VDH Opening

My resolve is shaken. I loved my April trip to Disneyland so much but I don't want to keep using my June VGC points in the danger zone. Plus, I'm using calculations of stays in a Grand Villa as my basis for how much I would have to pay, but 99% of the time we'll be in a 1BR or 2BR. Our family who stayed with us loved staying on property so much, they begged me to take some of their money for the stay. I said it was on me this time, but I'll just ask the family to help with some of the tax if we ever splurge for the Grand Villa in the coming years.

I'm punching numbers into my spreadsheets as I speak to see if I should do it. Even at 190 to 200 a point for 300 points it's a better value in the long run then buying AKV direct. Additionally, I want that 11 month booking window to have a chance at the 2BR...

If I could only get some cheap VGC points in a DEC UY :)
My resolve was shaken as well. We're huge fans of Disney animation and thus love the style of VDH. But man, those taxes...

I'm had been looking at getting 65-75 points, so no incentives there... So no rush. I'm going to try to snag a stay in the Fall and test it out, then decide.

Yeah, I don't think there's anyway around the tax if you want to go to Disneyland. It's 17% off site as well. Plus parking at most places too.
that’s a really good point. Everyone’s looking at this TOT as if there are tons of alternatives if you want to go to Disneyland. reminds me that the hotels are adding line items at checkout, too like “resort fees” etc. Anyone trying to do a deep dive into tax and fee comparisons between different accommodations in Anaheim?

Last edited:
My resolve was shaken as well. We're huge fans of Disney animation and thus love the style of VDH. But man, those taxes...

I'm had been looking at getting 65-75 points, so no incentives there... So no rush. I'm going to try to snag a stay in the Fall and test it out, then decide.
I figure that even if we added on at different resort, we would still use them at DL every three years and pay the taxes anyway. We might as well buy where we want to stay,

My resolve is shaken. I loved my April trip to Disneyland so much but I don't want to keep using my June VGC points in the danger zone. Plus, I'm using calculations of stays in a Grand Villa as my basis for how much I would have to pay, but 99% of the time we'll be in a 1BR or 2BR. Our family who stayed with us loved staying on property so much, they begged me to take some of their money for the stay. I said it was on me this time, but I'll just ask the family to help with some of the tax if we ever splurge for the Grand Villa in the coming years.

I'm punching numbers into my spreadsheets as I speak to see if I should do it. Even at 190 to 200 a point for 300 points it's a better value in the long run then buying AKV direct. Additionally, I want that 11 month booking window to have a chance at the 2BR...

If I could only get some cheap VGC points in a DEC UY :)
I too have a June UY for VGC. I used to take April trips but just can’t do it anymore. The UY danger zone and the Uber high point chart is way too scary. We now prefer mid November for the holiday decor.

As a family of 4 with small kids, we love the VGC 1BR for the extra space and laundry. I would love to own enough VDH points for that but a typical week would now cost over a thousand dollars in taxes and parking. I would pay ZERO at VGC. I know that people are coming around to accept the TOT and no parking but I just can’t stomach it, when I know what I have with VGC. It’s a new era for DVC. There was a time when people were shocked by the high point charts at Aulani, VGC, and BLT back in 2009. Now it’s just an afterthought. I think VDH will be the same 10-15 years from now. It’ll be a great deal compared to Studio rack rates that will probably be $1500/night and good neighbor hotels nearing $1k/night. You would think at some point, these rising prices will become untenable for visitors but it hasn’t proved true so far. What to do…..

that’s a really good point. Everyone’s looking at this TOT as if there are tons of t
alternatives if you want to go to Disneyland. reminds me that the hotels are adding line items at checkout, too like “resort fees” etc. Anyone trying to do a deep dive into tax and fee comparisons between different accommodations in Anaheim?
There is one way around the tax: it’s called the Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian. :)
That’s why this is such a kick in the pants. Higher maintenance fees, higher taxes, possible parking charge, and steep purchase price. It’s just not as good a deal as every other DVC property.

I too have a June UY for VGC. I used to take April trips but just can’t do it anymore. The UY danger zone and the Uber high point chart is way too scary. We now prefer mid November for the holiday decor.

As a family of 4 with small kids, we love the VGC 1BR for the extra space and laundry. I would love to own enough VDH points for that but a typical week would now cost over a thousand dollars in taxes and parking. I would pay ZERO at VGC. I know that people are coming around to accept the TOT and no parking but I just can’t stomach it, when I know what I have with VGC. It’s a new era for DVC. There was a time when people were shocked by the high point charts at Aulani, VGC, and BLT back in 2009. Now it’s just an afterthought. I think VDH will be the same 10-15 years from now. It’ll be a great deal compared to Studio rack rates that will probably be $1500/night and good neighbor hotels nearing $1k/night. You would think at some point, these rising prices will become untenable for visitors but it hasn’t proved true so far. What to do…..
Very good points. Is there or breaking point on price? I personally feel Disney is bumping up against it now, but maybe not. Maybe prices really will continue to escalate rapidly and people will continue to pay. If so VDH could be seen as a steal down the road. But I’m skeptical.

There is one way around the tax: it’s called the Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian. :)
That’s why this is such a kick in the pants. Higher maintenance fees, higher taxes, possible parking charge, and steep purchase price. It’s just not as good a deal as every other DVC property.
Except that GCV is really hard to book if you don't own there and getting a resale contract isn't easy either. Unless you already own at GCV there isn't another viable option. It really comes down to how important staying onsite is to someone.

The danger zone is a bit scary, completely agree. We actually like to travel every 3-4 months or so, so no UY is safe. Originally when looking for the 2nd contract I just bought, I wanted the same UY, but came to the realization that having 2 UY is a better option. So now I've got Feb and Jun, and my January trips will now be safer going forward!

Except that GCV is really hard to book if you don't own there and getting a resale contract isn't easy either. Unless you already own at GCV there isn't another viable option. It really comes down to how important staying onsite is to someone.
A few weeks ago, before the release of the VDH pricing, VGC contracts were going for a little over the VDH price per point. Now, it's hard to even find a contract to buy.

Every time there is a price increase but people keep paying. When will people stop paying? Who knows.
The price is palatable, the ToT is inescapable (no matter where you stay in Anaheim, you will get hit with that 15% tax). However, when we saw our Guide at VGC this week, she told us that her customers are giving a HARD "No!" on the parking issue.

The danger zone is a bit scary, completely agree. We actually like to travel every 3-4 months or so, so no UY is safe. Originally when looking for the 2nd contract I just bought, I wanted the same UY, but came to the realization that having 2 UY is a better option. So now I've got Feb and Jun, and my January trips will now be safer going forward!
Can’t agree more. We have both AUL and VGC in two UY: Jun and Dec.

The price is palatable, the ToT is inescapable (no matter where you stay in Anaheim, you will get hit with that 15% tax). However, when we saw our Guide at VGC this week, she told us that her customers are giving a HARD "No!" on the parking issue.
But the tax IS an issue. For instance, we'll be going to DL for 5 nights this summer, but are staying at the Element Anaheim on a promo rate (AAA, I think, I booked it awhile ago...) for $199/night. That translates to a $30 night tax. For at 5-night stay, that's $150 total. If I were to extrapolate the same rate for a Standard Studio at VDH, the tax would be $62.88 a night or $314.40 total.

And at the Element I get free breakfast. Granted, the walk is about 5 minutes longer...

Here is a thought. If you are staying on Hotel points (Marriott, Hilton, etc.) are you paying the TOT?

But the tax IS an issue. For instance, we'll be going to DL for 5 nights this summer, but are staying at the Element Anaheim on a promo rate (AAA, I think, I booked it awhile ago...) for $199/night. That translates to a $30 night tax. For at 5-night stay, that's $150 total. If I were to extrapolate the same rate for a Standard Studio at VDH, the tax would be $62.88 a night or $314.40 total.

And at the Element I get free breakfast. Granted, the walk is about 5 minutes longer...

Here is a thought. If you are staying on Hotel points (Marriott, Hilton, etc.) are you paying the TOT?

I would assume someone is. Even those at VGC pay it..it’s just on the owners and not the guests who use the rooms..and it is a much lower amount.

I would assume someone is. Even those at VGC pay it..it’s just on the owners and not the guests who use the rooms..and it is a much lower amount.
So, just for fun, I looked at booking a random date in September with HHonors points. It did not charge a tax. However, that same room booked on cash had a 15% tax.

Just wondering why that would be different. I mean, those rooms have a "value" just like you would using a timeshare, correct?

I've always thought TOT's were a bit dicey, as essentially, governments are doing a double taxation (as they already get property taxes). My guess is DVD had to do this to get the green light from Anaheim on the project.

Actually no, you don't. I booked a night at the Marriott Anaheim on points and paid nothing. Maybe they include it in the points?

But at VGC it’s $0.51 per point. VDH is 5x that.
Actually no, you don't. I booked a night at the Marriott Anaheim on points and paid nothing. Maybe they include it in the points?
Thank God!

So, just for fun, I looked at booking a random date in September with HHonors points. It did not charge a tax. However, that same room booked on cash had a 15% tax.

Just wondering why that would be different. I mean, those rooms have a "value" just like you would using a timeshare, correct?

I've always thought TOT's were a bit dicey, as essentially, governments are doing a double taxation (as they already get property taxes). My guess is DVD had to do this to get the green light from Anaheim on the project.
That is everyone’s guess. Who really knows. The failed Disney luxury hotel a few years back might have made the city council more emboldened to force this new TAT rate on VDH. Pay it or don’t build it. Disney agreed with it knowing they can pass it on to the consumers. Same with parking. Someone on FB made a great point about how parking is already so limited at DLR. Most VDH patrons are probably driving to Anaheim from somewhere near the west coast and they simply do not have the capacity to support 350 rooms of parking space.

I have an October use year, could you explain how a second UY is beneficial? Honestly just curious, wife and I are considering a second contract and am weighing the pros and cons

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter