TV in kids room?

I have two boys...when my older son was 11 i got him a tv for Hanukkah - i was afraid that he would not come out and watch tv with us. Totally wrong - for a few months he was obsessed but only in the morning he would get up and stay in his room but now 2 years later - not too much - maybe after school for a while BUT still likes to watch with teh family or me in my bed. My younger son is 11 he does not seem too interested in a tv in his room maybe next year! no computer games are hooked up to it - the game system is for everyone in the basement tv.

My boys have been asking to have a TV in their room, they are 11 and almost 8. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this.:confused3 I did not have a TV in my bedroom until I was married.

My DS8 has a tv in his room, my DD13 got a TV for Christmas last year along with her Xbox she keeps it in the fireplace room her choice she said her room is just to small for it and her kinect , we are hoping to remodel next year and she may get a bigger room and she will most likely move it in there.

My boys have been asking to have a TV in their room, they are 11 and almost 8. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this.:confused3 I did not have a TV in my bedroom until I was married.

I haven't read the replies, so I'll just add my answer to the original question.

We moved in December 2011. When we moved (to a more expensive house), we decided to ditch cable. We kept our cable internet and bought an antenna and a Roku (we subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime and we can usually get major network tv on the antenna). We have a big tv in the main living area, and we watch all our tv there.

We don't even have a tv in our bedroom as we just didn't want to spend the money.

We just don't watch a ton of tv or we do it together. My son is 7.5.

Grandpa bought a tv for my son. We put it in the playroom (not his bedroom), and he can either watch DVDs or some network television (but the only thing he watches is Smile of a Child which is a Christian children's network). I will add that DS has said that if he feels frustrated, he will go to his playroom and watch Smile of a Child for a few minutes and feel better, so there is a benefit.

I have fought this battle not only with my boys (now 16, 18, and 21), but with my husband and his mother since the oldest was 2. I did not want TV in the boys' rooms because I didn't want to let the TV babysit them, and when they did watch something, I wanted it to be in the family room with ALL of us. I have had a long, hard walk with this, but they didn't have TV.

They NOW have TVs in their rooms for game systems. I realize that this goes against my initial principle but I admit, they finally wore me down! As it is, they actually play some of their games together, but from their own rooms, and with their friends on-line. The oldest boy put his TV in the loft area (common area where the boys' rooms are) so they could watch different TV shows up there, movies, etc. He said he was too busy with college and didn't need he distraction.

Thank God ... that boy really DID seem to learn something by me continuing the fight, and I think the other two actually have as well. They follow his good example.

Deb

Old thread but I'll chime in anyway.
Our kids had/have tvs in their rooms but we only had 1 that had cable. The other 2 watched movies, played music cds or in ds's case, played games.

I have one in my son's room. It isn't hooked up to cable, just the dvd player for watching cartoons. Honestly, he barely has it on and I don't see it as a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter