VERY anxious about upcoming cataract surgery

luvgoing2disney

DIS Veteran
Next Wednesday I am scheduled to have cataract surgery, statistically one of the safest surgeries a person can have. And even though I have read literature, have confidence in the surgeon, even watch video (for about 15 seconds till I said "that's enough") I'm nervous about it.

For all practical purposes I only have vision in one eye. My "bad" eye has been that way since birth and so I've adjusted well, since it was all I've ever known. My "good" eye did have an injury when I was 6 when a BB hit very close to the pupil (Think "Christmas Story") but it did not damage the vision and only created a small black spot in the colored area.

The surgeon says he can repair that spot while doing the cataract surgery, but I'm SO worried---what if something goes wrong. He does not anticipate any problems and as he tried to reassure me saying that IF something should go wrong, he would not expect me to lose eye sight.

I am a person of faith so have tried to stay calm. But if any of you want to throw pixie dust or prayers my way, I'll gladly accept them!

I'll be praying for you.
My dad has an appointment with a surgeon to schedule cataract surgery and I can tell he's worried. He and and I joke about it but I can tell.

Sending prayers and pixie dust. I had my cataract surgeries in January and February. I was a bit worried going in but sailed thru with flying colors. My doc, too, said complications are rare. He's done thousands of surgeries and not had one that was a major deal. I'm happy I did it. Everything is so clear. My distance vision is 20/15. I used to wear bifocals, now I need reading glasses only. Follow his pre and post-op instructions. Best of luck to you.

Just had it three weeks ago. It was a little strange. The only tip I will give is it takes a couple weeks to adjust so do not expect miracles the next day. Now at 3 weeks I almost forget it did it, recovery goes pretty fast.

The fun part now is with my old eye everything has a yellow tinge and with the new eye everyting is bright white.

So what type of lens are you getting

I will pray for you!

My mom had cataract surgery a few weeks ago. I was really worried for her, ONLY because she and my dad have had a positively awful two years with so many health problems, surgeries, and complications that it would take a book to write them all. Pretty much anything that CAN go wrong, will go wrong whenever my mom has any procedure done.

She did have migraines and headaches after the surgery, but that was because she could no longer wear her old prescription glasses. So until she healed and could go get the new prescription, her eyes were a bit blurry for those two weeks and that gave her the headaches. But I'm happy to say that three weeks out, she is doing great and she has a clean bill of health from the eye surgeon! If my mom's cataract surgery can go well, yours has to!!

I am scheduled to have cataract surgery later this month. I will have the other eye done two weeks later. While I am a little apprehensive about it, I am eager to have it done. I am confident that it will be fine and that my vision is going to improve immensely. My doctor has done this procedure more than 18,000 times. I am 65 and have worn glasses since I was seven years old. I will probably only need reading glasses going forward. That is going to take some getting used to.

My best friend's son is a physician. I told him I was having this done and he said that in 20 years of practicing medicine he has never had a patient regret having cataract surgery.

Cataracts run in my family. My mom, her brother and both parents had them. I have had them as well as 2 of my brothers. My mom and 1 brother were in their 40's and my other brother and I were in our 50's. Not one of us had any complications due to the surgeries.

My mom is one of the healthiest people I know and has had it twice. You'll be fine.

Almost all of my grandparents have had this surgery done on both eyes. They can all see a heck of a lot better now. My grandmother said she didn't realize how colors weren't that vibrant and how much brighter they are now. You'll do fine!

Had both eyes done last Fall, piece of cake and better eyesight than I've had my entire life. I wouldn't worry about the injured eye if the doc says he's confident. They don't want to take any unnecessary risks any more than you do. The only small hassle is using the post-op eyedrops and it's only because there are several different ones and you need to schedule them to avoid confusion. Tink! Sprinkle a little PD on our friend here:tink:

I had cataract surgery earlier this year. They did the right eye at the end of March, and the left eye at the beginning of April. The surgery is quick and painless. You will not see anything coming toward you.

I am not the poster child of post op here. My right eye went extremely well. We're monitoring the left eye to see if the lens needs to be adjusted for placement, but EVEN with that - long story short - I can see without my glasses for the first time. Ever. I was wearing glasses in elementary school, and I probably needed them before then and just didn't know it.

I just bought my very first pair of off the rack, cheap, drugstore sunglasses and can SEE through them!!! I know that sounds like a silly thing to celebrate, but if you've spent your entire life looking through lenses to see anything at all, it's a major wow moment.

GOOD LUCK with your surgery! :-)

My mom had it done on both eyes, although it was several months between operations. The implants were of course chosen to correct her nearsightedness, but they couldn't correct the astigmatism. She still wears glasses, and part of it was that the implants didn't precisely correct the the nearsightedness.

I guess you're only going to get it in one eye, so it won't be like the alternating surgery to allow for adjustment. That might be different than the way that most patients get the surgery done.

My dad and stepmom both had it done and are very happy with the results. Pixie dust your way!

Piece of cake!!! Really. I've had both eyes done. The follow up care is more of a pain than the actual surgery. Hate all the drops and such. I had expensive lenses put in to correct my astigmatism, in both eyes. I can now go without glasses..I don't, but I can!!! I need glasses to read, and am so used to wearing them, I just leave them on!
I noticed a difference in my sight as soon as I sat up!!! Dh had both eyes done as well. He just had a hole in his macula repaired. Now that was icky!!! And recuperation was a ton worse than with cataract surgery!
Yes, it's scary to have surgery on your eyes, but the doctors that do it, are doing that proceedure so many times a day, they could probably do it in their sleep!!

My mom had one cataract done last week and is having the other one on May 15th. She was honestly terrified. She is on the waiting list for a lung transplant and said she would rather have that surgery than anyone touch her eyes.

The day of the surgery the doctor had an emergency patient he had to take so she waited 2 hours past her appointment time. When she got in the room, she actually tried to back out and told the nurse "I can't do this, I'm leaving." The nurse quickly brought the dr in and they gave her a light sedative, she felt about 4 eyes drops, and was done.

She did get a migraine the next day, but the day after could see great! And now she's so excited to get the other eye done.

Prayers and pixie dust to you!

Theresa

I had both eyes done. One eye and the other eye the next wk. It was as easy as pie. I was worried too.

W. O. W

What a difference a day makes! I had the surgery yesterday and while there is still a little blood in the eye and a sense of an eyelash in there, the vision is incredible. It's like going from the old standard TV, passing Hi Def and going on to 4K. I'll see my optometrist this afternoon after which I expect to be able to drive again but I'm so relieved to have it over and for the success so far

Thanks for all the prayers, wishes, and Pixie Dust! I can hardly wait to "see" Main Street in Nivember!

W. O. W

What a difference a day makes! I had the surgery yesterday and while there is still a little blood in the eye and a sense of an eyelash in there, the vision is incredible. It's like going from the old standard TV, passing Hi Def and going on to 4K. I'll see my optometrist this afternoon after which I expect to be able to drive again but I'm so relieved to have it over and for the success so far

Thanks for all the prayers, wishes, and Pixie Dust! I can hardly wait to "see" Main Street in Nivember!

Glad it's all going well for you. Surgery is always a scary proposition, but it's amazing what they can do these days. I hope your recovery goes smoothly and enjoy seeing Disney again with some fresh eyes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter