Tropical Storm Debbie! Lots of firsts! June 23-30 UPDATED X2, day 3 first half

Sorry to hear about the server. Honestly those kinds of people drive me nuts! Love the pictures. Can't wait to read more!

Can't believe your server was so rude, glad it didn't completely ruin your meal though.

Joining in! Love the Wilderness Lodge, and can't wait to hear all the firsts! Sorry your first night of dining wasn't great, but give it a shot again! I think it was your waiter! And if you like apple pie, you need to try their version! I think I will need to order just that from room service when we stay here in Aug!

Subscribing, would love to see what an 8 year old thinks of Disney. I will be taking my 8 year to Disney World in September.popcorn::

I'm late, but I'm here. We were there splashing through Debbie too, 6/21-30. My original plans were to stay at WL, but life had other plans and we ended up back at our first resort, All-Star Movies. I sitll hope to stay there one day, maybe on a holiday trip.

My daughter is 9 and I have a two year-old. I love reading mommy and me trip reports too. Looking forward to hearing how you made Debbie's presence work for you. Even though it got tough at times, I know we definitely saw it work for us. It didn't prepare us for the heat wave that set in at home while we were gone though. Came home to 100 plus degrees. Wanted to turn around and get right back on the plane. :lmao:

Sorry to hear about the server. Honestly those kinds of people drive me nuts! Love the pictures. Can't wait to read more!

Yeah, I was a little disappointed by our server. I was so looking forward to our first dinner at WCC to show Jordan (and myself) some of the Disney magic here...we saw it all around us but not by our server. Jordan still had fun though!

Can't believe your server was so rude, glad it didn't completely ruin your meal though.

It definitely didn't ruin our meal. Just not my personal favorite of the trip. I'm not sure if it being only 2 of us rather than a large rowdy bunch was something that impacted us in meals like this. Thanks for reading!

Joining in! Love the Wilderness Lodge, and can't wait to hear all the firsts! Sorry your first night of dining wasn't great, but give it a shot again! I think it was your waiter! And if you like apple pie, you need to try their version! I think I will need to order just that from room service when we stay here in Aug!

Yes, it was definitely our waiter! The restaurant is a fun place and I would try it again. I LOVED WL, and really am contemplating staying there again next year. It felt like home by the end of our trip, so easy to find your way around and soooo beautiful! Jordan really wants to try a monorail resort next time, so we'll see.

Subscribing, would love to see what an 8 year old thinks of Disney. I will be taking my 8 year to Disney World in September.popcorn::

8 years old is the perfect age for Disney, I think! They are so mobile at that age, don't tire out very quickly and we were able to do so much, especially just the 2 of us! I hope you have the same experience!

I'm late, but I'm here. We were there splashing through Debbie too, 6/21-30. My original plans were to stay at WL, but life had other plans and we ended up back at our first resort, All-Star Movies. I sitll hope to stay there one day, maybe on a holiday trip.

My daughter is 9 and I have a two year-old. I love reading mommy and me trip reports too. Looking forward to hearing how you made Debbie's presence work for you. Even though it got tough at times, I know we definitely saw it work for us. It didn't prepare us for the heat wave that set in at home while we were gone though. Came home to 100 plus degrees. Wanted to turn around and get right back on the plane. :lmao:

This mommy and me trip was really special. The tropical storm was actually a blessing in disguise--it was way more good than bad for us! I would definitely recommend WL at some point if you can stay. I will have trouble staying anywhere else, although would like to try all the Deluxe resorts at some point! I'm glad you were able to see the bright side of Debbie as well!

For our first full day in Disney, I had a plan. I set a wake up call for 6:45 a.m. to try to make opening at Epcot. Jordan was set on having "room service" for breakfast, because we did that every morning last Disney trip when we stayed off-sight. I told him no room service here, but I ran down to Roaring Forks to buy breakfast and eat it in the room before leaving. Close enough, right? My original plan was to eat granola bars for breakfast every morning and brought a bunch, but I ended up paying out of pocket for the yummy quick serve breakfasts most mornings instead. Jordan wanted eggs and bacon and I got a breakfast sandwich.

DisneyJune2012085.jpg

Breakfast was yummy, I really enjoyed the sandwich. Jordan, who loves bacon, hated Disney bacon, as most everyone agrees, it is not good bacon. We ate breakfast on our balcony and noticed the stormy rain clouds rolling in. I knew it was forcast for high chance of rain for the next few days and brought ponchos from home. Unfortunately, the thin ponchos I brought were no match for TS Debbie, and I ended up buying the Disney ponchos for us, which you will see later in pictures. The Disney ponchos are a much better quality, lasted us the whole trip, and I would invest in those again for rain in Disney.

Soon, we were at the bus stop for Epcot!

DisneyJune2012086.jpg

It was rainy already.

DisneyJune2012087.jpg

Happy to be headed for our first park! This was Jordan's very first time in Epcot, and I hadn't been since I was 12!

DisneyJune2012088.jpg

We made it for the opening and headed straight for Soarin.

DisneyJune2012089.jpg

DisneyJune2012090.jpg

It was our first time on Soarin, and what a great way to start our trip! We both adored this ride! It was truly magnificent! Jordan wanted to go again right away, but the line was building, so we got a FP and then did Living on the Land next. I don't have any pictures of it, I don't know why. We enjoyed Living on the Land, Jordan was obsessed with finding Hidden Mickeys, which we found a few.

We must have gone to Innovations next. Jordan loved playing the interactive games.

DisneyJune2012091.jpg

DisneyJune2012092.jpg

Mom, why are you still taking pictures of me?

DisneyJune2012093.jpg

Next, we were back on Soarin again!

DisneyJune2012094.jpg

DisneyJune2012095.jpg

We really loved Soarin, so much. I would have to put it on my top 3 favorites in all of Disney.

We then went on Mission Space, Green side. I get motion sick easily and hoped Green side would be okay. I have no pictures of this area for some reason. It was only about a 10 minute wait. We really waited for nothing more than 10-15 minutes at Epcot all morning! The rain was coming down harder and harder as the morning went on. We weren't that bothered by it and loved the short lines!

Mission Space was fun, I am not sure it was one of our "must do" rides though. I would do it again, but it seemed really short and didn't stick in my mind as an amazing ride. The pre-show seemed longer than the ride itself.

We next went to The Seas for the Nemo ride. This was cute.

DisneyJune2012096.jpg

Jordan was fascinated with how they imaged the cartoons into the tank with the real fish! One of his favorite questions during this whole trip was "how do they do that?" Unfortunately, I didn't usually know the answers!

I really enjoyed Turtle Talk after the Nemo ride. What a clever show! Jordan and I sat way in the back (we just snuck in to the show before it was filled, and only because we were only 2 people and the family in front of us had 10 people who wouldn't be separated! We got lucky a lot getting into rides and shows because we were only 2!) Jordan and I laughed a lot during Crush. Again the question from Jordan: "how does he do that?" about how he could hear us and answer our questions.

Our last ride before lunch was Spaceship Earth.

DisneyJune2012098.jpg

It was really pouring and this was the longest line of the day for us, I think. We had to stand outside in the rain in line for at least 10-15 minutes before getting inside. We really didn't mind and Jordan was so fascinated he was going inside the "big ball!" I should mention here that he was convinced we were inside the big ball during Living with the Land in that greenhouse part! I'm sure he isn't the first kid to think that!

We really enjoyed this ride and I would like to do it again to absorb more of what was going on around us. We had fun picking our future.

DisneyJune2012100.jpg

DisneyJune2012101.jpg

DisneyJune2012102.jpg

My notes say that we went back to the hotel for lunch. I am having trouble remembering this and took no pictures. I think we got flatbread pizzas from Roaring Forks and ate in our room. We rested for a bit, from about 2-3 before heading out to the Magic Kingdom for the afternoon! That will be in the next installment, along with our dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern!

Overall, we had an amazing morning at Epcot. We weren't used to walking around in the rain yet, and it bothered us less and less as the 3 full days of rain progressed. It was nice not to have very long lines, which was my main concern on this trip, going at the end of June. I wanted us to be able to do everything, which we pretty much could! We were going back to Epcot again, and this first morning in Epcot we accomplished everything on my list I wanted to finish! :yay:

Thanks for reading!

I was there almost those same dates--man that rain was something!

Your son seems like a really great kid :goodvibes I'm looking forward to the rest of your report!

After our break for lunch at the hotel, we were off to the Magic Kingdom! Before leaving, we went to the gift shop to buy the Mickey ponchos and new Disney hats. The ones we brought were just not cutting it. Jordan LOVED his new Mickey ear hat and wore it for the rest of the trip. He is not a hat-loving kid, so this was a big thing!

You can really see the rain here while waiting for the MK bus in our new gear:

DisneyJune2012103.jpg

I just love the Magic Kingdom.

DisneyJune2012487.jpg

DisneyJune2012488.jpg

Jordan was sooooo into meeting characters on this trip. He absolutely loved seeing them, interacting with them and having them sign his autograph book!

Our first stop was Tomorrowland. We picked up FP for Space Mountain and then met these guys!

DisneyJune2012104.jpg

And then...

DisneyJune2012105.jpg

Jordan with his treasured autograph book:

DisneyJune2012106.jpg

I'm pretty sure we rode TTA while waiting for our Space Mountain passes to be ready.

DisneyJune2012107.jpg

We had never been on TTA, and I have to say, we loved it! It goes faster at times than you would expect and it is so neat to go inside Space Mountain and hear about all the fun things to do in Tomorrowland!

Next we met Buzz! One of Jordan's favorites.

DisneyJune2012108.jpg

DisneyJune2012110.jpg

It was great there were so many characters out in the rain with short lines!

Happy in the rain!

DisneyJune2012111.jpg

Next we met--

DisneyJune2012112.jpg

I have no more pictures after that until dinner because the rain was so much, I was afraid to ruin my camera.

We went on Space Mountain with our FP and I have to say...we both hated it. It was too fast and jerky and Jordan did not like not being able to sit next to me. This is one we will cross off our list on future trips.

But, we next walked over to Splash Mountain, and it was a walk-on, late in the afternoon! I remember saying to the CM there--"I love the rain! No lines!" He laughed and said "yeah, who doesn't love the rain!" It was not my plan to do Splash this afternoon due to the probably long wait, but the line was non-existant! We absolutely loved this ride. It is so fun, and long and the drop is great!

Next, we did Thunder Mountain! I think we picked up FP for this before Splash, so did not wait again! I have to say, Thunder Mountain is probably my all time favorite ride in all of Disney. It is just the perfect mix of thrilling, fast and entertaining for me. Jordan loved it too!

Next, we did Pirates of the Carribean. This ride is a classic must do for me but I was a little bored on it. I wish they would do more drops or movement during the ride. Jordan loves Pirates though. pirate:

Then it was time for LTT! When checking in, Jordan showed the CM that the writing on his Happy Birthday pin was all smeared from the rain. She took it and rewrote it and put scotch tape over the name so it wouldn't wash off again! That was nice. Funny though--the CM at LTT wrote his name in script this time and Jordan kept saying no one would be able to read his name because it wasn't printed...only because he hasn't learned script in school yet! :rotfl: We waited a while for our ressie at LTT--there were a lot of people in the waiting area drying off and waiting for their tables.

I must say, I didn't expect it to be, but this meal at LTT was one of my favorites. The food was amazing, and I am usually not a huge fan of the Thanksgiving offerings. Everything was just so delicious. Also, our waitress was so lovely.

DisneyJune2012115.jpg

Jordan ate almost this whole basket of bread by himself!

DisneyJune2012116.jpg

DisneyJune2012117.jpg

The atmosphere was so cozy and I really appreciated the historical aspect of the restaurant.

DisneyJune2012118.jpg

Jordan ate only the mac and cheese (along with the bread)--I think I only was able to steal a small bite of the mac and cheese--he ate the whole bowl! I thought the turkey, stuffing and everything was just delicious.

They did a birthday song for Jordan in which they clapped, sang and rang a bell. Jordan was very happy.

DisneyJune2012120.jpg

I have a picture of the servers singing and clapping but I can't get it to copy from photobucket for some reason.

Oh and the dessert was incredible. Jordan just ate his birthday cupcake but I loved the apple cake thing, which was warm, with ice cream. I am a big fan of warm desserts with ice cream on top!

After our very enjoyable dinner, we went back out in the rain and went to the Haunted Mansion. We tried the new queue, which was a lot of fun. Again, I have no pictures of the night in MK because of the pouring rain! We had a great time in the Haunted Mansion.

We next ventured to Fantasyland and did Mickey's Philharmonic--a first for us! What a great show. I can't wait to do this again next time we visit.

On our way out, there were two characters Jordan was dying to meet, so we stopped at the character stop!

DisneyJune2012121.jpg

The one thing that is strange about meeting characters in the rain is that some of the CMs make you take off your wet ponchos when meeting them and some don't. I am glad we have some pictures like these without our ponchos on but it was a bit of a pain to take them off and put them back on again for a quick 30 second meet like this!

Minnie was so adorable--I told her she was so cute and heard her giggle! I didn't know they could do that! Jordan was in heaven meeting the main mouse! I wanted to go next door to meet the princesses, who had a short line too, but Jordan said no princesses! :rotfl2: Oh well.

By now it was about 9 p.m. and we were doing the parade and Wishes another night (the parade and Wishes was delayed anyway--we actually got to see Wishes again from our balcony once we returned to the hotel) so we left to get a good night sleep. It had been a very long day, and Jordan was a trooper! We were ready by now to get out of our soggy clothes and turn in to our cozy room. It was raining so hard, the boats weren't running so we had to take the bus back. I love how close our hotel was to the MK!

Our day was so great. Despite the wet conditions, we didn't let it bother us and got more accomplished in both rides and characters than I ever dreamed we could in one afternoon at the MK! To do all three mountains in a couple of hours, meet numerous characters, and do several other headliner rides all in one afternoon/evening at the MK was just so amazing. We slept so well that night after such a full day at both Epcot and MK and couldn't wait to have another full day tomorrow!

Up next: Day 3: we sleep in because we accomplished all the headliners at MK, another split day between MK and Epcot, dinner at the Biergarten and Illuminations!

I was there almost those same dates--man that rain was something!

Your son seems like a really great kid :goodvibes I'm looking forward to the rest of your report!

Aw thank you! Jordan is a great kid and this trip was a great bonding experience for us. It was very special.

Yeah, the rain was definitely incredible, but we made it work for us. Jordan actually loves the rain and doesn't mind getting wet. I was the one that really had to adjust and live with the sogginess. The Mickey ponchos were great though and the other good thing was wearing crocs instead of socks and sneakers. I don't think I could have survived in wet socks all day! I was much more concerned with accomplishing everything on this trip than being wet so it was all good for us!

So I just had to share...after a lot of contemplation, I just booked a new trip from January 16-January 21, 2013! I had a hard time deciding this...it is over MLK weekend, so Jordan is off from school Monday, but I have to take him out of school for 2 days, Thursday and Friday (we are leaving late Wednesday, after he gets out of school). I have always been against taking kids out of school for vacations but finally decided that 2 days would be okay, and worth it to see Disney in the cool, off-peak season.
We are staying at AKL (no Savannah view, I couldn't justify the price. We are getting a pool view and staying for 5 nights. I am cutting costs also by getting only a 4 day non-park hopper, and just doing one park per day. We are doing the regular dining plan. We are also doing IOA one day to see Hogsmeade again (we did this a couple years ago and really loved it--plus Jordan is really into the superheros and loved the Spiderman ride and meeting the superheros there.)

The plan right now is:
1/17 Epcot, 6 p.m. La Hacienda reservations
1/18 MK, 11:30 p.m. Crystal Palace reservations
1/19 HS, 4:30 p.m. Prime Time reservations
1/20 IOA, 7:30 p.m. Boma reservations
1/21 AK, 8:05 a.m. Tuskar House reservations.

We are leaving on a 4 p.m. flight on 1/21 so only doing a half day at AK. I think that should be fine. I also may cancel Boma if they open up reservations for Be Our Guest, in which case, we will do Be Our Guest dinner on 1/18. I loved Boma on this past trip, but we did it before.
I am definitely doing a long late August, 2013 trip as well, so I know whatever we don't get to on this shorter trip can be done in August. My plan in August, 2013 is to do a split stay between a monorail resort and an Epcot resort and also visit a water park on that trip. Hoping for a 10 day visit in August.
I know they haven't announced any discount or free dining offers for 1/13, but do you guys think they may offer something for that time of year? It would be nice to get a discount.
So excited! I just hope I don't regret pulling him out of school for 2 days.

Jackie,
Don't feel bad for taking your son out of school. We took our son out for a few days to a whole week every year in elementary school. He always has good grades, so was never an issue. You will look back on the memories made and be glad. That being said only you know your child. Mine is in 8th grade now and once he hit middle school, it has been impossible to take him out because of the workload. I never thought I would take my kid out of school either, but I don't regret the family time we have spent together(not just Disney trips either).

Shondra

Yay! for such short lines for you because of the rain! You got a lot accomplished on day one!

And double YAY! for a new trip booked! We stayed at AKL last Aug with no savannah view and it was fine....we just went to the regular viewing areas to check out the animals. For whatever reason, it was always just zebras. ;)

Jackie,
Don't feel bad for taking your son out of school. We took our son out for a few days to a whole week every year in elementary school. He always has good grades, so was never an issue. You will look back on the memories made and be glad. That being said only you know your child. Mine is in 8th grade now and once he hit middle school, it has been impossible to take him out because of the workload. I never thought I would take my kid out of school either, but I don't regret the family time we have spent together(not just Disney trips either).

Shondra

Thanks Shondra. I think it will be ok taking him out for only 2 days. You are right, the memories and experience while he is still young are worth it! He is not the strongest student but works hard and hopefully the teacher will work with me in giving him work to make up on the plane!

Yay! for such short lines for you because of the rain! You got a lot accomplished on day one!

And double YAY! for a new trip booked! We stayed at AKL last Aug with no savannah view and it was fine....we just went to the regular viewing areas to check out the animals. For whatever reason, it was always just zebras. ;)

Yes, we got so much done on that first day and really every day of the trip! That first day of no crowds was great because we knocked out all of the headliners and I wasn't as stressed in Epcot or MK after that getting things done.

I'm happy to hear that AKL without Savannah was fine. I figured that this was a shorter trip and not much time would be in the room, but I just loved visiting AKL this past trip and wanted to experience staying there. I want to try all of the deluxe resorts before doubling back on my favorites. Who knows, maybe we will get a surprise upgrade! Here's hoping for some pixie dust :wizard:! But if not, that is fine too.

Hi everyone! I hope everyone is having a great weekend!
On our third day (second full day) my original plan was to do a full day at Epcot. However, I changed my mind based on how much we got done at Epcot the day before, and decided to do a morning at MK and afternoon/evening at Epcot. Also, we did not get up for rope drop, since we were not in a huge rush to get to any of the headliners this morning, as we did them all yesterday! Unfortunately, that meant we never saw the rope drop show at the MK, which I kind of regret...and this is a must do for my January trip!
We woke up around 8:30 and had another Roaring Forks breakfast in the room. I believe we made it to MK around 10. Our first stop was Buzz Lightyear's Spin. We had a blast on this ride!

DisneyJune2012123.jpg

DisneyJune2012124.jpg

Jordan bought a Buzz figure.

DisneyJune2012126.jpg

Next up was:

DisneyJune2012125.jpg

I really loved this attraction. It was really funny but of course I cannot now remember any of the jokes. Jordan really loved watching the laugh meter go up.

I remember that when we came out of Laugh Floor, the pouring rain had suddenly stopped and everyone in Tomorrowland was cheering! It was such a great atmosphere. For the rest of the day, the rain was pouring in spurts, enough to keep the parks with pretty low crowds, but we definitely were not as wet as the day before.

Next we did Carousel of Progress. I remember this ride from when I was a kid. Jordan really enjoyed it and I thought it was entertaining...but once every 20 years is probably enough for me :rotfl:

Castle shots:

DisneyJune2012128.jpg

DisneyJune2012129.jpg

Next we went to Fantasyland to hit up Pooh. The line was about 20 minutes. The new queue helped with the waiting!

DisneyJune2012130.jpg

DisneyJune2012131.jpg

DisneyJune2012132.jpg

DisneyJune2012134.jpg

DisneyJune2012135.jpg

DisneyJune2012137.jpg

The Pooh ride was cute, but wow, I don't think it is so good to warrant the usual lines I hear about!

New construction:

DisneyJune2012139.jpg

I cannot wait to see this new area! I hope much of this is open on my January trip.

Next we stood in about a 25 minute line for Pooh and Tigger.

DisneyJune2012140.jpg

DisneyJune2012141.jpg

Tigger was funny--he stole Jordan's pen and tried to get Jordan to jump high to reach it!

DisneyJune2012142.jpg

DisneyJune2012143.jpg

DisneyJune2012144.jpg

Next we had lunch at Cosmic Ray's. This wasn't really the plan, we just happened to be near it at lunch time. I remember Jordan had a bit of a meltdown at this point--he insisted he wasn't hungry and wanted to just ride more rides, but I was starving (it was probably almost 2 p.m. by now). So I ordered myself a burger and once I paid he suddenly said "ok I want chicken nuggets." So I had to get his as a separate order. I really loved the toppings bar and loaded up on mushrooms for my burger and vinegar for my fries! Jordan was clearly hungry and ate all his chicken. We ate outside with a clear, beautiful view of the castle:

DisneyJune2012146.jpg

Our food:

DisneyJune2012145.jpg

Continued in next post...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter