Trip Report: Italy - Amalfi Coast June 15-22 2016 with pre-days in Rome

Climbing St. Peter's Dome. This was one of my favorite memories from my visit 16 years ago. Needless to say, the climb was much easier at 21 vs 37! It did make me a little sad to see the metal detectors, but 2000 was a different time.

Thank you for posting the pictures. Looks like you are having good weather and sounds like you are having an amazing time. Enjoy your vacation!

VIP Colosseum tour with Palatine Hill and Roman Forum...with a pre-stop for gelato! The Colosseum and Roman Forum also have metal detectors. But Roma Termini train station does not??? That was the only place I got a little nervous. There were Italian military with machine guns everywhere we went, though. And at least two police officers and a car were outside our apartment all day, every day.

Mixed berry with lemon and Nutella.

Colosseum

Palatine Hill and Roman Forum

Last edited:
I did not sleep at all on the flight to AMS, and waiting for our flight to Rome was pretty miserable. The AMS airport is really easy to navigate, though.

I know that feeling. That layover at AMS is always pretty miserable.

The Trevi Fountain is looking pretty good. Wasn't that under rehab for the last couple of years?

Last edited:

I'm so glad the renovation of the Trevi Fountain is done, and you were able to see it in all it's glory!

LOVE your photos! The views from the Dome are amazing! I really need to do a tour of the Forum when I finally make it back to Rome!

Sayhello

Last edited:
Sayhello
I'm so glad the renovation of the Trevi Fountain is done, and you were able to see it in all it's glory!

LOVE your photos! The view from the Dome are amazing! I really need to do a tour of the Forum when I finally make it back to Rome!

Sayhello, Robyn says hello :)

Sayhello

LOVE your photos! The view from the Dome are amazing! I really need to do a tour of the Forum when I finally make it back to Rome!

Sayhello

Pics from the Walks of Italy Pristine Sistine tour (sparse because photography is not allowed in the Sistine Chapel, and as the crowds increased, I had little motivation to take pics).

The Death Star is at the Vatican.

Great view of the dome

True artisanal gelato - mint with chocolate and peanut (NOT peanut butter!)

Last edited:
We had Robyn in our Glacier National Park tour a few years ago. She is absolutely wonderful. Tell her the family from Vermont says "Hi". WOW!!!! What wonderful pictures. Thanks again TXTransplant for taking the time to post for all of us.

We made it to Sorrento after a short train ride from Rome to Naples. The car ride from Naples to Sorrento was a bit tedious, as traffic was terrible. But we arrived just before 2 and had time to do a little shopping, eat gelato, and swim in the pool before the welcome dinner.

We are a group of 27. Guides are Robyn and Marco V. One family is on their sixth ABD, another is on their fifth, and two of us are on our second. I'm really pleased with the size (when I checked at final payment, I'm almost certain the count was well over 30, so I think some people must have cancelled).

The hotel is beautiful! I forgot to get a pic of the room, but the bathroom is spectacular! Much better than the pink marble palace last year. All of the tile is hand painted (we have butterflies in the shower!).

Dinner was on the roof top terrace and was wonderful!

The bathroom.

Pineapple basil with lemon and cinnamon with vanilla ginger. The absolute best so far!

Mt. Vesuvius from the roof top deck of the hotel in Sorrento.

Sunset

Last edited:
I known that feeling. That layover at AMS is always pretty miserable.

The Trevi Fountain is looking pretty good. Wasn't that under rehab for the last couple of years?

According to our guides, it was. It really did look beautiful. Unfortunately, the Spanish Steps are covered in scaffolding right now (which is why I have no pics).

According to our guides, it was. It really did look beautiful. Unfortunately, the Spanish Steps are covered in scaffolding right now (which is why I have no pics).
If I had to chose between seeing the Trevi Fountain or the Spanish Steps sans scaffolding, I'd pick the Trevi Fountain hands down! I think you got the better deal!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter