Universal, Magic Kingdom, Sea World and more Sept 23- Oct 11

Elliotterae

Earning My Ears
Hello all,
This is my first trip report after years of Disney travel. I actually think I started a pre-trip report on a different forum once but got distracted and didn't return to it when we got back. Oops, I promise not to let that happen this time.

Let's start with introductions and a bit of back story on this trip.

Here is the 4 of us. This is a couple years old, our last Family Disney trip in 2014. (2015 was the first year we skipped since the kids were born)upload_2016-9-18_13-11-16.png

DH- Eric 42, I made him take me to Disney and Universal for our Honeymoon 15 years ago. It was his first trip and he joined me in loving Disney completely. We were there Sept 11th and if all the magic and fun hadnt been enough to sell him on it, their organization, customer service and level of skill in handling that crisis for so many people trapped away from home was so amazing that he still tells people he knew he would be a lifelong customer then. He works building huge grain bins for grain elevators so we always take vacation during harvest time when the elevators are too busy to have construction going on.

Myself - Tara 36. My very first memory in life was riding Dumbo not long before I turned 3.And I have loved Disney ever since. Im 20 weeks pregnant, and just finally stopped throwing up every single thing I eat. Im a (mostly) stay at home mom and homeschool our children.

Ellie- 13, A self proclaimed Geek, she is into Dr. Who, Old time fiddle competitions, lego building and sewing. She's not your typical 13 year old girl. She isnt sassy, doesnt talk back, is always happy and rarely ever complains, easy to please and has no interest in boys (yet). She just died her hair brown and chopped off 9 inches, she begged and begged me to let her do this because " no one takes a girl with long blonde hair seriously". How could I tell her no?

Rowan 10, This one on the other hand, she is going to be difficult. Always wants to be the center of attention, always wants to do something else, never content. Shes either going 110% or begging for a nap. Still very sweet and easy to calm down. A simple "I spent a lot of money for you to have fun and all you are doing is complaining" will usually change her attitude for a couple hours. Until something glittery looking or sounding distracts her again. This one already has plans for dying her hair blue and purple. To which I very easily can say "over my dead body or when you move out on your own".

Next up, my adult cousin Lindsey. Here is her and I on our girls trip to Disney together (2011)upload_2016-9-18_13-14-37.png

She loves Disney as much as I do. Did an internship there during college. We are both only children and consider each other more as sisters than cousins. We love each other that much, have that much in common, and fight that much. Our last vacation together, we didn't talk to each other the whole last day. Fun times ahead, I promise!

Attachments

• MK_MSATHCLB_7085587920.jpeg
    MK_MSATHCLB_7085587920.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Whew, it took a few tries, but I think I figured out how to post the pictures.

Some background on this trip.

Over the winter we booked a cruise. 7 nights Roatan, Belize, Cozumel and Costa Maya, with all alcohol included. We got passports for the kids, booked excursions and decided to add on 3 days to Universal before we sailed. This was to be the kids first cruise, first time out of the country and first time to Universal.
My cousin decided she wanted to go, but she wanted to add a day and do Magic Kingdom, she hasn't been since New Fantasyland. So plans were made to add a night to the trip and buy 1 day passes for MK. She would drive down with us, and when we left Orlando for the port in Miami we would drop her at the airport to drive home.
(we added days a couple more times to where we are now down there a full week before our original cruise date instead of 3 days)

Jump to June and our family found it would be growing again. Not planned obviously. In fact, we tried for another child for 5 years after our youngest was born and decided it wasn't meant to be. So this was quite a shock. Considering the Zika virus and the fact that one of my biggest draws to the cruise was drinking on the beach and drinking by the pool, we decided to cancel the cruise while we could still get a full refund.

Plans spun around several times, do we still go to Universal? I wont be able to ride much. How about Key West instead? Well, Zika will surely be there by then. Maybe take the kids to D.C., we've been wanting to do that, or the Grand Canyon? Lindsey had already bought a return ticket though and the kids had started rewatching everything from E.T to H.P movies to Jurassic Park in preparation. It was decided I would have to just take one for the team and suck it up. So we bought annual passes for Universal and I made DH promise me we would go back next Sept so I could ride everything. We bought our MK tickets. I still felt bad for the kids though, they were so excited about that cruise. So, I took that cruise refund, bought nursery furniture and used the rest to purchase a Discovery Cove package. Then added a beach trip to the end. Lord help us.

Here is the plan

This Friday we start driving, Ive been directed to get out and move every 2 hours so we are only going as far as Valdosta GA. We got a Comfort Suites with points and will drive the last 3.5 hours to Orlando Saturday morning.
That first night we are staying at Quality Inn and suites by the Parks. We plan to pick up and activate our Annual passes, and then head to Downtown Disney.
We will also hit the Boardwalk to try the new ice cream place and get a cupcake fix. We may visit the Poly to see the renovations, I think I read you can no longer go to the beach to watch the fireworks, we may try that if we can. Not sure.

Sunday we move to Royal Pacific and stay there 6 nights. We will do the parks 5 days, with lots of breaks. Tuesday the 27th we are going to Magic Kingdom and doing our Gender Reveal Photos.

Then Lindsey goes to the airport and we transfer to Springhill Suites Seaworld. We have a package with Line passes, Discover Cove, SeaWorld, Aquatica, 5th night free and some other little perks. We are there 5 nights Oct 1-6th.

Lastly, we head to Sarasota to stay Thurs- Sun with a friend and visit a beach or two.

The best part? I'm still super morning sick and exhausted. No longer vomiting everything I eat, but I always feel like Im just about to. In fact, I'll update some more tomorrow, I'm going to go take a nap. (I should be packing).

Great start to your trip report. What a change a year makes! Congratulations on a new little one on the way. I'm a ride weenie, so not being able to do all the rides isn't a big deal. There's lots you can probably do, and people watching and taking a break are always a great way to spend some time in the parks.

And a Wahoo, you'll be traveling soon! Safe travels and have fun!

Let me tell you, I am actually glad we aren't going on that cruise at the moment. Packing is overwhelming me this time. The sheer volume of shoes, hair products, clothing, camera gear, first aid essentials etc. I just cant imagine if I was also planning for the boat, our hiking excursion, and more nice evening wear.

Today has me running about a million errands. Took time to schedule online bill pay for the month, took the girls to the bank to withdraw the money they have been saving and got $5 bills for housekeeping, made a banner and a t-shirt for our gender reveal photos, took the youngest to cello lessons, ordered baby shower invitations. Then I organized everyone's outfits. I pack using ziplock gallon baggies and put the whole outfit together for the kids, under garments, shorts, top and label it for which park. When they were younger I even coordinated jewelry and hair bows in the same bag. Its a lot of work but it assures we dont end up with only a red polka dot top and blue floral shorts clean on the last day. Or white shorts and pink star undies, that has happened in the past.

Clothes are mostly done know, onto all the toiletries, park bag supplies, shoes and odds and ends.

Great start to your trip report. What a change a year makes! Congratulations on a new little one on the way. I'm a ride weenie, so not being able to do all the rides isn't a big deal. There's lots you can probably do, and people watching and taking a break are always a great way to spend some time in the parks.

And a Wahoo, you'll be traveling soon! Safe travels and have fun!

Thanks for reading. I know I'm long winded:rolleyes1

I'm not going to lie, I'm bummed about the rides. But, I'm trying to be optimistic. One time, at Disney, we took just one day and browsed around. We rode a couple things, but mostly took the time to just explore. Took pictures, sat on benches to enjoy a dole whip, rather than speed eat it while racing to the next attraction. Chased some ducks, pulled on Arthur's sword.... It was one of our more memorable and most fun days at the park, even if we didn't ride everything twice in a day.
I'm hoping to keep that mindset and just enjoy myself. I'm really, really hoping to enjoy lots of snacks and not feel sick the whole time. I have Dr orders not to lose any more weight and hoping use donuts and butterbeer to make her proud.

Yesterday we had a Doc appt and sonoram. Reconfirmed our earlier blood work regarding the gender reveal.
That was a relief, I was afraid the items I prepared would be for the wrong sex.
Doc is more worried about Zika and being in Florida than she is about most rides. I still won't do many but may try some simulator ones in Universal.
We got up at 3:00 am today and was on the road picking up my cousin by 4:00. We are now about an hour to Nashville and making good time.
We stop at Comfort Suites in Valdosta GA tonight.

Safe travels. Glad you made good time. Well, I think Zika is a concern, but there's bug spray, and I think the parks will be spraying constantly too. Take it easy, and drink water, as they have said it's been hot and humid lately.

I'll be traveling to the mouse on Sunday, so I am hoping the rain we're going to get for the next 4 days doesn't follow me.

Thanks for the first leg of your trip report.

So, did the gender reveal happen yet??? Please fill us in!!

Update:
Oops! Just reread her post and saw that today is the day she is going to reveal if it's a boy or girl at MK. Can't wait to hear how she did it:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter