VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

KAT, thanks in bunches for all your help and advise in helping us prepare for this trip. You and Cheer4Bison have given us some great info over the last few months in helping us get ready! One more question, room views? We have a one bedroom ocean view, anything in particular we should ask for?

You're welcome Jimmy! We've booked 3 OV rooms at Aulani (2 for us and 1 for my nephews honeymoon) and my request has been high floor over looking Waikolohe valley. That will keep you away from the ocean view rooms that look towards the 4 seasons. This was our 1BR in 2012 - room 1406:

p1493668964-4.jpg

WDW News Today posted this nice video on VWL/Copper Creek construction:

The work on the pool is definitely moving along as is the work on the cabins closest to VWL. Are those chimney's appearing on the cabins? If so are fireplaces going in?

WDW News Today posted this nice video on VWL/Copper Creek construction:

The work on the pool is definitely moving along as is the work on the cabins closest to VWL. Are those chimney's appearing on the cabins? If so are fireplaces going in?

Kathy...thanks so much for posting this. I hadn't seen anything in a few weeks and this is the most definitive video I've seen. Lots of progress, so who knows when they will wrap this up? It's not like they have construction weather delays during the winter months like they do up north. :)

I am not a construction expert but I do think those look like chimney flues coming out of the roofs. What a smart idea...fits in perfectly with the theming, doesn't really cost all that much to install, and adds a big "WOW" moment to the selling points. I think these cabins are going to be quite beautiful inside (as are the Poly Bungalows). Add a porch with a couple of rocking chairs on the Bay Lake side and you've got a great concept!

As for the pool, I don't know if anyone can tell at this point but it doesn't show any zero gravity feature. I'm shocked if they don't include this as it seems to be a very popular feature and one that they didn't put into the main pool. But it may be coming and I just don't see it?

By the way, I thought the video was great except for the choice of music. I think bluegrass music is more of a FW fit, while the majestic sounds of the WL music (Aaron Copland) would have been a much better fit for video. How's that for nit picking? :)

Last edited:

I agree with the music choice--much more FW than WL-esque. Aaron Copland would have been a much better choice. As for the chimneys, it does appear as if that's what those are, though I'm surprised they'd make such an addition. Likely, I'll never see them in person except on a tour. I think either end of the pool could still be zero entry, but what I'm most curios about are the pipes sticking up throughout the footprint of the new pool. Are those typical or could they perhaps, just maybe, be air pipes for bubbling springs? I'd be thrilled if that was the case as I always felt the "springs" in the Hidden Springs pool were a cool and unique feature. Thanks for the video, KAT!

Kathy...thanks so much for posting this. I hadn't seen anything in a few weeks and this is the most definitive video I've seen. Lots of progress, so who knows when they will wrap this up? It's not like they have construction weather delays during the winter months like they do up north. :)

I am not a construction expert but I do think those look like chimney flues coming out of the roofs. What a smart idea...fits in perfectly with the theming, doesn't really cost all that much to install, and adds a big "WOW" moment to the selling points. I think these cabins are going to be quite beautiful inside (as are the Poly Bungalows). Add a porch with a couple of rocking chairs on the Bay Lake side and you've got a great concept!

As for the pool, I don't know if anyone can tell at this point but it doesn't show any zero gravity feature. I'm shocked if they don't include this as it seems to be a very popular feature and one that they didn't put into the main pool. But it may be coming and I just don't see it?

By the way, I thought the video was great except for the choice of music. I think bluegrass music is more of a FW fit, while the majestic sounds of the WL music (Aaron Copland) would have been a much better fit for video. How's that for nit picking? :)

Definitely not the best representative music Granny! But they did a pretty good job looking around so I guess a pass can be given. :goodvibes

I'm wondering if the zero entry will be in that center area? It seems to jog out a bit there although it's not definitely clear that it will be. Without a zero entry at the main pool I'd bet good money that they will have it here.

I can be a sucker for a fireplace - wasn't thinking that might show up.

I agree with the music choice--much more FW than WL-esque. Aaron Copland would have been a much better choice. As for the chimneys, it does appear as if that's what those are, though I'm surprised they'd make such an addition. Likely, I'll never see them in person except on a tour. I think either end of the pool could still be zero entry, but what I'm most curios about are the pipes sticking up throughout the footprint of the new pool. Are those typical or could they perhaps, just maybe, be air pipes for bubbling springs? I'd be thrilled if that was the case as I always felt the "springs" in the Hidden Springs pool were a cool and unique feature. Thanks for the video, KAT!

I wonder about those pipes too. It's going to be closer to a geyser if alll those pipes are "springs" though! I'm with you and definitely hoping that feature is included again. ::yes::

Thanks for the video KAT! I am not keen on the music either but maybe the videographer felt the need that the cabins were more in line with a bunch of hicks, rather than those amongst us VWL groupies who are more refined than that and prefer the majesty of the Lodge and Villas:D
I do believe those are chimneys, from a carpenters perspective

I am wondering if they are "real" or "fake" chimneys ?

Around here almost all fireplaces are natural gas. Some builders just have the metal vent stack required for it, while others will have that put then put a fake chimney around it so it has the "look" of a chimney.

While having a chimney suggests a fireplace, it would be any kind of fireplace, including electric and the chimney is purely cosmetic to add to the theming.

SW

I am wondering if they are "real" or "fake" chimneys ?

Around here almost all fireplaces are natural gas. Some builders just have the metal vent stack required for it, while others will have that put then put a fake chimney around it so it has the "look" of a chimney.

While having a chimney suggests a fireplace, it would be any kind of fireplace, including electric and the chimney is purely cosmetic to add to the theming.

SW
Welcome, Starwind! I agree that they're most likely going to be faux fireplaces and wind up being electric "gizmos." I could be totally wrong, but I can't see DVC adding anything that would produce a real flame in an enclosed space.

And on a totally different note, I am extremely bummed about news that popped up on a feed of mine. Seriously?! What's next, a pantsuit wearing Ariel?
https://www.yahoo.com/style/jasmine-just-got-most-drastic-190853291.html

Thanks for the video KAT! I am not keen on the music either but maybe the videographer felt the need that the cabins were more in line with a bunch of hicks, rather than those amongst us VWL groupies who are more refined than that and prefer the majesty of the Lodge and Villas:D
I do believe those are chimneys, from a carpenters perspective

Jimmy...I think you nailed it on the "cabin hicks"! :rotfl2:

Thanks for the confirmation of chimneys.

Welcome, Starwind! I agree that they're most likely going to be faux fireplaces and wind up being electric "gizmos." I could be totally wrong, but I can't see DVC adding anything that would produce a real flame in an enclosed space.

You're probably right, Sleepy. Though I think the lobby fireplaces have a gas flame, don't they? Seems to me that if they put a non-removable glass front on it, they could easily have a gas fireplace in the cabins. I agree that I'll never see it unless I go on a tour.

And on a totally different note, I am extremely bummed about news that popped up on a feed of mine. Seriously?! What's next, a pantsuit wearing Ariel?
https://www.yahoo.com/style/jasmine-just-got-most-drastic-190853291.html

Oh no, they killed the "I Dream of Jeannie" look? I hate to say it, but it looks like it is moving closer to Elsa's look. Frozen is taking over the World!!! :eek:

You're probably right, Sleepy. Though I think the lobby fireplaces have a gas flame, don't they? Seems to me that if they put a non-removable glass front on it, they could easily have a gas fireplace in the cabins. I agree that I'll never see it unless I go on a tour.

Oh no, they killed the "I Dream of Jeannie" look? I hate to say it, but it looks like it is moving closer to Elsa's look. Frozen is taking over the World!!! :eek:
True enough about the lobby fireplaces and the possibility of them doing it in the cabins (in fact, I think they'd look great there), but I guess my thoughts run to why include an explosive gas outlet in cabins? The lobbies do have them but can be easily monitored and have lots of open air. Still, it's quite possible they could put them in, though as you say, I'll never see them except on tour.

As for Jasmine, she has always been my favorite princess (not based on personality :rolleyes1), and I don't understand the change. Sigh.

The other danger of gas fireplaces is they get hot. If you thought the exterior of the door of an oven was hot, it has NOTHING on the sealed glass front of the natural gas fireplace we have in our home. We are fortunate we don't have kids, but if we did that would be a serious concern. Even when just the pilot is on it gets pretty hot to the touch. The mantle around the thing also gets hot (thought not burn-hot) when the fireplace is actively on.

Between something that could leak or go kaboom to the burn danger, I am thinking if they do put a fireplace in it will be some electric thing that perhaps won't even generate much or any heat but be more for the look and feel. Besides, most of the year there wouldn't be a functional use for something with heat.

Whatever they do, we are hoping they are finished by our December 2017 trip. We haven't decided if we will be in the hotel or the villas yet, but I was thinking if the presumed-villas in the current hotel are finished and available we would like to try one of those :-) WL is our favourite resort and we stay there every trip we take to WDW (sometimes in a split stay so we can try another resort).

Sleepydog25: thanks for the welcome :-)

SW

I totally get that some may feel that Jasmine's previous top was a bit revealing. It was basically a bikini top after all. Apparently there were complaints. But talking about going overboard on the re-design. There are plenty of levels between bikini top and long sleeves. And in FL heat? Odd, odd choice ...

I enjoyed the video as well. It has been a little while since I had seen anything this definitive regarding the exteNot of the construction. Haven't seen much on Humphrey's page either for a while.
Yes, those are chimney structures going in on top of the roofs. Based on the lack of any other piping or any other type of conduit, these will be faux chimney stacks. I guess if you think about it, a typical rustic log type cabin in the woods normally does have a fireplace and chimney.
From a Risk Management perspective, the liability of having a real gas-type enclosed fireplace is still too risky, more risky with children, of course. So there will not be a legitimate fireplace in the cabins.
Now the video and pictures also show a reasonably decent roof overhang out what I call the front of the cabin (facing the water). It would appear that this would likely be the porch ' patio area. There is also a small but noticeable overhang out the back as well. Why I mention this is that the roof area is mis-leading as to the actual size of the cabins. I am trying to ascertain whether these will be 2 or 3 bedroom cabins but considering the actual size of the cabin itself (within the 4 walls), it will be no bigger than a 2 bedroom from what I can now see. I do hope that they do create a nice porch area with rocking chairs, etc.
As for the new DVC pool, it does look like a zero entry area is being created on the left side (as you face the lake). What I do not understand is the reason the pipes are showing in the pool when it has not even been dug out yet. The pipes will be in the way of the future digging within the pool itself.....kinda odd to me...

With what is likely the Lodge DVC 2 bedroom being built over at Saratoga Springs and the fact that (at least initially) there has been a filing made for "x" number of villa's (I forgot the number), I am thinking that based on previous timing of pre-sales that Copper Creek could start their pre-sales in the Dec - Feb 2017 time frame. Even with a reasonably decent number of points still available at the Polynesian.

Right now my biggest question is how the progress is coming inside the lodge. Pretty hard to get any real information on that side of things.

Boarding for Dallas in a few then off to Aulani! Will try to post some pics once settled in. I am a bit more savvy with the new IPhone with pictures and such so will do my best to share

Boarding for Dallas in a few then off to Aulani! Will try to post some pics once settled in. I am a bit more savvy with the new IPhone with pictures and such so will do my best to share

Have an amazing time Jimmy & Tammy! We like pictures! :daisy::flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter