Tower of Terror Closing Officialy?

bethwc101

DIS Veteran
Tower of Terror is officially closing on January 2nd? Is that true? Super bummed. They seem to always have good wait times and is highly popular. What's going on here?

Unfortunately it is closing for good. They have already taken down the sign and they have scaffolding up on the outside. The wait times today have been pretty long for the ride. We are going to try to do the late check out tonight at the ride.

Yup they are closing ToT forever......it just won't be the same as GotG for us

What's Disney doing here, you ask? Two words: cashing in.

And that to me is the odd part to me. The movie was nothing like Frozen in terms of popularity. I could understand it if it was wildly popular but I don't even know many people who have seen it and liked it. The movie just looks lame.

Unfortunately it is closing for good. They have already taken down the sign and they have scaffolding up on the outside. The wait times today have been pretty long for the ride. We are going to try to do the late check out tonight at the ride.
Nothing is like Frozen. It was still the 3rd highest grossing movie the year it came out, and Disney's highest that year. It's very popular at the Avengers race weekend and comic book conventions. It sounds like they're doing it in a way that could tie into other Marvel movies by using the Collector character.

Nothing is like Frozen. It was still the 3rd highest grossing movie the year it came out, and Disney's highest that year. It's very popular at the Avengers race weekend and comic book conventions. It sounds like they're doing it in a way that could tie into other Marvel movies by using the Collector character.

I don't think custoner demand has anything to do with it. I think they are doing it because Disney executives spent a ton of money on the Marvel franchise and they are worried about their careers if they don't stick something in the parks that is not tied to Marvel.

Even of that means wasting a ton of money and taking away a ride that their customers love. It's seems much more about corporate politics than giving the customers what they want. Before they announced this who was jumping up and down for a GOTG ride? Most people had never even heard of it, much less wanted a ride for it.

Alienating a significant portion of your customer base, and wasting tens of millions of dollars in the process, is a poor business practice to put it mildly.

I don't think custoner demand has anything to do with it. I think they are doing it because Disney executives spent a ton of money on the Marvel franchise and they are worried about their careers if they don't stick something in the parks that is not tied to Marvel.

Even of that means wasting a ton of money and taking away a ride that their customers love. It's seems much more about corporate politics than giving the customers what they want. Before they announced this who was jumping up and down for a GOTG ride? Most people had never even heard of it, much less wanted a ride for it.

Alienating a significant portion of your customer base, and wasting tens of millions of dollars in the process, is a poor business practice to put it mildly.
As someone who goes to comic conventions, most people I know have heard of it. There have been demands for Marvel in the parks for awhile. People wanted Innoventions converted to a Marvel ride prior to Launch Bay. Not everyone is interested in all of Disney's properties, but that doesn't mean no one is interested or most people haven't heard if it. It actually makes more sense to do GotG now, since there will probably be 2 more movies in that franchise. Iron Man and Captain America are done, there is 1 more Thor and 1 more Avengers, and that's it for those. A GotG theme is more easily tweaked as that franchise evolves.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 comes out next year, so it isn't as though putting the franchise in the park is random. Also, the first Guardians was very popular, got amazing reviews (it has a 91 on rotten tomatoes) and did extremely well in the box office. It was the highest grossing film of 2014! So it's useless to pretend that there's nothing behind it. From a financial standpoint, it does make sense. It's just super awful that it has to take away a classic, beloved ride's theming :(

In the Mice Age rumor today he said that they've closed one of the lifts to begin the maintenance that needs to be done for the ride change over and that the ride is going to run at 66% capacity (with each lift closing for a refurb) until the ride officially closes in January. If it's true then that along with demand to ride it "one more time" explains the very lengthy waits for the ride lately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter