VDH Opening

I have an October use year, could you explain how a second UY is beneficial? Honestly just curious, wife and I are considering a second contract and am weighing the pros and cons
I have a March UY for WDW and June for DLR. we mostly go to WDW in August, before the banking deadline of October. And we go to DLR in November, before the January bank deadline. If I were to go to DLR in April, I would not be able to bank my June VGC points if my kids got sick and had to cancel. Those points would go into holding and there will be very little chance I’d me able to book something at VGC within the 60 day window before the points die. I would also not be able to bank them.

There is one way around the tax: it’s called the Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian. :)
That’s why this is such a kick in the pants. Higher maintenance fees, higher taxes, possible parking charge, and steep purchase price. It’s just not as good a deal as every other DVC property.

And as a biased VGC owner, we feel the Grand Californian is also a superior resort, and not by a small amount.

The ability to be at the pool, go into the park and ride Grizzly River (or another ride) then walk back to our spot at the pool is unmatched.

Better resort amenities, better room views, better location, cheaper dues/no additional taxes/free parking, are all reasons I'd pay up to $300 resale versus $230 direct for VDH which also have resale restrictions if you do want/need to sell later.

If a person really wants VDH to stay at VDH, then I would just wait for resale contracts that should offer a great savings over direct.

I have an October use year, could you explain how a second UY is beneficial? Honestly just curious, wife and I are considering a second contract and am weighing the pros and cons
Generally, it's not.

In my case, it works because of my traveling frequency. We like about 4 5-6 night stays per year at DLR, relatively evenly spaced out. So for example, my initial UY was February, but one of our regular times to visit is mid to late January for my son's birthday. This is far from ideal, but the UY works great for my other trips. The reason it's not ideal is because if I have to cancel my January trip for any reason after the banking window closes, I risk losing my points.

So, having a June UY allows me to safely book for January and then if I cancel, I can still safely reallocate those points. It also allows my January stay to float into Feb if that works better for us that year (To book a vacation that overlaps 2 UY, it requires 2 separate reservations). Conversely, the Feb UY allows the same flexibility for our April-June stay.

There was no single UY that avoided this problem for all of our potential stays, as no single month is guaranteed that we'll never travel, expert perhaps July. If this describes you, then 2 UY is a good option.

Here is a thought. If you are staying on Hotel points (Marriott, Hilton, etc.) are you paying the TOT?

Actually no, you don't. I booked a night at the Marriott Anaheim on points and paid nothing. Maybe they include it in the points?
I can confirm this as well. Stayed on Marriott points across the street at the Fairfield Inn. Paid nothing except for parking ($24) which was taxed at 17% ($28.04 total).

So, just for fun, I looked at booking a random date in September with HHonors points. It did not charge a tax. However, that same room booked on cash had a 15% tax.

Just wondering why that would be different. I mean, those rooms have a "value" just like you would using a timeshare, correct?

I've always thought TOT's were a bit dicey, as essentially, governments are doing a double taxation (as they already get property taxes). My guess is DVD had to do this to get the green light from Anaheim on the project.

Maybe like with AUL, you get the bill at check out? Or that system covers the tax for those using points?

I can’t say for sure, but if it is something the city requires, it’s getting covered somewhere

I know but it’s still there..so it’s being paid..it just have the same bite as it does at VDH.
VGC and Aulani TAT is like a mosquito bite. VDH is like a bee sting. I don’t think people would have cared if VDH’s TAT was close to VGC. Add no parking to the mix and that just made it that much worse. But like I said, I believe this could be a new era for DVC, at least in Anaheim. It may suck now, but will be an afterthought 10-15 years from now.

I can confirm this as well. Stayed on Marriott points across the street at the Fairfield Inn. Paid nothing except for parking ($24) which was taxed at 17% ($28.04 total).
How’d you like the Fairfield. We have a one night reservation at the courtyard next door in November before VGC and our kids are looking forward to their pool and bunk beds. I’m glad I won’t pay an extra TAT for the room booked on points.

How’d you like the Fairfield. We have a one night reservation at the courtyard next door in November before VGC and our kids are looking forward to their pool and bunk beds. I’m glad I won’t pay an extra TAT for the room booked on points.
Fairfield Inn has historically been my go-to when staying down there. Rates for both points and cash have been reasonable when I've gone. The building and rooms are no frills, but have been very clean. Nothing will beat Grand Cal, but it's close enough that I don't feel like I have to be a rope drop till close park commando- I can easily go back and rest/return if need be.

I also like the convenient quick service options (Panera/Mc Donald's) that are adjacent to the property if you want to take a break from Disney food prices. The only knock I have on this particular Fairfield Inn is the lack of breakfast, of which there is none (something that won't matter at Courtyard). That, and the pool (boring rectangle) if you care about that (I don't). Courtyard does have a fun pool though with multiple water slides.

The danger zone is a bit scary, completely agree. We actually like to travel every 3-4 months or so, so no UY is safe. Originally when looking for the 2nd contract I just bought, I wanted the same UY, but came to the realization that having 2 UY is a better option. So now I've got Feb and Jun, and my January trips will now be safer going forward!

I'm bummed that we like to travel in January/February/December since our UY is June. But it was the best contract we could find for us at the time so we will just have to risk it those years we go in Jan/Feb. But it does make me nervous! Now you guys make me want a 2nd UY eventually. Ha!

I'm bummed that we like to travel in January/February/December since our UY is June. But it was the best contract we could find for us at the time so we will just have to risk it those years we go in Jan/Feb. But it does make me nervous! Now you guys make me want a 2nd UY eventually. Ha!
June sounds fine for you. February or March would be bad. Maybe it's not "ideal," but June keeps the option of moving a trip up to Halloween season one year with a regular trip as your fallback. Also, June is the most abundant UY for VGC resale, so it works to your advantage if you want to add on. That also factored into me opting for June as my 2nd for VGC.

Did it look like the bathroom just has a shower? No tub?
That is certainly the trend with any new hotel builds I have seen. Bums me out because nothing is better than a hot bath after walking around all day. Just head to the hot tub I guess.

I think it's weird to not have bathtubs in resorts that are geared towards families with little kids.
From everything I’ve seen there aren’t any tub/shower combos, just the standalone tubs in the larger villas. Not ideal but we have to book 1BRs and up for our family of 5 anyway, so we’ll just use the big tub for them. They’re not as good for bathing little ones though, since the sides are so high.

I think it's weird to not have bathtubs in resorts that are geared towards families with little kids.

We are finishing a remodel on the upstairs bathrooms in our house. These are used for guests and our son. The contractor was surprised that we wanted shower/tub combos. They were trying to convince us that just showers would be better. That would leave the giant, deep, jetted tub in the master bath as the only tub in the house. How the heck do you bathe little kids in that :confused3 It's fine for a short vacation, but as your permanent home, you want something that's not a pain. I know showers look nicer than the combos and are easier to get in/out of. However, little kids and babies don't usually do well in showers. At least some of the studios should have had a combo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter