VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

KAT, really enjoying the shots of VWL. The snake, glad he didnt get in the stalls:eek:that could have been hysteria!!

Greg, I wonder if DVC isnt snapping up those resales with ROFR. Plus VWL being so small, I have always noticed fewer resales in general over the years. You should be able to get a contract for around 80-85 per pt. We bought BWV for Timeshare Store and had great exp. with them.

Happy Tuesday Gang,

Whew, just back from 12 days at the world. I don't think I've been this tired in my life, lol. Celebrated the 100ths birthday of my oldest Aunt. 18 of my nearest and some times not so dearest relatives.

Time for an award ceremony....

Award for the best improved Disney's mid level table service restaurants. Generally we don't eat a lot on site, the quality of the food had declined precipitously over the years but this trip we had a number of surprisingly good meals. some standouts, Big river grille on the Boardwalk and Tuttio Italia were, dare I say excellent. Paradiso 57 in DTD was great also. here's hoping this trend continues.

Best line from a cm Goes to Joe at test track. Once we got to the front of the line, poor Joe had the misfortune of asking us "how many" to which we replied... 18. He just looked at us and said "Why?". lol since this was day 5 we were asking the same thing.

and you think you'd know by now award or sheer stupidity award goes to Yours truly, me. for some reason either I forgot how strong florida sun can be or I thought because I'm brown skinned that I wouldn't need sun screen.... Mother nature quickly rectified that train of thought with a case of sunburn across my shoulders ouch!!

Good news/bad news award WL is not the only place getting a face lift, there is major construction every where. DTD is one big construction site, we stayed at the Boardwalk this trip and the inside was being painted and repaired. AK has barracades up all over the place. It really looks like when all is said and done, Disney is going to be a good looking gal.

Most over hyped new place. This one is purely subjective but it goes to Breakfast at BOG. 100 bucks for a family of 4 and basically you get an pastry, a tablespoon of eggs and a drink. We went with the women folk in the family and it was a good thing, my sons would have inhaled the food and been hungry in 20 minutes. You are paying to eat in Beasts castle. one of those things where you try once but don't need to return.

Welcome addition Frozen fireworks in HS. the only bad thing about this is that you can't do the fireworks and fantasmic on the same night. They were really pretty and the little bit with the "frozen" characters were enjoyable.

Last edited:
Greg, I wonder if DVC isnt snapping up those resales with ROFR. Plus VWL being so small, I have always noticed fewer resales in general over the years. You should be able to get a contract for around 80-85 per pt. We bought BWV for Timeshare Store and had great exp. with them.

We have done three deals in the resale market. The first was 150 points, then went back for fifty more as they were not enough. Then we decided Christmas at VWL would be nice so we found a third contract for another 150 points. All of them was with Timeshare Store, and I was very happy with everyone. They were professional, fast and efficient with no surprises and any of the closings. I recommend them.

I suppose the mouse could be grabbing them up for higher sale price in the direct market. However, it seems like nothing is even being listed. Wouldn't one see them shown under new listings for a day or so before they disappeared? I was asking originally to see if others thought that maybe people are holding them in hopes the price would rise in the near future. If they are going to rise I am curious as to how high? Maybe I dump one of my contracts at a profit and buy more points at OKW or SSR.

We have done three deals in the resale market. The first was 150 points, then went back for fifty more as they were not enough. Then we decided Christmas at VWL would be nice so we found a third contract for another 150 points. All of them was with Timeshare Store, and I was very happy with everyone. They were professional, fast and efficient with no surprises and any of the closings. I recommend them.

I suppose the mouse could be grabbing them up for higher sale price in the direct market. However, it seems like nothing is even being listed. Wouldn't one see them shown under new listings for a day or so before they disappeared? I was asking originally to see if others thought that maybe people are holding them in hopes the price would rise in the near future. If they are going to rise I am curious as to how high? Maybe I dump one of my contracts at a profit and buy more points at OKW or SSR.
I believe the owners holding out on selling VWL contracts is the key as I suspect their thinking is the price will go up steeply once construction is done. Of course, the great unknown is what will DVC do in terms of long-term contracts? I can't see them sticking with 2042 as the expiration for new builds/rooms, yet they created great angst and anger among OKW owners when they mishandled the extension there. My completely gut guess is that VWL contracts will be tough to come by for the next year to year and a half when DVC will have to put points out for sale. Then, and likely only then, we'll see what the plan is.

Eliza: Welcome back! Loved your "awards," especially the Test Track one. A close second is the BOG breakfast and the pricing for what you get. Whew. I just noticed elsewhere that DisneyLand is going to offer a Jungle Cruise breakfast where participants get typical breakfast fare, are given "training" on how to be a Jungle Cruise ship captain, and get a special jungle mask, all for the tidy sum of $300. . .per person. I kid you not. :faint:

Since people can call the brokers and ask to be notified if certain contracts become available, often such contracts don't make it to the public listing. The brokers keep their own "waitlist" and let people know if contracts come in that they have requested. Still, it is odd that there are no VWL contracts out there.

For me, the only reason to sell VWL at this point is if you think Disney may "force" a RTU extension on us as some have suggested. There may be a run on resales at that point if people really don't want that (like me). Still, if you want to take the VWL profits and resell it to buy OKW or SSR, that can work too. Clearly SSR should be more given the additional years of use on one of those contracts.

Eliza...great to hear from you again, and thanks for the awards version of a trip report! :)

I agree with BOG being crazy but since it is such a hard reservation to get I don't see them lowering prices or increasing portions. We've had lunch there a couple of times and I thought it was pretty good, but I'm not sorry that BOG is booked solid for our upcoming trip.

As for the construction, I guess I'm getting to an age where I start to wonder how much of the new stuff I'll see. I should (hopefully) be good for another 6 years when much of the construction currently announced should be finished. But anything they start talking about for 2025 or later I don't pay much attention. :)

I hope you all don't mind but I did not plan on doing a full trip report but have amazingly uploaded all my pictures so thought I'd just continue to share some here:

My first time seeing the whole Festival of Fantasy Parade. It was kind of on a whim after walking over to FW and eating lunch at Trail's End (awesome Portobello Mushroom sandwich!) and then the MK boat showed up. I walked in and got a seat on the curb 5 minutes before the parade started over in Frontierland so still a bit of a wait but clouds had come over so it wasn't a terrible wait:

Boat ride
p1451771969-3.jpg

Halloween decorations had magically gone up since my visit on the first night:

p1451772853-3.jpg

Some threatening skies:

p1451773950-3.jpg

p1451779721-3.jpg

A kind of creepy guy - verging on clown creepy!

p1451781775-3.jpg

p1451786596-3.jpg

p1451788357-3.jpg

p1451789107-4.jpg

Nice to see some classic characters:

p1451793131-3.jpg

p1451797393-3.jpg

And a few more Halloween decorations:

p1451866675-3.jpg

p1451871673-3.jpg

p1451873053-3.jpg

p1451878975-4.jpg

p1451887407-3.jpg

There's never been a lot of VWL resale listings. I think with the market being so hot right now that would mean they go faster and then if even just a few who were thinking of selling are hesitating because of the plans that would reduce it more. I personally don't think it's all related to the plans and probably more to do with the resale market popularity at the moment.

... I just noticed elsewhere that DisneyLand is going to offer a Jungle Cruise breakfast where participants get typical breakfast fare, are given "training" on how to be a Jungle Cruise ship captain, and get a special jungle mask, all for the tidy sum of $300. . .per person. I kid you not. :faint:

I saw that Sleepy and still cannot figure out what would make it worth $300! It'll be interesting to see if it is popular or fizzles. However I'm thinking that Disney is once again starting to push and find out what the boundaries are for paid events. I just had a notice of this one on my Facebook feed. It's limited to you and 150 of your closest friends. At $99 a pop we have $15,000 income on a boat that otherwise would just be waiting around for MK closing. But if there's just a couple of you it's cheaper than the private Fireworks cruise:

"Sweeten your night with an exclusive dessert party and magical cruise aboard the iconic General Joe Potter ferryboat, featuring dreams-come-true desserts and dazzling water views of the Wishes Magic Kingdom fireworks spectacular.

ferrytale-wishes-dessert-cruise-01.jpg

Make Dreams Come True in Grand Style
Wish upon a night full of stars, fireworks and magic as you sail the Seven Seas Lagoon in style.
Join us for Ferrytale Wishes, a unique dessert party and fireworks viewing event aboard one of the iconic Magic Kingdom ferry boats (named after a Disney Legend). Enjoy a special voyage featuring decadent sweets, specialty beverages (with and without alcohol—in a special glow glass!) and one-of-a-kind views of the world-famous Wishes Nighttime Spectacular above Magic Kingdom Park. Our specially created dessert menu includes:

• “The Grand” Key Lime Tart
  • Polynesian De-constructed Pineapple Upside Down Cake
  • Contemporary “Traditional with a Twist” Spiced Flourless Chocolate Cake
  • “Main Street” Mickey Balloon Tarts
  • Mini “Fireworks” Cupcakes with a Pop
  • Cinderella’s Sugar Slipper with Orange Financier
  • Florida Mango Panna Cotta

Plus, you can enjoy a refreshing assortment of beverages, including sparkling wine, coffee and our signature punch.

Reservations
Ferrytale Wishes: A Fireworks Dessert Cruise will take place on select nights starting Monday, October 5. Admission is $99 for adults and $69 for children ages 3 to 9 (tax and gratuity included), and includes a take-away Souvenir Palette Plate & Glow Glass."

A kind of creepy guy - verging on clown creepy!

p1451781775-3.jpg

LOL, I guess mimes aren't popular even when they're oversized! That's one of the "bad guys" from Tangled movie. I think its funny but then again clowns never creeped me out.

More great pictures, Kathy! You're getting me pumped up for our trip! :)

Glad you mentioned this.... perhaps I can provide a synopsis.

The WL is going to be close to a total wreck for a good two years.

The good news - the wreck is a moving wreck. THIS year, probably until March or so, the back end of the Villa's will look like Dresden. Good time to request "Parking Lot" views :). Later, as the cabins go in? Walking trail areas, farther removed from the Villa's. will appear to look like major streets in New York....

Now, I say all this NOT to dissuade our group from staying at the VWL - quite the opposite....

People are ABANDONING the WL as fast as they can. I prefer to think of this as a home renovation :). We've done this sort of thing to our primary home.... it's work, it's noisy, but our home IMPROVES. The WL, and the Villas, are no different to us - we are gonna get a bit of a stink, but by damn, we ARE booked for Nov 2015, and April 2016 - and as soon as we can book for Nov 2016, we WILL.

Now - who's with us? :). When all hell breaks loose, and you STILL go to the WLV? Yup - I would refer to you as a groupie :).

Kathy. Those are excellent photos and especially the fireworks shot. Those groupies in WDW or about to go, good for you. Enjoy the last month of our villas the way they are. Wish I was there.

Finished the holiday weekend. I had four days off which was nice. Back to the grind in the morning.

I have been snooping around on resale boards the last several weeks. Pop in to look at listings and then off the page. It seems there are nearly no listings whatsoever for the VWL resort. I don't know what current asking price would be for a contract with current UY points available. Do any of you know? Would 2016 UY with 150 or 200 points available be worth $100/point? More? Why no contracts offered for sale? Any thoughts?
I just passed ROFR two weeks ago and awaiting closing documents. I paid $85 for current u/y but the seller was paying the MFs so I felt it was a good deal. That was when there were only a few on the market, now there are almost none and the pricing has gone up to about $88 for asking price. There is one stripped contract at $94pp but that one has not sold. I got ours under contract within a few hours of posting. I have two trips to plan!

LOL, I guess mimes aren't popular even when they're oversized! That's one of the "bad guys" from Tangled movie. I think its funny but then again clowns never creeped me out.

More great pictures, Kathy! You're getting me pumped up for our trip! :)

Thanks for filling me in Granny! I have not seen that move and thought it was just some random, strange parade character thrown in! :laughing: Though they were not a favorite I never had too bad of a problem with clowns until I saw the movie version of Stephen King's It. Yikes! Coincidentally Tangled was shown on one of my flights on the way home but I didn't notice it starting and since I didn't know how much I missed I just skipped watching it.

Glad you mentioned this.... perhaps I can provide a synopsis.

The WL is going to be close to a total wreck for a good two years.

The good news - the wreck is a moving wreck. THIS year, probably until March or so, the back end of the Villa's will look like Dresden. Good time to request "Parking Lot" views :). Later, as the cabins go in? Walking trail areas, farther removed from the Villa's. will appear to look like major streets in New York....

Now, I say all this NOT to dissuade our group from staying at the VWL - quite the opposite....

People are ABANDONING the WL as fast as they can. I prefer to think of this as a home renovation :). We've done this sort of thing to our primary home.... it's work, it's noisy, but our home IMPROVES. The WL, and the Villas, are no different to us - we are gonna get a bit of a stink, but by damn, we ARE booked for Nov 2015, and April 2016 - and as soon as we can book for Nov 2016, we WILL.

Now - who's with us? :). When all hell breaks loose, and you STILL go to the WLV? Yup - I would refer to you as a groupie :).
Then, a Groupie be I. (Channeling my Yoda) Yep, the clown is from TANGLED, and it's one of my fave Disney movies. Maximus (the horse) is worth the price of admission alone.

Congrats, pmaurer! Even with all the construction, I think VWL will be worth it. . .as long as they don't destroy the serenity which is quite the big caveat, I know.

Finally, KAT, I've read quite a few posts saying the Jungle Cruise breakfast is hard to get. One person posted that they checked out three different dates and found only one with an opening.

Hey folks!
Wanted to share, PBS is doing a 2 night documentary on American Experience about Walt Disney this upcoming Tues and Wed nights. . . . . . . /

Thanks for the heads up - we watch very little broadcast TV and would have missed this opportunity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter