VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Thanks Kathy for the update and pictures. Like Corinne, I'm also surprised with the massive amount of scaffolding present. Wow!

Kathy...wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing!

I was hoping that our trip would be "pre-construction" in a couple of weeks, but it looks like that is just part of the deal. Actually, that scaffolding looks like they are mostly refurbishing the outside of the Lodge. Not much different than what we saw in April that was around Artist Point and Roaring Fork.

Looking forward to spending some time at Hidden Springs pool. I don't normally spend a lot of time at the pool but knowing that it will be gone/re-imagined makes me want to spend a little time there. Very much looking forward to the trip...countdown is at 10. :)

KAT thanks for the pics! Its been a few years since our last stay there. Those pics are a gentle reminder whispering to me...home:goodvibes

Happy Labor Day weekend to all the Groupies! We're staying fairly close to home: went to Charlotte yesterday for a few items; ran and Starbucked this a.m., planting some mums and other flowers, and mowing later today; catch up on household chores tomorrow. As for the scaffolding, much was present when we were there in early July, as well, so I don't think it has much to do with the work inside the Lodge for the refurb of regular rooms to DVC nor obviously the Hidden Springs pool area. Luv will be there in a couple of weeks, though it's for one night at Poly before moving to BCV Concierge for her annual friends' meet for five days. She plans to do a quick visit to "home" her first day while she awaits the others' arrivals. Perhaps some pics will be forthcoming then.

Oh my gosh.....that photo of the work going on at the WL scares me. I had no idea it was THAT extensive. We arrive in 6 days. I guess I'll go back under my rock now. :(

Thanks Kathy for the update and pictures. Like Corinne, I'm also surprised with the massive amount of scaffolding present. Wow!

Kathy...wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing!

I was hoping that our trip would be "pre-construction" in a couple of weeks, but it looks like that is just part of the deal. Actually, that scaffolding looks like they are mostly refurbishing the outside of the Lodge. Not much different than what we saw in April that was around Artist Point and Roaring Fork.

Looking forward to spending some time at Hidden Springs pool. I don't normally spend a lot of time at the pool but knowing that it will be gone/re-imagined makes me want to spend a little time there. Very much looking forward to the trip...countdown is at 10. :)

I too had a moment of shock when I had my first glimpse of the Lodge upon arrival - honestly it's not the beautiful building at the moment that I'm used to arriving to. In addition to this scaffolding on the south side they have it up in the south corner of the inner courtyard. They have the siding off and are apparently doing some extensive repairs and replacement. They've been doing this around the whole building for quite a few months and it sounds like they still have a few months left to go. But the scaffolding is not everywhere and I really didn't find it intrusive once I got over the initial view of the front that I hadn't been prepared for.

Here's pictures from the inner courtyard - first of the falls where you hardly even notice it and then a crop from that photo to show the scaffolding:

One thing I noticed while riding the bus from the Settlement to the Outpost at FW is that they were replacing sections of log siding on the cabins as well. Not a total strip down though - just pieces here and there that you could see that they had not stained yet. Overall lots of maintenance work going on!

Last edited:
Groupies, I don't normally post this kind of thing...but if you are so inclined, I ask you to please keep my mom in your prayers. Thanks.

Groupies, I don't normally post this kind of thing...but if you are so inclined, I ask you to please keep my mom in your prayers. Thanks.

Of course...prayers going up for your Mom as well as you and your family.

Back to my first morning walk over to FW:

First at the lodge

p1451634023-4.jpg

p1451635189-4.jpg

p1451641329-4.jpg

p1451727645-4.jpg

And then I heard the whoooshing noise start further towards the pool and ran over to catch the show:

p1451735071-4.jpg

p1451732879-4.jpg

As I walked back down to the south end of the beach area I checked up on our poor, seriously neglected little BBQ. I've seen posts that guests and CM's don't even know it exists. I wanted to do a little weeding around it!

Love the pictures, Kathy. I can't wait to get there in December, although it won't look like that. I just hope I outlive the refurb.

What kind of camera did you use for those?

Lifting your Mom and you up to Him in prayer

Kathy...great pictures as always! :thumbsup2

I plan on taking an inordinate number of pictures on our upcoming trip. Just trying to capture the look and feel of VWL before the changes. I'm slowly convincing myself that when all is said and done, it will be an even better resort complex and the ambiance will still be intact. Not sure why any such project would take 2 years but it seems that when Disney does construction, speed is not the primary goal.

Speaking of which, anyone know when Disney Springs in Downtown Disney is scheduled for completion? We notice a little progress on every trip but look forward to the finished product. I think Disney made a good decision there and the plans look very nice! :)

Love the pictures, Kathy. I can't wait to get there in December, although it won't look like that. I just hope I outlive the refurb.

What kind of camera did you use for those?

Thanks WD! In the last post all the pictures other than of the grill I used my Sony a6000 with a 10-18mm lens. The rest have all been with my Samsung S6 Edge phone (with a sometimes foggy lens when I didn't notice!).

This was my second walk on the nature trail to FW. Like Granny plans to do I was taking lots of photos where I feel the change will be greatest:

p1451746344-4.jpg

I found myself wondering if this tree would survive the cut?

p1451747791-4.jpg

The Villas are not that far away from the nature trail which I was told we be used as the road for equipment during construction:

p1451750805-4.jpg

I couldn't see how this tree could be left unless they are going to alter the road for the larger construction equipment:

Two bat boxes in the tree for natural insect control:

p1451752588-4.jpg

Yes, I like trees! Probably why I like VWL so much!!!

p1451757270-4.jpg

I like horses too. This was Paul posing for me:

p1451759917-4.jpg

And Chief who I mentioned before will be carrying the Headless Horseman. He was posing and then when I didn't take a picture right away I swear he gave me a look and turned away!

p1451760975-4.jpg

This little guy surprised me in the showcase room at the barn. He was trying very hard to get away but was stuck in the corner:

p1451765321-4.jpg

And lastly, a photo that caught my eye.......How many remember when the Magic Kingdom had trees like this in the hub area?!

p1451768409-4.jpg

And lastly, a photo that caught my eye.......How many remember when the Magic Kingdom had trees like this in the hub area?!

p1451768409-4.jpg

Our first trip to WDW was in 1998. I'm pretty sure those trees weren't there, but then again memory isn't my strong suit.

Thanks for the pictures Kathy! :)

Our first trip to WDW was in 1998. I'm pretty sure those trees weren't there, but then again memory isn't my strong suit.

Thanks for the pictures Kathy! :)

Apparently time flies when you're having fun!

I had to go do some searching after this as my memory was a bit fuzzy. Honestly, until I saw this picture I had pretty much forgotten they had trees there and that there had been a previous hub renovation! I remembered trees at a hub but was writing that off as a DL memory. :rolleyes: But then I couldn't remember where my pictures are from the early 2000's! Or rather I found lots of pictures but not the one's I was looking for. lol I did find one I had from 1985 though and there were the trees. Whew! Then I went online and found they were removed in 2005 although there was a tweet saying 2003. Here's a picture from the 90's:

B8FXkEWCIAEI53x.jpg

And then from WDWMagic report in 2005 when the construction walls went up to take out the trees:

Main-Street-USA_Full_3725.jpg

My second night was spent checking out the Frozen Fireworks at DHS after Toy Story and 2 rides on Rock 'n Rollercoaster. I had really been looking forward to the DHS fireworks but found that this show was my least favorite of the 3 that I have seen there but fireworks are always good! A surprise was the "snow" falling on the street.

Kathy. Those are excellent photos and especially the fireworks shot. Those groupies in WDW or about to go, good for you. Enjoy the last month of our villas the way they are. Wish I was there.

Finished the holiday weekend. I had four days off which was nice. Back to the grind in the morning.

I have been snooping around on resale boards the last several weeks. Pop in to look at listings and then off the page. It seems there are nearly no listings whatsoever for the VWL resort. I don't know what current asking price would be for a contract with current UY points available. Do any of you know? Would 2016 UY with 150 or 200 points available be worth $100/point? More? Why no contracts offered for sale? Any thoughts?

Lifting your mom in prayer. As well as you and your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter