VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

We haven't stayed at the lodge in a few years and I am so excited it's almost time to book a stay there for summer 2023. We are bringing my dad, his wife and my step brother (who is 18) and it will be his first trip (the step brothers). My dad's favorite idea of a vacation is a houseboat on the lake and his least favorite is Disney. The only reason he is coming is because after him declining our invitation for the 3rd time, I went directly to his wife who jumped at the chance to take her youngest kid for the first time. I think my dad just needs the chance to see Disney through some different lenses and that not everyone has to enjoy Disney the same way. The lodge seems just like the perfect place for him to find some R&R amidst the Disney fog.

I am waiting on them to confirm dates with me but it will be sometime June 2023 so it's almost time to book. We are aiming for a 2 bedroom at BRV. Hoping the renovations will be complete by that time. We eat at the lodge every trip but it will be nice to be staying there again.

We haven't stayed at the lodge in a few years and I am so excited it's almost time to book a stay there for summer 2023. We are bringing my dad, his wife and my step brother (who is 18) and it will be his first trip (the step brothers). My dad's favorite idea of a vacation is a houseboat on the lake and his least favorite is Disney. The only reason he is coming is because after him declining our invitation for the 3rd time, I went directly to his wife who jumped at the chance to take her youngest kid for the first time. I think my dad just needs the chance to see Disney through some different lenses and that not everyone has to enjoy Disney the same way. The lodge seems just like the perfect place for him to find some R&R amidst the Disney fog.

I am waiting on them to confirm dates with me but it will be sometime June 2023 so it's almost time to book. We are aiming for a 2 bedroom at BRV. Hoping the renovations will be complete by that time. We eat at the lodge every trip but it will be nice to be staying there again.
Maybe he would enjoy taking a boat out on the lake. Hope everything works out and you have a great time

Would bass fishing appeal to him? Just a thought

I would book something at Trails End, breakfast or dinner, and walk around there too, very relaxing. I know you said June, but around 4th of July they do lots of activites at the Fort including a golf cart parade I believe. Geyser Point is a must too.

Maybe he would enjoy taking a boat out on the lake. Hope everything works out and you have a great time
I’m definitely going to let him know about the lake. I think that’s just the kind of thing he would enjoy.
Would bass fishing appeal to him? Just a thought
He isn’t much of a fisherman but some quiet time on the lake is 100% his style.
I would book something at Trails End, breakfast or dinner, and walk around there too, very relaxing. I know you said June, but around 4th of July they do lots of activites at the Fort including a golf cart parade I believe. Geyser Point is a must too.
We love trails end. Hoping to avoid July but I bet that is fun. I think he will likely be at geyser point every night having a cocktail.

My dad confirmed dates with us today and agreed to a 7 night trip!!! Availability is looking good to grab a 2 bedroom at BRV. Now I’m trying to decide between dedicated and lock off. Can anyone tell me about the rooms with connecting balconies? I believe these are only on the top floor which would only be dedicated 2 bedrooms? I would love that chance of a little bit of extra balcony by requesting 5th floor if I book a dedicated 2 bedroom.

My dad confirmed dates with us today and agreed to a 7 night trip!!! Availability is looking good to grab a 2 bedroom at BRV. Now I’m trying to decide between dedicated and lock off. Can anyone tell me about the rooms with connecting balconies? I believe these are only on the top floor which would only be dedicated 2 bedrooms? I would love that chance of a little bit of extra balcony by requesting 5th floor if I book a dedicated 2 bedroom.
My only time in a 2 bed at VWL was in a great room and location. It was 2nd floor facing the lake/pool, located in the rotunda area. I dont think it had connecting balconies, but it was an awesome room! I would love to get that one again

My only time in a 2 bed at VWL was in a great room and location. It was 2nd floor facing the lake/pool, located in the rotunda area. I dont think it had connecting balconies, but it was an awesome room! I would love to get that one again
Yes, some of those rotunda area rooms are superb and spacious. I've had one twice, on each side of the building, and they were among the best rooms ever in any resort.
Keep in mind that the fifth floor will have the dormer-style balconies meaning that they are more solid and higher, meaning you can't sit and truly see anything except the tree tops and sky. They are lovely but do have reduced visibility.

Yes, some of those rotunda area rooms are superb and spacious. I've had one twice, on each side of the building, and they were among the best rooms ever in any resort.

Keep in mind that the fifth floor will have the dormer-style balconies meaning that they are more solid and higher, meaning you can't sit and truly see anything except the tree tops and sky. They are lovely but do have reduced visibility.
Yes, and notably more wildlife too. (bugs who find their way in but not out, and the hunters of those bugs.)

That's what I had read which I do not want since I have two little ones that would only be able to see anything by someone holding them. However in looking at pictures, that's only the wing closest to the lodge which doesn't even have a 5th floor, right?

Well, hello my fellow Groupies! I know I've been absent forever, and I don't have a great excuse such as work or travel. Mostly just not excited much about WDW since the changes they've made. But we have a trip booked for next April and are working to book one for next October as well.

Honestly, I don't think I'm very familiar with the various options such as Genie, or Genie + or whatever pay-for-play options are out there. Our last trip was in May of this year, and we didn't do any of the Genie stuff. So we ended up going on very few rides since the standby lines were always long. Our October trip next year will be with my daughters and grandchildren, so I definitely need to figure out how to make that trip more enjoyable. I'm not opposed to paying extra...it's more about how to use those features and when. We had Disney's FastPass system down pat before it became extinct, and it fit us to a tee. I've just been slow to do my homework to learn the new system.

I've read back several pages on this thread and feel somewhat caught up. I'm glad to see so many friends still hanging out here. And Jimmy...thanks for the trip report with all the pictures!

That's what I had read which I do not want since I have two little ones that would only be able to see anything by someone holding them. However in looking at pictures, that's only the wing closest to the lodge which doesn't even have a 5th floor, right?
Yes, the fifth floor doesn't go all around the elevator area as the lower sections do, if that's what you're asking. The diagram on Page 1 shows it better than I can explain it. ::yes::

Well, hello my fellow Groupies! I know I've been absent forever, and I don't have a great excuse such as work or travel. Mostly just not excited much about WDW since the changes they've made. But we have a trip booked for next April and are working to book one for next October as well.

Honestly, I don't think I'm very familiar with the various options such as Genie, or Genie + or whatever pay-for-play options are out there. Our last trip was in May of this year, and we didn't do any of the Genie stuff. So we ended up going on very few rides since the standby lines were always long. Our October trip next year will be with my daughters and grandchildren, so I definitely need to figure out how to make that trip more enjoyable. I'm not opposed to paying extra...it's more about how to use those features and when. We had Disney's FastPass system down pat before it became extinct, and it fit us to a tee. I've just been slow to do my homework to learn the new system.

I've read back several pages on this thread and feel somewhat caught up. I'm glad to see so many friends still hanging out here. And Jimmy...thanks for the trip report with all the pictures!
Hey stranger lol. Before we went for the first time using Genie I watched a lot of videos by different vloggers. The most helpful was Molly. She put out several videos on it. I also tried to practice as well as I could on the app beforehand. The thing I'm not crazy about with it is just being on your phone so much.

Hey stranger lol. Before we went for the first time using Genie I watched a lot of videos by different vloggers. The most helpful was Molly. She put out several videos on it. I also tried to practice as well as I could on the app beforehand. The thing I'm not crazy about with it is just being on your phone so much.
Thanks for the tip. . I guess I can find Molly on YouTube?

Granny
Glad to see you here my friend! I get it, not being uber excited with all the change at WDW. Its sorta bypassing our era I fear, but with the help of vlogs on Youtube, we were able to navigate through the murky waters of Genie plus, Lightning Lane, etc. After 3 days of trying to figure it out on our own, we reached out to Liz(Sechem32)who was a tremendous help. We went 3 days ahead of our DD and her family to try to figure it all out. Getting all the info prior to the trip is very helpful, but getting your feet wet in it at the parks, that's a whole other thing. Dont let it scare or intimidate you, but definitely practice with it a bit before going. And things like lighting lane can change between now and Oct '23, so be ready ahead of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter