• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transitioning to NO stroller- ack!

I took DS for the first time just after he turned 5. I never used a stroller for him. He's an adult now and goes without me.

DD is 6 and this will be her 5th trip and our first without the stroller for her. DH and I will both have Camelbacks and will split what we need for the parks. DD will be walking and will either carry a small bag or her Camelback. We have been practicing on the weekends. We fill up the Camelbacks and put what we normally carry in the parks in them and then went hiking or exploring at the fort. Either way I've had her walking at least 3 miles without stopping and carrying her park bag.

For me it was also extra safety. When it was crowded I didn't have to worry about her getting lost, stepped on, etc. It gave her a place to sit for parades and fireworks. Also a place to get out of the sun.

I never found the stroller that much of a pain. Yes it was a bit annoying trying to hold onto it at the end of the night while standing on the bus, but it wasn't horrible or so bad I didn't want to have it. Mine also folds so that it can store upright so it wasn't bad on the bus.

My kids just turned 7 and 8. August was their 6 WDW trip but first without the stroller.

The first few days were rough. Full on melt down rough. We actually ended up spending a lot more time at Disney Springs and the different resorts because of it.

We are going in August again this Summer and I'm already planning a bunch of sit down and relax spots.

We stay onsite but drive to the parks. I'm a huge water drinker but don't like the taste of Florida water. My husband and I loaded up our backpacks with some bottles and then left a cooler filled in the car. We missed having it in the stroller but the only place it was a huge hassle was MK. So perhaps a locker with some bottles next time.

All this to say, no rush to ditch the stroller. You can always try a day without it and if needed call one of the stroller rental companies to deliver for the next morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter