• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Can't help you with the Air ride Pin box.... but I was looking at a truck upgrade. Thinking it's time to go diesel. Looks like Blue Book on my current truck is $10K - $15K above what I owe. Boy... I will have ponder this one.

Well 10K will cover the cost of the diesel engine.:D

Alright all my 5th wheel towing friends. Towing a 5er, upgrade to air ride pin box (trailer air) or not ??
We had an air ride hitch on the race team toy hauler. I didn't notice that it did much. My new trailer is the same size as the toy hauler, although it weighs about 2500 lbs less without a Miata in it. The new trailer has a regular solid pin box and I really can't tell any difference. I did try playing with the air pressure in the air ride "donut", but 5 lbs of air seemed to feel the same as 100. Personally, I wouldn't spend any money on anything extra until you bought a trailer and saw how it tows.
Spend the money on a good hitch. Make sure you get one that allows a little rocking and has some cushioning in the mounts. Most of the better hitches do this.

j

I've been looking at new diesel trucks. I can tell you Dodge seems to have the best prices. But they are still sky HIGH!

This is why we went the newer used route. We found one with low miles, and was only 2 years old. It was a challenge, but it saved us some money for sure.

Agree with the newer used route for the truck. Mine at the time was 2 years old as well and I got a fairly decent deal on it.

@SouthAlabama5er sent me a picture the other day where he just for fun used the Ford online site to build him a new F-450. I think the total was around $80,000 and figured up around $1,100 a month in payment. :scared:
Of course, his other vehicle is a Corvette and the Mrs. 5er rides in a Camaro, so there ya go...

This is why we went the newer used route. We found one with low miles, and was only 2 years old. It was a challenge, but it saved us some money for sure.
So far the only used ones I can find are the same age/miles as ours.

@SouthAlabama5er sent me a picture the other day where he just for fun used the Ford online site to build him a new F-450. I think the total was around $80,000 and figured up around $1,100 a month in payment. :scared:
Of course, his other vehicle is a Corvette and the Mrs. 5er rides in a Camaro, so there ya go...

Well, SA5er has tons for Free Cash Flow to throw around on his vehicles since his fuel cost is essentially zero since he gets it right off the rig in deep water. But come to think of it, he has been taking a rather LOW profile lately. Where is that boy?

But blowing bucks on one's DW is always a smart move. So he's smart in that respect.

Bama Ed

PS - His DW doesn't drive a convertible Camaro, does she? Bright canary yellow? That's my dream car (with the Vette engine)... :car:

@SouthAlabama5er used the Ford online site to build him a new F-450. I think the total was around $80,000
That's not too bad. I'm getting ready to order a $42,000 Ford Focus. And it would probably fit in the back of SA5er's F450. :-)

blowing bucks on one's DW is always a smart move.
Yep! That's why I don't have my Mini anymore.

I'm with everyone else though. Since I don't need to tow all over the country for the race team anymore, a nicely used dually should be just fine next time.

j

Well, SA5er has tons for Free Cash Flow to throw around on his vehicles since his fuel cost is essentially zero since he gets it right off the rig in deep water. But come to think of it, he has been taking a rather LOW profile lately. Where is that boy?

But blowing bucks on one's DW is always a smart move. So he's smart in that respect.

Bama Ed

PS - His DW doesn't drive a convertible Camaro, does she? Bright canary yellow? That's my dream car (with the Vette engine)... :car:

He's been at work and he had a car show today showing off that Corvette and Camaro. That's why he wasn't at the Alabama vs. Kent State game with me this morning.

P.S. If any of you attend a Bama game and go by to visit Ed he cooks up a mean breakfast. Chocolate chip pancakes and sausage. @snowmedic , your syrup was a hit as well!

So one more question for all the diesel folks. Tuners or Programming modules, worth it ?? We all like better fuel mileage.

Haven't invested in one yet. I still have 20,000 miles of warranty left which most manufacturers will void in the presence of a tuner.

If any of you drive Ford check out Powerstrokehelp.com for some good videos and input. They have a lot of videos on You Tube. He is located in Atlanta.

So one more question for all the diesel folks. Tuners or Programming modules, worth it ?? We all like better fuel mileage.

My last Duramax had a tuner and exhaust upgrade. Definitely worth it in that case. Current truck is still under warranty, so not messing with it.

Screenshot_2016-09-21-20-18-25_zpsstpjwbyr.png

Ouch!! That too rich for my blood! I'm not paying more for a truck note than my house note.

My truck has to go into the shop soon, the up pipes (pipes from the exhaust manifold to the turbo) are leaking and makes a very strange whistles when it builds boost. I called Power Stroke Specialty and got a quote.... $2,500:eek:
Turns out the cab has to be removed to replace the leaking pipes. Still cheaper than the $3k quote I got from my local ford dealer, I'll pass. I have dealt with Bill and Dana at Power Stroke Specialty before and the guys know there stuff and do great work.

And still cheaper than a new truck. My gosh - $80k for a truck. I think I'd buy a used Freightliner M2 Sportchassis if I had that budget.

Turns out the cab has to be removed to replace the leaking pipes.
Ya. That whole "cab off" thing started with this new motor. Seems a bit crazy, but my BMW was the same way. To replace a head, you had to remove the motor. It was less book hours to replace a motor than to do the head. (17 vs 27). Who designs this stuff. Chevy had a little turbo micro car 15 years back that required the engine to be pulled to replace the spark plugs. Needless to say, it had "lifetime" plugs.

j

And still cheaper than a new truck. My gosh - $80k for a truck. I think I'd buy a used Freightliner M2 Sportchassis if I had that budget.

Funny you should mention that, Randy and I have discussed that option on several occasions.

Screenshot_2016-10-08-05-27-20_zpsk15ru8zt.png

It may be older with a half a million miles or so, but it half the price of a new pick up and with Caterpillar engine towing power would never be a worry again. Whatcha think Bama_Ed, gotta like that Alabama red!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter