VGF - Lake View Worth the Extra Points?

Breyean

DVC Since '93
Hopefully we will be able to book a short (split stay) stay at VGF. Our 7 month window is opening soon, and we're looking for a 1 bedroom for 3 nights, which are available now for both views.

We are three adults who have been DVC members since 1993 but who rarely go to WDW any more because we are on the West Coast and DLR is our "home resort". We see this as our best chance of ever getting into VGF before it's sold out.

So my question for you in the know, for a once in a lifetime visit to VGF, is the Lake View worth it, or should we save points and just be happy to be in the resort with a Standard View room? As an example, back in Jan 2010, we did our only stay at BLT and we quite happy to use the extra points for a MK View room.

We are park commandos and will be out early, yet back early as well as we are now OLDER park commandos!

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Hopefully we will be able to book a short (split stay) stay at VGF. Our 7 month window is opening soon, and we're looking for a 1 bedroom for 3 nights, which are available now for both views.

We are three adults who have been DVC members since 1993 but who rarely go to WDW any more because we are on the West Coast and DLR is our "home resort". We see this as our best chance of ever getting into VGF before it's sold out.

So my question for you in the know, for a once in a lifetime visit to VGF, is the Lake View worth it, or should we save points and just be happy to be in the resort with a Standard View room? As an example, back in Jan 2010, we did our only stay at BLT and we quite happy to use the extra points for a MK View room.

We are park commandos and will be out early, yet back early as well as we are now OLDER park commandos!

Having just stayed at VGF in September, I definitely recommend the extra points and going for the lake view. Many of the non-lake views are fine (especially if you get a good look at the monorail), but we had a lake view room and loved it. We could see the lagoon, Poly, the Wedding Pavilion, boats, and monorails in the distance. We could hear boat horns on the lake and had lovely sunrises as we sipped coffee on the balcony. Don't settle. ;)

Having just stayed at VGF in September, I definitely recommend the extra points and going for the lake view. Many of the non-lake views are fine (especially if you get a good look at the monorail), but we had a lake view room and loved it. We could see the lagoon, Poly, the Wedding Pavilion, boats, and monorails in the distance. We could hear boat horns on the lake and had lovely sunrises as we sipped coffee on the balcony. Don't settle. ;)

That sounds great. Are there any requests you can make to increase the chances of getting such a great view? Like at BLT, with the high floor for the MK View, or the odd (or even, I forget which) numbered rooms for the Lake View rooms?

That sounds great. Are there any requests you can make to increase the chances of getting such a great view? Like at BLT, with the high floor for the MK View, or the odd (or even, I forget which) numbered rooms for the Lake View rooms?

With a VGF lake view, all room pretty much have the same view. The standard views are mixed looking at everything from the Senses Spa building and parking lot, the GF buildings, or maybe a peek at the lake or fireworks.

There is a thread that shows the building room numbers with pictures in the DVC resort section.

:earsboy: Bill

I think higher floor is better. I wouldn't want a first floor room where there's a sidewalk with people walking by.

I had a view of the lake and I just had the standard room could see the water light parade from room

Lake view is definitely worth it, especially if you are on the short end of the L. We loved the floor studio we were in for a week. Next time it will be a 1BR Lake view. Awesome resort

Personally, I'd go with standard or theme park views. The only time we stayed at BLT we had lake view and it's very very noisy (electric water pageant, movies under the stars, Wishes piped in to the skyway bridge...). I will go with SV or TPV next time.

We loved our lake view room. For the most part. The view was spectacular! We were on the short end of the L. However, if you are a light sleeper, the boat horns do start fairly early. This past week it was as early as 6AM. We are not morning people and definitely not park commandos. Sleeping in was basically not going to happen this trip. Even with earplugs. That being said, if you wake up early anyway, it won't bother you at all. Plus everything else pretty much makes up for it!

Personally, I'd go with standard or theme park views. The only time we stayed at BLT we had lake view and it's very very noisy (electric water pageant, movies under the stars, Wishes piped in to the skyway bridge...). I will go with SV or TPV next time.

Thanks, but my question was about VGF, not BLT.

Lake view is definitely worth it, especially if you are on the short end of the L. We loved the floor studio we were in for a week. Next time it will be a 1BR Lake view. Awesome resort

Did you make any sort of request to get into that area?

Shows how everyone is different-these would be 3 reasons for me to GET lake view! :rotfl:

I did lake view at GF and standard view, and while I LOVED lake/theme park view, to me the extra cost isn't justified. We are so often out at parks or dinner that for the one night we want to sit and enjoy that view, or watch EWP or Wishes, we can go out to the marina and enjoy it from there.
The only time it would be enjoyable for me would be early in the a.m when I'm drinking coffee and the kids are asleep. But I calculate that extra $ and there is a couple sit down deluxe dinners!

We just returned from our first stay at VGF in a one bedroom Lake View. Like you, that might have been our only stay at VGF (we are also West Coasters and VGC owners), so we opted for the Lake View. We got a high floor, which was great and the view was very nice, but, as we have discussed the stay since our return, we have decided that if we go back and stay at VGF again, we will likely book a Standard View, rather than a Lake View, and save the extra points.

As we explored the resort, we really loved the red roofs, the designs of the variety of buildings, and the monorail; so, we would be just as happy having a standard view (if not more so) rather than a Lake View next time (if there is a next time!). We are also aware that we are taking our chances getting a not-so-perfect standard view, but, we just loved the grounds and think we would be happy in most areas.

Anyway, I thought I'd share our differing perspective, in case it helps with your decision!

No matter where you stay at VGF, it is an amazing resort and the bottom line is that we are, in fact, happy we splurged for the Lake View for our first visit. :)

Hope this helps! :goodvibes

Does anyone know the break down of standard view rooms to lake view rooms? Does anyone know what percentage of rooms are lake view and what percentage of rooms are standard view?????

Best wishes,
Dave

Does anyone know the break down of standard view rooms to lake view rooms? Does anyone know what percentage of rooms are lake view and what percentage of rooms are standard view?????

Best wishes,
Dave

Standard View:
30 Studios
30 One-Bedrooms
30 Dedicated Two-Bedrooms

Lake View:
17 Studios
17 One-Bedrooms
17 Dedicated Two-Bedrooms

6 Grand Villa

Of course, the 1 bed rooms and studios compose the 2 BR lock offs

Our Lake View VGF Grand Villa view from August WAS AMAZING!!
gfv_zpsf7144c1b.jpg

Love the photo!! We had a 2nd floor facing the monorail and I thought the view was nice. I'm cheap and would save the points:rolleyes1

We stayed in a 1BR standard view in October. We were on the 4th floor overlooking the fountain and covered walkway to the main GF building. The view was fine. We could see the main GF area, the monorail, and even some of the lake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter