• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Using DDP knowing you won't get value?

Just to be clear, we do not obsess about maximizing the plan. We do not like CS, we typically spend half days at the parks, and dining is a big part of our trips. Our kids consider Ohana, Chef Mickeys, and Hoop Dee Doo as important to our Disney trips as 7DMT or BTMRR. I also have "disney adults" who would prefer a filet, crab legs, or lobster to chicken nuggets any day.

The dining plan certainly is not for everyone, but there is definitely those who will either come close to even, and like the option of knowing the cost up front, or save on the plan.

I don't think anyone is saying to get a dining plan knowing you will spend hundreds of dollars more than you have to, but when the costs are about even, why should it be so controversial?
I think the DDP is great insurance against added costs that are unforeseen, like kids that want crab legs and lobster. I don't want yo have to say no to stuff like that on vacation.

So, since we are talking about kids and good food, what are everyone's "splurge meals" that you enjoy or let the kids splurge on, but would feel guilty getting without DDP?

For us, we love a good steak, but I just cannot usually talk myself into ordering the more expensive cuts at home. I enjoy at least one good filet at Disney as does DD. DD always gets lobster or scallops she sonewhere that we wouldn't normally get at home but LOVE. DH loves ethnic food and always orders something he hasn't had or cannot get at home.

What do you guys splurge on?

I agree with the argument that if I am on vacation I don't want to think about added costs, so I did the DDP for a couple of trips. I found myself so worried about working around the dining plan that I wasn't giving myself the freedom to eat where we wanted and when we wanted. Trying to get the most out of DDP with single credit meals, making ADRs at certain times, trying to get every last snack out of it...I found it more of a hassle than it was worth to justify the cost savings. I rather pay a little more OOP and have the additional freedom that you have with cash/credit.

I agree with the argument that if I am on vacation I don't want to think about added costs, so I did the DDP for a couple of trips. I found myself so worried about working around the dining plan that I wasn't giving myself the freedom to eat where we wanted and when we wanted. Trying to get the most out of DDP with single credit meals, making ADRs at certain times, trying to get every last snack out of it...I found it more of a hassle than it was worth to justify the cost savings. I rather pay a little more OOP and have the additional freedom that you have with cash/credit.
Sounds like it works the opposite for you than for us. I can totally see not wanting it if it stresses you. Definitely not worth doing anything that adds to your stress on vacation.

I think it works for me because I am nuts about a plan and would have every meal planned with or without DDP. I can see it working against a more go with the flow trip.

Sounds like it works the opposite for you than for us. I can totally see not wanting it if it stresses you. Definitely not worth doing anything that adds to your stress on vacation.

I think it works for me because I am nuts about a plan and would have every meal planned with or without DDP. I can see it working against a more go with the flow trip.
You sound like me. Lol. I have a binder with all my adrs printed out in it. Lol. My son calls it my book of food obsession. Lol.

I've had enough things to stress over during the last 9 months. Disney is my time for relaxing.

Let's take this situation you just proposed where the plan and OOP are for all intents and purposes a wash. If your plans change and you skip a meal, or change a restaurant, or whatever... which option has a higher chance of losing you money? OOP is essentially $0. The dining plan is not. There's the controversy.

People buy homeowners insurance for the unlikely event that something bad happens. Even if the dining plan saves a little money, paying OOP is like having insurance against unforeseen problems. You lose the small savings, but you also avoid the bigger penalties when your plans go awry. The DDP is like having anti-insurance. Generally, it costs more AND it carries a penalty when disaster strikes. It is the opposite of "peace of mind" and "convenience." This is not a concept eeyoreandtink can comprehend, so I'm glad she put me on ignore so she won't respond muddying up this thread anymore.

It doesn't always cost more, that is what you are refusing to acknowledge. And maybe for you it is the "opposite of peace of mind and convenience", but that is not true for everyone.

Also, when true disaster strikes, such as a hurricane, Disney will refund you the cost of any credits you did not use.

You need to acknowledge that the plan makes no sense to you, but it does to others. And for some, it does indeed save money. Maybe not for you, heck not for me every time, which is why I don't use it every time. But people that do are not the idiots you seem to think. People can do things differently and not be stupid. It would be nice if you would stop badgering people to try and see things your way. Your way is not the only way nor is it the "right" way for everybody. It is right for you, which is all that should really matter.

So, since we are talking about kids and good food, what are everyone's "splurge meals" that you enjoy or let the kids splurge on, but would feel guilty getting without DDP?

For us, we love a good steak, but I just cannot usually talk myself into ordering the more expensive cuts at home. I enjoy at least one good filet at Disney as does DD. DD always gets lobster or scallops she sonewhere that we wouldn't normally get at home but LOVE. DH loves ethnic food and always orders something he hasn't had or cannot get at home.

What do you guys splurge on?

We have always let our DGD order what she wanted to have, at home or on vacation. She would go back and forth between mac and cheese, nuggets and steak. WE did the same with the little ones we took with us last year. They also went back d forth between the children's menu and the adult choices. We would have done it with or without the plan, but the plan we chose removed the financial considerations.

WE also like signature dining and character meals, so we plan several each trip.

It sure is not for everyone. I like a solid plan, and have been teased that vacations are not all about the food. Um...for me the meals play a huge part, LOL< but I know others are more stressed about ADR's then thrilled. I think that for you, no plan is way better than having one. The snacks are not ever an issue for my crew...my son moves from ice cream treat to ice cream treat, knows every Sundae spot in the World, and has calculated the value of specific treats he is t cheap buy but wants to bring home. The negotiator actually tries to get his sister to give up a CS meal so he can trade her credit for three of those big candy bags or trail mix!!

This crew of mine s the reason I am thrilled I can have a glass of wine at BOG! LOL!

Me too. I love that aspect of planning a trip.

No one here has suggested that everyone will save money. What we are saying is that if we say we saved, we did. In over 11 years of traveling to WDW, we have never lost a credit because of illness. Now that is not to say that we have not canceled one meal for another, or that one of our crew stayed behind on occasion. I am saying that we never lost a credit because of that. We simply add breakfast or use one for a meal we were paying OOP for. I am always overbooked.

It doesn't always cost more, that is what you are refusing to acknowledge. And maybe for you it is the "opposite of peace of mind and convenience", but that is not true for everyone.

Also, when true disaster strikes, such as a hurricane, Disney will refund you the cost of any credits you did not use.

You need to acknowledge that the plan makes no sense to you, but it does to others. And for some, it does indeed save money. Maybe not for you, heck not for me every time, which is why I don't use it every time. But people that do are not the idiots you seem to think. People can do things differently and not be stupid. It would be nice if you would stop badgering people to try and see things your way. Your way is not the only way nor is it the "right" way for everybody. It is right for you, which is all that should really matter.
Exactly. The way that we vacation would drive commando folks crazy. There are plenty of people who find our style wasteful in terms of park tix value, we are content. WDW is the destination choose for a family vacation. It is about the vacation for us, not the parks. They are just a small part of the trip.

You sound like me. Lol. I have a binder with all my adrs printed out in it. Lol. My son calls it my book of food obsession. Lol.

I've had enough things to stress over during the last 9 months. Disney is my time for relaxing.
I quit doing this when MDE became more reliable, but I do print out all the confirmation numbers and leave them in my suitcase. I used to make daily index cards with ADR info for the park bag before online reservations were a thing.

I think the DDP is great insurance against added costs that are unforeseen, like kids that want crab legs and lobster. I don't want yo have to say no to stuff like that on vacation.
Now ... that's an interesting take on things. DDP = insurance. I'll have to think about that one.

Now ... that's an interesting take on things. DDP = insurance. I'll have to think about that one.
I look at it that way , as in insurance as piece of mind. I don't get the value out of my homeowners insurance if I never use it. it's tens of thousands of dollars down the drain over the life of my home if I never have a claim, but I couldn't sleep at night knowing I didn't have it. Same with the DDP, in a sense. It isn't exactly the same thing, but it does let me rest easier knowing my expenses are covered for the trip, even if I don't recoup every penny that went in.

Disney tells you you loose money if you don't cancel at least the night before. Your posts seem to suggest paying out of pocket is foolproof and you never lose money. That is not true.

I'm done with you too.

Disney tells you you loose money if you don't cancel at least the night before. Your posts seem to suggest paying out of pocket is foolproof and you never lose money. That is not true.

I'm done with you too.
It just isn't worth the headache to continue banging one's head against the same brick wall.

I say, everyone is entitled to their own viewpoint, but no one is entitled to belittling someone else for theirs. Live and let live.

I have been to Disney with the dining plan and without the Dining Plan. I evaluate every trip and decide if it will be worth it for me at that time. And by 'worth it' I mean the monetary AND the value I put on other intangibles.

This coming trip is for my parent's 50th Anniversary. There are 6 different family groups attending for a total of 15 people. Some are getting the dining plan, some are not, based on some evaluation before hand.

1. My niece and her hubby are getting the dining plan as they have the money to pay right now, but there is no guarantee they will have it when we go on the trip. (they are not good budgeters) We are not in a country where we could buy Disney gift cards either.

2. My single brother is NOT doing the plan as he never drinks pop or has dessert. He also doesn't snack much. AND we got a Canadian ticket discount and a room only discount too, which we couldn't have taken advantage of with a dining package.

3. Brother and his wife are NOT getting the plan as he is likely to go off the property to eat at least a couple of times due to seeing other attractions or going shopping. (he booked his own so not sure if he took advantage of the other discounts)

4. Brother, wife and 4 yr old are NOT getting the dining plan either. They got a ticket discount (Canadian) and a room only discount that added up to a significant savings. We figured that with those discounts, even if eating the average priced items at the places we are dining, they will save about $350. There is not enough 'convenience' or intangibles in the plan to warrant that much extra cost.

5. and 6. Putting them together as we are staying in the same accommodations (DVC 2bedroom) so need to have the same plan or no plan. My parents. Me, hubby and DS15 and DS19. Since we are renting points there is no room only discount we could take advantage of without the dining plan, ALSO we are able to take advantage of the Canadian tickets with this set up. So that means that the dining plan stands on it's own price wise. We DID opt to add the dining plan. When I did the calculations it seems that we would come out about even, give or take $100. So, if we end up paying $100 more that is the amount I am paying for the following intangibles. a)It is prepaid for my parents, their trip is being paid for by the 4 children, so they never have to order the smaller/cheaper menu item feeling they are costing us too much. b) My teens can grab their snack or lunch even when they are not around me. They will often be on their own or with other family members. c) I don't have to have enough cash to hand them each $40 every morning for lunch and snacks, and I would never get my change back and believe me they would spend every penny I handed them, lol. d) I don't have to give them 'the look' when they order the most expensive thing on the menu at EVERY meal. Younger is a huge steak lover and oldest can't get enough seafood, so this would be the case and I can't help myself, it an automatic reaction.

These advantages are easily worth $100 to me, so that is why I chose it this trip.

I blocked him so I don't see his posts anyway. But thanks for having my back!

I just don't like it when anyone makes a blanket statement about anything at WDW. No, you don't always get connecting rooms when requested. No, there is no guarantee that ride X will be up and running when you enter the park. No, no one can guarantee that that dish you like will still be on the menu. No, the dining plan does not always cost more than paying out of pocket.

One of my favs is..people stay at the values because that's all they can afford...because there couldn't possibly be other reasons why someone stays at a value. Do people say that about the campsites (excluding the throw-away room slant)? At least from my experience no they reserve those types of comments for the All-Stars and to an extent POP.

I blocked him so I don't see his posts anyway. But thanks for having my back!

I just don't like it when anyone makes a blanket statement about anything at WDW. No, you don't always get connecting rooms when requested. No, there is no guarantee that ride X will be up and running when you enter the park. No, no one can guarantee that that dish you like will still be on the menu. No, the dining plan does not always cost more than paying out of pocket.
Yeah...There are so many different ways to do things. So many people eat differently. So, yes, some people like the dining plans and other don't. Some people like eating appetizers with every meal and desserts. Some don't. You can't put everyone into a box.

My husband loved appetizers, but didn't really care for desserts. LOL!! My son is the same way. Me, I like appetizers, but love dessert. We have one of his friends joining us and neither of us is sure how he eats. So, we are doing the deluxe dining plan. 2 young men are definitely not going to eat a little. LOL!!

The other bit of "insurance" you can get with the DDP is the once you add the package, that cost is fixed, regardless of whether or not restaurant prices rise after that point (as they do once or twice a year). But again, that's a price-related issue and not entirely germane to the subject of the thread.

One of my favs is..people stay at the values because that's all they can afford...because there couldn't possibly be other reasons why someone stays at a value.

Traveling with 5 (2 adults, kids 10, 8, 8) back in late 2015, we chose connecting rooms at All Star Sports rather than try to cram 5 people into a moderate; plus, those few 5-person moderate rooms are in such high demand that they weren't discounted at all, whereas we got a free dining (QSDP, upgraded to DDP) discount at AS Sports. (Technically, two value rooms cost more, but after discounts, it was closer to break even, and soooooooo much more space!)

Deluxe resorts were out of our price range, especially considering how little we used the resort outside of sleeping and showering.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter