• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Upgrade DVC special ticket from 5-day to 7-day?

dvcdream4fld

Mouseketeer
We are going to be at WDW tomorrow. We are traveling with family members and purchased the 5-day ticket that was on sale for DVC members earlier this year. Since we will be at Disney for 7 nights we want to upgrade our ticket to 7 days. Has anybody tried this? How do you do this? Is it just the cost for adding two more days to a 5-day or do we lose the discount?

I haven't seen any reports of anyone being able to do this yet. The expectation is that you will only receive credit for the price you paid for the tickets, and will be charged the full gate price for the new tickets. Essentially, expect to lose the discount. Disney only "bridges" the price of tickets when they don't know how much you paid for them.

please report back about the upgrade. if it doesn't work for you, why not spend those 2 days as down time. what we like: going over to AKL and doing some of the animal enrichment activities, lunch at the Mara, kids like the community hall a lot--I take a book and relax on the balcony. rent bikes @ OKW for the day and ride to DTd via trail, then boat or ride over to Port Orleans. rent bikes at Ft W and ride around. Lounge by the pool for the day. good luck.

I just got back and can say you can do the upgrade.

First try was at water park and they said there was a glitch and the upgrade was over $100 a ticket for the upgrade and she said try the theme park because they have more tools.

Second try was at animal kingdom. Same $100+ for the upgrade.The CSR said that's too much money and did some magic and I got a Reciept with a $212ish credit for 1 adult and 2 kid tickets.

Third try was at Epcot on last day. Upgraded to Gold Season pass for about $90 each.

Final tally went from 5day to 7day. Went to water parks all week for free and then got the Gold Pass for less then a 1 day ticket!

I had asked this question before and was told that as long as you use your ticket before trying to upgrade, you get the regular price.

A CM from ticketing already confirmed that these tickets should not be "bridged." It sounds like someone had to force through a credit when they weren't supposed to.

A CM from ticketing already confirmed that these tickets should not be "bridged." It sounds like someone had to force through a credit when they weren't supposed to.
Yep, plus they should have been required to 'upgrade' to a Platinum Plus pass because they used some of the WPF&M options.

Yep, plus they should have been required to 'upgrade' to a Platinum Plus pass because they used some of the WPF&M options.
Do we know that's not possible, or are we assuming it?
(There's been a few odd assumptions debunked this year like the available shopping-only theme park entry)

We know that's been the rule for non-blackout passes

But does the system treat the blackout (Gold)passes the same?
It would be interesting to hear the take from
@ravenclawtrekkie

I don't understand what I'm being asked, but I'll try?

A WPF&M ticket in which any "Fun" visits have been used is only supposed to be upgraded to the Platinum Plus pass. This is clearly written in business rules. The computer will allow it but the CM will get a talking to later on. We actually just had a trivia question in our morning meeting about this.

A ticket used during AP blockout dates can be upgraded to a pass that has those blockout dates. This is also clearly written in business rules. You can use a ticket on Saturday and upgrade to a Weekday Select. You can use a ticket in July and upgrade to a Silver. This is a non-issue and something we actively recommend.

Promotional tickets aren't meant to be price bridged. This is also clearly written in business rules, as well as the documentation on those DVC special tickets. The computer won't let you do it without some workarounds which will also get the CM a talking to later if they didn't go through proper channels to get it authorized as an exception.

As far as I can tell in this thread, a bunch of CMs didn't know their business rules?

there is a DVC discounted special 5 day park ticket???
There was a 25th Anniversary Ticket Offer, which included:
Purchase at least a 4 day ticket, get an additional day for free.
Purchase the Park Hopper Option, get the Water Park Fun & More option for free.
The tickets had to be purchased between Jan 4 and Mar 31, 2016.

Did you have to purchase it in person? I missed that 2 years ago. We tried to go during spring break but could not go. Was this an online option to purchase this year?

Did you have to purchase it in person? I missed that 2 years ago. We tried to go during spring break but could not go. Was this an online option to purchase this year?
They were available by calling MS and (I believe) in person at WDW.

They were available by calling MS and (I believe) in person at WDW.
They were also available online. I bought six through the website.

So, we tried to upgrade our ticket at the resort before using at the park. The concierge tried to charge full price difference, but also told us to upgrade at the park so we could keep the discount. We tried at guest services at the park before using our ticket and they also said they would only upgrade at full price. Park Guest services suggested that they could upgrade after we used our ticket. This was the first day on property and we were tired from our flight. So we went into the park for an hour or so to catch the fireworks and went back to our resort. After our fourth day in the park, we stopped back at guest service and were told they would upgrade our ticket if we pay the full price difference. My wife then let the cast member how disappointed she was that she was misinformed about more than once by multiple cast members. The cast member then gave us free park passes to cover the extra days wanted to go to the parks. I want to thank the cast member by name for providing some old-fashioned Disney Magic, but I'm afraid the new Disney management Scrooge's may cast a bad spell in his/her direction. THANK YOU FOR THE MAGIC!

The rules on this ticket when it was listed was if you upgraded it you would only be given the credit you paid for it- it would not be bridged so those that did not bridge it were correct and hopefully the one that gave you the other tickets wont get into trouble for it. It was clearly listed in the offer (the same as it is for the military ticket offers) that you would only get credit for what you paid if you choose to upgrade.

I was getting worried about not being able to upgrade these tickets (was scared I would have to buy an extra 4 day ticket). I called MS this morning and was told yes, you can add days. When I asked how much it would be, she gave me the WDW ticket phone number to call. I called and got a wonderful CM who said the tickets should be bridged (she called them "gate to gate pricing") and even did it over the phone so we could make our FP reservations!

I don't understand what I'm being asked, but I'll try?

A WPF&M ticket in which any "Fun" visits have been used is only supposed to be upgraded to the Platinum Plus pass. This is clearly written in business rules. The computer will allow it but the CM will get a talking to later on. We actually just had a trivia question in our morning meeting about this.

A ticket used during AP blockout dates can be upgraded to a pass that has those blockout dates. This is also clearly written in business rules. You can use a ticket on Saturday and upgrade to a Weekday Select. You can use a ticket in July and upgrade to a Silver. This is a non-issue and something we actively recommend.

Promotional tickets aren't meant to be price bridged. This is also clearly written in business rules, as well as the documentation on those DVC special tickets. The computer won't let you do it without some workarounds which will also get the CM a talking to later if they didn't go through proper channels to get it authorized as an exception.

As far as I can tell in this thread, a bunch of CMs didn't know their business rules?

So, I know this is an old post, but I have a question about the blockout dates you mentioned. We are going to Disney December 16 - 20, the end of which is blocked out on the Gold AP. However, we are considering also going to Disney some or all of the following times: 1st week of April, mid-June, early October of 2017, non of which are blockout dates on the gold AP as of right now. So, ideally, I'd like to buy Disney tickets an use them on my December trip, then upgrade them to a gold AP on our last day, but that last Day will be December 20, which is a blockout date. Can I upgrade to a gold AP on a blockout date if I do not plan on re-entering the park again that day, and then use it on non-block out dates for the next year?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter