Walking or running shoes? Which is better?

MaC410

DIS Veteran
Our first trip to disney world ended with my wife and I having aching feet and some blisters. We would like to make sure to do anything we can to prevent that from happening again. We are opening to closing park commando type people. We had some of those gel insert things on our first trip but obviously those didn't help too much. I'd like to get some new pairs of sneakers for our next trip but not sure where to start. Would walking or running shoes be better?

For DH and I we prefer running shoes and we add orthotic inserts for arch support as we both have higher arches. The gel inserts will disperse the impact of walking to a degree however do not add any additional arch or structural support. Try to break in your new sneakers prior to your trip which can help with blisters and rubbing. We also switch between running shoes and good supportive walking sandals (like Keen or Teva, etc) in order to allow our feet to breath a bit in the Florida heat. We have had very good luck with not suffering from blisters in all of our trips. Hope you have a great time on your next trip!

Head to your local running shop and tell them what you will be wearing them for. They will fit you for the best pair for your feet and your walking style

As someone who dealt with plantar fasciitis, so much this. The best thing I ever did to heal and ultimately prevent a re-injury was get fitted for proper shoes and inserts.

My feet swell almost instantly in the heat so sneakers are uncomfortable for touring at that time of year. I like walking sandals and Fitflops (I'm a lady) for long, hot days. Bring moleskin, that you've precut, for any hotspots that begin. Put it on the minute you feel a spot starting to get sensitive!

During our cool weather trips I liked my Brooks running shoe. It was a design that helped relieve pain from my plantar fasciitis. The wide toe box was more comfortable for me because standing most of the day and salty food at the parks also lead to swollen feet.

Switching shoes is very good advice!

We generally wear Keen's sandals our whole trip, but we also bring sneakers to switch off with when our feet need a break. That seems to work out well for us.

I've seen Sketcher's Go Walks mentioned a bunch of times by people around these boards. I've looked them up but I just couldn't imagine walking around in something like that for like 15 hours. They look like slippers. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they actually that good?

As one who has also suffered with disabling blisters at WDW, I agree with rotating different pairs of shoes (I always bring two pairs, sometimes three) and also with wearing walking/hiking sandals (I love my Keens!) when it's hot. If not sandals, I wear well-fitting walking shoes and absorbent, wicking walking socks (Thorlo and SmartWool are my favorites). It took a while but I finally figured out that my feet sweat a lot, and my blisters are caused by wrinkled wet socks. I've been known to change socks in the middle of the day - and sometimes I've changed shoes too. No more blisters!

I've seen Sketcher's Go Walks mentioned a bunch of times by people around these boards. I've looked them up but I just couldn't imagine walking around in something like that for like 15 hours. They look like slippers. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they actually that good?
My experience with Sketchers are that they feel like slippers when you put them on. Very soft and cushiony plus it's light in weight. The only thing in my experience is that that comfy feeling only lasts for about 6 weeks. So the sneaker may still look good but the comfort isn't there.

Head to your local running shop and tell them what you will be wearing them for. They will fit you for the best pair for your feet and your walking style

This is what I'd recommend. Everyone's feet are different and shoe comfort will depend a lot on foot form, etc... My feet are flat as a duck, so a shoe with a high arch support is actually quite painful for me. Get fitted for something that's a match to your foot.

Personally, I sweat a lot, so I don't wear sneakers of any kind to WDW. I wear sandals, the ones that strap across the back and over the top. For me, it's so much better than wearing stinky, sweaty socks and sneakers. The flat bottom of the sandals fit my flat foot anyhow.

I've owned four pairs. 2 styles were a total miss. Too tight, too rigid on the top. Perhaps they just ran small on the sizing but it was not a good feeling on day three. The "soft sock" style on Amazon is the one I really like but not great for afternoon rain storms. I prefer Teva sandals, with straps on the back and top of the foot. I suggest anything adjustable, be it sandal or sneaker, because thanks to the salty foods, heat, and walking your feet will swell. Spend some time in some athletic or even outdoor focused stores and see what works for you. It still may be a shot in the dark but don't be me and order things online! It's only good if you know the shoe type and style already.

Yep, I agree with rotating shoes and it just depends on your foot type. I wear sandals/flip flops most trips. I have very high arches and bad big toes so tennis shoes tend to hurt my toes after a while. I wear Clarks Flip Flops https://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens...lection/breeze-mila-navy-synthetic/p/26125500 they have enough padding and you can adjust the strap which helps when my feet swell. I also wear a teva type sandal similar to this (it's not teva brand) http://www.teva.com/women-sandals/v...6263S2_color=BNGC#start=25&cgid=women-sandals again adjustable strap and lots of support. I also take a pair of generic that look a little like birkenstocks that I have worn in so well that my toe prints are ingrained, which embarrasses the heck out of my son.

I wear Keens sandals,broken in, trade shoes daily, and then for extra protection, ankle socks. I won't win any fashion awards, but I don't get blisters. :)

Yep, I agree with rotating shoes and it just depends on your foot type. I wear sandals/flip flops most trips. I have very high arches and bad big toes so tennis shoes tend to hurt my toes after a while. I wear Clarks Flip Flops https://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens...lection/breeze-mila-navy-synthetic/p/26125500 they have enough padding and you can adjust the strap which helps when my feet swell. I also wear a teva type sandal similar to this (it's not teva brand) http://www.teva.com/women-sandals/v...6263S2_color=BNGC#start=25&cgid=women-sandals again adjustable strap and lots of support. I also take a pair of generic that look a little like birkenstocks that I have worn in so well that my toe prints are ingrained, which embarrasses the heck out of my son.
Ha!! Tell your son ALL suede footbeds do that...it's a "feature." ;) Try on the Skechers GoWalk flip flops some time. They are insanely ugly, have a white sole (which i detest), and I STILL walked out with a pair! Oooooh squissssssshy........

Lifetime of arthritis with severe issues with knees. Shoes make or break my day even in daily life. For decades I wore supportive running shoes to the parks. When Go Walk came out I figured I would try and expected to last half a day. I was shocked I walked for days with no issues. I now probably own about 15 pair in all different colors. They are light, the have a nice cushion to bottom and they dry fast if they get wet. I wear with and without socks depending on weather.

I pack several pairs and swap off days. As PP mentioned, it's best to switch your shoes every day so that the cushion in sole can return to it's shape for best support.

And to PP who talked about moleskin, it's great but I found a thinner version on a roll tape I place in my bag. Last trip friend's foot got awful blister, I whipped it out, she tore off a few pieces to protect that area and she was good to go rest of day.

Let me tell ya, I have had a lot of trouble and I have tried them all. Get a pair of Hoka One One running shoes and thank me later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter