• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using DDP knowing you won't get value?

Traveling with 5 (2 adults, kids 10, 8, 8) back in late 2015, we chose connecting rooms at All Star Sports rather than try to cram 5 people into a moderate; plus, those few 5-person moderate rooms are in such high demand that they weren't discounted at all, whereas we got a free dining (QSDP, upgraded to DDP) discount at AS Sports. (Technically, two value rooms cost more, but after discounts, it was closer to break even, and soooooooo much more space!)

Deluxe resorts were out of our price range, especially considering how little we used the resort outside of sleeping and showering.
I only stay deluxe when I am renting DVC points to do it. It cost me about the same as a moderate room to rent a DVC studio.

The other bit of "insurance" you can get with the DDP is the once you add the package, that cost is fixed, regardless of whether or not restaurant prices rise after that point (as they do once or twice a year). But again, that's a price-related issue and not entirely germane to the subject of the thread.

I hit that one last year--I had booked a package, and then the prices went up. Saved me a bit of money.

I read that it was in the brochure somewhere in the fine print, but when I brought up the current brochure I could not find it. Can you give me a link to the current one that has the fine print and direct me where I would be able to find it

My apologies x2. First for taking so long to respond. Stitch had eaten the page every time I tried to get the pdf. Someone on another thread finally said it was a chrome issue, so I tried it with another browser.

Which leads to the second apology. You are correct! The little asterisk and fine print allowing the substitution is no longer on the brochure. It WAS on the earlier 2017 brochures. Thanks for alerting me (and everyone else) to this very subtle change on Disney's part.

The funny thing is that the fine print explaining the POSSIBILITY of exchanging a TS dessert for something else is still there even though that was and is so sporadic in practice. Why did they leave that and take away the other???

My apologies x2. First for taking so long to respond. Stitch had eaten the page every time I tried to get the pdf. Someone on another thread finally said it was a chrome issue, so I tried it with another browser.

Which leads to the second apology. You are correct! The little asterisk and fine print allowing the substitution is no longer on the brochure. It WAS on the earlier 2017 brochures. Thanks for alerting me (and everyone else) to this very subtle change on Disney's part.

The funny thing is that the fine print explaining the POSSIBILITY of exchanging a TS dessert for something else is still there even though that was and is so sporadic in practice. Why did they leave that and take away the other???
No worries about taking a while to respond :). I noticed that it was still there for TS desserts: "*Ask your server about potential substitutions, but substitutions not guaranteed.". Do you know what they do allow you to substitute?

The fine print on the DDP also says:

"Disney dining plans are unavailable for Guests under the age of 3, but they may share from an adult plate at no extra charge, or an additional meal may be purchased from the menu. The price of the
meal will be added to your bill. Disney dining plan locations are subject to change without notice or liability. Theme Park admission is required for some dining locations. Operational hours may
vary. Disney dining plan meals and snacks may not be redeemed for cash in whole or in part, sold separately, transferred or refunded. Disney dining plan meal and snack entitlements are based
on the length of your package stay at your Disney Resort hotel. The owners of the Walt Disney World Resort shall not be responsible for the non-utilization of package components due to refurbishing, capacity, inclement weather or any circumstance beyond their control."

I'm still confused about the ability to share with others not on your reservation. Do you know if the DDP credit sharing is official or unofficial? It seems that sharing with other guests would be a "transfer". Or did they remove specific wording banning sharing? It seems that all the blogs suddenly reported that sharing was now OK.

I noticed that it was still there for TS desserts: "*Ask your server about potential substitutions, but substitutions not guaranteed.". Do you know what they do allow you to substitute?

It is totally up to each restaurant what, if anything, they will allow you to sub. The VERY few reports that have come back have included a small salad, a cup of soup, or an extra vegetable (one that is already included with any of the entrees). However, even those were not consistent. That's why I don't get why they kept this on the brochure. The majority of restaurants just say, "sorry, but no," when asked about trading out the dessert.

Do you know if the DDP credit sharing is official or unofficial? It seems that sharing with other guests would be a "transfer". Or did they remove specific wording banning sharing? It seems that all the blogs suddenly reported that sharing was now OK.

It is definitely UNofficial. They removed the specific wording that prohibited it in the past, but I agree with you that the word "transfer" means giving it to someone not on the plan. Not sure why they are allowing it, but the multitude of guests who have said they had no problem seems to suggest it's not a problem.

"Transfer" means you can't give the credits to someone else to use; it's actually not not a prohibition for you using the credits on them, as you never transfer the credits, they're still yours.

Basically it just means you can't take an unused balance and gift, trade, or sell it to anyone else, kind of like a park ticket in some respects.

I guess what I am saying is, who has used the dining plan without obsessively trying to optimize it? Going to the most expensive places, getting the most expensive item. Doing character lunch/dinner instead of breakfast. Etc.

This is exactly my plan. We got it, for convenience sake. We'll enjoy it, and go with my preferred mode on vacation- no stress (well, except about that Ohana reservation that I can't get that is haunting me. :P )

Who has used the DDP knowing that you were unlikely to come out ahead?

We have. We have used the DxDDP for the last 5 years (4 trips). If you count the fact that we had free DDP and upgraded we have always saved tons of money. Even looking at the full cost we have saved 3 out of 4 times. We came out about $150 behind last time; 9 nights with 4 disney adults.

We ended up trying to change how we did Disney. We went 2nd week of September so ZERO crowds. We tried to sleep in, so we had a couple of days scheduled with early lunch instead of breakfast and brought protein bars. After the first 3 days we switched back to our old ways of being at the park at or before 9 am (and so needing breakfast). All four of us realized that as soon as the sun breaks thru the windows our bodies say GET UP, YOU'RE AT DISNEY WORLD. Also we had a minor mishap with food and wine where we used our GC that was for Alcohol for some of the food instead of our snack credits. Oops.

Stacy

I guess what I am saying is, who has used the dining plan without obsessively trying to optimize it? Going to the most expensive places, getting the most expensive item. Doing character lunch/dinner instead of breakfast. Etc.

That would be us. We are what DH and I both consider to be the "target audience" for the DxDDP.

DH wants lunch and dinner inside everyday. We are from MI but always go to WDW in Aug/Sept/Oct where it is hot and humid. It gives us time to cool off, hydrate and give our feet a rest.

We are also a charactor meal family. DH makes special autograph books for the characters to sign. He bribes the children to stand and do meet and greets. Every trip is Tucker House, Akershus, last year we skipped CRT but this year we are going back. We rotate thru 1900 park Faire, garden grill & crystal Palace.

The struggle is reservation juggling, not value optimization.

Stacy

The calculators are not accurate. They use averages, which is why if someone is on the fence I suggest they cost it out, meal by meal.

My family does not try to "do everything right" but we do tend to save money on the plan. If we paid OOP you may be right....we would spend less, but not due to your reasoning. I would order chicken instead of steak. Not because I prefer chicken, I cook it all the time at home, but because I cannot get past the cost of a steak dinner. I would reconsider my pressed pot of coffee but if i can have it on the plan, i prefer it. I am not the only one who would make most choices based on price rather than preference.

At home, I do the shopping and the cooking, so I balance a budget with purchasing healthy choices for my family, and while I am darn good at it, it is tiring. When we dine out it is a once in a while event, so I order the items i want, and I do not think about cost. It is one night. Vacation is three meals a day for at least a week. I cannot avoid looking at the prices that long. The DDP frees me from that problem that may only make sense to me.

When folks declare that the DDP will not work, what they mean is that it will not work for them. If we break even and we always do, then I am ahead because I wait all year for vacation. At home I am the person who makes those shopping and cooking decisions and follows up with all that goes along with those decisions. Vacation is my time to choose without guilt. I do what I need to do ahead of time including a quick spreadsheet to be sure that the meals I booked make sense to buy the plan. Many times convenience really mean Peace of financial mind, as it does on my case.

We are trying to decide about whether or not to do the DDP. We aren't soda drinkers, but LOVE unsweet Iced Tea IF it is BREWED, we don't like the TEA made from the syrups. We also LOVE pressed coffee and I noticed in your post, that some places have it. Is it standard? And do you know if the tea is brewed?

I even purchase Disney Gift cards at Target, add them to my Disney Vacation Account, and save my 5% on top of receiving the $20 bonus per $1,000 applied.

Please explain this. I understand about the 5% Save with Target Red Card. Our Target only sells Disney cards at $50, we can't find anything higher. What do you mean by the $20 bonus per $1000 applied?

Please explain this. I understand about the 5% Save with Target Red Card. Our Target only sells Disney cards at $50, we can't find anything higher. What do you mean by the $20 bonus per $1000 applied?
My local store sells $100, $50, and $25. I prefer the $100 since there are less to merge, but money saved is money saved :D I now purchase them online from target . com. It has the $100 cards. You can also use ebates which is an online rebate program and get an additional 1% back!

The bonus $20 comes from the Disney Vacation account. If you open an account 120+ days before you pay off your trip, deposit the merged gift cards into this vacation account, and then use the account to pay off your trip, you receive a bonus $20 Disney gift card directly from Disney for every $1000 applied!

Through all the gift cards, I save $79.50, per $1000. May not seem like a lot to some, or some cannot be bothered, but the savings usually covers part or all of my airfare so I love it!!

Disney Vacation Account: https://disneyvacationaccount.disney.go.com/how-my-vacation-account-works/

"Use your Disney Vacation Account savings to book your vacation online or over the phone through Disney. Please note that Adventures by Disney vacations must be booked by phone.

Please note, a temporary hold of up to 7 business days may be placed on any new funds that you contribute to your Disney Vacation Account.

You'll be eligible for a $20 Disney Gift Card for every $1000 you spend on qualified vacation purchases with your Disney Vacation Account prior to December 31, 2017 (date subject to extension), up to a total $500 in Disney Gift Card(s) per household. Your Disney Vacation Account must be active for a minimum of 120 days at the time of spending in order to receive this bonus. Request your Disney Gift Card(s) 4-6 weeks in advance of your vacation date to allow time for delivery to your mailing address. See FAQs for complete details.

Enjoy your vacation knowing that you've saved in advance!"

We are trying to decide about whether or not to do the DDP. We aren't soda drinkers, but LOVE unsweet Iced Tea IF it is BREWED, we don't like the TEA made from the syrups. We also LOVE pressed coffee and I noticed in your post, that some places have it. Is it standard? And do you know if the tea is brewed?
I believe the rapid refill tea is Coca-Cola's Gold Peak. It comes in multiple varieties including unsweetened. Not sure if it is brewed or from concentrate or whatever. The coffee is Joffrey's and not pressed pot. I think the PP was saying the dining plan allows them to purchase pressed coffee at table service meals as the non-alcoholic beverage. It is delicious!

The tea and coffee do not fall victim to the same Rapid Refill chip limitations. You can fill them up as fast as you would like or dump if you dislike and get soda right away without waiting the 2 minutes.

Wow-what a thread:mic:

I truly had no clue this was such a hot topic-I thought on site/ off site was heated.......

To answer the ops question-
We have not purchased the dining plan knowing we won't be ahead..
We have however had 'free dining' and not utilised all our credits and not sweated it one single bit

To each their own is my philosophy

the dining plan allows them to purchase pressed coffee at table service meals as the non-alcoholic beverage. It is delicious!

We do NOT like soda, so we are trying to decide if the DDP will be worth it for us when we go for 10day beginning Dec. Can you get PressedPot coffee in place of soda as part of the DDP? And is it available at most TS places? At this point we are leaning toward NOT getting the DDP as we had rather get a salad/appetizer . . . and we usually split a dessert IF we get one.

We do NOT like soda, so we are trying to decide if the DDP will be worth it for us when we go for 10day beginning Dec. Can you get PressedPot coffee in place of soda as part of the DDP? And is it available at most TS places? At this point we are leaning toward NOT getting the DDP as we had rather get a salad/appetizer . . . and we usually split a dessert IF we get one.
I have never used the dining plan, but I know some places allow substitutions such as Whispering Canyon Cafe will let you get bottomless milkshakes for the non-alcoholic drink. The only places I have dined at that I have ordered pressed pot coffee at are Kona Cafe, Grand Floridian Cafe, and The Wave. I would ask on the dining thread about the other drink and coffee options!

Some restaurants offer pressed pot coffee and it does qualify as the beverage on the plan. Yum!

I'm probably going to be sorry, but...

I have never not broken even on the dining plan, even the trip with the picky vegetarian and counter service (I ate a lot of other people's credits while they got small things OOP). That one we weren't sure we would actually get our value out of but sanity is worth something.

We eat a lot. Constantly. I know it's too much food for some people, but we're always trying to spread those credits out to cover what we want to eat. We do "maximize" but it's not exactly a hardship.

I always try to hang onto my receipts and run the numbers, but some time around dinnertime on the first day, we're obviously ahead and it's become a nuisance. I do, for every trip, run a typical day of what I think we'd actually order and compare it to the dining plan. I also run the value of every "credit", which the family has as a target. If someone wants something significantly under the target, we pay OOP and save the credit. It'll get used later. We've never wasted a credit (a few have become lunch for the road or the train, but that's not a waste).

We're probably good candidates for the DxDP, but but it's enough more up front to pain me, and we don't want to commit to that many table service meals (or tipping on them).

We've taken two trips without DDP. The first one we were offsite in a rented house with a large family group, and it was fine, but we cooked a lot, which isn't my first choice on vacation. The second was offsite, with YES tickets, and a tighter food budget that we had anticipated. We spent less than we would have with the DDP, even QS, but there was a lot of cranky yelling and leaving the World earlier than we wanted to because we were starving and our dinner budget was not going to go very far onsite. It was a miserable experience on what was otherwise a good trip, and a marked contrast to the ones where we ate as much as we wanted and had tasty sandwiches to eat at Georgia Welcome on the way home.

I ran conservative numbers for a sample day for this trip and I have Turf Club--
Prime Rib, Ice Cream, Soda--40.00
Prime Rib, Chocolate Torte, Coffee--42.00
Lamb Loin, Chocolate Torte, Coffee-44.00

WPE--Chicken, Soda--19.00
Salmon, Soda--23.00

BB Wolf Sausage Company--3 Little Pigs, Frozen Lemonade--15.00
Pretzel Braid--6.00 Snack Credit

Snack Credits-Goofy Glacier-4.00
Two Starbucks--10.00

I'm at $203, for a plan I've spent just under $210 for, with two snack credits available, so even at the average of $4 each, I'm ahead without figuring the resort mugs (which we like but wouldn't pay for).

This is, by the way, for what's probably a ticketless trip, so we'll have lots of time to eat. We will pay for a few things OOP, and likely have an evening snack in the room. This isn't everybody, but it works for us. And I do buy Disney gift cards ahead of time to pay for the things we're likely to want that are not on the plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter