VDH Opening

I'm in with 100/50. I only wanted 75 but the difference after subtracting the full price cost of the 75 pt contract drops the price of the extra 75 pts to 142 (with magical beginning and CSR points) that I just went for it. I live locally so I can always do a staycation pretty much anytime (how I imagine FL ppl feel). And if I need/want to sell, I can't imagine right now at least not breaking even. My head is spinning because it's still a ton of money and there's so many haters in here, but I'm hoping come Sept my new DVC neighbors and I will be enjoying the new resort and it'll all be worth it.
Study the points chart carefully. There are seven seasons spread all over the calendar. Choose wisely and you can get a bargain (as low as 10 points per night); choose poorly and you will get hammered.

but I'm convinced this board is 90% Florida only people and are comparing their experience there with something that isn't comparable. It's so depressing reading post after post of "I would never buy this but the tax". Like take your own advice, don't buy but also stop commenting negativity. It makes it so hard to get excited.
It's difficult for me to justify most direct purchases, but CA is the exception. I doubt we will see another DL entry point like this ever again. If there's another, it will be decades out, not years (or months for the trailers?) like all that FL swamp. It's a lot easier for me to argue VDH than RIV for the same price. Great job getting into DL!

Study the points chart carefully. There are seven seasons spread all over the calendar. Choose wisely and you can get a bargain (as low as 10 points per night); choose poorly and you will get hammered.
Oh I studied the chart for sure and that’s why I landed on 75 points initially. But now I have double that so I guess more staycation for me! I’m eyeing duo rooms too so I’ll be maximizing my points. It’ll be interesting to see how much availability there is. I would love to do last minute booking which I could never do with wdw or Aulani.

I don't think any of this WDW pricing matters to the CA pricing. Restrictions could have been on VGC for years, and no one would have cared. More on my opinion here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/an-argument-for-vdl-as-direct-points-at-wdw.3916825/

Maybe your crystal ball is different than mine?
So your opinion is we won't see cheaper VDH resale. To me that would indicate high demand, and likely mean difficult to get in at 7 mo w/ alternate points, which would mean getting in now is the best bet?

So your opinion is we won't see cheaper VDH resale. To me that would indicate high demand, and likely mean difficult to get in at 7 mo w/ alternate points, which would mean getting in now is the best bet?
Availability and resale are connected but not the same thing.

It actually might have some 7 month availability, I mean, people still get VGC rooms sometimes. Removing the resale riff raff (me) can only help 7 month availability. If you are flexible enough and willing to roll the dice, who knows?

Problem is where you get those "alternate" direct points. I know I would rather be buying VDH than all the others currently for direct sale.

I wouldn't worry about the haters. I think some people are just laser focused on the short term financials. My attitude is if we don't lose money, which we won't, since we will keep the contract for the rest of it or our lives, then I am fine. Many people are willing to stay offsite. That's great! However, if you really want to stay onsite, buy where you want to stay!
The key question -who's buying and paying? YOU. So as long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. :lovestruc

It will be worth it.... there is so much hate

but I'm convinced this board is 90% Florida only people and are comparing their experience there with something that isn't comparable. It's so depressing reading post after post of "I would never buy this but the tax". Like take your own advice, don't buy but also stop commenting negativity. It makes it so hard to get excited.

On a positive front I've seen so many people take the plunge.... I think the bay sayers are going to be sad when they can't get in and have to pay TOT at the Westin or mariott on Harbor. I'm just hoping the haters have something else to complain about and leave us to our new home.... redirect those hater comments to the cabins or poly2 and leave us DL folks alone :)

You're not the only one. I'm also convinced this board is 90% florida people. Haters gonna hate! There's some subtle politics in the a lot of the comments as well when you read through all of them. We took a big plunge. I look at it this way, they don't buy in, great, makes it easier for us to book our rooms. Disney will have no problem renting out the villas for cash, the DLH and GC are almost always fully booked. This isn't WDW with endless room for expansion. It's California....there's no room for another hotel unless they start tearing stuff down, and considering Disney would like to add a third gate long term (disney forward), I see it highly unlikely they will build another huge hotel.

I wouldn't worry about the haters. I think some people are just laser focused on the short term financials. My attitude is if we don't lose money, which we won't, since we will keep the contract for the rest of it or our lives, then I am fine. Many people are willing to stay offsite. That's great! However, if you really want to stay onsite, buy where you want to stay!

Same here. The contract will outlive us, we'll sell or pass it to the kids. We will more than recoup our expenditure in the first 10 years, even with the TOT & dues. We like staying onsite as well...for reasons I've posted elsewhere.

You're not the only one. I'm also convinced this board is 90% florida people. Haters gonna hate! There's some subtle politics in the a lot of the comments as well when you read through all of them. We took a big plunge. I look at it this way, they don't buy in, great, makes it easier for us to book our rooms. Disney will have no problem renting out the villas for cash, the DLH and GC are almost always fully booked. This isn't WDW with endless room for expansion. It's California....there's no room for another hotel unless they start tearing stuff down, and considering Disney would like to add a third gate long term (disney forward), I see it highly unlikely they will build another huge hotel.

Same here. The contract will outlive us, we'll sell or pass it to the kids. We will more than recoup our expenditure in the first 10 years, even with the TOT & dues. We like staying onsite as well...for reasons I've posted elsewhere.
Not from Florida… but we’re out on VDH as well.

Now, I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad deal for those that will use VDH (or maybe rent) at least once every 3 years, but for those, like us, who just visit occasionally, it just doesn’t work. Not even that, I probably won’t use other DVC points there and will continue to use Hilton/Marriott points or try to get into VGC (we did once!) or just book Paradise Pier (or whatever it’s called now) on cash.

So I don’t think East Coast people are “haters”, it’s just that the value proposition is much better using points at WDW (or Aulani or HHI or VB) for them. VDH strikes me as a niche product, which has its pros and cons…

It's difficult for me to justify most direct purchases, but CA is the exception. I doubt we will see another DL entry point like this ever again. If there's another, it will be decades out, not years (or months for the trailers?) like all that FL swamp. It's a lot easier for me to argue VDH than RIV for the same price. Great job getting into DL!
I understand your logic, but Riviera, as a self contained resort, is massively superior in every conceivable way. VDH is a small tower crammed into the grounds of a 50 year old hotel, at a 2-3 day resort. It just does nothing for me.

I understand your logic, but Riviera, as a self contained resort, is massively superior in every conceivable way. VDH is a small tower crammed into the grounds of a 50 year old hotel, at a 2-3 day resort. It just does nothing for me.
But that's the thing not every DVC or Disney property appeals to everyone. We stayed at the GCV last summer and it was okay, but I was underwhelmed and my family prefers the Disneyland Hotel. Why would I use so many points to stay at the Riviera when I can get a room at the Beach Club or Boardwalk for less? 🤷‍♀️

There are many self contained resorts nicer than any Disney property, cheaper than VDH or RIV. You don't have to buy a 20K timeshare to stay at a nice resort.

What inventory do we think will be available on 5/16 for members to book using points? I know that cash bookings had several sell-out dates and am curious how that will apply to points inventory out of the gate.

What inventory do we think will be available on 5/16 for members to book using points? I know that cash bookings had several sell-out dates and am curious how that will apply to points inventory out of the gate.
I know how it would have worked from Florida, it would be limited to how much inventory was declared into the timeshare to authorities. Like RIV started out only declaring a small amount, like 10%, into the timeshare, so only that much was available to DVC, and the rest was cash. But I haven't seen anything like that for VDH, maybe CA doesn't run the same way?

I think it'll be pretty clear for VDH members who added-on. Late July is when non-VDH members (rest of DVC) can book.

There are many self contained resorts nicer than any Disney property, cheaper than VDH or RIV. You don't have to buy a 20K timeshare to stay at a nice resort.
Yes you do, if you want to stay on property. And even the nice ones off property to me seem kinda bland.

The thing for me is that buying a resort in CA when the main use might be WDW is just risky. They can change the 7 month window and shorten it so those who own at VDH can’t trade out until much closer to travel and the same as trading in…

And, I think there is no way to predict how restrictions will impact VDH resale because the big difference between it and VGC is the TOT tax being 5xs as much….so, someone buying there who has to stay there now has to consider that tax as a given.

I know how it would have worked from Florida, it would be limited to how much inventory was declared into the timeshare to authorities. Like RIV started out only declaring a small amount, like 10%, into the timeshare, so only that much was available to DVC, and the rest was cash. But I haven't seen anything like that for VDH, maybe CA doesn't run the same way?

I don't have my contract in front of me but this was in our contracts, or I think the forms linked to from the Disney contracts. The thing that surprised me was 1 grand villa, 1 2 bedroom, 1 2 bedroom lockoff, and one dedicated 1 bedroom. So those rooms are going to be tough (if I am remembering correctly).

What would you realistically pay for a 50 point VDH resale contract right now?
I'm hoping to find VDH down the road (in slump timing, like we just had) at about $140 (because of restrictions), but realistically I'm thinking $160-$180ish is where it would settle in a year or 2. (but economy or other reasons it could end up like VGC if/when it sells out, or could go way cheaper)

It will be worth it.... there is so much hate
Any new DVC is not initially liked. Go back in time and check out how posters talked about VGF! VDH isn't for me (I was saving for it too) but don't let any of what is posted here dampen your excitement. It is such a celebratory moment so enjoy that.
Definitely don't let anyone get you down... its super exciting.!!

I'm in California, and I don't hate, I'm just jealous I cant afford it. lol
So Resale is my only real option, if I plan accordingly.

This was in our contracts. Or I think in the forms linked to from the contract. If I am remembering right I was surprised there was only 1 of each of the following:

Grand villa
2 bedroom
2 bedroom lock off
Dedicated 1 bedroom

So those are going to be tough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter