• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vintage resort pics?

He looks like the Walrus from the Carpenter and Walrus scene in Alice in Wonderland. I've certainly never seen him at MK.

Yes that's him! I haven't seen him there in any of my trips since the pic. None that I can remember anyways!

I don't know if anyone answered you or not - but that is at the 'old' Downtown Disney. The Marketplace. You can see Fulton's - or whatever is was called back then in the background.

Sorry of this is a repeat!

I am getting real liberal with the term 'vintage resort pics'. Below are a couple of pics from the beach at Fort Wilderness - I think. Correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, I am the geeky one wearing the complete face mask for swimming in the lagoon. :rotfl:

Connor-173.jpg

Connor-174.jpg

OK, I need ya'lls help. Does anyone know where this is? I don't recognize any of the landmarks. Could it be near the Polynesian?

Connor-165.jpg

I don't know if anyone answered you or not - but that is at the 'old' Downtown Disney. The Marketplace. You can see Fulton's - or whatever is was called back then in the background.

Sorry of this is a repeat!

Didn't Fulton's used to be the Empress Lilly? I remember going on there for a character breakfast when I was a kid.:)

Didn't Fulton's used to be the Empress Lilly? I remember going on there for a character breakfast when I was a kid.:)

Yes, I had dinner there with my ex-husband when it was the Empress Lilly. It was a complete disaster, which is why I remember it so well. Not because of the restaurant, but because of my ex's lack of social graces. :headache: But at any rate, I remember the real gold on the walls and the roses and and cigars they handed out. It was the early 80's and I was very impressed by it all.

SusanElleen, I just found this thread and seen your posting of the map of the MK as it never was. That is absolutely the best thing I have ever seen and I think it so awesome that your husband was able to "rescue" it and it has been lovingly kept all these years. I am huge retro fan of both DL and WDW stuff and buy many things from e-bay. Although I could have never afforded such a "masterpiece" if sold it makes me happy to know that those who appreciate such things have come to own them. ;) Thanks for sharing!! :goodvibes

I had forgotten all about her! Those days were wonderful - so much more magic. I loved the name then: Polynesian Village.]

When I check in in July I intend to say I'm staying at the Polynesian Village. Village just resonates as a destination more than resort but I suppose this is why I am not head of marketing at Disney. Anyway, I also am a "class of '72" veteran and I have pics of me going down the old slide in my purple and pink swimsuit. Unfortunately I lack the technology to upload it.

Have also stayed in the Contemporary in the early 80s and the old Vacation Villas.

This is a lovely thread.

Stayed at Vacation Villas 3 times in the 80's gonna look for some photos

MaryD73,
The picture in question is from Lake Buena Vista Village. It's now Downtown Disney. The big steamboat in the background was a restaurant named the Lillie Belle, named after Walt's wife. Lake Buena Vista Village opened in 1975. I was 6 years old then and remember my Mom loved it. I didn't care for it because it only had one little upscale, overpriced toy store. A lot has changed since then.

I thought it was called the Empress Lilly

Does anyone know if they renovated to Cabins at Ft. Wilderness or if they actually put now modular/manufactured units in?

It seems like they are the same size overall - but I can't imagine doing a total renovation/rehab on a manufactured home. It would be so much faster to just put all new units in. Disconnect utilities - move it out - move new unit in - and connect utilities. Seems simple enough!

But I wonder!

Does anyone know if they renovated to Cabins at Ft. Wilderness or if they actually put now modular/manufactured units in?

It seems like they are the same size overall - but I can't imagine doing a total renovation/rehab on a manufactured home. It would be so much faster to just put all new units in. Disconnect utilities - move it out - move new unit in - and connect utilities. Seems simple enough!

But I wonder!

I read on the camping board that they moved out all the trailers. They are now in a retirement community somewhere else in Florida. The cabins were new. I suspect it made sense to keep the units roughly the same size since the loops were set-up for them.

These pics are all so great! My first trip was as a child in 1993. We stayed at Dixie Landings. Now, I know '93 isn't as vintage as the 70's, but I was wondering if anyone had any pics of Dixie Landings they could post here? I have very few pictures from that trip and NONE of the resort, because my mother's roll of film was lost before it was ever developed. :sad1:

I haven't read the whole thread but here's a link to the thread started several years ago with many vintage photos.

And there's a link below to pics of my trips in 1979, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999 and so on. Some best ones I think are from 1990 when we took our first family trip. See the Disney link below.

I haven't read the whole thread but here's a link to the thread started several years ago with many vintage photos.

And there's a link below to pics of my trips in 1979, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1997, 1999 and so on. Some best ones I think are from 1990 when we took our first family trip. See the Disney link below.

thanks for the link

Wondering if any great DISSER out there has any footage of the
1970's hotel information chanel.....I loved the loop they played in the hotels back them but can't find anything about the music or the video...what a shame. :guilty: I was only 7 so didnt have a video camera...but would love love love to see any pics or video of the loop

I have some old pics from when EPCOT first opened and we stayed at the CR. Will have to dig them out and scan them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter