UGH! Anyone else so frustrated with the dining plan...

You would cancel a trip because some strangers on the internet have speculated that they might not be able to share a meal???!?!

If you're serious, you need to take an internet break. NO ONE has been told they can't share once they are Disney. NO ONE. You don't know ANYONE on these boards. Why would you take their word as law and cancel a trip over it? We're STRANGERS!!!

I would totally relax if I were you. In fact, I have already relaxed. ;) We plan to just use the plan as it seems in the brochure 1 cs meal (lunch), 1 snack and 1 ts meal (dinner) per day, per person. Simple, right? We are not sharing credits, "saving" credits, nothing that makes me have to think too hard! We plan 1 dinner that is 2 credits (flying Fish). To make things simple, we are just paying cash for our first nights dinner, to have the extra credits. Anything else we eat-character breakfasts, a couple TS lunches we are just paying cash for! I can't understand why people stress about this so much. If you want to do extra TS meals, just pay for them! :goodvibes

This is just my opinion, but I really think Disney is not trying to stop sharing a meal with your own family member ALSO on the plan. I think they are trying to stop people from sharing their credits With Uncle Harold and Aunt Edna who are visiting from Tampa and staying off-site. I really can't blame Disney for trying to stop that kind of craziness. I mean, do people share/give their park tickets with family members and friends they way they buy meals for them with the DDP? Yes, they are "your credits to use", but so are your park tickets. What are they going to do, have CM's carry portable bio scanners in the restaurants??

OP here-- Thanks for the comments, everyone! I really appreciate it!

You are right. I'm overthinking this way too much. As I've thought about it, if it is bothering me this much there is probably something else wrong. I think perhaps I am not sure that I really want to make this trip and all of the dining talk is just amplifying my feelings. :duck: (This will be our third trip in just under a year.)

Anyway, we have a couple of weeks to decide, but I think we'll discuss whether we should keep this reservation or go in January/February instead (we love the cooler weather) and have NO dining plan. ;)

If we do decide to keep our ressies, I will ask to share when we feel like it, but try not to be too upset if we can't and a ton of food is wasted. :thumbsup2

Sharing is caring... so don't worry, you are not the only one planning around sharing TS credits.

It's as natural as water. ;)

momto2girls said:
... that you are considering cancelling your trip?

I am. I am so frustrated by reading all of these threads about the changes in the dining plan and the threats of limiting sharing. It truly is putting a damper on my trip and I'm thinking about cancelling it before I have to pay for the rest of my package (in mid-August). Anyone else?

FWIW, we had the free dining package last year. It was sooooo much food and a ton was wasted. :guilty: Plus, we ended up eating more than we would have because it was there. :rolleyes:

So, when we signed up for free dining this year, we planned to share some of our TS meals. Our children are 3 and 6 and literally survive on air. They eat next to nothing. Splitting a children's meal between the two of them still results in over half of it being left on the plate. Plus, DH and I expected that we would share some meals too. We just can't each eat a full meal, appetizer and dessert.

However, now that it seems like we might be treated like criminals if we ask to share, I'm re-thinking this whole trip. The "free" dining (which isn't free because we are paying rack rate) seems like a whole lot of trouble now. So, since this will be our third trip in a year :rolleyes:, I'm thinking of cancelling and going in the future when I can get a good room rate and just give up the dining plan altogether.

Just wondering if anyone else is this frustrated.

And if I do decide to cancel, I'll be sure to give everyone here a heads up when I cancel my Le Cellier reservations. :thumbsup2 ;)

I just really don't understand the problem.

1. It's free dining, and granted it isn't totally free as you do pay rack rate. If you are staying at a value it's still a no brainer, but if you are staying at a mod or deluxe, then cancelling the "free" dining and getting a room discount might be your better bet.

2. Why do you HAVE to order 3 courses? Just because you can doesn't mean anyone is twisting your arm. If you go to a buffet you don't eat everything just because it's there! Also, if you are a small eater you certainly don't "get your money's worth" at a buffet, so not "getting your money's worth" (not eating 3 courses) at a TS is really no different.

3. Do you TRULY enjoy sharing? Do you and DH automatically want the same thing to eat every night? Wouldn't it really be less stressful to be able to choose your own meal? Do your children always want the same thing?

4. If you plan on sharing your meals what will you do with the extra credits? If you barely eat why do you want MORE meals? :confused3

momto2girls said:
... that you are considering cancelling your trip?

I am. I am so frustrated by reading all of these threads about the changes in the dining plan and the threats of limiting sharing. It truly is putting a damper on my trip and I'm thinking about cancelling it before I have to pay for the rest of my package (in mid-August). Anyone else?

FWIW, we had the free dining package last year. It was sooooo much food and a ton was wasted. :guilty: Plus, we ended up eating more than we would have because it was there. :rolleyes:

So, when we signed up for free dining this year, we planned to share some of our TS meals. Our children are 3 and 6 and literally survive on air. They eat next to nothing. Splitting a children's meal between the two of them still results in over half of it being left on the plate. Plus, DH and I expected that we would share some meals too. We just can't each eat a full meal, appetizer and dessert.

However, now that it seems like we might be treated like criminals if we ask to share, I'm re-thinking this whole trip. The "free" dining (which isn't free because we are paying rack rate) seems like a whole lot of trouble now. So, since this will be our third trip in a year :rolleyes:, I'm thinking of cancelling and going in the future when I can get a good room rate and just give up the dining plan altogether.

Just wondering if anyone else is this frustrated.

And if I do decide to cancel, I'll be sure to give everyone here a heads up when I cancel my Le Cellier reservations. :thumbsup2 ;)

If you have free dining, then whether you eat a crumb of food or the whole thing doesn't matter. Tell them you want half portions if it seems too much, I'm sure they can do that in order to not waste food.

If you don't have free dining, then assess how much you think you would spend. Look at the menus and try to get a general idea. If you think you can't eat more than the amount you spend per day, then just cancel the dining and pay OOP.

momto2girls said:
OP here-- Thanks for the comments, everyone! I really appreciate it!

You are right. I'm overthinking this way too much. As I've thought about it, if it is bothering me this much there is probably something else wrong.

This I understand. In my family, we're masters at focusing on some relatively minor detail instead of recognizing that the problem lies within the bigger plan. Whether you decide to go in September or next year, I'm sure you'll have a great time. And I do envy you going during the cooler months--our last several trips have been in the December/January time frames and, while I'm prepared for it, I can't say I'm excited about the August heat.

Have fun whatever you do!

P.S. And I'd still gladly take over your Le Cellier reservation :love:

This has put a huge damper on our plans. I was one of those who didn't figure out who ate what credits because disney didn't specify them to be any one persons on the plan. Now that it is a clearly written rule, I won't break it, intentionally anyway. But we had made plans to share 2 of our table service meals with my family. My Mom, Dad and brother were going to come up for 3 nights while we're there. They've never been. They aren't exactely rolling in the dough and so the plan was that we would share our CS meals with them and treat them to 2 table service meals. In order to make sure we had the extra credits we needed DH and I and the boys would share some of our other meals, to store up the credits we needed to treat them. I honestly don't see anything wrong with that. We aren't getting more for our money, we can't use anymore credits than Disney gives us. If DH and I eat seperate meals, or share so my parents can share a meal, what's the difference? It's really frustrating, because I KNOW my parents aren't going to pay OOP for CM and LeCellier, and I made those LeCellier Ressies so long ago, I'm sure I can't change them and get them for a different day when my parents are gone. We had free dining last year and wasted SO much food. So we planned on sharing, #1 to treat my parents and #2 so we could try more resturants. It's a bummer. But no matter how I work the numbers, we are still saving, or at least spending the same but getting more food with the free dining and paying rack rate. I just don't know what I am going to do about my parents. :guilty:

We haven't seen any real evidence that Disney is changing the sharing rules. BUT you're staying in a moderate resort. The value of one adult credit per day exceeds any discount you'd otherwise have gotten. One adult meal credit gives you a snack worth $2-$4, a CS meal worth $8-$10 and a TS meal worth at least $25. Most people find the value of a TS meal (with tax and tip) can be at least $50.

Just order the food you want to eat. Don't worry about any rules. Free dining is great deal for value and moderate resort guests no matter how the plan is used, short of not using any TS credits.

Mommypoppins--It looks like you have 2A3C on your dining plan. Banking kids credits so you can purchase 5A meals, twice, is really the behavior that Disney is objecting to. Disney is providing meals for your family not for your guests. You may have enough food if you just pay for an extra entrée or two at Le Cellier.

You really won't know until you get to the restaurant if you'll be allowed to purchase more than what your plan provides for (2A3C). The restaurants are more likely to be flexible if the credits are separated by adult and child but that won't help you because that's what you're trying to do.

I'd keep Le Cellier. Even if you're restricted to 2A3C meals under the plan you'll probably have enough food for the table if you order one or two extra entrées and 3 drinks. You can't share at buffets like CM. Decide if you can afford to pay for 3A meals out of pocket otherwise you might want to cancel.

MommyPoppins -- Where are your family members staying when they come for the three nights? Did they decide to join you too late to get the DDP for themselves? Have you talked to Disney to see if there's anyway to add them to the plan?

MommyPoppins said:
This has put a huge damper on our plans. I was one of those who didn't figure out who ate what credits because disney didn't specify them to be any one persons on the plan. Now that it is a clearly written rule, I won't break it, intentionally anyway. But we had made plans to share 2 of our table service meals with my family. My Mom, Dad and brother were going to come up for 3 nights while we're there. They've never been. They aren't exactely rolling in the dough and so the plan was that we would share our CS meals with them and treat them to 2 table service meals. In order to make sure we had the extra credits we needed DH and I and the boys would share some of our other meals, to store up the credits we needed to treat them. I honestly don't see anything wrong with that. We aren't getting more for our money, we can't use anymore credits than Disney gives us. If DH and I eat seperate meals, or share so my parents can share a meal, what's the difference? It's really frustrating, because I KNOW my parents aren't going to pay OOP for CM and LeCellier, and I made those LeCellier Ressies so long ago, I'm sure I can't change them and get them for a different day when my parents are gone. We had free dining last year and wasted SO much food. So we planned on sharing, #1 to treat my parents and #2 so we could try more resturants. It's a bummer. But no matter how I work the numbers, we are still saving, or at least spending the same but getting more food with the free dining and paying rack rate. I just don't know what I am going to do about my parents. :guilty:

I'm sorry about your plans. I think you may have trouble if you try to treat your parents. There have been many posts from people just returning from Disney saying that this was not allowed. If your card will state 2A/3C, then a CM will not let you order 4 adult TS meals. Someone wrote in a post that even the manager of Yachtsman Steakhouse came over and refused to let them pay for more adult meals than were on their card and practically accused them of using their child credits to pay for/treat another adult's meal. It seems they don't want someone to pay $10.99 for a kids meal and then treat an adult not on the plan to a much more expensive adult meal at Le Celliar. Someone posted that after the CM waiter told them they could treat 2 adults, when they tried to pay with their plan, they couldn't. Even the manager refused to let them. The people were then billed the 2 MORE expensive meals in cash. I think they got that part adjusted, byt they still had to pay cash for 2 meals (the less expensive ones).

It's a big risk to take and if you are not allowed, you or your parents would have to pay for 2 of the adult meals. I would really put a damper on my trip to have to deal with a CM and/or manager basicly accusing me of breaking the rules by using child credits for adult meals.

Others have stated that when ordering CS meals CM's are only letting them order the number of adult meals on their card, not go over it. For example, if your card says 2A/2C and you are ordering 4 meals, 2 of them HAVE to be kids meals. However, at the moment the computer does not seperate adult/child credits, so I don't see what would stop a family from splitting up. Mom orders 2 adult CS meals and dad in another line, does the same thing. It would work now. However, the scuttlebut seems to be that Disney will be changing the system to seperate credits. When/if that happens, who knows. For now, they have just changed their policy and I guess expect people to follow the rules. So, for the moment you could buy them CS meals with the plan as long as you are not all together. As for dinner...maybe they will surprise you and say they'll pay...maybe you can change the ADR...best of luck either way! :goodvibes

DisneyKidds said:
Sorry if I was blunt, but the idea that someone would consider cancelling a trip on which they received a great deal (rack rate or not) with the DDP just because a bunch of people here seem to be overcomplicating the situation is INSANE.

Right on! Couldn't have said it better! :thumbsup2

thunderbird1 said:
This I understand. In my family, we're masters at focusing on some relatively minor detail instead of recognizing that the problem lies within the bigger plan. Whether you decide to go in September or next year, I'm sure you'll have a great time. And I do envy you going during the cooler months--our last several trips have been in the December/January time frames and, while I'm prepared for it, I can't say I'm excited about the August heat.

Have fun whatever you do!

P.S. And I'd still gladly take over your Le Cellier reservation :love:

I'm glad that my craziness makes sense to someone! :lmao: Yes, I definitely think that I'm just overthinking this because I'm just really feeling like I don't want to go back to WDW so soon. :duck:

So, we're considering switching to January/February (which we LOVED last year because it was so much cooler and less crowded :thumbsup2) and staying at the WL (which we prefer). And we'd just skip the dining plan altogether.

I do think that free dining is a good deal, but I have to say that I am probably one of the few people who would prefer to pay a bit more, but be able to control our dining more. ;)

MommyPoppins said:

There is a very simple soulution to your issue. If your intent is to "treat" your parents to CM and LeCellier - just pay for their meals yourself OOP.

Lewisc said:
Mommypoppins--It looks like you have 2A3C on your dining plan. Banking kids credits so you can purchase 5A meals, twice, is really the behavior that Disney is objecting to. Disney is providing meals for your family not for your guests. You may have enough food if you just pay for an extra entrée or two at Le Cellier.

You really won't know until you get to the restaurant if you'll be allowed to purchase more than what your plan provides for (2A3C). The restaurants are more likely to be flexible if the credits are separated by adult and child but that won't help you because that's what you're trying to do.

I'd keep Le Cellier. Even if you're restricted to 2A3C meals under the plan you'll probably have enough food for the table if you order one or two extra entrées and 3 drinks. You can't share at buffets like CM. Decide if you can afford to pay for 3A meals out of pocket otherwise you might want to cancel.

I am NOT trying to use my childs credits. There is a day we aren't even going to eat our TS so we could use our ADULT credits for my family. Our children would share their meals and DH and I would share, it makes for extra adult credits and child credits for later meals.

calypso*a*go-go said:
MommyPoppins -- Where are your family members staying when they come for the three nights? Did they decide to join you too late to get the DDP for themselves? Have you talked to Disney to see if there's anyway to add them to the plan?

They are staying at POR, same as us. We're FL res though. It just was too much money for them to pay rack rate and have to buy 3 day hoppers to get the dining plan. They are only paying AP rate for their room and the Fl Res by 2 tickets get one free deal. I looked into all the options a while ago, but the free dining just wasn't worth it for them. Not when we would have more food than you can imagine eating. But, like someone else said, with myself, DH and our boys, if we just buy one more dinner and maybe another appitizer and drinks that should be enough. It's just convincing old school cheap people that spending nearly 100 on Chef Mickeys is worth it. :rolleyes:

kaseyC said:
There is a very simple soulution to your issue. If your intent is to "treat" your parents to CM and LeCellier - just pay for their meals yourself OOP.

:rotfl: Only because we had the food anyway. I can't afford my own disney trip AND theirs. I was just trying to make it as affordable for them as possible and enjoyable. It's a huge stretch that they're even going at all. You know how some people just don't "get it" Why should you pay 30 dollars for a buffet when you can go to a local buffet for like 6 bucks? We certainly can't afford to treat them. If they won't pay for CM then we'll treat to LeCellier(cuz I'm not giving up those ressies!) and cancel Chef Mickeys.

MommyPoppins said:
:rotfl: Only because we had the food anyway. I can't afford my own disney trip AND theirs. I was just trying to make it as affordable for them as possible and enjoyable. It's a huge stretch that they're even going at all. You know how some people just don't "get it" Why should you pay 30 dollars for a buffet when you can go to a local buffet for like 6 bucks? We certainly can't afford to treat them. If they won't pay for CM then we'll treat to LeCellier(cuz I'm not giving up those ressies!) and cancel Chef Mickeys.

Well, I can understand that. Sounds like my DH's parents and their fondness for the Old Country Buffet. We will be facing the challenge of a trip to WDW with them next June. :rolleyes:

MommyPoppins said:

I don't know your finances but you can probably treat them at Le Cellier. Drinks, an extra entrée and maybe an extra appetizer should cost less than $50.

The food at CM isn't much better than Golden Corral. I don't think you'll be able to convince them to pay. Actually I hope you don't, you'll never hear the end of what a bad deal the restaurant was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter