• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

US STOPPING ALL FLIGHTS INTO THE UNITED STATES FROM EUROPE FOR 30 DAYS.

Yeah I mean - it originated in China so our first cases came from there, and then exploded in Europe so our next cases came from there, so I can understand this - let's avoid more cases from there. So what is the next step? Since it is currently here, what is the government doing to stop the spread here within the country?
Sadly, they haven't done near enough. The biggest problem is the unfathomable lack of testing. South Korea has tested 200,000 people. We've tested around 5000. Italy has tested around 40,000. The lack of testing prevents us from effectively being able to track and contain it.

The congressional doctor told the government today that he predicts 75-150 million Americans will be infected. If it's a 1-2% mortality rate -- heaven forbid the 3.4% the WHO currently estimates -- that's a lot of deaths.

Can't I just cross the English Channel from mainland Europe and hop on a flight from the UK?
Couldnt someone go from Europe to the UK, then on to the US?

I don't think so. One of ABC News' main foreign correspondent reporters, James Longman, was in Italy for several days reporting there. When the ban was about to be put in place there, James got on the absolute last plane out of there and headed to the U.K. I didn't know if he was going to come to the U.S. or stay in the U.K. (He's British.) But, arriving at the U.K. airport, he was met by U.K. health officials, handed some forms and asked him to self-quarantine, since he had arrived from one of the highly infected countries.

He said something like, he could have ignored their request. It isn't yet a mandatory quarantine. But, he felt it was the right thing to do to obey the quarantine, for the safety of others. (Plus viewers probably would have been watching & keeping tabs on his whereabouts, and asking WHY was HE going to other places after leaving one of the countries where people are recommended to self-quarantine upon leaving there?) So now, he's sitting in an Airbnb for 2 weeks and not able to work for ABC News. They checked in on him via Skype tonight as he talked about how he is doing - in an empty Airbnb room.

I would think the UK will now put more stringent safeguards in place to make sure there isn't an inflow of people from Europe coming in, infecting everyone, simply to head for the U.S.

Last edited:

I don't think so. One of ABC News' main foreign correspondent reporters, James Longman, was in Italy for several days reporting on it. When the ban was about to be put in place there, James got on the absolute last plane out of there and headed to the UK. I didn't know if he was going to come to the U.S. or stay in the U.K. (He's British.) But, arriving at the airport, the UK officials there told him he needed to be in self-quarantine, since he had arrived from one of the highly infected countries.

He said something like, he could have ignored their request. I guess it wasn't a mandatory quarantine? But, he felt it was the right thing to do to obey the quarantine, for the safety of others. (Plus viewers probably would have been watching & keeping tabs on his whereabouts, and asking WHY was HE going to other places after leaving one of the countries where people are recommended to self-quarantine upon leaving there?) So now, he's sitting in an Airbnb for 2 weeks and not able to work for ABC News. They checked in on him via Skype tonight as he talked about how he is doing - in an empty Airbnb room.

I would think the UK will now put more stringent safeguards in place to make sure there isn't an inflow of people from Europe coming in, infecting everyone, simply to head for the U.S.
Thing is, the number of new cases in the UK jumped by 73 today. That is an increase of 19% from their total yesterday. It is exploding in the UK right now.

WH is already walking about some of his comments, saying he didn't mean it when he said the restrictions apply to trade. what a mess
I rewatched that part - I think he misread the teleprompter. He looked and sounded pretty ill.

Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.

I'm wondering if returning U.S. travelers will have to go through some sort of quarantine. Some friends are over in Dubai, which isn't part of the Schengen Area, but how could they not be affected? They're supposed to cruise the Persian Gulf next week -- right now they don't know if the ship will be allowed to dock in any of the ports.

Just got an update from the friends -- their cruise has been canceled, so their tour operator is working out a Plan B.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if returning U.S. travelers will have to go through some sort of quarantine. Some friends are over in Dubai, which isn't part of the Schengen Area, but how could they not be affected? They're supposed to cruise the Persian Gulf next week -- right now they don't know if the ship will be allowed to dock in any of the ports.
This is all that we know right now:

In the next 48 hours, in the interest of public health, I intend to issue a supplemental Notice of Arrivals Restriction requiring U.S. passengers that have been in the Schengen Area to travel through select airports where the U.S. Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures.”

WH is already walking about some of his comments, saying he didn't mean it when he said the restrictions apply to trade. what a mess

Wait what?
The transcript I read said:
"These prohibitions will not only apply to the tremendous amount of trade and cargo, but various other things as we get approval. Anything coming from Europe to the United States is what we are discussing. These restrictions will also not apply to the United Kingdom," Trump added.

I’d feel better if that part were untrue

Wait what?
The transcript I read said:
"These prohibitions will not only apply to the tremendous amount of trade and cargo, but various other things as we get approval. Anything coming from Europe to the United States is what we are discussing. These restrictions will also not apply to the United Kingdom," Trump added.

I’d feel better if that part were untrue
Pretty sure he read the teleprompter wrong.

A COBRA meeting is scheduled for today and it is anticipated that the U.K. will move to a ‘contain/delay’ strategy. I would not be surprised to hear that all but essential international travel is banned for 30 days. As an island (or group of them) it is relatively easy for us to close our borders.
My daughter works at an English boarding school; the school has already announced that it will remain open for the month long Easter holidays and requested that all overseas students remain at school, rather than return home.

President Trump’s response seems appropriate but you have to feel sorry for EU citizens, with immediate planned WDW trips, who wake up to this news the morning.

Last edited:
A COBRA meeting is scheduled for today and it is anticipated that the U.K. will move to a ‘contain’ strategy. I would not be surprised to hear that all but essential international travel is banned for 30 days.
My daughter works at an English boarding school; the school has already announced that it will remain open for the month long Easter holidays and requested that all overseas students remain at school, rather than return home.

President Trump’s response seems appropriate but you have to feel sorry for EU citizens, with immediate planned WDW trips, who wake up to this news the morning.
I get what you are saying but I don't feel too bad for people missing out on vacations, though I see how that could be upsetting. I feel most for those who have or will get this infection and for those who have or will lose their jobs over this. Times are about to get tough all over the world.

I get what you are saying but I don't feel too bad for people missing out on vacations, though I see how that could be upsetting. I feel most for those who have or will get this infection and for those who have or will lose their jobs over this. Times are about to get tough all over the world.
I agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter