• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Warning: New Menus for Kids at Some TS Restaurants

After seeing a copy of the new menu posted, I again contacted Disney Dining. They still have no knowledge of this new menu and keep telling me that this is probably only a trial, since they don't know about it. I was polite, but kept saying that people are planning the DDP and restaurant selections based on currently available menus and if this is new and Dining has no information to give to customers, then people are going to be shocked and upset.

She gave me guest relations email address so I'm going to send something there to see if I can get anyone in "authority" to answer this question. And I will state that I am unhappy with the new choices that seem to be appearing, including the price increase that forces one to take appies and desserts they do not choose. I'll see what response, if any, I get and I'll post it upon receipt.

janets said:
After seeing a copy of the new menu posted, I again contacted Disney Dining. They still have no knowledge of this new menu and keep telling me that this is probably only a trial, since they don't know about it. I was polite, but kept saying that people are planning the DDP and restaurant selections based on currently available menus and if this is new and Dining has no information to give to customers, then people are going to be shocked and upset.

She gave me guest relations email address so I'm going to send something there to see if I can get anyone in "authority" to answer this question. And I will state that I am unhappy with the new choices that seem to be appearing, including the price increase that forces one to take appies and desserts they do not choose. I'll see what response, if any, I get and I'll post it upon receipt.

Let us know how you make out. Our trip is in 2 weeks and we do have lunch ADR's for LTT and CR. Our other ressies look ok; for now.

Moderators: Is it possible to link this thread and the one that is posted on the regular restaurant forum? Looking at my User CP, it's starting to get quite difficult trying to remember which one I have posted in. Thanks :thumbsup2

SGB - as to your child with lactose intolerance. You should be able to ask the server if there are any options available (like a pbj) that isn't on the menu. While this particular example doesn't help b/c its grilled cheese it does serve as a general example - a few people have reported ordering a grilled cheese for their child even though it wasn't on the menu either with an old menu or from a restaurant with the new menu, some on DDP, some not. You may even want to talk to someone in dining about her allergy and perhaps they can provide you with other alternatives before you go.

kidsgobears said:
No doubt. I wouldn't be surprised to find that CMs post as well (maybe even try to convince us that this menu change is a good thing ;) ).
Yes, CMs do post - and Disney generally knows who they are. To the best of my knowledge, there's no way to be a Disney Cast Member and live in Massachusetts at the same time, so, no, I'm not a CM - just a reasonable person ;)

She gave me guest relations email address so I'm going to send something there to see if I can get anyone in "authority" to answer this question. And I will state that I am unhappy with the new choices that seem to be appearing, including the price increase that forces one to take appies and desserts they do not choose.
But before, a lot of potential Dining Plan users were complaining because there weren't any appetizers on the kids menu! If you have the DDP, your meal includes appetizer, entree, dessert, and non-alcoholic beverage. People were complaining because the kids menus didn't have any appetizers. In the immortal words of :sad: Ricky Nelson: "You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself".

kaytieeldr said:
But before, a lot of potential Dining Plan users were complaining because there weren't any appetizers on the kids menu! If you have the DDP, your meal includes appetizer, entree, dessert, and non-alcoholic beverage. People were complaining because the kids menus didn't have any appetizers. In the immortal words of :sad: Ricky Nelson: "You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself".

I just think it's unreasonable at TS to have a set appetizer, entree and dessert. It's not like that at regular restaurants outside Disney.

Why should you have to have salad and not apples if you pick the pizza EVERYWHERE you go? Or want the grilled chicken but like the dessert that comes with the pizza. Adults would hate that type of restriction, why should kids enjoy it, especially on vacation LOL

At CS you get to mix and match, why should TS, which costs more, be more restrictive and less appealing? As someone who just lived it for 10 days, I would stick to CS except at places where the kids had options or could eat within the theme (buffets, ethic restaurants at EPCOT).

kaytieeldr said:
non-alcoholic beverage. People were complaining because the kids menus didn't have any appetizers. In the immortal words of :sad: Ricky Nelson: "You can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself".

Kids still aren't really getting an appetizer with these new meals. I guarantee you that when they show up with the adults appetizers the kids aren't getting the shredded veggies off the pizza plate nor are they getting the apples at dessert time.

As much as I'm bothered by the food I'm also bothered by the fact that kids are getting protein/fruit/veggie at 1 time and told it is app/meal/dessert and then they are having to sit for long periods of time while the rest of the family eats 3 actual courses. I know we'll end up purchasing extra food (we did before with the DDP) but I resent being told my kid is getting 3 courses when they are now only being served 1. I'm sure the servers won't be too willing to spread out the meals either.

Right now while it's new it sounds like some accomodations are being made and they stil have some other foods left but as time goes by I wouldn't count on it.

Yvonne

I see alot of people say just don't do the dining plan or just pay for your kids dessert out of pocket and I don't think they are getting the point. The biggest problem is some people who booked the dining plan are now so close that there would be a fee for changing. We booked the dining plan based on what was on the menu for children why should I have to pay oop for my kids dessert when I already paid for a childs meal that was supposed to allow them the dessert they wanted. Also I used a discount code for my package that included dining so I doubt that could be changed anyway without losing my discount.

We are going down in December. DD is 3 and very fussy. I do not think we will have any trouble with this as she does not like MEAT, BREAD or FISH. She lives on buttered noodles, pasta, salad, fruits, veggies and yogurt and cheese. I figured she would not eat much anyway and would be eating veggies off my plate. I am sad that Disney felt the need to put this new menu into effect. I am glad older DD and DS are listed as adults and can eat what they choose from the dining plan.

kaytieeldr said:

I have to disagree. In many places where there wasn't a kids appetizer, you were allowed to choose and adult appetizer. Now at times, many didn't appeal to my older ds. Some did, like the lobster bisque at Coral Reef. It was also an appetizer on their kids menu when we were there in September. He loved it.

Now they have created these preplated meals (at least from the picture it appears that way) matching certain items and the reports indicate that it is difficult to substitute items. While my ds8 has informed me that he will probably be okay, I'm not. I think he's being shortchanged and is being treated like he should just eat whatever he's told. I wouldn't so why should he?

If I am willing to pay more money to stay on site, which means that I'm more likely to eat all of our TS meals on property, I resent being limited (at least to some extent) on the items I can choose for my child. If this is a cost issue, then raise the price of the dining plan for kids rather than give them these limited, icky choices. And while many people say that I should choose buffets which offer a variety of choices for everyone, I frankly don't usually like buffets. I hate being herded on a line for my food and have to take it from a communal container, touching utensils that have been handled by others (and w/o sounding rude, I have no idea about anyone else's hygiene practices). I like the atmosphere of sit down restaurants, having my meal brought to me. I do some buffets (notably Boma) but I don't want that to have to become our staple for 7 nights.

I'm hoping that the fact that we're hearing from Disney Dining and Central Reservations (as well as Guest Relations) that no one knows about this new menu, it means that it's in a trial phase and they are "testing the waters" so to speak.

I know that you can't please everyone, but frankly, limiting kids under 10 to these 5 or so meals and raising the price, I'm unhappy. And if I was not on the DDP, I would really be upset, since it appears that the "a la carte" menu is really also a prix fix meal, since you pay a flat rate for the three items. You cannot skip the appetizer and pay a lesser amount. So you pay for something that your kid will not eat. The way the menus are now, you can opt for an entree only and pay for it (we did this recently at LeCellier, ordering ds4 a hotdog only since he had eaten a CS meal shortly before). The way these new menus appear, that is no longer an option. So I see problems with the menu from both sides of the fence.

Wow, I'm liking this even less the more I read. We have a 2 1/2 yr old right now and one on the way. Our Ds has been to Disney twice and we sometimes share and sometimes he gets his own. That seems to be a pretty steep price to pay for the youngest Disney goers who will not come close to eating all that food. A main entre would be more than enough. We aren't DDP users (except this last trip, and won't be again) and it sounds like the cost of feeding the kids will be going up w/ a lot less selection for the pickiest eaters. Maybe I'm looking at wrong, but I'm not thrilled about these changes. I'm just glad we like the family style places and buffet's.

disneynewbee said:
I see alot of people say just don't do the dining plan or just pay for your kids dessert out of pocket and I don't think they are getting the point. The biggest problem is some people who booked the dining plan are now so close that there would be a fee for changing. We booked the dining plan based on what was on the menu for children why should I have to pay oop for my kids dessert when I already paid for a childs meal that was supposed to allow them the dessert they wanted. Also I used a discount code for my package that included dining so I doubt that could be changed anyway without losing my discount.

My exact situation.

A sidenote, I was speaking to CRO today (still trying to get into POFQ!) and they asked the typical "do you need to make any more ADR's", and I said I was all set but if they'd like to transfer me over, I have some questions about some children's menu changes" and the CM, who I had been having an uproarous conversation with so this was not untoward or out of sorts, said "oh, you want to chew them out too?" as she laughed. She said she'd looked into it as best she could over the past few days and info on the phone end was still pretty spotty and she actually recommended that I call the dining establishments directly, especially if the menu changes were going to affect allergies or anything. They weren't, so since she acknowledged that there were changes but they were a bit out of it on what, that was fine enough for me and I thanked her and said I didn't need to be transferred.

DCDisney said:
Kids still aren't really getting an appetizer with these new meals. I guarantee you that when they show up with the adults appetizers the kids aren't getting the shredded veggies off the pizza plate nor are they getting the apples at dessert time.
What kids are getting (carrots or shredded vegetables) and what the same kids are eating (the apps the adults order) are two entirely different things.
janets said:
(and w/o sounding rude, I have no idea about anyone else's hygiene practices).
True. You could bring disposable gloves and use one whenever you go to get food, or you could bring antibacterial gel or wipes and use that before you eat.

Well said DCDisney,DisneyNewbee and JanetS! :thumbsup2

We leave in 30 days and I doubt we'll avoid these new changes. It is frustrating because we can only afford to go once in a while - our last trip was 5 years ago and we've been planning this one for over a year now. We were really looking forward to our TS now that the kids are older and dd8 is a foodie. Disney hypes the DDP as being a great reason to stay onsite and then they do something like this. I felt like I made an informed decision at the time. We read the menus, followed the food pic thread, researched the DDP and made our ADRs ages ago. I know things are subject to change, and I expected a few things would, but this is a bit radical.

We were just there 9/30 through 10/7 and I was thrilled with the kid's options. Previously, DS ended up with chicken nuggets and fries for most meals and he typically never eats those things. He was tired of it. This time, he only had chicken nuggets once (at counter service) and never once had fries. He did end up eating more grapes than you'd think he'd ever see in his life, but I'd rather him have grapes at every meal than fries.

I was pleasantly surprised at the Prime Time Cafe menu. DS had grilled chicken strips with sweet potato sticks and a yogurt parfait with strawberries. He was in heaven. And then he shared my super huge dessert with me.

Overall, I was really pleased with the variety of options available for him. Other than fixed menu places, we ate at Rose and Crown, Prime Time Cafe, Nine Dragons, and Le Cellier. All the counter service kids meals default to carrots, applesauce, or grapes now. You have to specifically substitute if you want fries. I think that's great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter