Volcano Bay Review -- split personality park

havoc315

DIS Veteran
It was the best of water parks, it was the worst of water parks... literally..

So I'm not sure the degree to which my experience can translate to others, as I had some fairly unique factors. We were there for a holiday weekend (July 2nd). We had a pre-booked Cabana for our family and a couple of friends. And we actually had express passes, that we purchased before they stopped selling. With those caveats, my experience:

First, the really good:
The park is GORGEOUS. Here are a few photos, and more will come later:

untitled (469 of 596).jpg by Adam Brown, on Flickr

untitled (472 of 596).jpg by Adam Brown, on Flickr

untitled (499 of 596).jpg by Adam Brown, on Flickr

Really, in terms of aesthetics, the park is a real winner.

Another really good: The food was very impressive. Granted, we were ordering from the cabana menu. We ordered a variety of dishes for our family of 6, and really everything was above average.
I had read poor reviews of the flatbread pizza, and even that was good. While other dishes were very good. I had 1 of the burgers, which was huge, clearly prepared with high quality ingredients, and an interesting combination of toppings. My only objection, they insisted on cooking it well. I understand the fear of E.coli. That said, it was a burger I'd be happy with in any restaurant. Everyone in the party was happy with their dishes.

And finally -- the rides we did were mostly very good. I'm not an extreme thrill seeker. At Disney World, I'm a Big Thunder Mountain-level type of ride person, not Everest.

The Krakatau aqua coaster lived up to the hype. It lasted a solid couple of minutes, with lots of thrilling twists and drops. Nothing to intense for people like me, but intense enough to give most people a good level of thrill.

We did the Ohyea and Ohno slides, and they were really good water slides. Puili raft ride was also intense enough for me. Ika Moana I actually found a bit boring, but more on that below.

Now the mediocre:
The Cabana falls squarely here. Being a holiday weekend, we paid $500 for a second floor Cabana in wave village.
Was it worth it?
The back did face the highway and we heard traffic. They have put up screens on that side of the cabana, so you're not actually looking out at the highway. And the noise wasn't too terrible, it was easy enough to tune it out.
The Cabana was a nice size though it could have used more chairs (we brought up a couple extra). it was very convenient having a large safe, included towels, a refrigerator stocked with bottled water. A fruit platter to start the day. A private shaded area with a ceiling fan. There is a tapu tapu station in the cabana, to reserve rides from there.
The cabana was nice. I'm not sure it was $500 nice. But it was nice.
The cabana food menu was very good.
The biggest downside of the cabana -- 1 of the things you're paying for, is the ability to have food and drinks sent to the cabana. To my surprise, you could NOT order food from the Tapu Tapu station. You could view the menu, which was pointless as there was also a paper menu provided. But you couldn't order.
The Cabana had an attendant (more below), but she only popped her head in every 60-90 minutes. And there was no way to request the attendant's presence.
Finally, we paid for a second floor cabana for the view -- There was NO view. The front was blocked by palm trees.

Now, the really bad:
Maybe it was far worse because it was a holiday weekend, but the park logistics are HORRIBLE. TERRIBLE.

Let me lay out our day:

Left Portofino Bay at 7am for early entry. We were among the early arrivals for early entry at the park. There were only a few people ahead of us at the gate when we arrived there, no later than 7:30.

When they started admitted guests, it was SLOW. It can always be slow to enter a Universal park, due to problems scanning thumb prints. But then slowing it down more, it felt like it took an eternity to activate each Tapu Tapu. It does not work with an instant tap. Every "tap" takes several seconds. 5-10 seconds may not seem like a long time, when you multiply it by hundreds of guests coming through the gates, it really slows things down.

So we entered the park around 8. I heard nightmare stories about service at the concierge desk, so we really ran there. Despite being among the first at the concierge desk, already having our tickets ready and in-hand... took them about 10-15 minutes to activate our expresses passes. Then fairly promptly, someone led us to our cabana. By this time (maybe 8:15-8:20), there was a LONG line at the concierge desk behind us.

So we spent just a few minutes getting settled in the Cabana and then immediately started to wander for rides.

Probably no later than 8:25, we found ourselves at Ohyea/Ohno. Everything in the park was still "ride now."
First we all did Ohyeah.. which really had absolutely no wait.
Then, my wife and kids did Ohno.... by now (maybe 8:30), "ride now" turned in to a 10-15 minute wait for them.

Universal may claim that Volcano Bay has something like 15 rides -- But they can't be compared to theme park rides in any way. While Pirates of the Caribbean may be able to cycle through 2,000 guests per hour, the water slides probably can't do more than 50 people per hour. As they won't allow a second person down the slide, until the first person is entirely clear from the pool. So if just 10 people are ahead of you in a waterslide line, expect the wait to easily be 10+ minutes.

So after doing these 2 slides, we worked our way to Puili... With rafts that held 3-5 people at a time, the capacity is more than a waterslide, but not a whole lot more. Maybe 100 people per hour?
It was ride now, and the wait was really only a few minutes.

Which brought us to the Aqua coaster. Probably got there close to 9:00.. maybe a few minutes before general park opening. It was listed as "ride now"--- But there was a fairly long line on the stairs. The wait was maybe 10-15 minutes.
Completely manageable. I'm not complaining about a 10-15 minute wait. But let's remember, this was early entry still......

Very quickly after 9:00, lines were building. We finished the Aqua Coaster around 9:20. My son and I decided to relax in the Cabana for a few minutes. Nothing was Ride Now anymore. We figured we could start using our express passes.

My wife and daughter went to use an express pass at the Serpentine slides. They left the Cabana for the slide at 9:30, they didn't come back until about 10:15. Even with the express pass, they had a 30-45 minute wait on line.

10:15 -- Our cabana attendant shows up for the first time. She warns us that any food order could take an hour plus (I know it's a holiday, but why should burgers take an hour plus?!!?!?!?), so we were warned to order well in advance. We order some morning cocktails..... Decide to relax until we get our cocktails..

She doesn't come back with the cocktails until after 11:00. Based on the slow service, we figured we better put in our lunch order at that point. So around 11:00, we order lunch. We then decide to use an express pass for Ika Moana.
We figured we would be back at the Cabana shortly before our lunch arrived.

So we slowly got moving, and got to Ika Moana about 11:20. There was mass confusion there. There was a long line (10 minutes), just to tap in, for people who got the "time to ride" on their devices. There were people who assumed "time to ride" meant they could skip past that step, so they tried to cut in front. They didn't realize that everyone standing in that line had "time to ride."
For those who were just reserving the ride at that point, the wait was 150 minutes. Before noon, most of the attractions in the park had 100+ minute virtual lines.

So our express pass let us skip the virtual line. But then we still had to wait 10-15 minutes, just to tap in to the attraction. The line then stretched far down the stairs. We easily waited another 40-50 minutes on the stairs, before we could actually ride.
Meaning, for us, with express pass -- it was over a 1 hour line, for a 2 minute raft ride.
For those without express pass -- they waited on a virtual line for 2+ hours, then another 1 hour on the real line. For a 2 minute raft ride.

By the time we got back to the Cabana, it was 12:30. Our friends had stayed in the cabana. The food had arrived about 15 minutes earlier.

At this point, we essentially chucked our express passes into the garbage. No 1-2 minute water ride is worth standing in line for 60+ minutes in the 95 degree heat. So we decided we were done with attractions. I think the kids went and did 1 more slide, on their own.

After lunch and relaxing a bit, a couple of us decided to try the lazy river. Supposedly "ride any time" -- But it was wall to wall people. They didn't have enough tubes. The lifeguard was telling people they didn't need a tube, they were free to just walk the lazy river. I started to walk forward to just walk the river, and a guy shoved his arm in front of me, accusing me of cutting him -- He was staying on the side to wait for a tube. It was an unruly mob trying to get tubes!

That said, the lazy river was nice. Then did the wave pool -- which was also really nice. The waves get HUGE as you get close to the volcano. It's quite a workout just to walk up against the waves.

The horrible logistics didn't end with the lines for the rides.

So when we ordered food, we tried to give the attendant our credit card for payment at that time. But she insisted she would take it when we were ready to cash out for the day. So around 2:30 or 3:00, we decided to call it a day. The heat was too intense, even with the cabana. But we had to settle our bill -- Took about 20 minutes to track down our attendant.
Now, every restaurant I know, for several years -- the waitstaff takes orders on a tablet... checks can be instantly printed. And you would think this would be true in a brand new technologically advanced park! But no.... she still had our order just scribbled on a white pad. So when it was time to cash out, she went over her scribble with us. She said she would then "be right back" with the actual bill. Which took her another 15 minutes. She then took our credit card. The cabana next door was also checking out, so she took their credit card too. She came back 15 minutes later -- and said both cabana credit cards weren't working. Did we have other cards or cash. Umm, what a coincidence that 2 separate parties -- their cards aren't working. Didn't dawn on her that maybe something was wrong with the credit card machine. So she suggested we go with her, across the park, so she could try another credit card machine -- which of course, then worked. So just cashing out our bill at the end of the day, was a 40-60 minute process.

So the great:
-The park is beautiful
-The food is much better than typical theme park/water park food
-The attractions are excellent

The mediocre: The cabana is nice, but should be better. Disappointed in the lack of view from our cabana, the inability to order food through the tapu tapu station, the ordeal of paying at the end of the day, the mediocre service from the attendant.

The really bad: You can't promise guests "no lines".. then have 30-60 minute lines AFTER the virtual lines.

Anyway, I had fun the first hour at Volcano Bay. And overall, I had fun. But I wouldn't go back unless they really made major changes to the logistics of the park. The park might be wonderful if there were only 500-1000 guests in it. But when the "rides" only have capacity of 50-100 people per hour, once you have a couple thousand people in the park, it simply is a nightmare.

Last edited:
We also encountered significant waits after our virtual lines. We waited in a 120m virtual like for the coaster one (Krakatoa) only to then wait in a 40 minute line to actually get on the ride. I really didn't like the TapuTapu system. I get what they are going for, and maybe once attendance chills out it will work out better, but it was not fun for us. The park is BEAUTIFUL and everything we did was fun, we just didn't get to do very much.

We also encountered significant waits after our virtual lines. We waited in a 120m virtual like for the coaster one (Krakatoa) only to then wait in a 40 minute line to actually get on the ride. I really didn't like the TapuTapu system. I get what they are going for, and maybe once attendance chills out it will work out better, but it was not fun for us. The park is BEAUTIFUL and everything we did was fun, we just didn't get to do very much.

So the question is, if they got rid of TapuTapu, and went straight regular standby lines. I haven't been to other waterparks lately. how are the standby lines at Disney Waterparks?

I waited for Ika Moana for nearly 60 minutes, after express/pass virtual line. If I had known it was going to be a 60 minute line, I would have skipped it in the first place. The virtual line was 150 minutes. Had it been a regular standby line, most of those people never would have gotten in line -- 150+ another 60 minutes-- Who is going to stand 3 hours in blistering July heat for a 2 minute raft ride?!??

I suspect that if they got rid of TapuTapu, the lines would be similar to the real lines now. You'd simply have few fewer people even trying to get in line.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, @havoc315. I don't currently have any plans to visit Volcano Bay before Labor Day, but now I wonder if even early Fall will be long enough to see some of these issues resolved. I know the smaller crowds will help, but it still seems like a risk of precious vacation dollars and time. I'm tempted to get our water park fix locally this year and save the money for other things Universal, at least until I see better overall reviews. Again, thank you! It is very helpful.

So the question is, if they got rid of TapuTapu, and went straight regular standby lines. I haven't been to other waterparks lately. how are the standby lines at Disney Waterparks?

We visited both Disney waterparks during this last trip, in addition to Volcano Bay, and we never waited more than 20m for a slide of any kind at the Disney waterparks. We got there at opening and left each day by 4p and everyone had done everything they wanted to do - usually multiple times. Both of my kids said that of the 3 waterparks we just did (Volcano Bay, Blizzard Beach, and Typhoon Lagoon) their favorite was Typhoon Lagoon.

It was the best of water parks, it was the worst of water parks... literally..

So I'm not sure the degree to which my experience can translate to others, as I had some fairly unique factors. We were there for a holiday weekend (July 2nd). We had a pre-booked Cabana for our family and a couple of friends. And we actually had express passes, that we purchased before they stopped selling. With those caveats, my experience:

First, the really good:
The park is GORGEOUS. Here are a few photos, and more will come later:

untitled (469 of 596).jpg by Adam Brown, on Flickr

untitled (472 of 596).jpg by Adam Brown, on Flickr

untitled (499 of 596).jpg by Adam Brown, on Flickr

Really, in terms of aesthetics, the park is a real winner.

Another really good: The food was very impressive. Granted, we were ordering from the cabana menu. We ordered a variety of dishes for our family of 6, and really everything was above average.
I had read poor reviews of the flatbread pizza, and even that was good. While other dishes were very good. I had 1 of the burgers, which was huge, clearly prepared with high quality ingredients, and an interesting combination of toppings. My only objection, they insisted on cooking it well. I understand the fear of E.coli. That said, it was a burger I'd be happy with in any restaurant. Everyone in the party was happy with their dishes.

And finally -- the rides we did were mostly very good. I'm not an extreme thrill seeker. At Disney World, I'm a Big Thunder Mountain-level type of ride person, not Everest.

The Krakatau aqua coaster lived up to the hype. It lasted a solid couple of minutes, with lots of thrilling twists and drops. Nothing to intense for people like me, but intense enough to give most people a good level of thrill.

We did the Ohyea and Ohno slides, and they were really good water slides. Puili raft ride was also intense enough for me. Ika Moana I actually found a bit boring, but more on that below.

Now the mediocre:
The Cabana falls squarely here. Being a holiday weekend, we paid $500 for a second floor Cabana in wave village.
Was it worth it?
The back did face the highway and we heard traffic. They have put up screens on that side of the cabana, so you're not actually looking out at the highway. And the noise wasn't too terrible, it was easy enough to tune it out.
The Cabana was a nice size though it could have used more chairs (we brought up a couple extra). it was very convenient having a large safe, included towels, a refrigerator stocked with bottled water. A fruit platter to start the day. A private shaded area with a ceiling fan. There is a tapu tapu station in the cabana, to reserve rides from there.
The cabana was nice. I'm not sure it was $500 nice. But it was nice.
The cabana food menu was very good.
The biggest downside of the cabana -- 1 of the things you're paying for, is the ability to have food and drinks sent to the cabana. To my surprise, you could NOT order food from the Tapu Tapu station. You could view the menu, which was pointless as there was also a paper menu provided. But you couldn't order.
The Cabana had an attendant (more below), but she only popped her head in every 60-90 minutes. And there was no way to request the attendant's presence.
Finally, we paid for a second floor cabana for the view -- There was NO view. The front was blocked by palm trees.

Now, the really bad:
Maybe it was far worse because it was a holiday weekend, but the park logistics are HORRIBLE. TERRIBLE.

Let me lay out our day:

Left Portofino Bay at 7am for early entry. We were among the early arrivals for early entry at the park. There were only a few people ahead of us at the gate when we arrived there, no later than 7:30.

When they started admitted guests, it was SLOW. It can always be slow to enter a Universal park, due to problems scanning thumb prints. But then slowing it down more, it felt like it took an eternity to activate each Tapu Tapu. It does not work with an instant tap. Every "tap" takes several seconds. 5-10 seconds may not seem like a long time, when you multiply it by hundreds of guests coming through the gates, it really slows things down.

So we entered the park around 8. I heard nightmare stories about service at the concierge desk, so we really ran there. Despite being among the first at the concierge desk, already having our tickets ready and in-hand... took them about 10-15 minutes to activate our expresses passes. Then fairly promptly, someone led us to our cabana. By this time (maybe 8:15-8:20), there was a LONG line at the concierge desk behind us.

So we spent just a few minutes getting settled in the Cabana and then immediately started to wander for rides.

Probably no later than 8:25, we found ourselves at Ohyea/Ohno. Everything in the park was still "ride now."
First we all did Ohyeah.. which really had absolutely no wait.
Then, my wife and kids did Ohno.... by now (maybe 8:30), "ride now" turned in to a 10-15 minute wait for them.

Universal may claim that Volcano Bay has something like 15 rides -- But they can't be compared to theme park rides in any way. While Pirates of the Caribbean may be able to cycle through 2,000 guests per hour, the water slides probably can't do more than 50 people per hour. As they won't allow a second person down the slide, until the first person is entirely clear from the pool. So if just 10 people are ahead of you in a waterslide line, expect the wait to easily be 10+ minutes.

So after doing these 2 slides, we worked our way to Puili... With rafts that held 3-5 people at a time, the capacity is more than a waterslide, but not a whole lot more. Maybe 100 people per hour?
It was ride now, and the wait was really only a few minutes.

Which brought us to the Aqua coaster. Probably got there close to 9:00.. maybe a few minutes before general park opening. It was listed as "ride now"--- But there was a fairly long line on the stairs. The wait was maybe 10-15 minutes.
Completely manageable. I'm not complaining about a 10-15 minute wait. But let's remember, this was early entry still......

Very quickly after 9:00, lines were building. We finished the Aqua Coaster around 9:20. My son and I decided to relax in the Cabana for a few minutes. Nothing was Ride Now anymore. We figured we could start using our express passes.

My wife and daughter went to use an express pass at the Serpentine slides. They left the Cabana for the slide at 9:30, they didn't come back until about 10:15. Even with the express pass, they had a 30-45 minute wait on line.

10:15 -- Our cabana attendant shows up for the first time. She warns us that any food order could take an hour plus (I know it's a holiday, but why should burgers take an hour plus?!!?!?!?), so we were warned to order well in advance. We order some morning cocktails..... Decide to relax until we get our cocktails..

She doesn't come back with the cocktails until after 11:00. Based on the slow service, we figured we better put in our lunch order at that point. So around 11:00, we order lunch. We then decide to use an express pass for Ika Moana.
We figured we would be back at the Cabana shortly before our lunch arrived.

So we slowly got moving, and got to Ika Moana about 11:20. There was mass confusion there. There was a long line (10 minutes), just to tap in, for people who got the "time to ride" on their devices. There were people who assumed "time to ride" meant they could skip past that step, so they tried to cut in front. They didn't realize that everyone standing in that line had "time to ride."
For those who were just reserving the ride at that point, the wait was 150 minutes. Before noon, most of the attractions in the park had 100+ minute virtual lines.

So our express pass let us skip the virtual line. But then we still had to wait 10-15 minutes, just to tap in to the attraction. The line then stretched far down the stairs. We easily waited another 40-50 minutes on the stairs, before we could actually ride.
Meaning, for us, with express pass -- it was over a 1 hour line, for a 2 minute raft ride.
For those without express pass -- they waited on a virtual line for 2+ hours, then another 1 hour on the real line. For a 2 minute raft ride.

By the time we got back to the Cabana, it was 12:30. Our friends had stayed in the cabana. The food had arrived about 15 minutes earlier.

At this point, we essentially chucked our express passes into the garbage. No 1-2 minute water ride is worth standing in line for 60+ minutes in the 95 degree heat. So we decided we were done with attractions. I think the kids went and did 1 more slide, on their own.

After lunch and relaxing a bit, a couple of us decided to try the lazy river. Supposedly "ride any time" -- But it was wall to wall people. They didn't have enough tubes. The lifeguard was telling people they didn't need a tube, they were free to just walk the lazy river. I started to walk forward to just walk the river, and a guy shoved his arm in front of me, accusing me of cutting him -- He was staying on the side to wait for a tube. It was an unruly mob trying to get tubes!

That said, the lazy river was nice. Then did the wave pool -- which was also really nice. The waves get HUGE as you get close to the volcano. It's quite a workout just to walk up against the waves.

The horrible logistics didn't end with the lines for the rides.

So when we ordered food, we tried to give the attendant our credit card for payment at that time. But she insisted she would take it when we were ready to cash out for the day. So around 2:30 or 3:00, we decided to call it a day. The heat was too intense, even with the cabana. But we had to settle our bill -- Took about 20 minutes to track down our attendant.
Now, every restaurant I know, for several years -- the waitstaff takes orders on a tablet... checks can be instantly printed. And you would think this would be true in a brand new technologically advanced park! But no.... she still had our order just scribbled on a white pad. So when it was time to cash out, she went over her scribble with us. She said she would then "be right back" with the actual bill. Which took her another 15 minutes. She then took our credit card. The cabana next door was also checking out, so she took their credit card too. She came back 15 minutes later -- and said both cabana credit cards weren't working. Did we have other cards or cash. Umm, what a coincidence that 2 separate parties -- their cards aren't working. Didn't dawn on her that maybe something was wrong with the credit card machine. So she suggested we go with her, across the park, so she could try another credit card machine -- which of course, then worked. So just cashing out our bill at the end of the day, was a 40-60 minute process.

So the great:
-The park is beautiful
-The food is much better than typical theme park/water park food
-The attractions are excellent

The mediocre: The cabana is nice, but should be better. Disappointed in the lack of view from our cabana, the inability to order food through the tapu tapu station, the ordeal of paying at the end of the day, the mediocre service from the attendant.

The really bad: You can't promise guests "no lines".. then have 30-60 minute lines AFTER the virtual lines.

Anyway, I had fun the first hour at Volcano Bay. And overall, I had fun. But I wouldn't go back unless they really made major changes to the logistics of the park. The park might be wonderful if there were only 500-1000 guests in it. But when the "rides" only have capacity of 50-100 people per hour, once you have a couple thousand people in the park, it simply is a nightmare.
Great trip report. Did you take water shoes and were you able to take them on the rides? Also can you wear lanyards on the rides? Thanks

Thanks for the report. It is disappointing. I also purchased express pass back in April because I am going to be there on a Sunday, but it doesn't sound like it will be worth the price if the lines are still an hour.

Sorry you have had a bad experience. I don't think I've read a single cabana or premium seating review yet that has remotely steered me towards wanting to spend extra money on it. And the Express pass seems to be much more of a headache than help as well, I honestly hope they do not come back. I'm surprised Ike Moana was a mess, usually it's Honu over there that causes the madhouse.

You are the first person I have read to suggest ordering through the tapu pad for cabana guest and frankly that is a GENIUS idea! Would also be awesome if it had a Taptu pay station in there so that all you would need your attendant for is to bring your food/drinks and make sure everything is OK. It would make it easier on both the staff and much more easier and convenient on the guests. They have the ability to do things like that, need to make it happen.

Again, so sorry you had a rough day. It was definitely a capacity day and a madhouse. The Cabana and Express passes were not the helps they have the potential to be and just getting them and setting them up kills off the best half hour of slide riding time in the whole park day. Hope they have all that ironed out if and when you ever want to try it again.

We visited both Disney waterparks during this last trip, in addition to Volcano Bay, and we never waited more than 20m for a slide of any kind at the Disney waterparks. We got there at opening and left each day by 4p and everyone had done everything they wanted to do - usually multiple times. Both of my kids said that of the 3 waterparks we just did (Volcano Bay, Blizzard Beach, and Typhoon Lagoon) their favorite was Typhoon Lagoon.

It would be interesting to know the attendance at the parks. If Volcano Bay was at capacity and the Disney parks were not, that would explain the waits.

Sorry you have had a bad experience. I don't think I've read a single cabana or premium seating review yet that has remotely steered me towards wanting to spend extra money on it. And the Express pass seems to be much more of a headache than help as well, I honestly hope they do not come back. I'm surprised Ike Moana was a mess, usually it's Honu over there that causes the madhouse.

You are the first person I have read to suggest ordering through the tapu pad for cabana guest and frankly that is a GENIUS idea! Would also be awesome if it had a Taptu pay station in there so that all you would need your attendant for is to bring your food/drinks and make sure everything is OK. It would make it easier on both the staff and much more easier and convenient on the guests. They have the ability to do things like that, need to make it happen.

Again, so sorry you had a rough day. It was definitely a capacity day and a madhouse. The Cabana and Express passes were not the helps they have the potential to be and just getting them and setting them up kills off the best half hour of slide riding time in the whole park day. Hope they have all that ironed out if and when you ever want to try it again.

I wouldn't say it was a "bad experience."
Overall, I had a good day. But in terms of experiencing the rides/attractions, that was only fun for the first hour. And the day had a lot of aggravations that shouldn't have happened.

But a beautiful park, spending time with my family, lounging in the sun and the water.. despite some aggravations, I can't really call it "bad."

It would be interesting to know the attendance at the parks. If Volcano Bay was at capacity and the Disney parks were not, that would explain the waits.

Volcano Bay has been hitting capacity every day, I do wonder what number is actual capacity.
But when you realize that most of the "rides" only have capacity of 50-100 people per hour, I think it shows the problem of Tapu Tapu.

Wow, when there are bad reviews even with express passes, Universal really needs to fix the situation. Not enough tubes for the lazy river is just silly. Order some more. They have known this is a problem for a month now. How long does it take go order tubes? That really should be a take a tube as you get on, return as you get off type of thing. Its bad enough fighting for a tube at the local small water park for the lazy river.
The tapu tapu they should be handing out at resorts for resort guests instead of having everyone wait in line. I salute all the people willing to brave this nonsense. I wouldn't go anywhere near volcano bay until they figure out these problems. Maybe just make it only on property hotel guests until things start to die down and they figure out their system.

Wow, when there are bad reviews even with express passes, Universal really needs to fix the situation. Not enough tubes for the lazy river is just silly. Order some more. They have known this is a problem for a month now. How long does it take go order tubes? That really should be a take a tube as you get on, return as you get off type of thing. Its bad enough fighting for a tube at the local small water park for the lazy river.
The tapu tapu they should be handing out at resorts for resort guests instead of having everyone wait in line. I salute all the people willing to brave this nonsense. I wouldn't go anywhere near volcano bay until they figure out these problems. Maybe just make it only on property hotel guests until things start to die down and they figure out their system.

I don't know if it's just a matter of ordering more tubes. They ran out of tubes opening weekend too. However, if there had been more people in either the lazy or not-so-lazy rivers, it would have been even more dangerous than it was. There is a capacity to rides like that due to the number of lifeguards that can be staffed. I actually got out of the not-so-lazy river at one point, because it was really stressful, with people trying to rip your tube out from under you, and unsafe with so many bodies in there. It's sort of been a victim of its own success, ie popularity. Once the crowds die down in winter or even next year, I think it will be better. We are going again later this month, but as long as I can get my tasty adult beverage, it will all be OK:D

Once again, the many reasons why I am waiting until at least next year to go to VB. It just seems more of a headache than a good time to me the more and more I read these reviews. I'd rather wait for the hype to die down and wait until the average capacity dies down to what it might be for years to come, than rush to be one of the first to come to the park. It not only just opened, but had to open during peak summer season, which is why it's always at capacity every day. Rather be patient and wait awhile for it to cool down.

At least it's beautiful and the food seems to be better quality than others, which means it has the means to be a brilliant park. Once the park capacity dies down and TT starts working properly, then it will be the water park to go to.

As you stated, people were trying to rip the tube out from under you. that's a lack of tubes problem. Too many people in the lazy river is another issue, one which is a design problem if you expect people to hang out in the lazy river while waiting for the rides.

As far as people saying crowds will die down, what makes you think that will happen? Yes it just opened and yes its peak summer season, but next summer no one will go? From the reviews its hitting capacity almost every day with only people willing to show up at 8am or earlier getting in. So next summer magically it will be much better? If one ride was really long, then you could say things would die down, when the whole park is having huge lines, I doubt it will ever be much better except in the off season and unless they going to heat the water to 92 plus degrees, who wants to keep getting in and out of the water when its cool out?

I don't know if it's just a matter of ordering more tubes. They ran out of tubes opening weekend too. However, if there had been more people in either the lazy or not-so-lazy rivers, it would have been even more dangerous than it was. There is a capacity to rides like that due to the number of lifeguards that can be staffed. I actually got out of the not-so-lazy river at one point, because it was really stressful, with people trying to rip your tube out from under you, and unsafe with so many bodies in there. It's sort of been a victim of its own success, ie popularity. Once the crowds die down in winter or even next year, I think it will be better. We are going again later this month, but as long as I can get my tasty adult beverage, it will all be OK:D

As far as people saying crowds will die down, what makes you think that will happen? Yes it just opened and yes its peak summer season, but next summer no one will go? From the reviews its hitting capacity almost every day with only people willing to show up at 8am or earlier getting in. So next summer magically it will be much better? If one ride was really long, then you could say things would die down, when the whole park is having huge lines, I doubt it will ever be much better except in the off season and unless they going to heat the water to 92 plus degrees, who wants to keep getting in and out of the water when its cool out?

People had to wait hours just to get inside the WWOHP when it first opened, was it the same next summer? No.

Did anyone say no one will go next summer? It's just logically speaking it's going to be not as busy as it is right now if you wait another year. Yes, it's going to be incredibly busy, but it isn't going to nearly as insane as it is currently now.

History has shown us that at Universal you're going to be waiting ridiculous wait times if you want to be one of the first, but if you be patient, you can wait a little less in the long run.

As for off season, you can believe it, or not, enjoy the water park during so without heating the water. I done it this year at Typhoon Lagoon. Considering most of the time, especially this year, often times in Florida it can still be in the 80's in the winter even. If it's far lower than that, usually places close the park.

Yes but WWOHP is an attraction inside a park, just like Pandora in Animal Kingdom. This is the whole park being way over crowded. Will it be better next year. Probably but I'm betting not by much if they don't figure out how to revamp the system. Agreed with your point on Florida and the temps, but if you live in Florida, no one is getting in the water under 90 degrees or so. We were at Disney in March and they keep the pools pretty heated and honestly the kids were swimming and I really tried to avoid it as much as possible as it was a bit cold.

People had to wait hours just to get inside the WWOHP when it first opened, was it the same next summer? No.

Did anyone say no one will go next summer? It's just logically speaking it's going to be not as busy as it is right now if you wait another year. Yes, it's going to be incredibly busy, but it isn't going to nearly as insane as it is currently now.

History has shown us that at Universal you're going to be waiting ridiculous wait times if you want to be one of the first, but if you be patient, you can wait a little less in the long run.

As for off season, you can believe it, or not, enjoy the water park during so without heating the water. I done it this year at Typhoon Lagoon. Considering most of the time, especially this year, often times in Florida it can still be in the 80's in the winter even. If it's far lower than that, usually places close the park.

Yes but WWOHP is an attraction inside a park, just like Pandora in Animal Kingdom. This is the whole park being way over crowded. Will it be better next year. Probably but I'm betting not by much if they don't figure out how to revamp the system. Agreed with your point on Florida and the temps, but if you live in Florida, no one is getting in the water under 90 degrees or so. We were at Disney in March and they keep the pools pretty heated and honestly the kids were swimming and I really tried to avoid it as much as possible as it was a bit cold.

I do not consider it really an attraction, but a theme park considering that is what Universal refers to it as (the first phase of the park is about the size of Volcano Bay) and how insane it was from what I heard on opening day. On opening day, you couldn't literally gain access to it if it was at capacity. The people trying to get in literally went all the way out to city walk and filled it completely. Even on days in which it wasn't the opening day, you had to wait hours just to gain access inside the WWOHP section of the park. Considering it went from that, to easily walking inside the park and you just waiting 45 - 60 minutes for an actual attraction inside the park next summer, I consider that a dramatic difference. So, I'm not really that worried that they might get their stuff together a lot more by then, especially since I'll probably be shooting more towards the fall, since I personally prefer to come during non-peak season.

People swim in springs in a regular basis in Florida, which usually is in it's 70's. DeLeon Springs which is one spring I've been to is the coldest in FL, which is 68 degrees on a regular basis. It just depends on how warm it is outside that will determine how many people are willing to swim in certain waters. It's all based on personal preference. So, I guess we'll see eventually if they do plan on heating the water in the future. I mean, they say Typhoon Lagoon does, but when I went there it didn't seem warm to me when I went off season.

I do not consider it really an attraction, but a theme park considering that is what Universal refers to it as (the first phase of the park is about the size of Volcano Bay) and how insane it was from what I heard on opening day. On opening day, you couldn't literally gain access to it if it was at capacity. The people trying to get in literally went all the way out to city walk and filled it completely. Even on days in which it wasn't the opening day, you had to wait hours just to gain access inside the WWOHP section of the park. Considering it went from that, to easily walking inside the park and you just waiting 45 - 60 minutes for an actual attraction inside the park next summer, I consider that a dramatic difference. So, I'm not really that worried that they might get their stuff together a lot more by then, especially since I'll probably be shooting more towards the fall, since I personally prefer to come during non-peak season.

People swim in springs in a regular basis in Florida, which usually is in it's 70's. DeLeon Springs which is one spring I've been to is the coldest in FL, which is 68 degrees on a regular basis. It just depends on how warm it is outside that will determine how many people are willing to swim in certain waters. It's all based on personal preference. So, I guess we'll see eventually if they do plan on heating the water in the future. I mean, they say Typhoon Lagoon does, but when I went there it didn't seem warm to me when I went off season.

Pandora was slammed too although apparently not as bad as harry potter, but there was plenty of other things to do in the park.

At any rate, I don't know any people from Florida that are going swimming in 70 degree water. I used to swim in water in the 70's and even 60's when I lived in Mass years ago. I'm assuming all the water at these theme parks are heated. If the pools at the resorts are heated, I can't imagine them not heating the waterparks.

Thanks for the review! We had been holding off upgrading our passes to see how it did, and I'm glad we didn't fork over the money. There's no way we could do a 40+ minute "speed pass" line, let alone a 120 minute plus standby. I think it'll be a year or so before my husband and I brave it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter