Vaccines now mandatory 12 and up for Disney cruises

Disney hasn't released any protocols at all for the Wonder cruises so we really don't know what to expect there. At this point it would be the only Disney ship sailing without a vaccine requirement if they do choose to make it optional.

The rule in Washington State only applies to ships sailing with fewer than 250 passengers, so it doesn't apply to cruise ships. I don't know of any similar regulation in California. It's likely that neither state has the legal authority to regulate large cruise ships in that way (although that doesn't mean they won't try).
HI currently has a 72 hour testing requirement for all non-vaxxed travelers. It will be interesting to see how that plays out for the Vancouver - HI cruise.

If the Florida stay is seen as precedent, then I agree that the state would be seen as overstepping. If a state can't forbid vaccines then it also can't require maybe.

And, I realize I should correct myself. I think the Alaska cruises were allowed to sail due to the PVSA exception. For that, they have to adhere to the CSO which requires the 95/98 vaccination rate.

Honestly, the whole situation is so hard to keep track of with all the different regulations applied to different states, etc.
Heh, indeed. The CSO is still mandatory for all sailings from the US outside of Florida (so even the Baja sailings count), but they could choose to do a test cruise in lieu of the 95/98% vaccination rate if they wanted to. I think it's pretty likely they'll do the test cruise route so they can have more kids on board, but I'm still hopeful that they'll mirror the new policies and make vaccines mandatory for those that are eligible for them.

If the Florida stay is seen as precedent, then I agree that the state would be seen as overstepping. If a state can't forbid vaccines then it also can't require maybe.
Trying to remember the exact law from my U.S. Constitutional Law class in college 40+ years ago, but I believe states can impose laws that are stricter than Federal Law, but can't have laws that are more lenient. So a state could require vaccines no matter what U.S. Law is, but they can't forbid them if required by Federal law.

I'm still confused how Disney can require proof of vaccination without violating Florida law. I understand NCL has a lawsuit, but it only applies to them

I'm still confused how Disney can require proof of vaccination without violating Florida law. I understand NCL has a lawsuit, but it only applies to them
It isn't Disney directly requiring vaccines. It is the Bahamas. They, in essence are just following the law of the port they are going to. Florida has no say in the laws in the Bahamas. If you want to cruise to the Bahamas, you have to be vaccinated.

It isn't Disney directly requiring vaccines. It is the Bahamas. They, in essence are just following the law of the port they are going to. Florida has no say in the laws in the Bahamas. If you want to cruise to the Bahamas, you have to be vaccinated.
Which is likely the reason the requirement on DCL's website directly applies to only Bahama's sailings during the dates on the Bahamian order.

Shouldn't if you are 12 or older be added?

A cruise line can't let you cruise if you don't meet the qualifications imposed by foreign governments. Check Alaska cruise forums. People with DUI are frequently not allowed into Canada. Passengers have had issues when Canada screened final manifest

Shouldn't Disney suggest passengers cruising November and later be vaccinated? At least mention the possibility of an extension of the Bahamian policy

The short answer is “its complicated”. Cruises operate in interstate and international commerce. Constitutionally, Congress is the only entity that csn really regulate that.

It’s way more complicated than that but if I had to bet, I‘d bet that’s what SCOTUS will eventually say. I haven’t read the judge’s order in the NCL case

A cruise line can't let you cruise if you don't meet the qualifications imposed by foreign governments. Check Alaska cruise forums. People with DUI are frequently not allowed into Canada. Passengers have had issues when Canada screened final manifest

Shouldn't Disney suggest passengers cruising November and later be vaccinated? At least mention the possibility of an extension of the Bahamian policy
This must be impacted by treaties but that’s way outside my area of expertise

Disney hasn't released any protocols at all for the Wonder cruises so we really don't know what to expect there. At this point it would be the only Disney ship sailing without a vaccine requirement if they do choose to make it optional.

If the Wonder sails from (or port) in Vancouver, Canadian government has a requirement for Vaccination for Cruise ships (that sail overnight) along with travel by air and interprovincial trains. So if that remains, DCL would also need to implement a requirement to be fully vaccinated to board an Alaskan cruise the departs or stops in Canadian waters.

I wonder if Disney is reaching out to anyone on the 9/3 sailing to ensure everyone knows these new rules (other than the email that went out).

Thankfully we are all vaccinated and the new rule doesn't impact us, but I am fully expecting to see others at the port caught off-guard and upset about the new changes.

If the Wonder sails from (or port) in Vancouver, Canadian government has a requirement for Vaccination for Cruise ships (that sail overnight) along with travel by air and interprovincial trains. So if that remains, DCL would also need to implement a requirement to be fully vaccinated.
True, but the Wonder isn't scheduled to return to Canada until the April 21, 2022 sailing.

If the Bahamas drops the requirement I would assume Disney will do the same. Mexico has no requirements so it will be interesting to see how DCL approaches California cruises. Whatever happens, I expect to see lots of discounts and empty ships.

No email for our November 14th sailing yet - characteristic DCL lately; don't say anything until you absolutely have to! :)

I was hoping that with this amount of time, we'd see more detail on any other potential changes - with a 100% (or as close as possible) vaccinated cruise, you don't need to have special times or seating areas set up for the unvaxxed and can potentially loosen some other rules. I suspect that we won't know how that looks until we're one or two cruises into the new policy.

As for the law, my understanding is they will be breaking Florida's law, like every other cruise line sailing from Florida except Norwegian, so either they all join Norwegian's suit to get a quick injuction or they put serious pressure on the Florida gov't to add a cruise ship exemption despite the gov'ts insistence that they wouldn't. So would they rather lose some face by adjusting the law, or single-handedly force all the cruise lines to not be able to sail at all from Florida? In my mind, the ball's in their court now.

As for the law, my understanding is they will be breaking Florida's law, like every other cruise line sailing from Florida except Norwegian, so either they all join Norwegian's suit to get a quick injuction or they put serious pressure on the Florida gov't to add a cruise ship exemption despite the gov'ts insistence that they wouldn't. So would they rather lose some face by adjusting the law, or single-handedly force all the cruise lines to not be able to sail at all from Florida? In my mind, the ball's in their court now.
All of the cruise lines except for NCL have carefully worded their releases to say that it is the Bahamian Government (or Sint Maarten, etc.) that is requiring the vaccine documentation as a condition of boarding, not the cruise line. IMO, that's their attempt at threading the needle here, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were doing so in coordination with Florida because if Florida accepts that work-around it's a fairly simple solution that allows them to sail without Florida having to retreat from their position.

If the Bahamas drops the requirement I would assume Disney will do the same. Mexico has no requirements so it will be interesting to see how DCL approaches California cruises. Whatever happens, I expect to see lots of discounts and empty ships.
Every Caribbean Island has a unique protocol for vaccinated/unvaxed/pre-testing. DCL will have to determine what one standard will qualify for all the islands they port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter