chicken, breaded and fried, served with french fries and fresh fruit

Why can't WDW do something like this???

I posted something similiar on the other thread but I'm just not understanding the problem. If I had a 6-7-8-9 year old I would probably just skip doing the dining plan based on the the new items for kids. I know my own daughter would have never have liked most of those choices so for us when she was that age the dining plan would not have made sense. If you don't do the dining plan you still have plenty of options. Share meals. Order off the adult's menu for the child (maybe an appetizer for example). There are things you can do. I think Disney has their reasons for the changes but I think with some flexibility you can work around them. It's still a shame. Disney used to have great kids' meals that we would order and enjoy - and we were never on the dining plan then. But I think the changes are a reaction to some things Disney perceived and I wouldn't be surprised if the changes were here to stay.

DCDisney said:
Like Sci Fi the kids very much want to go to. I'm thinking we could always use some CS credits and get the kids take out meals to bring with us to Sci Fi.

Why not just let your kids share a CS meal or have a healthy snack before going to the Sci Fi & let them decide if they want to order a kids meal when you get there? If they truely don't want any of the kid's offerings, then let them have dessert there, which is way more fun than bringing in food from another restaurant......(which also may be frowned upon as well)

DisOrBust said:
I think this is another example of the DDP ruining dining at WDW. The menus are dumbed down. The portions are smaller. The prices are the same. IF your not on the DDP the value of WDW dining has gone down considerably. The kids meals were ok before but they did get old after an period of time. Disney can do better. Here is a SeaWorld menu.

Young Adults Menu

(Recommended for ages 10-15)

Oak Grilled Petit Filet Mignon $10.95
Grilled to perfection and served with fried onion wisps, poblano seasoned mashed potatoes and grilled corn cobbette

Oak Grilled Salmon Filet $9.95
Oak grilled and served with poblano seasoned mashed potatoes and grilled corn cobbette

Grilled Chicken Breast with Orange Glaze $7.75
Served with french fries and grilled corn cobbette

Popcorn Shrimp $8.75
Tender shrimp in a crisp batter, fried golden brown and served with french fries and fresh fruit

Children's Menu

(Suggested for children under the age of 10 years)

Pasta Marinara $5.95
A plate of fresh linguine, topped with our special marinara sauce accompanied by garlic toast

Jumbo Oak Grilled Hot Dog $5.75
All beef hot dog, oak grilled and served with french fries and fresh fruit

Chicken Tenders $6.55
Tender white meat chicken, breaded and fried, served with french fries and fresh fruit

Why can't WDW do something like this???

Having eaten at many WDW restaurants and waited for many tables in those restaurants I've noticed that quite a few people (especially first or second time visitors) don't eat at the TS locations for the food, they eat there for the experience & theming. So, those who are visiting WDW on a budget (like most do) know that the restaurants are expensive and will want to experience it as inexpensively as humanly possible.

As it's been said before, WDW has definately learned that IF they offer these types of meals that a large number of very frugal adults will order these instead of the adult choices. This is why we saw kid's cheeseburgers, hot dogs & pizza disappear from the CS menus a couple of years ago.

Until recently, it's been widely known that if someone over the age of 9 wanted to order a kid's meal, WDW servers would happily let them order it. I suspect that WDW was losing entirely too much revenue from adults ordering off of the childrens' menus and the most effective way for them to put an end to the situation was to make the kid's meals smaller & more obvious (hence the Mickey tray), more expensive and pretty much unappetizing to adults. Calling the kid's meals "Healthy" is Disney's way of putting a positive spin on a change that may be a bit unpopular.

As far as the DDP goes, I think that it's so popular that Disney will definately keep it around. The DDP fills empty rooms and restaurant tables. Free Dining is the perfect example of how quick people are to jump to go to WDW on the cheap at times when they wouldn't otherwise visit. But I really think that Disney didn't anticipate that so many would work so hard to milk every last nickle out of it. Most of the DDP "issues" revolve around paying OOP for kid's meals, sharing meals & the great "pooled credit" debate. Changing the kid's meals, in a way, helps alleviate the OOP theory because people will be less apt to pay OOP for a meal that their child won't like. It's much easier for most to feed their kids something off the adult menu or buy something before or after the meal to keep their kids happy. The pooled credit thing has been adressed in countless other threads, but that loophole will be changing as well......I'll leave it at that.

Believe me, I'd like there to be more "regular" kid's meal choices, as my DD usually prefers those to what's on the adult menu, but she's usually willing to find something that she'll try. If there's not, then we chalk it up to experience and let her have dessert & get a CS meal later. I've also learned to not rely on the menus on AllEars. While Deb's site is an an incredible planning asset, it's by no means "official" & she relies on readers to provide her the menus which can & do change. I use them as a guideline and anyone who uses them to plan exactly what they're going to eat could be setting themselves up for a major disappointment.

People need to remember that it's all about money. A perfect example is the smaller portion sizes at the TS restaurants and the added snacks on the DDP. If people fill up on their snacks (which are normally large batch, inexpensive items), then the the larger, more costly portions that used to be offered in restaurants wouldn't be missed as much. The reason why Disney does what they do so well is because they make money and can afford to provide the Magic which we have all come to love & expect. The more revenue they lose, the more cutbacks we'll see, which will make them no better than a Six Flags with a Mouse mascot.

With enough complaints, the kid's menus will probably change back, but then we can expect to see much more of a crackdown on the age enforcement. If the new menus put that much of a hitch in your plans then you may want to reconsider the DDP and/or restaurant choices alltogether.

I saw the post on Tepan.. Japan that still has the regular choices for kids meals, Has anyone confirmed if the other Epcot restaurants are sticking with their own thing? Specifically Alfredo's?

also I know I have asked for a serving of plain pasta for my 3 yr old before, (when she was in her "white food" phase) does anyone want to guess if this will still be an option?

My girls will not eat any of the 3 new choices, I'm going to have to gamble on the alacarte items. Thank goodness we have mostly buffets planned. I hope we can still get noodles, meatballs and chicken nuggets there!

one more question about Tony's, was raviolli one of the alacarte choices for kids? it is not on the adult menu and I don't see it listed on any other menu in WDW. We planned to eat there since it is DD's favorite food, she would eat it EVERY day if possible.

nbodyhome said:
I think also that there needs to be more variety. Personally, I would prefer to see Disney have a childs portion size of adult entrees, and a half portion for those of us who don't want to eat as much or waste food. It isn't exactly hard to do - they are already cooking those items! Then add burgers, chicken nuggets and spagetti for a few extra kids options if they won't eat anything else.

I agree and it sounds like the perfect solution too. Just wish they would do it.

nbodyhome said:
Applesauce is a nice option, though I'd prefer if they used Healthy Harvest (Motts). A number of different flavors to choose from, no added sugar - at least it isn't the same on each time.

IMO, I think the no-sugar added applesauces taste the best. I got used to it when I lived at home. My father is diabetic. The regular applesauce now tastes too sweet.

I'm confused...is this at CS, too or just TS? The choices are sooo limited! Who eats chicken on pizza? I am from outside Chicago and we don't eat chicken on pizza, just yuppies do and certainly not my 9 year old son! Granted, DH and I like to eat fancier stuff, but why not plain cheese pizza for kids?

AnnetteF said:
Chicken Pizza? :confused3 I wouldn't eat that myself much less expect my DD to eat it. I'm not liking the sound of this at all. Thanks for the warning though.
Garlic chicken pizza is the hands down favorite of adults and kids at our house.

chigirl said:
I'm confused...is this at CS, too or just TS? The choices are sooo limited! Who eats chicken on pizza? I am from outside Chicago and we don't eat chicken on pizza, just yuppies do and certainly not my 9 year old son! Granted, DH and I like to eat fancier stuff, but why not plain cheese pizza for kids?

I think people sell kids short. Most kids will eat "fancier stuff" if it's presented to them at an early age enthusiastically. I have an eleven year old with Asperger's and she loves most food - including chicken pizza. California Pizza Kitchen makes a frozen garlic chicken pizza that is a favorite around here. She also eats healthier because we eat healthier. Hot dogs, chicken nuggets, and french fries are a rare thing in this house so she really doesn't like them (or ask for them when we eat out). McDonald's and other fast food chain have made a ton of money convincing us that kids have to have fast, unhealthy food. They don't.

kimberh said:
My SIL just returned from a week and her picky grandchildren ate chicken nugetts every night. I do hope Chicken nuggets are on the DDP. We go next week and are taking our grands.

Theres chicken strips
http://allearsnet.com/menu/menu_ddpkids.htm

Pita Pizza - with diced chicken and mozzarella cheese, served with shredded vegetable salad and brown-sugar apples $7.49

Just Dip It - assorted fruits, vegetables, chicken salad and yogurt $7.49

Chicken Strips - served with barbecue sauce, sweet potato sticks, green beans, carrots and yogurt parfait $7.49

Kid's Picks - choice of one appetizer, one entree and one dessert:

Appetizers: Vegetable Salad OR Chicken Noodle Soup
Entrees: Macaroni and Cheese OR Spaghetti and Meatballs
Desserts: Fruit Salad OR Ice Cream Sundae

disneymom2one said:
I think people sell kids short. Most kids will eat "fancier stuff" if it's presented to them at an early age enthusiastically. I have an eleven year old with Asperger's and she loves most food - including chicken pizza. California Pizza Kitchen makes a frozen garlic chicken pizza that is a favorite around here. She also eats healthier because we eat healthier. Hot dogs, chicken nuggets, and french fries are a rare thing in this house so she really doesn't like them (or ask for them when we eat out). McDonald's and other fast food chain have made a ton of money convincing us that kids have to have fast, unhealthy food. They don't.

My dearest friend is a sous chef at one of Chicago's top places...I am not selling my kids short, they have been exposed to foi gras & other gourmet fare their whole life...they like bland food. We have a California Pizza Kitchen right here in Oakbrook Mall, so they have had stuff there, too. Chicago is a very diverse food city. Believe me, I enjoy many varied meals as I was raised by "ethnic" parents, but my kids do not. I have tried to get them to try a variety of dishes to no avail...now don't get me wrong, they eat healthy, plenty of fresh veggies & fruits! I guess I am more bummed that the variety is soooo limited. Over our 8 day trip, he'll be eating the same meal at least twice...plus I don't think a veggie dipper platter is a meal, even if you're a vegetarian.

My kids really like grilled chicken on pizza and I don't think they're yuppies! :teeth:

I have also heard as Tink10 suggested, that the reason the childrens menus at CS are so terrible is because of all the cheap adults trying to save money and order a kids meal. I can believe this. Have you ever read those buy a double cheesburger and get an extra roll/make a meal out of the fixns bar/share a soda posts? I can easily believe that those same people would order a kids hot dog at CS if they offered it. The unofficial guide has a "food budget" story that grosses me out every time I read it (it's in the last few additions). The family freezes lunch meat and freezes water in a gallon milk container to keep the stuff cold and they eat from the cooler ALL WEEK. I didn't even know you could freeze cold cut lunch meat and cheese-yuck!

I think it's a shame about the TS meals becoming lame too. They were the meals I could count on my kids to have good choices at. We do TS breakfast and dinner every day while at Disney and some lunches. One of my kids is 10 now, so an "adult" on the plan. If my other 2 get sick of the kids choices at TS, I guess I will just buy an adult meal for them to split. Not a big deal, I still think the DDP is a good deal. I just wish they let you purchase a dining plan that allowed you to have 2 or 3 TS meals per day like the old Gold/silver plans. I really miss those plans! We can't get the premium because we are DVC members. Oh well. :teeth:

NMW said:
I just wish they let you purchase a dining plan that allowed you to have 2 or 3 TS meals per day like the old Gold/silver plans. I really miss those plans! We can't get the premium because we are DVC members. Oh well. :teeth:

Hear hear, we loved the Magical Wishes where you spent your wishes on meals, that plan was excellent. We would have eagerly paid for a plan this trip that gave us 3 TS a day, but we didn't want to pay for everything else they tacked on the premium that we wouldn't use.

of course, if we had we would have been downright furious at the new menu instead of just really ticked off. :lmao:

NMW said:
additions). The family freezes lunch meat and freezes water in a gallon milk container to keep the stuff cold and they eat from the cooler ALL WEEK. I didn't even know you could freeze cold cut lunch meat and cheese-yuck!

Ok this is :offtopic: but both lunch meat and cheese can be frozen quite easily and still maintains it's flavor. So if you see a great deal on deli cuts, snatch it up, wrap it well and store for about 4 to 6 weeks in the freezer.
Sorry about the O/T rant but I freeze lunch meat and cheese all the time and I wanted people to do know it still tastes yummy.

Back on topic...From what I'm gathering..now please correct me if I'm wrong..this will have more effect on the DDP users than those of us not on DDP. Or am I missing something :confused3
Kimba

DCDisney said:
The problem though is that if the kids don't like the 2 alacarte choices they won't get desserts at all. Each of the set meals comes with apples, yogurt, etc instead of dessert. Or I guess what they hope is that parents will spend the extra $3 OOP and buy the kids desserts?

If the little kids HAVE to have a dessert, why can't they share mom and dads? The adult meals are still as big as ever and I don't remember a single TS meal where all 3 adults on our trip had a dessert. Usually we shared one between the 3 of us (plus some nibbles for DS who was 18 months old at the time).

That said, I feel the limited choices are HORRIBLE! Healthy is fine, but mix it up people! Kids have taste buds and opinions too!

I know my DS will not eat salad or carrots. (he has a very strong gag reflex that is texture based and the textures of those cause an immediate - well... we'll just say the entire meal would be over for us and half the restaurant.) Hopefully he'll outgrow this soon. The only veggie we can get him to eat without gagging is broccoli - but only at the Outback...LOL Must be something in the seasoning they use.

kimbac3 said:
Back on topic...From what I'm gathering..now please correct me if I'm wrong..this will have more effect on the DDP users than those of us not on DDP. Or am I missing something :confused3
Kimba

Only in that people on the DDP will in effect have already paid for a child's meal (unless they go during free time), so they have only the limited options for their child at select TS restaurants, or they can pay for their child's meal a SECOND time and order them something from the adult menu/share their own meal (and waste or save a credit to use elsewhere), or they can attempt (and likely fail) to use the child's credit as an adult credit to get the child an adult meal. For people not on the DDP, they would have the new child's menu choices or they could pay for a full adult meal for the child/share a meal.

BlindTyldak said:
Only in that people on the DDP will in effect have already paid for a child's meal (unless they go during free time), so they have only the limited options for their child at select TS restaurants, or they can pay for their child's meal a SECOND time and order them something from the adult menu/share their own meal (and waste or save a credit to use elsewhere), or they can attempt (and likely fail) to use the child's credit as an adult credit to get the child an adult meal. For people not on the DDP, they would have the new child's menu choices or they could pay for a full adult meal for the child/share a meal.

That's kind of what I thinking. I know the menu choices will affect everyone with children but it's that whole you already paid once thing that is really depressing.
Kimba

pigletforever said:
i had heard there were changes for Free Dining but I didn't think they were going to be permanent. Is anyone there now who can fill us in?
I can't officially - but common sense, given that the last Free Dining Plan Guests will be checking out today, indicates to me that the change is in NO way connected to this briefly-available deal whatsoever.

lkjasd said:
I posted this same info on the general restaurant board at BeattyFmaily's request and someone posting there found a copy of the menu on AllEarsNet. Here it is from the Turf Club Restaurant
Interesting - I think that's been the kids menu ever since Turf Club opened - all those many, many weeks ago... :) Seriously. It opened in July, and I don't think the menu has changed at all since then. GREAT service, by the way, and really good food.

wdwfamilyinIL said:
I just wanted to point out its more than just diet that makes someone overweight.
Thanks. I'm saving your post for the next "if fat people would just stop stuffing their faces,,,," thread :teeth:

DCDisney said:
The problem though is that if the kids don't like the 2 alacarte choices they won't get desserts at all.
Sure they will. Applesauce IS the dessert with the combo meal; and there is absolutely NOTHING preventing Guests from purchasing a dessert for a child (or group of children) who ordered a combo meal.

nbodyHome said:
Applesauce is a nice option, though I'd prefer if they used Healthy Harvest (Motts). A number of different flavors to choose from, no added sugar - at least it isn't the same on each time.
Sounds good! In the regular grocery aisle, or the natural foods section? TIA!

Ms Maggs said:
I'm on Day 9 of our trip and I have no problem with healthy, but it's what they chose as healthy that's a problem.
Thanks for the on-the-spot reporting! Remember, everyone, Ms Maggs is just telling us all what's going on right now - she is NOT responsible for the changes!

Ms Maggs said:
Why can't they mix and match and let you get the raw carrots and fruit from the Dip It with your grilled chicken and give you a choice of plain pizza.
Oh, well, because then it wouldn't be set combo meals :) It'd be pretty much a la carte with a greatly reduced set of choices. Seriously, if they did what you suggest, they'd probably have to eliminate the a la carte appetizer and dessert from the kids menu as well - and everybody would only be able to get the same, extremely limited 'choices', albeit in a variety of combinations.

Ms Maggs said:
How ridiculous is it that kids can't have Pizza at Pizzafari while the parents are??
I'm pretty sure it's been that way for a LONG time - WAY before the dining plan - although there's no reason an adult pizza can't be purchased for a child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter