Trip #8; But Was It Great? A WDW MAYcation with a side of LegoLand & Celebration, FL!

I'm finally ALL caught up!!!

• YAY for DS riding Maelstrom!
  • The pics of the topiaries at Epcot are great- hope to make it there in May to see them for myself!
  • Sorry the caramel shop was a let down. Everything sure looked yummy in the pics though!
  • So weird you had a third wheel guy on your anniversary dinner date? Why would they seat you so close especially knowing it's an anniversary?
  • Very cool pic of the boys holding Epcot. Going to have to remember that trick next trip!
  • The video of DS jumping in pool was a riot! He looked like he was freezing afterwards!
  • Awwwww to the classic Potato Head pic of the boys! Glad you're keeping up with that tradition!
  • DTD balloon- gorgeous views! Glad you finally got to do it.
  • Lego store- only an hour for DS to decide? That’s not too bad! My DS loved the large Lego Ninjago guys they had built. he said we need to go to the Lego Store at DTD very soon!
  • Bummer the boys had no luck with the sword. Better luck next time!
  • Casey’s- Did they know your boys by name by the end of the week! They love that place!
  • Love, Love LOVE the Lego minis of you and Jodi! Hilarious! Dole Whips and a ride on Soarin. Those minifigures sure are living the life!!!!
  • The boys look so bummed on last morning. At least you got a plush new ME bus to take you to the airport.
  • Disco Dale- what the?? How on earth did he make it into your TR????
  • Ooooh love the wine glasses and car sticker. Adding them to my wish list for next trip!

I think that's about it!!!! So sad to see your TR is over. Can't wait for the Jodi and Shelly December trip PTR!

I love all your souvenirs! Is that a Celebration calendar? I bet there are some beautiful pics in it. That part of your TR seems so long ago!

I also love the wine glasses. Even though I don't like wine. ;) But DH does and I like finding pretty wine glasses. Maybe I can work out a deal with him that we really need some of those glasses.......

Lucky Jack! He has a very special family. :thumbsup2 Are his toys still in one piece? :laughing:

Love all your souvies!!!! I am with Teri,...I like the glasses,don't like wine! I think we are in a very tiny minority, but there it is!!
Looking forward to your PTR if you decide you have time to do it,...if not, just give us a quick run-down and save all your writing strength for documenting every last detail of y'alls trip in December!!:goodvibes

Wow-- you got lots of souvenirs!! I didn't buy one last trip!!:rotfl2:

Love the wine glasses; don't drink it either but love them! I have a MM head wine opener that I use when I need wine to cook with. Otherwise it's in the drawer unused. :confused3

That window sticker is adorable!! I think it is fun to be riding down the roas and see someone with Disney stuff. I don't see it very often here, but in PGH I saw it a lot.

I can't believe that our tickers have two's in them!!! It is scary to think it's just around the corner.

Can't wait to read YOUR PTR.;)

:surfweb:

You got some cute stuff Shelly!

I might have to get those oven mitts for myself. Glad the puppy likes them. :dog2:

Are those colored cups stacked in the back? Plastic? I love those!!

And I want one of those WDW stickers! I'm totally getting one next month. :thumbsup2

So sad this is over. Wah. :sad1:

Looks like you guys got some great souvenirs!:thumbsup2 I just love shopping in WDW!

I love WDW shopping too!! :cool1:

I like that sticker too!! I didn't see those when we were there. I have the one that says my other car is a monorail. :)

Love that sticker. I'll have to look for that next time we're there.

We actually found that sticker in the BWI gift shop. Never did see it anywhere else. :confused3 Maybe they sell out fast!

I'm finally ALL caught up!!!

• YAY for DS riding Maelstrom!
  • The pics of the topiaries at Epcot are great- hope to make it there in May to see them for myself!
  • Sorry the caramel shop was a let down. Everything sure looked yummy in the pics though!
  • So weird you had a third wheel guy on your anniversary dinner date? Why would they seat you so close especially knowing it's an anniversary?
  • Very cool pic of the boys holding Epcot. Going to have to remember that trick next trip!
  • The video of DS jumping in pool was a riot! He looked like he was freezing afterwards!
  • Awwwww to the classic Potato Head pic of the boys! Glad you're keeping up with that tradition!
  • DTD balloon- gorgeous views! Glad you finally got to do it.
  • Lego store- only an hour for DS to decide? That’s not too bad! My DS loved the large Lego Ninjago guys they had built. he said we need to go to the Lego Store at DTD very soon!
  • Bummer the boys had no luck with the sword. Better luck next time!
  • Casey’s- Did they know your boys by name by the end of the week! They love that place!
  • Love, Love LOVE the Lego minis of you and Jodi! Hilarious! Dole Whips and a ride on Soarin. Those minifigures sure are living the life!!!!
  • The boys look so bummed on last morning. At least you got a plush new ME bus to take you to the airport.
  • Disco Dale- what the?? How on earth did he make it into your TR????
  • Ooooh love the wine glasses and car sticker. Adding them to my wish list for next trip!

I think that's about it!!!! So sad to see your TR is over. Can't wait for the Jodi and Shelly December trip PTR!

Oh my you really are all caught up!! I bet that took awhile. :faint: Hope you enjoyed!

We were so happy DS10 decided to ride Maelstrom - something we can all ride together now! IDK why they sat us next to (or almost with) that guy at the Yachtsman. :confused3 Crazy! Yep - only about an hour in the Lego store, but it seems like an eternity. :crazy2: Yes, Lego Jodi and I have the life!! :cloud9::rotfl: And IDK where disco dale came from or who let him in here!!! :scared1::eek::scared1::lmao:

I love all your souvenirs! Is that a Celebration calendar? I bet there are some beautiful pics in it. That part of your TR seems so long ago!

I also love the wine glasses. Even though I don't like wine. ;) But DH does and I like finding pretty wine glasses. Maybe I can work out a deal with him that we really need some of those glasses.......

Lucky Jack! He has a very special family. :thumbsup2 Are his toys still in one piece? :laughing:

Thanks! That was actually just a little flyer about Celebration. I know, it seems like forever ago that I was writing about Legoland and Celebration. :faint:

We don't drink wine either!! But our hutch just needed those MM wine glasses! ::yes::

Yes, actually the oven mitts are still in one piece. We had gotten him one last August and it got destroyed - while he was getting his adult teeth. :eek: So we got him new ones! He is getting his use out of them, but not totally destroying them, yet!

Love all your souvies!!!! I am with Teri,...I like the glasses,don't like wine! I think we are in a very tiny minority, but there it is!!
Looking forward to your PTR if you decide you have time to do it,...if not, just give us a quick run-down and save all your writing strength for documenting every last detail of y'alls trip in December!!:goodvibes

Thanks! :)

I might have time for a quick PTR. We'll have to see. I need to take a look at my plans. I made them quite awhile ago and then put them aside and got busy with summer and now school/work, so I need to get back to them and take a look!

Wow-- you got lots of souvenirs!! I didn't buy one last trip!!:rotfl2:

Love the wine glasses; don't drink it either but love them! I have a MM head wine opener that I use when I need wine to cook with. Otherwise it's in the drawer unused. :confused3

That window sticker is adorable!! I think it is fun to be riding down the roas and see someone with Disney stuff. I don't see it very often here, but in PGH I saw it a lot.

I can't believe that our tickers have two's in them!!! It is scary to think it's just around the corner.

Can't wait to read YOUR PTR.;)

:surfweb:

Did you even make it to DTD on your last trip??? :faint:

I know, we don't drink wine either but our new hutch/server was so bare - so we just had to fill it with something cute! :)

You are right -- there are tons of people here with MM stuff on their cars!! I love seeing it too! :goodvibes

I know - these trips are sneaking up on us. :scared1: I am so unprepared. :crazy2:

As for a PTR, I think it's your turn for a little writing.....::yes::

You got some cute stuff Shelly!

I might have to get those oven mitts for myself. Glad the puppy likes them. :dog2:

Are those colored cups stacked in the back? Plastic? I love those!!

And I want one of those WDW stickers! I'm totally getting one next month. :thumbsup2

So sad this is over. Wah. :sad1:

Thanks Kelli! :)

Those are actually really nice and thick oven mitts! Yes, those are plastic cups. They came 4 in a pack - yellow, blue, green, and pink. With white MM heads on them. I really like them, but the MM heads are coming off a little already.

You definitely need one of those stickers! :thumbsup2

:eek:

You know I have a hard time writing BEFORE the trip. I'm much better afterwards. ::yes::

Probably b/c of all the ridiculousness that occurs in my path. :rotfl:

Nope, never did go to DTD, but going on that Sunday this trip!! After I see you, of course. ;)

I like all your souvenirs! That car sticker is cool - I have a few things on my car (including a family with mickey ears), but that one might go on DH's truck!

My co-worker friend says she likes to park next to me because my car makes her smile!!

I think you two should just keep posting here about your plans - just random information and chatter - you are so fun when you guys do that!!

:eek:

You know I have a hard time writing BEFORE the trip. I'm much better afterwards. ::yes::

Probably b/c of all the ridiculousness that occurs in my path. :rotfl:

Nope, never did go to DTD, but going on that Sunday this trip!! After I see you, of course. ;)

Okay then, we will all be waiting on your TR!!! :cool1:

You better get to DTD that day. But yes, not until you greet us upon our arrival! ::yes::

I like all your souvenirs! That car sticker is cool - I have a few things on my car (including a family with mickey ears), but that one might go on DH's truck!

My co-worker friend says she likes to park next to me because my car makes her smile!!

I think you two should just keep posting here about your plans - just random information and chatter - you are so fun when you guys do that!!

Thanks!

It makes me smile to see WDW stuff on other people's cars too! :)

Hmm...maybe that's a good idea to post our plans right here. :thumbsup2

Final Thoughts...

Well I guess I'll start with the same question I always start with in my final thoughts – Was this the best trip ever??? And that is unfortunately a big fat NO! Was is awful – well not really. Although at times I probably would have said yes. :scared1: It does fall into the category of our 'not so great trips'.

FLIGHTS. Well what can I say here....I didn't book them when they first came out because I wasn't sure if we were even going to be able to take the trip at that point. So I waited it out after I knew we were going and normally the flights come back down in price about 6 weeks out. That didn't happen this time. And the only flight down I could get was at 6pm. :sad2: Arriving at your resort after 9pm is not fun and really doesn't get the trip off to a good start. I will never do that again. And the price we paid was ridiculous!! Nearly twice what we normally pay.

WEATHER. Yeah, it was HOT. And this is coming from someone whose last trip to WDW was in August. :faint: It was bad. Hotter than our August trip. And the humidity was awful. The trip started out in April and went into the beginning of May and I never expected temps in the mid 90's each day. It was hard to take at times. We didn't encounter much rain, so that was good. Although maybe some clouds and rain would have cooled things off a bit! The heat did put a damper on some of our days. I remember it being especially hot and humid on our LegoLand and Celebration day. And we didn't stay for dinner in Celebration because we felt so gross. :sick:

CROWDS and PARKS. The crowds were awful. We have gone to WDW in May 2X before, but both were the second week of May. This time was the first week of the month. IDK if that makes the difference or if May is just more popular than it used to be. :confused3 But there were some big crowds. Going to the parks on the weekends was pretty much a waste. Lots of groups and lots of locals I suppose. The week days weren't quite as bad, but still busier than we expected. Luckily we did MK on Wednesday and Epcot on Thursday – those days weren't too bad! But overall it was a super busy time and I think that will be our last May trip.

The parks themselves were good! Of course MK is still all torn up in FantasyLand and then there was 'Big Blue' right there on Main Street. :upsidedow Other than that, things were as magical as always there. Went there 2X. Epcot was fun too, but we sure missed Test Track. Made it there 3X if you include the first night. DHS was good, nothing out of the usual going on there. We only made it there one time though, we usually go twice. And we didn't make it to AK at all this time. We used our AK day at LegoLand instead! I didn't really miss AK, but I am however looking forward to going next time.

RESORT. Well what can I say here? I usually come home loving the resort we stayed at. Not this time. The Beach Club just didn't live up to all the hype for us. In-fact it was just the opposite, we really didn't care for it at all. Just too 'busy' for us. The SAB pool was a zoo. All the time. Just loud and crazy. Not a relaxing atmosphere at all. The lack of CS choices was annoying too. And then there was the room itself and the lack of response to the situation by the BC staff. But we've already gone over all of that. The view from our balcony was gorgeous! And of course the proximity to Epcot and DHS is awesome! But I don't think we will ever stay at the BC or YC in the future. The next time we are feeling the need to stay in that area it will be back to the BWI or giving the Swan or Dolphin a try!

TRANSPORTATION. I don't think I have any complaints here!! So that's a plus. :thumbsup2 Of course we walked to Epcot. Took a boat to DHS. And didn't do to AK. So we only used the bus to go to MK and DTD. Transportation to MK was good. Only the YC & BC share that bus. The bus to/from DTD shares with 5 resorts – YC, BC, BWI, Swan, Dolphin. It is ridiculous to have to have nearly an hour trip to get back from DTD – but we knew that going in and prepared for it and left plenty of time.

DINING. We went without the DDP again and loved it again!! We can eat for way less paying OOP than with the DDP now that the kids are considered adults. And we love the freedom from worrying about all the TS, CS, and snack credits on the DDP. We just buy a WDW gift card before we go and use it to pay for our meals, that way it is all prepaid! TS Dining highlights – Garden Grove, Big River Grille, Tony's Town Square, T-Rex, ESPN Club, and Kona of course! Wow, that was about all of them!! I think the only ones we didn't love were Beaches & Cream and the Yachtsman. Neither were bad, just didn't love them. As for CS meals – we had good meals at Casey's Corner (the kids!), Pecos Bill, Liberty Inn, and BW Pizza. And a not so good meal at the BC Marketplace (are you sensing a 'not so good' pattern with everything at the BC for us??) And we found that just grabbing snacky type food from the stands at DHS is the best way to go for CS there. And we had lots of yummy snacks at the parks and resorts!!

LEGOLAND and CELEBRATION. So how was our first ever trip off-site??? Pretty good!! We made it there without getting lost – so that was a good thing! We got there before park opening and they were already letting people in. Low crowds early in the day! The rides were just okay. The employees were just okay. The shows were okay to good. We sure knew we weren't in Disney anymore! But the place is really amazing. Especially if you have a little Lego lover in the family like we do!! He was in heaven with all those displays. :cloud9: He was so amazed by it all and so happy. :) And that was really the goal for the day. :thumbsup2 We had a great day, could have done without such intense heat, but all in all it was a very good time.

Celebration is a very cool place. Something that every Disney lover should see at least once. Unfortunately by the time we got there is was the hottest part of the day and it was almost unbearable. So we didn't really get to do or see all that we would have liked. Even left before dinner because we just felt too gross to go into a restaurant. But it is definitely a very cool little town and I would like to go back under different circumstances someday. And I still think I would like to retire there!! :cloud9:

So was the trip a total bust??? No! We did have some good times - even though it might not sound like it after all that you just read! :rotfl: We had a really fun evening at MK that Wednesday! We had a super fun day & evening at Epcot on Thursday too. We had lots of good meals and some nice resort time at the Poly and the BWI. :goodvibes

Looking forward to our Disney future......

Well, as of right now I have 3 Disney trips planned. In my head. :laughing:

1)WDW in Dec 2012 – GF & Poly split
2)DisneyLand in Aug 2013 – Disneyland Hotel
3)WDW and Universal in Aug 2014 – BWI & maybe a Universal Resort split

So yes, this is all in my head, but it could all happen.....You never know!!

As for December – the plans are pretty much set. Dec 9-16. We have airfare already. We have 2 free nights at the GF, due to our disgusting room and lack of response of the BC staff. And then we will switch over to the Poly for 5 nights – we booked this from the bounceback that was in our BC room – at 35% off! I bought 5 day base tix from Undercover Tourist earlier this summer before the price increase. So we won't be spending a ton of time in the parks! But that's okay, we are wanting lots of resort time on this trip! We are looking forward to seeing all the Christmas decorations and the Osborne Lights again. :santa: And of course looking forward to seeing Jodi and family again! :cool1:

Guess that's it. I hope you have enjoyed!! :wave:

loved it! Great wrap-up! Hopefully your next resort stay will outshine any you have had so far!! Can't wait to hear more about it from you and Jodi!! Love all your mind-trips you have planned!!!

loved it! Great wrap-up! Hopefully your next resort stay will outshine any you have had so far!! Can't wait to hear more about it from you and Jodi!! Love all your mind-trips you have planned!!!

Thanks Shawna! Glad you enjoyed the TR. :goodvibes Yes, hopefully our next resort stay will be a good one. :wizard:

Glad to hear that the whole trip wasn't too bad! I certainly enjoyed reading all about it.

I've said it before, but the BC really ought to be ashamed of the room they gave you, am so glad they compensated you with the two free nights :)

We will be in WDW in four weeks, doing a Poly, DCL and BC split, wonder if we'll love the Poly as much as you did!

Looking forward to hearing all about your new trip!

Shelly, that was a great wrap-up to your TR! :thumbsup2 I'm glad that you still enjoyed your trip in spite of some disappointments. I think it says a lot about your family that you make the best of any situation. Most importantly, you don't fuss and fight (unless you left that part out :laughing:), and I think that would be the biggest thing that could spoil a vacation. And I bet there are many families that do just that.

I am so shocked at how hot and crowded it was in May. We've been twice in late May/early June and it was hot, but not overly so. Or maybe it's just that we didn't notice it, since it's so blasted hot where we live. :scared:

I love your idea of gift cards to pay for meals. It gives you the same freedom of prepaid meals as with the DDP, and actually comes out costing you less. We did the DDP on our last trip, but from what I understand, there have been many changes and cuts since then. Plus we ordered things that were included that we never would have it they weren't. We never order desserts when we eat out, but we did with the DDP. I think there is an awful lot of wasted food with the DDP.

Today I was in Books-a-Million, and I saw some Lego Architecture sets. Of course I immediately thought of your DS10! I had never seen that before. Of course, it's probably been around for years. :laughing: My DS played with Legos, but that was a long time ago.

I'm glad you added your December dates and plans in your recap. I had forgotten just when you were going and how many nights at each resort. That is going to be an awesome trip! Oh wait! I take that back. "Trip #9, not so fine."

I hope you remember that little joke! ;)

Oh my gosh what can I say about this being over?

I loved the wrap up- it's always great to read them--- such a great re-cap of all that occured.

And I think it is awesome that you tell what happens the way it happens, without trying to pixie dust coat the negatives. Honesty is the best policy!:lmao:

It's sad to me that you didn't love the BC-- It could have been so different if they had only taken the time then to do what is expected when a guest is unhappy. But I am thankful in a way that they waited to do it-- I am benefiting from their lack of professionalism b/c you're staying with us at the Grand!!

It's gonna be.... GRAND!!!pixiedust:pixiedust:

Thanks for taking the time to do the TR. I know it's tough at times b/c life gets in the way of being able to DIS they way you want to. But we all appreciate you sticking with it and writing it all out for us to enjoy.

:banana:85 days till you leave on your next journey!!:banana:

Oh my gosh what can I say about this being over?

I loved the wrap up- it's always great to read them--- such a great re-cap of all that occured.

And I think it is awesome that you tell what happens the way it happens, without trying to pixie dust coat the negatives. Honesty is the best policy!:lmao:

It's sad to me that you didn't love the BC-- It could have been so different if they had only taken the time then to do what is expected when a guest is unhappy. But I am thankful in a way that they waited to do it-- I am benefiting from their lack of professionalism b/c you're staying with us at the Grand!!

It's gonna be.... GRAND!!!pixiedust:pixiedust:

Thanks for taking the time to do the TR. I know it's tough at times b/c life gets in the way of being able to DIS they way you want to. But we all appreciate you sticking with it and writing it all out for us to enjoy.

:banana:85 days till you leave on your next journey!!:banana:

Well said,..and yes, you have a vested interest!! LOL!! I am sure you 2 are gonna have a blast in December...makes me jealous!! Jodi...tell us some of the crazy things that have happened to you lately,... i know this entire summer has not passed completely uneventfully for you....give us something to ponder!

What a wonderful TR!:goodvibes I'm sad that it's over, but I'm glad that you will be going to WDW again soon, and that I will have another TR to read from you!:rotfl:

I'm sad that you didn't like BC (not my favorite resort either), but you had very valid reasons not to enjoy your time there. I'm glad that you still had a nice time though!

By the way...check out my ticker.:rolleyes: Yes, I switched resorts. Again. But, my girls were begging me to book the Poly. And, of course, I could not say no to that! So now we are booked there AND the trip is paid off!:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter