Walking or running shoes? Which is better?

Something not brand new, but not too old, either. If they're too old, the cushioning has worn out, and the bottoms are too worn, making for aching feet. I usually bring a pair of sneakers (I prefer cross trainers), a pair of crocs flip flops, and a pair of Tevas.

Head to your local running shop and tell them what you will be wearing them for. They will fit you for the best pair for your feet and your walking style
This! This is what I did a month before our last trip and no problems whatsoever with my new Brooks! I also rotated between those and my Teva sandals. good luck!!:teeth:

I go to my running store and tell them what I need...this time it was for walking distances to get ready for a 5k this fall. I have never found a shoe that feels so good when on my feet all day!!! So, those go with me, and my GoWalks. High arches here....I've been told by different people (ortho types) that I need as soft and cushy a shoe as possible. My high arches are doing all the work, and I don't have a ton of foot that is actually hitting the shoe..so it needs to be soft and cushiony in order to absorb the impact. That's why Crocs felt so good!!! Who knew!

I've seen Sketcher's Go Walks mentioned a bunch of times by people around these boards. I've looked them up but I just couldn't imagine walking around in something like that for like 15 hours. They look like slippers. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they actually that good?

love them! I wear these on all vacations (NYC, DC, Disney). You don't have to break them in either. I spray my feet with aerosol deoderant before wearing. :) I can wear them all day and my feet will not hurt.

PS - this is what my cleaning lady uses as well as my hair stylist and is on her feet all day. Love!

I like to pack an extra pair of sneakers with me and alternate which pair i wear each day. i typically have an old pair of running sneakers that are still fine for walking around all day but i wouldn't run in them that i use for this. it helps keeps your feet fresh i think, also helps incase one pair gets wet on rides or by rain.

I think the biggest thing is ROTATE, ROTATE, ROTATE! Also, invest in some good socks that pull away moisture. Even if your feet sweat a small amount they can make hot spots. I usually try to alternate Teva sandals & my running Nike tennis shoes.

Like so many other things in life, there is not a one-size fits all solution. As others mentioned, go to a running store and tell them what you will be using them for. A good place will put you on a treadmill, and may even film you walking to determine your what kind of support you need. But try them out before you get there. I don't understand the rotate mantra, I have never had any issues wearing the same shoes all week at Disney, but if it works for some, great. My feet sweat a lot, so I make sure and get shoes that are very breathable with lots of mesh. My biggest issue was my pinkie toe rubbing on the inside. I guess my little guys curl slightly toward the inside and end up slightly under the next toe. This was solved with toe socks, the ones that look like gloves for your feet. These make sure there is no skin on skin contact anywhere on my feet. I now wear these anytime I am going to be doing any walking and I haven't had a problem since.

My point, get shoes that fit and test them out ahead of time (broken in, not worn out) and make sure you are addressing your specific needs - everyone is different.

For hot weather trips and trips where it is likely to rain in the afternoon, I would never trade my keen sandles. Nothing is worse than wet shoes (well maybe wet panties but that is a different thread).

My first trip to WDW I bought a pair of running shoes, best purchase I ever made. Nike air max are the shoes I swear by. We were there for 10 days in our feet all day and not only did I not get blisters but my feet didn't hurt. They're kind of pricy but worth every Penney.

Lose the sneakers and go with quality sandals. Wet feet from water rides and/or sweat, even with wicking socks can lead to major blisters. I shudder about the time some friends bullied me into wearing tennis shoes (with wicking socks) and I got blisters under my toes that went the entire width of my foot. I showed those guys I knew what was up - and everyone of them had blisters too. My relative smugness did not make up for the blisters, but man, my sandals felt great that evening. For women, there are some amazing jelly shoes on the market, which are amazing at WDW. Melissa is a great brand and if you want to go up market Stewart Wietzman also makes some great ones.

Oh - and I never wear the same pair in the morning and evening and never 2 days in a row.

Lose the sneakers and go with quality sandals. Wet feet from water rides and/or sweat, even with wicking socks can lead to major blisters. I shudder about the time some friends bullied me into wearing tennis shoes (with wicking socks) and I got blisters under my toes that went the entire width of my foot. I showed those guys I knew what was up - and everyone of them had blisters too. My relative smugness did not make up for the blisters, but man, my sandals felt great that evening. For women, there are some amazing jelly shoes on the market, which are amazing at WDW. Melissa is a great brand and if you want to go up market Stewart Wietzman also makes some great ones.

That's great and all and I love wearing my sandals, but when it's 40 degrees there in Jan, sandals aren't really an option lol! And believe me, I tried my hardest haha!

That's great and all and I love wearing my sandals, but when it's 40 degrees there in Jan, sandals aren't really an option lol! And believe me, I tried my hardest haha!

Lol - I guess not. You're probably not riding wet rides, and having sweaty socks either:)

I have done some of the colder weather trips - and let's just say me and my Tieks - we spent a lot of quality time together. Not ashamed - I may or may not have worn leg warmers at Disney before, and it was not in the 80s.

I've seen Sketcher's Go Walks mentioned a bunch of times by people around these boards. I've looked them up but I just couldn't imagine walking around in something like that for like 15 hours. They look like slippers. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they actually that good?

I work as a kindergarten classroom aide. Between work and daily life I average 12-19,000 steps a day. I used to swear by Brooks but would wear holes in them within a few months. I switched to Skechers Go Walks about two months ago and I am sold. First, I'm able to buy about 3 pairs for what one pair of Brooks cost me. Second, they are insanely comfortable. My feet never hurt at the end of the day.

I love them and will likely be grabbing another pair from the Orlando airport when we go in a couple weeks since we don't have a Skechers store nearby.

I have such problems with sneakers. My feet are wide and it is hard for me to find comfortable shoes for anything. I had a pair of New Balance walking sneakers on my last trip and I had the moisture wicking socks (or whatever they are called) and I got the biggest blister on the bottom of my foot on our last day. Wore them again during another trip and the same thing happened.

I have thought about doing sandals but my feet tend to swell when I walk in them all day. It is just hard for me to find good shoes...

SOCKS!!! It's all about the socks. You can't wear cheap cotton socks.

Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. Walking/ running doesn't matter if they fit you right.

They will also have socks. Buy them!!! Yes they are expensive ($12-18) but they make all the difference in the world. I like Feetures. Those socks changed my life. No more blisters!!!!

I have very narrow feet, high arches and I pronate when I walk. If I don't have arch good support my KNEES kill me from the pronation (on top of any blisters that may try to start). I usually bring 2 pairs of sneakers and 2-3 pairs of sandals (Olukai and Teva). I found the Olukai brand at an orthopedic shoe store (my feet are so narrow I had to get one pair of my Olukai flip flops custom fit)! They have amazing support tho. No, they are not "cushy" - they actually have support. I also try to rotate between shoes and sandals. We usually take an afternoon break and I sometimes switch from sneakers to sandals when we head back out as my feet start to swell throughout the day - especially during summer trips. Once they are swollen I can't do tennis shoes. And of course I bring blister block, blister band-aids and moleskin. With my tennis shoes I can't wear the super short "no-show" socks either or I get blisters. I have to wear regular "footie" style socks which do show just a wee bit but they don't rub on my heel.

Lol - I guess not. You're probably not riding wet rides, and having sweaty socks either:)

I have done some of the colder weather trips - and let's just say me and my Tieks - we spent a lot of quality time together. Not ashamed - I may or may not have worn leg warmers at Disney before, and it was not in the 80s.

I've gone all times of the year so I know the wet/sweaty socks thing. I wear socks year round there that are wicking and work b/c I have had sweaty socks in the past and they are horrible/cause bad blisters. I'm from up north and thought the 50s weren't going to be bad in FL, boy was I wrong! LOL I was freezing more than I do up here! :laughing:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter